• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I would love to be able to perform deadhang pull-up to muscle-up to top of the bar planche hold some day.

That sounds awesome, but at my size, I think my wrists would snap in half with a planche.

Holy sh*t I want to do ONE of those!

I can't yet, waiting to get my pull ups completely in line (get to at least 10 in a row) before I start trying these. Maybe I'll learn to kip a bit in the mean time.

I can't yet, waiting to get my pull ups completely in line (get to at least 10 in a row) before I start trying these. Maybe I'll learn to kip a bit in the mean time.

Haha I still gotta get TO the pull ups. Man am I ever motivated to get my workout in tonight!

That sounds awesome, but at my size, I think my wrists would snap in half with a planche.

The heavier you are the harder they are to learn. At my eventual goal weight of about 200-205, working up to doing a planche is a several year project. They definitely can be done by people over 200 though, I'm just not sure how far above. Its soooo much easier for an 80 lb little kid to learn.

Muscle ups are the same as pullups IMO. If you can't do a deadhang, steady and under control, kipping into it isn't the smartest idea. Tucker preaches this at CF Gymnastic certs but again the message gets lost in the appeal of sexy dance moves. Developing a strict (aka regular) muscle up isn't really even that hard, it just takes a different kind of practice. And like pullups, kipping them really doesn't help develop the strict version. The hardest thing about a strict MU is strength through the transition which one never builds if they kip through it 100% of the time.

The hardest thing about a strict MU is strength through the transition which one never builds if they kip through it 100% of the time.

This is my biggest concern. Right now I can do a few dead hangs and a good amount of dips, but I don't think I'd be able to transition. How do I develop that strength? I assume going as high as you can in the pull and as low as you can in the dips helps.

Full ROM on dips and pullups is mandatory and there are progressions for working the transition. Most people start turning them from their knees/toes then heels. Some people get fancy with bands and stuff but that is superfluous at best. If you practice right you can go from a strict transition off the heels to a full hanging MU.