Stealthstitcher has Adventures: Now with 34% More Art!!!

Sylvaa, do you ever wake up and go, "Nope, can't awesome today, all out of awesome." or are you always just awesome? Seriously, you are so good at understanding what people are saying and connecting them with things they will find helpful. That's a genius idea; it's not only visual but also tactile. 

:tickled_pink: (why can't I find a blushing face?).  In all honesty, when you say in your post you are a visual person, it's not hard to connect the dots to think, "how can you make losing weight a visual process?". And if it can be found on the internet, I will find it!

In regards to the cartwheel thing, I find it interesting. When I learned to do a cartwheel (seriously like almost 30 years ago - wow!), my gymnastic coach explained the process as, "hand, hand, foot, foot" and I did it. It's how I taught my girls too and I don't have a ridiculous amount of upper body strength. In fact, I don't know a lot of people who actually have fallen on their face due to lack of upper body strength - I think that momentum is a  bigger player in this. Maybe you are putting too much thought into the process and psyching yourself out. Just go wherever you do them, visualize a straight line (or have one) in front of you, Then do it! When you start, your feet are going to land off that line, but with practice, you'll get there. Push up progress is amazing no matter what!

RE: being an adult. I don't have a lot of other advice, because my adult experience has been very different. I was a young and poor mother, so the luxury of buying whatever I wanted whenever I wanted was lost on me. And now not only do I have that same mentality I had when I was making less than I am now, I have student loans and a house payment to keep me from going all crazy with additional income. You could always look into something like dietbet.com, where you bet money to participate in challenges. To be honest, incentives don't really work for me, I just go through ebbs and flows and try not to do any sabotaging when I not in a motivated mindset. What keeps me motivated is the overall outcome. I like doing active things and they are a lot easier and more fun when I'm not lugging around extra weight. 

In regards to stress eating / calories, Starbucks has a really nice Jade Citrus Mint tea that I love. I'm a fan of creating a schedule for getting stressed out. Grab your tea, sit down in a corner, and just breath for a few minutes. Or what about rethinking your calories? Instead of a daily limit, have a weekly limit (so if you go over one day, you can make up for it another day) or if you go over you have to exercise to burn off those calories?

• Like 1

Two thoughts!

1. It sounds like you're mostly thinking of rewards as "earn or don't earn, get or don't get." What about "don't get until..."? Rather than saying "I'll get X if I work out 15 times this month," maybe something like "I'll get X once I've worked out 15 times" would work better. That way you still have an incentive to complete your goal, but since you know you will be getting the reward eventually, you won't be as tempted to just give up and get it anyway before completion. I could be misinterpreting how you're looking at rewards, though!

2. Compare these two statements:

I still want to be able to do a cartwheel, I'm just feeling like meh, it's going to be a million years before I get there, maybe I should just forget it for now.

Did it. And a thing happened! Not strictly related to cartwheels, but it was kinda exciting. I've been doing counter-height push ups for approximately a thousand years now. Yesterday I managed to do all ten in the first set without resting. So for the second set I thought I'd try going to a lower incline. I managed one (only one, but still, one) chair-seat-height push-up. Honestly, while I knew they'd been getting a little easier, I felt like I was never going to get off the counter and closer to the ground.

I know you said the second thing wasn't really related to cartwheels, but I think it is - in terms of mindset. You kept up with pushups even though you knew you'd have to be in it for the long haul. You kept up with them long enough to see progress, and it was exciting, and it can only get more exciting from here as you keep making progress. Keep that in mind when you feel like giving up on cartwheel practice "for now" (and, of course, don't forget that not working on it will only further delay any future accomplishment...).

• Like 2

RE: being an adult. I don't have a lot of other advice, because my adult experience has been very different.

I've settled down a good bit from my initial "oh my gosh, I can do whatever I want!" ... after amassing credit card debt from irresponsible young adulthood ... (A word of wisdom to anyone thinking "I'll just charge this unnecessary thing, I'm totally sure I'll pay it off next month" - DON'T DO IT! IT'S A TRAP!)

In regards to the cartwheel thing, I find it interesting. When I learned to do a cartwheel (seriously like almost 30 years ago - wow!), my gymnastic coach explained the process as, "hand, hand, foot, foot" and I did it. It's how I taught my girls too and I don't have a ridiculous amount of upper body strength. In fact, I don't know a lot of people who actually have fallen on their face due to lack of upper body strength - I think that momentum is a  bigger player in this. Maybe you are putting too much thought into the process and psyching yourself out.

I am definitely doing that. Yay, overthinking stuff! Wait ... Also I always want to do things slowly first, which is not really the best plan with something that requires momentum. I was going to give it a try outside (where I'm not likely to crash into furniture, which is another thing that makes me overcautious), I really was, but it started raining hard so I didn't. As soon as it dries out, I swear!

1. It sounds like you're mostly thinking of rewards as "earn or don't earn, get or don't get." What about "don't get until..."? Rather than saying "I'll get X if I work out 15 times this month," maybe something like "I'll get X once I've worked out 15 times" would work better.

I think that's definitely a good plan! It avoids the "I was supposed to work out four times this week but I only did three so I failed" mentality. I'd also like to get to the point where I can see things that aren't "things" as incentives. Or for that matter, not require incentives because things like eating healthily or exercising are such habits that I don't even have to think about it. 

Yesterday:

Calories once again came in just under 1500: 1496

Exercise: As above, no cartwheel practice. I only did stretches.

• Like 5

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

I'd also like to get to the point where I can see things that aren't "things" as incentives. Or for that matter, not require incentives because things like eating healthily or exercising are such habits that I don't even have to think about it. 

This exactly! I really want to get to this point as well.

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Okay. So. Yes. Things.

Since I'm hiding in my office, now might be a good time to update. 

Thursday, all good. Calories under the limit, check. Exercise, check. The peasants rejoiced. 

Friday ... woke up to find I had a 100% completely flat tire. Yay. Never having changed a tire, and already being dressed and ready for work, I decided walking the 2 1/2 miles to work would be faster than trying to change the tire, get cleaned up, and get to work. I didn't want to make and haul a lunch with me, so I got a sandwich for lunch that put me over my calorie limit for the day, though only by 150 calories. Not a big deal. Decided that walking 5 miles and changing a flat tire was adequate for a workout. 

Today ... knew the minute I woke up that I wasn't going to have one of my better days. Managed to deal with getting the tire repaired ... managed to deal with a bride and her mother I had to meet with about a dress ... and then had to dress up and go to an awards dinner at work. Aaaaaaaand I'm hiding in my office instead. Couldn't get in the room. Could not do it. I've used up all my peopling for the day and had an anxiety attack when I tried to walk through the doorway. It doesn't really matter - the awards ceremony is after the dinner and I can handle that (Present awards onstage before an audience? No problem. Enter a banquet hall full of people? Forget it.). This is not really challenge related, except to say that I was actually pretty hungry so after I stopped anxietying I snuck out to the vending machine and got peanut mnms and fritos. Supper of champions, right there. Technically I still won't go over my calorie limit unless I eat more later. But I probably will because mnms and fritos are not real food in any way, shape, or form. 

Yay, random unmotivated anxiety! 

2015-11-02-1446483204-8917816-Anxiety-th

• Like 3

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

Okay, back for a strong final week!

Calories - Got all my meals prepped yesterday. Set for a good week of meeting calorie goals! This week's options - tuna salad lettuce wraps, green chicken soup (although since I forgot I don't have a functioning blender, it's actually chicken and kale soup - same ingredients, the kale just isn't blended into the broth), and beef stir fry. 

Cartwheel practice - it's supposed to storm later tonight, but if it's still clear when I get home I will finally and for sure attempt an actual cartwheel in the back yard and see where I am in terms of being able to do that. Otherwise, continue on with my regular practice.

Hiking - Currently the forecast is clear skies on Saturday. If so, I will go back to Potato Creek and finish walking the trails. If it's storming on Saturday, I may have to leave this goal unmet until another time. 

Budget goal - well, I'm not going to have anything left over to save at the end of this month, but on the other hand I didn't charge anything this month so ... small win?

Art/character - I kept thinking that I needed to get my NF character sheet done and then I realized - while I love the idea in theory, in reality it felt like just another thing that had to get done and crossed off my to-do list. So I'm not going to worry about it. If I feel like, I'll do more sketching. If not, that's okay too. 

I've got nine meetings currently scheduled this week. Nine. One of them is scheduled for a four hour time block. Three of them are scheduled to go past the end of the workday. And one is at night. Wish me luck ...

• Like 3

Stealthstitcher

Update: I cannot do a cartwheel.

I can do a sort of sideways frog hop followed by sitting. 

Jump%2BThrough%2BThe%2BTire%2B-%2BClose%

I think it's a combination of inadequate strength to get my body vertical, and inadequate chutzpah to trust the momentum and really go for it. Continued training should correct both those problems.

Also, I felt weirdly self-conscious attempting this, despite the fact that I was by myself in the back yard, surrounded by a privacy fence, and my neighbors already think I'm nuts anyway. 

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

Sounds like you have a good baseline for week 4. Good luck with your meetings!

i feel you on feeling self conscious doing silly things outside where neighbor's may or may not be paying attention (though we have chain link fence and nosy neighbors who know I'm weird). Maybe early morning/late night when fewer people are out would be less awkward?

In short - woo go week 4! Do good things!

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Yesterday:

Calories: Soooo ... I totally stayed under 1500 calories yesterday, but it was not a day of healthy eating. Skipped breakfast because I overslept, had one of my nutritional planned options for lunch, and for supper ... I had cookies. Yeah, I literally had just cookies for supper. I was in a brief terrible mood after work - no particular reason, just one of those moods where I felt completely done with being a responsible grown up. So I angrily refused to adult. I must say that while I don't think I can rationally justify cookies for supper, it did improve my mood. Was it the sugar, or would building a blanket fort and coloring have worked just as well? Must remember to try that next time.

Cartwheels: See above. 

Other goals: N/A

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

i feel you on feeling self conscious doing silly things outside where neighbor's may or may not be paying attention (though we have chain link fence and nosy neighbors who know I'm weird). Maybe early morning/late night when fewer people are out would be less awkward?

Right? It's not like I care that much what my neighbors think. If they came over and said, "You are weird," I would be like, "Okay, cool." (Or in a different mood, "Says the man who brings the tv outside so he can watch NASCAR while lying in his inflatable kiddie pool.") I wonder if I'd feel less self-conscious if I knew I could do the thing really well. If I could turn cartwheels with ease, I'd probably care less if someone saw me than when I'm hopping about like an awkward frog. But unfortunately, you can't get to the doing it really well part without the awkward frog part. 

• Like 3

Stealthstitcher

Right? It's not like I care that much what my neighbors think. If they came over and said, "You are weird," I would be like, "Okay, cool." (Or in a different mood, "Says the man who brings the tv outside so he can watch NASCAR while lying in his inflatable kiddie pool.") I wonder if I'd feel less self-conscious if I knew I could do the thing really well. If I could turn cartwheels with ease, I'd probably care less if someone saw me than when I'm hopping about like an awkward frog. But unfortunately, you can't get to the doing it really well part without the awkward frog part. 

Sorry to hear about your cookie dinner day (had one of those nights, but with cheesesteaks) :( I'm stealing your blanket fort / coloring book idea for next time I have a bad day. 

Do we have the same neighbor?! Mine has an above ground pool, but there is definitely outside tv Nascar and inflatable pool floaties next door. 

Goals are kind of on hold at the moment. I have ended up with a nasty cold and all I want to do is sleep and drink orange juice. I will resume when this clears up.

Stealthstitcher

oh no!  Get well soon!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Just catching on up on your last week. Sorry to hear about the cold! Everyone in my neck of the woods has gotten one. I'm at the tail end of mine. Get some rest and take it easy. 

Looks like you're doing well with calories, even if they sometimes come from less-than-ideal sources. I certainly struggle with the same. I am also intrigued by your fort-building and coloring alternatives for stress relief...have to try those! 

Keep it up with the awkward frog hops! One day you will be a butterfly...or something. You know what I mean. 

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Thanks guys ... this is a dark and evil cold. Completely knocked me out since last Wednesday. Did nothing but sleep and drink juice. Still struggling with it, but it seems like it's on the way out. Hopefully I'll be recovered for the next challenge. Now I'm going to try to work and not to put my head down on my desk and go to sleep again ...

Stealthstitcher

It's nice you noticed! I will be back at some point. I seriously over-committed this summer (four overlapping jobs) but I hope to come back to life in August. 

Stealthstitcher