HeatherAllyse: 2016 - Infected pt. 2 (Heather vs. Zombies)

StarRuby

3/30/2016
"Not good," I told my impromptu sidekick. 

Jessica and I had been together since I plucked her out of a tree a couple months ago. Spring has come and winter walked away without dropping anything particularly fantastic on the ground. Oklahoma had become something of a crapshow to say the least, but it wasn't like this back in January. 

No, that's an entirely different story, but I guess we've got some time before the door breaks down.

"How many of them do you think there are?" the teenager asked with a shaky voice. There is a hard pounding at the door of the safe room. We'd managed to find a particular jackpot of supplies, but it seems like we weren't going to stay safe for long. The pounding on the door came harder. 

"Come out and we'll be lenient!" rang out a very intimidating, masculine voice. 

"You know, Jess? The one thing I'm learning to hate more than zombies is survivors," I grumbled. 

Yeah, I guess I should catch you guys up-to-date. Tell you how we got here and how a scrawny teenager and I decided to be big damned heroes. More importantly, I need to tell you guys why I beat that seven day deadline.

Maybe I'll get through the story before they break the door down.

Hey lovelies!

I'm back on Nerd Fitness. I fell off the face of the planet right at the end of my last challenge, but to let you all know: I successfully finished the January Challenge, even if I didn't actually get around to posting it. 

One of the big things about being largely housebound is that I now have a little more time to exercise and not working as much has made me much, much more creative with my food choices. It's pretty fantastic, all things considered. Thank you all the people who came and checked in on me, and I wanted to post this bit to you to let you know that I am fine!

I missed the February and March challenges, not because of anything weird and woeful, mostly just because I forgot about it all and was like "Aw, crap, we're already a week into the challenge and I don't have any goals." So, I was carefully waiting in the wings for the April challenge so I could get back in the saddle, so to speak. 

I'll be posting goals tomorrow, just wanted to jump in and tell people I'm super excited to get back in the game and, finally, make some headway on the story I was writing.

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

Good luck!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Hello lovelies!

It's that time again (what time is it?) it's the day that I come out and say what I am doing for this challenge! I actually made a thread this month, so I am going to stay on top of it. Good faith effort and all that jazz. 

I'm thinking that, instead of time requirements, I'm going to look into doing tasks that are actually adventures. Real, honest-to-goodness adventures, even if they are mini adventures. I'm starting to find that being at home and being by myself for extended periods of time lends itself to a lot of negativity and a whole lot more boredom. Sure, I go do some work with my mom but that is an entire can of worms that is probably part of my Epic Quest. 

Fitness Goal: Exploring the Map: Walk to one place you've never walked to before every day. 
Thirty minutes is all well and good. Thirty minutes of walking is what I aim for, but walking up and down my block for thirty minutes got tedious and I found all sorts of excuses to not do it. While I've driven all over my neighborhood, I've not actually walked through good parts of it. Hell, there is a Burger King across the street that I've never walked to! Drive thru? Hell yes, but walk? Heaven forbid it! On top of that, I live by a library and I've never actually walked there. 

This challenge is one part fitness and one part regaining independence. I don't have a car anymore, and I don't feel nearly as comfortable driving as I used to be, so walking places would be pretty dang empowering. 

PASS:

Blue Star (A): Most of the week (6-7 days)

Red Star (B): 4x-5x per week

White Star (C): 2x-3x per week

Yellow Star (D): 1x per week

FAIL: No walking whatsoever. None. Zilch. Nada. No stars for you!

Stat reward: +2 stamina 

Fitness Goal: Harder. Faster. Stronger: Reduce 5k time by 4 minutes.*
The best I've ever done at a 5k race (straight movement, street race- not an obstacle course) is 57-ish minutes. I pretty much walked the whole thing, but I didn't stop moving for terribly long. Now, I'm out of shape but I want to get that time down to 53-ish minutes. I don't know if this is an unreasonable goal, but I figured that getting a minute off my time each week shouldn't be too bad, right? I've got a lot of room to go up, I figured?

PASS:

Blue Star (A): 3 minutes 1 second - 4 minutes

Red Star (B): 2 minutes 1 second - 3 minutes 

White Star (C): 1 minute 1 second - 2 minutes

Yellow Star (D): 0 minutes - 1 minute

FAIL: You didn't actually maintain time. This actually took you longer than it usually does. 

stat reward: +1 dexterity, +1 stamina
*Caveat: This challenge is going off of "Best time". Ideally, I would keep time off, but I am

happy if I have a couple really good runs (4 minutes off time!) and I just consistently lost 2 minutes total. 

Lifestyle Goal: Negate Status Effects: Take your medicine on time, as prescribed
This is super hard for me. I don't do a good job of maintaining a schedule, so getting my meds and vitamins and food is super hard. I will spend good chunks of time forgetting that, yes, I have nutritional needs. I'll also forget that I didn't take my medication all day so I end up taking it at weird hours and, for those of you who have not been on any longterm medications, the time of day that you take it is super important. Blahblahblah, longstory short: Heather, take your dang pills. 

PASS:

Blue Star (A): All medications taken at appropriate times (Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Bed). 95-100% compliance

Red Star (B): Medications taken at appropriate times (Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Bed). 80-94% compliance

White Star (C): Medications taken at appropriate times (Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Bed). 65-79% compliance

Yellow Star (D): Medications taken at appropriate times (Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Bed) 1-64% compliance

FAIL: There is no failing in this beyond not being medication compliant at all. The goal is to reward having actually done it, not punish the act of not doing it. I have a tendency to say "screw it" when I miss my chances at a mostly-perfect score on these challenges. 

Stat reward: +1 constitution, +1 wisdom

Personal Development Goal: Metamorphosis: Write 3 poems per week
My girlfriend helps with a high school poetry class, and she looked at me with gigantic puppy eyes and said "You're going to do the April poetry month with us, right?" And I, poor fool, said that I would. I'm immediately regretting this because I am horribly afraid of poetry and yet I will do this anyway and subject young adults to the horrors of my writing. 

She and I have very differing views on writing and the teaching of creative writing, so I am actually looking forward to getting her feedback on her prompts. 

Here are her instructions: they are in the spoiler tag so you don't have to see ALL of them all the time. 

Spoiler

This month is Metamorphosis
(April 1) Define your monthly theme, your metamorphosis. Tell the future, the past. Define writing, define your self­­define your writing.
(April 2-4) Triptych: write a poem in three parts. Bugs have three stages of life.
(April 5-7) Creative Writing Primer: Acrostic, Concrete, Haiku, Cinquain, Sonnet,Limerick. Explore three forms of poetry as you would a forest
(April 8) Make your own form! Or free verse it! Be like the wind!
(April 9-11) Spend some time really tearing apart a writing you’ve just made. Be atornado, the hungry maw of a hunting beast. Have no mercy.
(April 12-14) Like the bark of a sycamore, leaves in fall, and the molting of a butterfly, drop your words on the page.
(April 15) The halfway mark like the peak of a mountain. All downhill from here.
(April 16-18) Absurdist, Imaginist, Objectivist, Confessionalist, Projectivist, Beat: Twentieth century poetry gives us so much to grow from.
(April 19-21) A flower flourishes with sun, water, and a ground with good nutrients. Uproot yourself; try something different from the weekend movements.
(April 22) Seasons change. On the Fall of your journey (but it’s spring) have you sprung too far, fallen too fast, and what do you see on the way down?
(April 23-25) Write yourself an Epic, a Ballad, or A Theme song (or all Three!) Write yourself into every background, every leading part. You are the sun.
(April 27-29) What do you see as you walk through your day? What have you seen as the night draws? What do you wish to see in the morning?
(April 30) Look back: Epistolary poetry, were your thoughts on theme throughout the month what you thought they would be?

You guys are going to be subject to the horrors of this month. May the gods have mercy on us all. 

stat reward: +1 charisma, +1 wisdom

BONUS CHALLENGES
All challenge: Hydration is important: 32 oz water every day: +0.5 con
All challenge: Survivor story, pt 2: Journal every night: +0.5 wisdom
Week 2-3 challenge: I <3 Jackie Chan: Run up the quarter pipe at the park: +0.5 dex
Week 3-4 challenge: Basic training: One whole week of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout: +0.5 strength

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Ooooh poetry and story~ following for all dem words!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brief check in this morning! 

Medicine... Check!

last night's journal... Check!

last night's water... Check! 

Aaaaaaand the morning poem from yesterday has been written

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Okay! Time to check back in with everyone and give a little bit of a rundown. 

I still have an hour and a half until I plan on going to bed, but it's already dark outside and I'm a little concerned about going out exploring while it's dark because I don't want to get lost in a place I'm not super familiar with in the dark. Residential streets can be something of a labyrinth. 

Tomorrow morning, though? I have the fullest of intentions to walk down to the Walgreens and buy batteries. Why? Because I have a label maker! 

Challenge Updates
exploring the map? Not today. I did walk around for 30 minutes, though, so that's a win from last challenge. 

I haven't timed my 5k time, because no Walking with Purpose today. 

Medicine HAS been taken on time and as prescribed, though! All the pills down the hatch at the appropriate times. Medications, vitamins, weird fish oil pill (that I'm not 100% sure what it does but I figured "Why not? People say this is healthy!") have all been taken as recommended at the right times. Go me!

Bonus challenges: 
Drank over 64 ounces of water today, I was a thirsty little beast. 

Journal is getting written. 

I am mentally psyching myself up for running up the quarter pipe. 

And now, the cinquain (description in link) I wrote for my girlfriend (who is a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe fan). She wanted a triptych for the first assignment, so I wrote a series of cinquains based around The Death of Captain America story arc from the comics. There's some rumor that they might actually kill off Cap in the MCU, since Chris Evans only has 1 more film in his contract whereas Sebastian Stan has nine. (Which I don't really want to happen? I love Bucky but dang, bro, cap didn't even technically die. Did my research! Captain America: Reborn, August 2009! Plus they wussed out with killing Coulson in the MCU.) 

But, as they've said before, MCU doesn't necessarily follow the comics. Black Widow rant hidden in spoilers, BTW.

Spoiler

I'm still a little peeved about Black Widow's big, soul-crushing secret being "Oh, the place where I trained made me infertile!" I get that it is a big thing for women, but dang come on. Acting like her being infertile is the thing that makes her less human and unlovable instead of the NUMEROUS crazy things she's done while being a spy? ("You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code. Something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away!" Thanks, Loki! And the io9 article I got the quote from) 

As a person who will probably not make bio-babies without a lot of work(thanks, PCOS)  I was pretty insulted by this. I'm not less of a woman, or less of a badass, because I can't have kids. Grant you, I wasn't forcibly sterilized, but I think the Red Room situation would have been way more horrifying if, as a young child, she had to (I don't know) maybe kill her parents or something? Slaughter all of the other spies that were supposed to be getting initiated (or THINK they are getting initiated)? Some unspeakable atrocity or some line she thought was sacred that her teachers were like "Nope. You have to know how important it is that you not have connections." It would have been genuinely awful if she was forced to "tie off her own loose ends" as it were. 

Basically, it made me grump around the house for a few days until I got over it. 

BUT! Without further ado:

A Star, a Symbol
Rogers
displaced, anachronistic
Leading, fighting, grieving
Do what is right. 
Captain

Friends
separated, reunited
Laughing, defending, dying
Only one is left.
Companions.

Barnes
charming, lethal
Remembering, avenging, grieving
You carry the shield.
Captain

Poetry confessional in spoilers

Spoiler

I don't know if I actually like cinquains, because it makes me feel like I'm being a little pretentious? I know it's a form and it's a completely valid form, but it feels super bizarre to me. Maybe I'll get used to it? I wrote a NSFW Shakespearean sonnet yesterday, too, that is in the works of getting revised but I don't think I can actually share that one with some high schoolers. I'm finding it hard to keep on topic in such a fashion that it is PG-13.

The poem that I wrote above made my girlfriend make this :(:(:(:( weepy mournful face because she ships Cap and Bucky so hard. I have to revise it into lovey love territory as a present for her. I told the missus that I would write slash fiction for her and her response is "How are you going to do that? I'm a multi-shipper"

Challenge. Accepted. 

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

As someone with potential bio-baby issues (septate uterus) I too was less than pleased that that was the big dun-dun-duuuuun moment for her.

• Like 3

Quick driveby!

I had an adventure yesterday. That adventure was going to the Walgreens. 

I spent an hour on my couch trying to convince myself to go. I tried to lord things over my head and say "You have to do this thing!" and I was scared. I couldn't even figure out why I was scared. It's just leaving the house, right? 

So, it took me an hour to get out of the house for a trip that took me all of thirty minutes to walk down, get what I wanted, and then come back home. This was a learning experience because I found out that I actually do live by a lot of things and my house is pretty conveniently located if I want to do things like walk to the post office or go to the library to go grocery shopping. I'm also a mile (and some change) away from TWO parks. TWO!

Anyway, this will become a big, epic post later. For now, I just wanted to share the joy. This is definitely some inspiration for the next chapter of the Big Zombie Epic. 

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

It goes! It goes! I am camping this weekend and therefore going into the dreaded wilderness with bugs, sunshine, and the shambling hoards of sunburned peoples

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse