Connally Steps It Up

connally7

So I barely squeaked in here long enough to post my results from the last challenge so this'll be real quick. I still gotta hit my workout and write some emails before heading to work. :mellow: Ahhh, so busy!!

Anyways, here's a brief outline of the goals I started on Monday. I'll be back later to expand on the gritty details of why I picked these goals and the parameters of the success or failure for each one. But for now... here's just the list.

Goal #1: Drink 64 oz. of water daily.

Goal #2: Workout at least 3x a week, and yoga at least 2x a week.

Goal #3: Eat 80/20 Paleo.

Goal #4: Practice Italian 15+ minutes a day, and speak Italian with another person at least 1x a week.

Goal #5: No TV.

Those are the basics that I'm trying to hit for the next five weeks. I'm real nervous about the last one (I watch a TON of television. Hulu, Netflix, HBO, pretty much all of it! :blink: Daredevil is just so good, ya'll! Arghhh!) But I am excited for all the free time to get junk done instead of watching tv, so there's that.

So I'll be back later, guys! :D Now off to hit those weights!

• Like 4

Level Three Ranger

STR 3.5 | DEX 4.25 | CON 4.25 | STA 4.25 | WIS 4.5 | CHA 4
STARTING STATS : 199 lb
CURRENT STATS : 191 lb
GOAL STATS : 135 lb

Instagram | Epic Quest

We are not our circumstances. We are our choices.

On 3/30/2016 at 1:26 PM, Terra said:

Good solid goals and yeah, that last one will be hard.  Although in the end I bet its worth every second you get to spend doing other fun things!!!   Following!  :applause:

It's already so hard! I picked the remote up three times on Monday without even realizing it! :nightmare:

And thanks!!

On 3/30/2016 at 2:34 PM, Raxie said:

Those are awesome goals!! I'm restricting TV on weekdays for myself as well, but I didn't go so far as to eliminate it completely - that's so awesome of you!! I'll be following along.

Thanks! It's gonna be a tough goal to meet. Good luck on your challenge as well! :D

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

Hooray! Thanks :D it's nice to have you along; I always need/appreciate all the encouragement I can get!

22 hours ago, Zirakzigil said:

Awesome, solid goals! (I'm trying to do the water thing as well. It's tough!)

Isn't it though?! I always think I'm doing so good and then it's noon and I'm wondering why I have a headache and "of course! I haven't had any water today yet!"

Good luck on your goals! ^_^

22 hours ago, Sea Level said:

Daredevil is so good. :D Good luck!

OHHHHHHHHMYYYYGALOSHESSSSSSS!!!!! (sorry, fangirling over how awesome it is!) Though holy crap, the violence level was a little higher than I was expecting. I mean, GoT totally desensitized me to all that blood and gore, but watching an episode with a friend kinda took me aback a little bit. But still, so fantastic!!

I only got 4 episodes in before the challenge started back up again! :(:( But hey, I guess I'll just have a ton of episodes to enjoy once I've beaten this challenge (and maybe learned some entertainment self-control since I currently have zero.) And thanks! :D

• Like 2

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

First of all, hooray for all the follows and encouragement already! You guys are the best!! :D

wpid-wp-1443803632471.gif

Alright on to the deets:

HEALTH/FITNESS GOALS:

Goal #1: Drink 64 oz. of water daily. {+1 STA}

- Tried to do this one last challenge and made it 23 out of the 26 days. Not too shabby but I can do better. Since this is such a basic building block of health and a good daily habit to have, I'm going for it again and hoping for more of an 90%+ range this time around.

anigif_enhanced-7030-1405610132-9.gif

Goal #2: Workout at least 3x a week, and yoga at least 2x a week. {+1 STR, +1 DEX}

- My goal last time around was to work out twice a week for the 4 weeks and I made it 100%! Woohoo! I even went to get a massage the other day and my therapist commented on my improved muscle tone in my back (hell-to-the-yeah on the small wins!!). So I wanted to push my comfort zone and commit to 3 workouts with 2 yoga sessions spread out over each week. The yoga will be more of 25-30 minutes of following just along with a video to help stretch my muscles, reduce soreness and increase flexibility. Also, it can tone down my crazy perfectionist tendencies that wanted to jump right into hitting 5 workouts a week. Which I know is too much too soon, but it's hard to slow my enthusiasm down sometimes.

BYT-Brad-Pitt-Workout-Gif.gif

Goal #3: Eat 80/20 Paleo. {+1 CON}

- This one is gonna be tough. I debated between this and committing to meal prep every week but I felt like that was too vague of a goal to track. And to succeed with this 80/20 Paleo goal, there's definitely gonna have to be some element of meal prep so I guess it's sorta built in.

- I've been slowly trying to head back into the Paleo eating camp (giving up cereal, cutting out soda and fast food, not buying bread, etc) but I haven't focused on committing quite yet. This will be a first step back into mindfully eating Paleo. I'm not expecting myself to be perfect, and so I'm giving myself quite a bit of leeway with the 80/20 principle. I usually eat about 2 meals a day depending on my work schedule (so either breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner. Don't worry, I snack a lot!). To apply this reality to my goals, I'm thinking 3 of those meals can be not-strict paleo and I'll still fit within my goal parameters. After a lot of research, I've decided to try this method as I think it will work best with my personality style. Cheat meals have NOT worked for me in the past! And I truly love chicken and veggies and apples and almond butter and all that good stuff :) so eating the right way won't be hard, especially if I know that eating a slice of cake on Wednesday or having a roll on Sunday date night isn't taboo. That freedom to make the "bad" decision actually leaves me more prone to pick the "right" decision more often than not because I don't feel pressured to, even if that pressure is completely internal. Weird how that can work sometimes, right?

xY-Gh9ms5HyMntFcWD5Acm26WfPTfrL7XodAF4q8

(You tell 'em, Leslie. Bacon and eggs FTW!!)

LEVEL UP GOALS:

Goal #4: Practice Italian 15+ minutes a day, and speak Italian with another person at least 1x a week. {+1 CHA}

- I did good on my 15 minutes a day of DuoLingo last challenge so I wanted to build on that and expand this goal to continue the daily practicing as well as meeting up once a week to speak ONLY in Italian. Actual whole conversations. Stumbling, terrible pronunciation, and dictionaries are all allowed, but I need to be verbally attempting to put together out loud coherent sentences in Italian. My goal is to be conversationally fluent and as I'm learning, the only real way to get there is to just start talking to second you know any kind of vocab. We only get better when we can fail alright and still move forward.

635915160627589989-304579294_tumblr_nzpi

Goal #5: No TV. {+1 WIS, +1 CON}

- I watch way too much television. I'm not quite sure when it started because growing up, we didn't even HAVE television. But somewhere along the line, I got addicted and it's gotten so bad that if you were to ask me "Do you watch a lot of TV?" I would have snort-chuckled condescendingly in your general direction. "Who, me? Watch a lot of TV? Pfftt! No way!" Which is a filthy lie. I watch way too much freaking television. (Especially the nerdy shows. Why, Daredevil?! I have stuff to do! Noooooooo!) The struggle is real, guys.

- But here's the tricky part, where do I draw the line. Like yah, of course, Hulu and Netflix and HBO all count. But what about movies with friends where there's a set ending point instead of an endless stream of episodes to devour? Documentaries? What about YouTube?! The grey areas are proving to be trickier than expected.

- My parameters for meeting this goal: no Netflix, Hulu or HBO Now. YouTube is fine if it is to be used for music only! Like for working out purposes. (No endless Buzzfeed videos of hysterical entertainment! I always try to convince myself it's okay because I'm "learning" something. Nope, I just want to watch drunk people try ethnic cuisine. ) Movies out with friends are fine because it's a sociable event but movies at home by myself are a no-go because it's difficult not to just pick another one once it's over.

- **My ONE exception: Game of Thrones season 6 premieres on April 24th and I will be watching it with my husband. End of story.

dwyer-kick.gif?w=500&h=238

P.S. I seem to do a lot of Parks & Rec gifs. I apologize for nothing. The show apparently just has a lot of moments that sum up how I feel about life.

And Andy Dwyer is my spirit animal.

And that's it. For now, I'll leave you with these immortal words of wisdom by Ron Swanson (and my motto for this challenge). Let's do this!

never-half-ass-two-things-whole-ass-one-

• Like 4

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

HEALTH/FITNESS GOALS:

Started strong than faded towards the weekend. Utterly failed on Saturday and Sunday. Definitely need to be more mindful of my coffee intake throughout the day.

Score: 70%

tumblr_mctalko.gif

Crushed this one! Hit two upper body workouts and one lower body, upped my sets on all three workouts and had 2 30-minute yoga sessions this week. The yoga was heavenly, relaxing and definitely kept my muscles from being too complainy at work the next day. (A big deal at my job!)

Score: 100%

tumblr_n2y80e8yBL1rqvclxo1_500.gif

Eh....didn't do too hot this week. I did some meal prep last Monday and was pretty good when I was at home. Work, however was a different story this week. You see, our kitchen started testing recipes for the new menu. And guys, I have this insane ability to not be able to turn down free food. Especially when it's a chocolate crepe filled with cherries and brandy sauce and whipped cream. :nightmare: So yah, I'm definitely gonna have to tighten up that good old self-discipline if I'm gonna make it through this next week. Pray for me.

Score: 30%

2969-I-Love-Food.gif?1

LEVEL UP GOALS:

Goal #4: Practice Italian 15+ minutes a day, and speak Italian with another person at least 1x a week.

Killed it at this one too! Didn't miss a day of practice this last week and I'm finally starting to feel like I know some relevant vocab. Best of all, my coworker and I have been randomly stopping mid-shift to puzzle out a sentence with each other and quiz each other on nouns or numbers. So much fun to have a study buddy! :D And I feel like it's extra motivating to practice my pronunciation when I'm at home so that it's easier for her to understand me and figure out what I'm trying to say.

Score: 100%

tumblr_n5c1tl5xw11r3ngh1o1_500.gif

So I failed on this twice this past week. On Tuesday, it was because my husband started watching a show and instead of leaving the room, I sat down on the couch and watched with him. For seven episodes. Then I looked up and realized that he'd left and I was just sitting on the couch by myself like a bump on a log and accomplishing nothing with my day. So I very shamefacedly shut it off and marked off a sad "Watched TV today" in my planner where I track my daily progress. And then I was good up until Saturday. Evil Saturday where I had to stay late at work because these horrible customers were horrible to one of my servers and then the paperwork was all wrong so I had to backtrack to find the error, fix it manually and left 2 hours later than I had planned. So I came home and angrily cued up Netflix for a good hour while I did my laundry. Apparently, TV is one of my rage outlets; who knew?! :nightmare:

Score: 70%

peoplearetheworst.gif

All in all, not the best week but not the worst either. It's getting easier to spot my stumbling blocks and where I need to tweak my habits so that I stay on track. It might be an uphill climb but at least I've got a good support team.

Here's to four more weeks of awesome!!

• Like 1

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Great job! I don't blame you for not turning down those free crepes they sound AMAZING!  Also I'm really impressed with your TV progress so far.

Thanks! Yah turning down any food is hard enough but dessert crepes? Just shove them in my face now. ^_^

And the no TV thing is sooooo much harder than I thought!! I reflexively reach for the remote every single time I go into the living room. It's a sickness. And I'm obviously not going to stop my husband from watching TV so sometimes it's on and it's difficult to force myself to keep moving instead of just joining him. Arghhhhh, no fun. :(

How I'm feeling this morning:

tv-all-day-nick-miller.gif

• Like 3

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

27 minutes ago, Firedance said:

I'm loving your challenge. SO MANY GIFS. I really like your percentage scoring as well, that's a good idea. 

Thanks! :D Lol yah it's the tumblr side of me. And I decided on the percentage scoring because it's the easiest for me to track on the long term. I have a daily checklist of all my goals and every night I run through them, and then at the end of the week I just divide how many days I made that goal by seven and round to the nearest 5% percent. Easy, breezy, and doesn't hurt my brain lol

• Like 1

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

1 hour ago, connally7 said:

And the no TV thing is sooooo much harder than I thought!! I reflexively reach for the remote every single time I go into the living room. It's a sickness. And I'm obviously not going to stop my husband from watching TV so sometimes it's on and it's difficult to force myself to keep moving instead of just joining him. Arghhhhh, no fun. :(

You are way stronger than the TV. You are going to so win at this goal.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Midweek Check-In:

Hit my minimum on all three days with l'acqua. Woohoo! Switching from our huge coffeepot to just making an Aeropress at a time has drastically cut down on my caffeine intake when I'm at home. I'm not a fan of making an entire new cup of coffee from scratch unless I actually need it. (Which I definitely did on Monday!)

giphy.gif

Rocking and rolling so far with a lower body workout on Monday, 30 minutes of yoga and a long slow hike on Tuesday and an upper body workout tonight. Woot! Working out has always been a killer source of stress relief for me. Just not the eating healthy part. Which speaking of...

63e5a4f7d2afa90c4c997854b2207827.jpg

Eh. Not terrible considering. I'm hitting super close to the mark right now, but the new menu tasting is wearing on my self-discipline. (Our new sandwiches are mouthwatering. Literally. I almost drooled at work, not even the slightest bit kidding. We have a delicious new Cuban to die for! :nightmare: ughhhhhhhhh!) I definitely snuck a bit or two of the new stuff today at work but ate veggies with grilled chicken for my actual dinner so not too shabby. Need to be careful for this weekend though. More dessert crepes are coming....

anigif_enhanced-16233-1391980960-2.gif

So happy with this one!!!! My practicing has gone from averaging 30-35 minutes towards the end of the last challenge down to about 20-25 this challenge, but my speaking has increased drastically so I feel as if it's a good trade off. Monday night, I had a coffee study date with my coworker and we did about 20 minutes in Italian give-or-take and then just talked about life in English which was equally as awesome! :D We also exchanged our study materials as I knew about an auditory pronunciation dictionary and she gave me the names of some great Italian comedians on youtube. Win-win!!

Golden-Globes-Tina-Amy-high-five.gif

I'm going to be brutally honest on this one, I watched some Buzzfeed videos on youtube this morning while I was eating breakfast. Only four of them but I felt guilty as heck so I'm sharing this with ya'll. Also I kinda-sorta-maybe-definitely hate this goal. I know it's good for me and I'll be happier than I accomplished it in the long run. But right now?

I really really really just want to watch some Superstore. Sigh.

vma-crying-9.gif

• Like 2

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

On 4/6/2016 at 5:54 PM, Terra said:

How goes week 1???  

It's going alright; thanks for checking in :D

Though the new recipe testing going on at work is very slowly chipping away at my self-control. Stay away, beautiful carbs! Stay away!!!! 

• Like 1

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

12935075_1609688146023311_446123766_n.jp12940707_979753928805204_1255183794_n.jp

Batch cooking like a boss!! Paleo meal prep for the win :D

Thanks to some recipe link help from the amazing Raxie, I made chipotle coffee pulled pork last night with some roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. One hundred percent paleo and equally as delicious!!

Now I have leftovers for days and it was soooo much easier saying "no thanks" to the decidedly non-paleo work food and just driving home to eat some real food. Hooray!

tumblr_lww91vRVKj1qlfwzk.gif

• Like 2

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest

So this weekend was rough emotionally. Really rough.

And the worst part is that I know it's just beginning. Lots of family junk going on right now. Luckily, both my husband and my best friend are solid rocks of sanity and logic to talk me through my overwhelming emotional breakdowns.

Me This Entire Weekend At Work:

fine-gif.gif

HEALTH/FITNESS GOALS:

I made it every day this week except for Friday so that's better. It's still not what I automatically reach for, even when I'm majorly dehydrated and my brain is like "hey, water is awesome! Go drink some, ya nerd!" I still have to make myself. I like water. I really do, but I forget all the time to just drink it throughout the day. It's still a conscious effort to get those 4 water bottles down in a 24 hour period which can be frustrating when I feel like it should be second nature by now. :(

Score: 85% (+15%)

635943885058177021-1562247948_manny.gif

Nailed it! I love my workouts, and yoga is really helping to keep the soreness at bay so I can go all out in every workout. :D Pretty ecstatic about this one! Which means I already know I'm gonna have to really challenge myself in this area for the next go-around.

Score: 100% (NO CHANGE!)

2-felicity-sit-ups.gif

LEVEL UP GOALS:

A little better than I thought though this weekend was a struggle. I grazed a lot at work, sneaking bites here and there and trying to keep it as paleo as possible by strategically picking food out. On Sunday night though, I was a wreck from the weekend which added up to...let's see, long work hours + family drama = one sad Chinese takeout fueled cry session. Yep. Oh well, I guess it could have been way worse. I'm more worried about my self-control for this week as I'm making triple dark chocolate whiskey ganache cupcakes for a coworker's going away party tomorrow night! :nightmare: I've already committed to myself that I'm only allowed to have TWO total, which is gonna be a hardcore willpower test as they will be sitting in my kitchen overnight. 

Score: 70% (+40%)

giphy.gif

I tweaked the scoring method on this one. I was just doing it 7 out of 7 for my daily practicing time. But since the vocab is beginning to get repetitive and I feel as if my speaking time is much more valuable to get in, I'm placing a 3/3 for getting at least one verbal study session in a week with my friend (0/3 if I don't get any talking time that week) added to a 7/7 for my daily practice sessions alone (total of 11 points possible out of 11). We've also decided to start learning more vocab revolving around work-related things so that we can start quizzing each other and have relevant Italian conversations throughout the work day. Hooray for sporadic learning opportunities! :D

Score: 65% (-35%)

gspzvop.gif?w=650&h=366

Goal #5: No TV

Sunday night: Chinese takeout and Fairy Tail happened. Sigh. You win some, you lose some, I guess. Every other day last week went surprisingly smooth so I suppose that's a general improvement over my reaching for the remote every single time I wandered into the living room. ^_^

Score: 85% (+15%)

tumblr_o13uvcWxHV1uw4754o1_500.gif

So yah, not looking forward to the next several weeks. It's gonna be rough emotionally and physically and there will be a lot of traveling. Which will be hell on my workouts (the only part of this challenge that I'm really crushing) so it's definitely going to take extra focus and willpower to finish this challenge strong.

Level Three Ranger

Instagram | Epic Quest