Stealthstitcher has Adventures: Now with 34% More Art!!!

poor puppy :(

did you work out?

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

12 minutes ago, MichiruSedai said:

did you work out?

I did! And I appreciate you asking. The only reason I did is that I didn't want to have to say I didn't. Accountability ftw, right? But I had to lie to myself a lot to get through it, cause I really wasn't feeling it tonight. "Just do the warmup, then you can quit. Well, why not at least do one set, and then you can do the rest later. Two sets is enough; do one more and you can quit. Look, you're already 2/3 done, finish it and get it over with." I do think it was wise to swap out two exercises for handstand and cartwheel practice, rather than adding them to my workout. Also, getting used to being upside down is going to take more practice than I expected. 

Calories are at 1422.

Was for some reason very tempted to go buy curtain rods today. I do need curtain rods eventually for the remodel, but since I haven't even painted yet I obviously don't need them right now. Resisted the impulse purchase and therefore have a chance of not going over budget for the month.

Still no drawing, but I may yet do some tonight. The evenings just seem to vanish in an instant, especially when I don't get my workout done in the morning.

Semi-side note: my mom and I have decided that at the end of the summer, if we have lost the amount of weight we want to lose by then, we will do a makeover montage. Not actually filming one, though that could be fun, too, but we'll go together and get new hairstyles, buy new outfits, and do makeup, just for fun. My only concern with this is that, while I definitely have weight that needs to come off for my health, she seems to be obsessed with losing "the last five pounds". She's lost about 50, which is great, but she has some body image issues so I'm concerned that for her, it will always be five more pounds until she's where she wants to be. My suggestion that maybe some core work could help give her the slim waist and flat stomach she wants was not well received. It's her body and her choice; I just wish she could see the success she's already had. 

• Like 7

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Sorry to hear about Jax :( *digital hugs/comforting thoughts*

I love mentally tricking myself into doing workouts. 1) Come on, just get your shoes on. 2) Welp might as well go warm up right? Just for a little. 3) One set won't be too bad ..... etc. Or my favorite during running: "Just get to that lamp post and you're done" forever and ever and ever.

• Like 4

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

9 hours ago, Garjan said:

Or my favorite during running: "Just get to that lamp post and you're done" forever and ever and ever.

Until you run past the last lamp post. But then you know you've run to Narnia, so it's a win-win.

Just barely managed to keep my calories under 1500 - 1491 for the day. Had one of those conversations with myself - 

Self: Hungry!
Me: Okay, well, in two hours we can go home and cook supper.

Self: Don't want supper.

Me: What do you want?

Self: Candy! Chips!

Me: Then you're not hungry. 

Self: Am hungry!

Me: Do you want some real food?

Self: ... no ...

Me: Then you're not hungry. Now hush.

Self: throws self on floor, kicking and screaming

Sometimes it does seem to help to visualize yourself as a two-year-old. You wouldn't give a two-year-old whatever she wants just because she's throwing a fit; sometimes you have to say no and be firm and put up with the hysterics. 

I don't know when I'll get to the park to start walking the trails. Although there's a slim chance the weather weekend after next might be decent. I'm not saying I can't hike in frigid slush. I'm just saying, I don't want to if I don't need to. 

• Like 8

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

Your talk with self is great!

• Like 2

Challenges:

On 4/3/2016 at 11:19 AM, stealthstitcher said:

Step 1: Grow Beard (working on it)

Step 2: Get Pointy Wizardy Hat (easy, I've already got one at work)

Step 3: Meddle in the Lives of Hobbits (I'll move onto this once I have steps one and two done.)

Don't blame me when thirteen dwarves to show up for dinner. (Or ... do.)  

Dear Gandalf

Please meddle in my life.

From,

Hobbit

I think my Self Talk could learn something from yours. Preferably not the tantrum part though.

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

8 hours ago, Blaze said:

Your refrigerator is inspiring, and/or depressing.  I should probably clean mine out...

Good luck with your challenge!

I feel like I should have an angelic choir sound effect and a gleaming golden light when I open it. Trust me, it does not ordinarily look like that. 

2 hours ago, MichiruSedai said:

Your talk with self is great!

I personify all my moods/voices. And basically every inanimate object. And the weather. 

• Like 4

Stealthstitcher

I could use a fridge clean out too.... weekend goals i guess. Spring cleaning since it looks like it's gonna snow again :P

Next time my inner 2 year old screams for candy/cookies/chocolate I'm definitely going to follow your method. Yay logic!

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Catching up on your recent posts made me laugh out loud more than once. Personifying moods, running to Narnia...it's all gold. :)

• Like 2

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Heyo, finally got caught up on yours! Love your ideas, and give you so much luck for your inner food planning! Sorry about Jax :(

It wasn't until college where I finally realized my inner self is my toddler self and middle school self.... Learned to have to take 1 day at a time for "how I get things done". Back in December & January when I was trying to eat mainly paleo, I would literally go nearly twenty hours without eating. Which would end up with me not wanting to anything until I had that cake dinner.... Though sounds like your inner child is a bit more rational with meal planing.

Just give you plain luck to get past through the "belated Spring Snow lion"

• Like 1

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

Okay, I'm going to post this now, rather than wuss out.

Today was bad. Not appallingly end of the world bad. More like, well that was stupid bad. Or in other words, today toddler self won.

I did really well on keeping under my calorie limit for five days, and I totally credit pre-prepping all the meals. Then today I had to meet a client to shop for wedding dress fabric. She had something incredibly specific and also non-existent in mind, and she kept looking to me to magically produce some kind of solution, like using my reality warping powers to make the fabric store carry her imaginary fabric. Problem: I don't have reality warping powers. And it's difficult enough for me to meet with someone in a crowded store on a Saturday and play the role of bright, outgoing professional who is interested in problems like not being able to find the perfect shade of ivory. Long story short (too late), I bought a package of cookies and ate all of them in the car on the way home. 

The thing I'm fighting now is that weird instinct to say, "well, the rest of the weekend is ruined, can't eat healthy again till Monday, might as well order pizza." The week is not ruined, the day is not ruined. I made a poor choice, it's over, move forward. 

Also, brainstorming for the future - this is a habit I've developed; stressful situation = package of cookies. I need to actively develop a different habit. I feel like trying to just power through is maybe not the best solution for me right now. My thoughts go something like this:

Recognize stressful situation: Sometimes I don't even realize I'm stress eating until half the cookies are gone. Learn to say, "That was a stressful situation. Therefore, I will enact the stressful situation protocol."  

Develop a stressful situation protocol. I'm thinking maybe ... some kind of fancy tea available at the ubiquitous Starbucks? That would be readily available and would put something in my mouth. But other suggestions are welcome, if you have any brilliant thoughts. Basically something that would only be for post-stressful situations, serving the joint purposes of de-stressing and killing the cookie habit. Something that can be easily done in the car on the way home; no delayed gratification in this scenario. 

Anyway, that was today so far. 

• Like 4

Stealthstitcher

Hey. We all do it.  I hope you are able to keep it from snowballing into the pizza and all the other things, though.  That's a huge fallback for me.  I am a stress eater so I would've likely done the same thing.  Honestly the only thing that helps me at all is to not carry cash.  I don't like doing a bunch of small charges on my debit card, so I'm not as likely to swipe it for a few bucks of chocolate as I am to fork over the cash.  Big hugs to you, and tomorrow will be a better day!

• Like 2

Challenges:

Hey you're not alone. My 12-16 hour days are the ones where I say f*ck it lets order pizza - even though I have real food at home that I can cook (but just don't feel like it). And then there are the days that even though I go to the grocery store to get real food, I also end up buying cookies from the bakery and at least half of them disappear on the way home. Or the remains stay in my car cause I'm ashamed to bring them in the house for my BF to see. 

Rambles above are just to say you're not alone. It's cool and other people have the same "comfort food" fall backs when stuff gets rough. But one of the big rules of the rebellion is not slipping twice in a row. Yeah, cookies maybe weren't the best impulse to give into. But as you said, it doesn't mean the day is ruined. It's going to take some time and effort to rewire habits like that - and beating yourself up after the fact won't make it any better. Anything fun/non-food oriented you can do to spoil yourself? Bubble bath? Good book, favorite movie? Blast you're favorite music to sing and dance along embarrassingly with (somewhere no one can see you of course)?

For me blasting my playlist of favorite "angry Metallica" songs in the car is a good way to let it all out. But your starbucks tea suggestion works too - I think they have a passionfruit tea that's pretty kick-ass iced. 

• Like 3

Oh jeesh, on a busy Saturday shopping for fabric.... I don't even go in certain cities on a Saturday unless its for something outside of the main areas.

Give you luck on the fall back on food. I think the easy part is "picking up something nice and sweet and ready to go". So I would say try out the tea, I know last year when I didn't want to deal with a Philosophy class (never wanted to go, for several reasons) I would buy a Sparkling Tea drink (or known as bubble tea) when I went to class. Something special, that I think helped to prevent me eating mainly cake for breakfast xD

Otherwise I'm in the same situation, trying to figure out what can help all in the end. Give you luck!

• Like 2

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

Honestly so impressed by your "I've eaten one packet but the weekend is not dead" success!

*Sends in a cheering zebra*

Good luck with replacing the evil sugar craving beasty when things start sucking. Crossing fingers that you find the right thing first time 

• Like 2

Sending vibes of motivation and love to all x

Thanks, all, for support and suggestions! 

The week in review: 

Goal 1: Staying on budget

Yes and no ... I realized that the reason I always seem to go over budget on groceries is that I'm simply not budgeting enough for groceries. I was still working with the same grocery budget I had for a diet heavy in pasta and cereal and low in meats and fresh vegetables. Since I don't want to cut out the meats and veggies, it was necessary to rework the budget. This means less available to go into savings but hey, things cost what they cost. 

Goal 2: Cooking and calories. 

Meal prep went really well. Met my calorie goal 6 days out of 7, although due to cookies I was 1500 over my daily goal on Saturday. But oh well. I still lost 3 pounds, according to my weigh-in this morning! 

Goal 3A: Cartwheels

Practiced 3 times, which is less than I wanted to do. The reason being, I only worked out 3 times this week. Also less than I want to do.

Goal 3B: Walking the park

No walking done, due to foul and angry weather.

Bonus goal: Art

Did some sketching on Sunday. Still working out some design details. I want to incorporate a functional cutter/draper's utility belt into my character design, that I can one day make and use. But if it's going to be functional, then I need to plan and work out the details.

The plan for this week:

Goal 1: Don't spend any money! Shouldn't be too hard, barring disasters. All meals are prepped and I'm not out of anything else essential.

Goal 2: Hit my calorie goal 7 days out of 7! Prepped all my meals yesterday. This week's offerings are beef pepper soup (from paleoleap), Greek chicken salad (from fedandfit, with some modifications), and a frittata of my own invention. 

Goal 3A: A minimum of 4 workouts, complete with headstand/cartwheel practice

Goal 3B: It is supposed to be gorgeous on Saturday. Go to the park and walk as many trails as possible.

Art: No specific goal, since this one is purely for fun. But maybe finish character design/technical renderings of utility belt? 

• Like 5

Stealthstitcher

I like your goals, you seem to have hit a good stride picking stuff that can make real changes for yourself without being too ridiculously unrealistic to actually accomplish.  And as usual, I very much enjoy your narrative.  I'm very excited for you and your mom's makeover montage.

I'm really sorry about Jax.  I love my dog so much and sometimes I'll just be sitting in the car and I'll think about how she's going to get old and die in a couple years and start crying like a crazy person and thinking about the possibility of that coming sooner and unexpectedly just kills me.  You have my sympathies, for what internet stranger sympathies are worth.

Good luck this week.  Your meal options sounds great.  You may like http://mybodymykitchen.com/ for some ideas if you start getting bored.  It isn't Paleo, but it's meal planning emphasizing whole foods, so there are a lot of potential options.

• Like 1

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

Recognize stressful situation: Sometimes I don't even realize I'm stress eating until half the cookies are gone. Learn to say, "That was a stressful situation. Therefore, I will enact the stressful situation protocol."  

Stress sucks :grumpy:... I am also a stress eater.  This James Clear article is about identifying things that trigger good and bad habits.  

http://jamesclear.com/habit-triggers

Helped me recognize the stress and puts me in the right mindset when I am about to order a stress pizza. 

Good luck on this weeks goals.... I am sure you will do great!

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Current (
May 8 - Jun 4)

Master Quest: Weigh < 200lbs

Start: 242.2lbs | Current = 225.6lbs | Progress16.6 of 42.2lbs

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Stress sucks :grumpy:... I am also a stress eater.  This James Clear article is about identifying things that trigger good and bad habits.  

http://jamesclear.com/habit-triggers

Helped me recognize the stress and puts me in the right mindset when I am about to order a stress pizza. 

Thanks!

Why do we never want to stress eat broccoli? Or apples? What is the connection between feeling stressed and wanting sugar/fat/salt? This is just vague pondering; I'm sure studies have been done if I wanted to look into it.

Calories yesterday: 1460

Budget: didn't spend any money

Cartwheel practice: yes

Hiking: not yet

Art: made a paper mock-up of utility belt to work out the details. Because why do productive grown up things with your life when you can make a paper version of a seamstress-ninja's utility belt? 

• Like 4

Stealthstitcher

Cheers for a great first week!  And way to be, keeping the cookie incident to "one bad decision" and deciding to move forward from there.  That part definitely goes in the "win" column.  

I love that you have assessed week 1 and regrouped and formed a fresh plan of attack for week 2.  Keep it up, you've got this!

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke