Brovatar Korra Masters Airbending

I recently listened to a great Art of Manliness podcast, in which Chris Duffin described what I think is the best explanation of “core bracing” I’ve heard. I am very interested in learning more about his Kabuki Method. My goal this challenge is – every single time I pick up a weight, I am focusing on my breath, my diaphragm, expanding my obliques, and engaging my lats.

Here is how my idea of “bracing” has evolved over time:

In the beginning… What is bracing?

A few months later… Oh, so you mean suck my belly in?

For years after that… Oh, you mean just take a deep breath and push my belly out?

Last year: Valsalva maneuver!

Now: I need to improve mind-body connection for every single muscle between my shoulders and my butt.

tumblr_ngvv8b6zmn1ron35qo1_500.gif

Continuing my usual workout routine:

1. Olympic weightlifting 3x per week (MWF)

2. Bro-building 2x per week (mix of powerlifts and accessory movements on TR)

3. Strongman event training 1x a week (SATURDAY!)

The only kink will be the very first week I am competing in a weightlifting meet April 10th. After that I’ll be back to my normal routine.

Continuing my usual eating routine:

1. No real restrictions

2. I track everything when I remember to (I average about 2500 calories a day)

3. A challenge or two ago my goal was 100g protein/day, so this time upping it to at least a 110g/day (averaged by week)

tumblr_m561hx9K8J1qewk6no1_r1_500.gif

Bonus points:

1. Doing all of my back pre-hab exercises each week (glute bridges, planks, and that thing where you twist side to side with one leg crossing over)

2. Any day my Fitbit tracks 5 miles walked or more (I currently average about 4mi a day)

3. Actually reading and learning about the Kabuki method

tumblr_inline_n96zolgvBT1r0nh9b.jpg

• Like 3

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

1 hour ago, Brovatar Korra said:

For years after that… Oh, you mean just take a deep breath and push my belly out?

It will take me a while to find out exactly where, but this makes me think of a time I said:  You mean, I try to make myself look even fatter?

Then MM responded with:  What are you trying to do?  Pull heavy weight or look good?

Do you have a belt yet?  I just got one.

EDIT:  I found it!

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

On March 31, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Sam Ashen said:

It will take me a while to find out exactly where, but this makes me think of a time I said:  You mean, I try to make myself look even fatter?

Then MM responded with:  What are you trying to do?  Pull heavy weight or look good?

Do you have a belt yet?  I just got one.

EDIT:  I found it!

Hahaha nice. Yes I have a Harbinger belt. Right now I only use it for deadlifts. I might start using it for back squats soon now that my 1RM is getting to a decent ratio above my BW. 

Monday 3/29

1. drop snatch 34kg 3 sets of 3

2. cleans 47kg 3 sets of 2

3. power jerks 45kg 3 sets of 2

4. front squats 60kg 4 sets of 4

Before my weightlifting class started I decided to work up to a 1RM deadlift playing with my new "Iron Mind" straps. I hit 275#, a new PR with straps!

5ab.gif

Wednesday 3/30

1. drop snatch + snatch, 37kg 1+1, 3 sets

2. clean + front squat + jerk, 48kg 3 sets

3. push press w/pause in dip, 40kg 3 sets of 2

4. front squats 68kg 3 sets of 1

Friday 4/01

1. snatch 33kg 3 sets of 1

Was supposed to be at 90% (39kg), but got stuck at 33kg because it started to feel really wobbly

2. Clean and jerk 43kg 3 sets of 1

3. snatch grip deadlift, 45kg 3 sets of 3

I focused a lot on "expanding my obliques" I set up for each pull and it felt really strong and solid. Granted, this is a very light weight for me to do a pull (99#). The real test will be tomorrow with a max DL attempt.

4. front squats 60kg, 3 sets of 3

Excited for Strongman Saturday! We're doing:

1. Stone carry max distance

2. Yoke/prowler medley

3. 18" deadlift (My goal with straps is to hit 300# tomorrow)

• Like 2

For any of you data nerds, I have been tracking my daily weight and calories for the last 2 months. Data points are averaged on a weekly basis, and added some trend lines for funsies. Left axis and blue line is calories, right axis and red line is weight. I was trying to push my calories as high as they could while remaining weight stable. The spike around week 5 is when I traveled to El Paso and competed. Seeing as how my average weekly weight is only up 3 pounds, I plan to hold steady around 2500-2600 for a while. It was helpful to find out 2700 is my upper limit. I will eventually do some sort of cut / "performance focused weight loss" / "just suck it up for 2 weeks."

Eventually...

large.56ff3fe359813_ScreenShot2016-04-01

• Like 1

Strongman Saturday:

1. 18" Deadlifts, max reps in 60 seconds

I hit a new PR, 315# with straps! I could only do one rep though.

2. While the other people were going I tried some DLs off the floor without straps.

185, 225, 245, and a new PR without straps - 265!

Then I got ambitious and tried to pull 285# from the floor (with straps). I could pick it off the ground but got stuck around my knees.

3. Yoke carry / prowler push

300# yoke 50ft, run back, push 250# prowler 50ft

I finished this run in 41 seconds. I also decided to try just the yoke again, and hit another new PR, 360# for 50ft. I didn't time it, but it was slow and steady. I focused on my core and breathing without loosening up. The run was really solid, and no drops!

By this time everyone was zonked so we didn't do the Atlas stone carry. I'm feeling good so I'm going weightlifting tomorrow too. Going to attack those 90% snatches again.

• Like 4

I love your positive attitude.  "And just for fun, because I could, I lifted more!" AND you are hitting PRs in the process.  Coincidence, I think not! Now I'm excited to get back in the gym aftera week off. Thanks for being awesome!

I continue to look forward to hearing about your Strongman workouts, you and lwow. 

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Sunday Morning Barbell Club:

Based off the advice from my coach, I mostly repeated Friday's workout, determined to hit those 90% snatches. And I did!

1. Snatch (90%) 39kg, 3 singles

2. C&J (80%) 47kg, 3 singles

3. Squat Jumps (yuck!) 55kg, 3x3

Finished the morning by going for a new strict OHP 1RM, and I hit 55kg (121#)! Beat my previous best by 6 pounds! I really had to grind it out though.

tumblr_m5q38jAux11qdyolno2_500.gif

Something interesting I didn't think about. Yesterday I focused a lot on "expanding" my obliques as part of my core bracing for deadlifts and yokes. Today when I woke up my obliques were sore! Like, I might as well have been doing Russian kettle bell twists. I guess this is good, it reinforces that I was actually engaging those muscles. I didn't anticipate the soreness though. Hopefully, like other DOMS, as I do this more regularly the soreness will fade away.

Zero Week Stats:

1. Average calories eaten: 2476

2. Average calories burned (via Fitbit): 2770

3. Weight change: 206.6 -> 206.0 (-0.6 pounds)

(I'm not actively trying to lose weight, but I am aggressively trying to not gain any more weight)

4. Protein average: 113g, yay!

5. Measurements: ? (I'm going to start taping weekly, but I couldn't find my tape measurer this morning!)

6. Average sleep: 7 hours 45 minutes

Starting 1RMs:

1. Back Squat 255#

2. Front Squat 165#

3. Bench Press 165#

4. Deadlift (no straps) 265#

5. Deadlift (with straps) 285#

6. Strict OHP 121#

7. Snatch 95# (43kg)

8. C&J 132# (60kg)

9. Yoke Carry 50ft, 360#

10. Max Stone load 48", 175#

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Today when I woke up my obliques were sore

Just got a belt and I am still dealing with abDOMSinals.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

On April 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Wilder said:

Do you have a cue for this, or are you just sort of trying to push 'em out?

Yeah, mind-body connection is difficult to practice, much less describe to other people, but I will do my best.

I focus a lot on my diaphragm. I think of it as a flat membrane, and when I breathe in I actively try to push that membrane down. Like straight down to my hips/legs. In addition to that, I've also started thinking about expanding that membrane outward, sideways away from my hips. I do that until I physically feel my side (obliques) push outward a little bit.

Duffin-2.jpg

On April 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM, fitjulia said:

I love your positive attitude.  "And just for fun, because I could, I lifted more!" AND you are hitting PRs in the process.  Coincidence, I think not! Now I'm excited to get back in the gym aftera week off. Thanks for being awesome!

I continue to look forward to hearing about your Strongman workouts, you and lwow. 

Haha thanks. Well that week I knew I could get away with it. This week is all about nutrition, good sleep, and pulling back on my workouts to no more than 75% effort.

Lwow is pretty awesome. We are close to the same stats in everything, it is one of my dreams to compete alongside her in a Strongman competition one day. Maybe at nationals, eh Lwow?

With a name like Brovatar, how can I not watch this thread.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Monday Weightlifting:

1. Snatch (80%) 35kg, 4 singles

2. Clean (75%) 45kg, 3 singles

3. Push press + jerk (65%) 45kg, 3 singles

4. Snatch DL (100%) 45kg, 3x3

I was so excited that I didn't have to switch out the weights for half the workout. Also workout felt solid.

Wednesday Weightlifting:

1. Snatch (75%) 3 singles

2. C&J (70%) 3 singles

3. Front squats (75%) 3x3

4. Snatch grip push press (70%) 3x3

I trained today in my singlet! Lifting in it actually felt really smooth, I just need to get used to being seen in it. I think at the competition it won't be as big of a deal since everyone will be wearing one. I'm excited about the competition now, and planning to hit some new PRs!

79410da3cf247aa3a4760b8064f088cd.jpg

• Like 2

Friday Weightlifting Workout:

This was very light, just a few singles at 60% for snatch and C&J. I suppose now is as good a time as any to go through my warm-up routine. I normally don't post this, but this is what I do at the beginning of every weightlifting session:

20 jumping jacks

10 squats

10 pushups

10 bird dogs each side

10 arm rotations, front and back

10 leg swings, front to back and side to side

10 shoulder dislocations with PVC pipe

10 OH squats with PVC

5 OHP with 15kg bar (33#)

5 hip cleans w/ bar

5 front squats w/bar

5 RDLs w/ bar

5 hip snatches w/ bar

5 OH squats w/ bar

...And NOW I'm ready to lift! Usually takes 15-20 minutes.

Tomorrow is the big day! Going to spend the day relaxing with my husband, doing homework, and playing video games. Trying to decided what to eat for dinner to fuel up. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

• Like 1