Elinox’s Savvy Scottish Skills

elinox

G4vqrMxr5Y3pJn3k2WH5cOy5KmISH5hrb5wLKDml  

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things!

In about a month, my husband and I are going on one of my bucket-list vacations: Scotland and Wales! We’re spending two glorious weeks exploring the highlands and Edinburgh in Scotland and the castles of northern Wales. I’m so excited!!!

My last challenge was Welsh-focused so this one will be properly Scottish-themed!

Smaller Quests

1.  Walking

Walking in my last challenge was a success, but I want to push myself to do more to be in the absolute best walking shape I can be since walking up and down the hills in Edinburgh and across mountains in Wales will require lots of endurance. My easy/slightly sweaty pace seems to be about 3 miles per hour.

Scoring: x/35 miles in 4 weeks (about 8.5 miles per week)

Reward: +2 STA & +3 DEX

2. Weights

No matter what else I do in my challenges here, I still always come back to lifting the heavy things. I like it, it makes me feel better about myself and it’s got practical, real-world purposes.

Last challenge, I focused on upping the weights. For this challenge, I want to lighten the load and focus primarily on using the proper form. For example, I know I can sling 25lbs barbells in curls, but my form is bad. This needs to change.

I also want to go back to some of the classics like deadlift and ‘real’ squats. I'm guessing on some of these numbers so I may need to re-adjust after my first weightlifting session.

Scoring: x/4 (1 for each weight achieved)

• Barbell Curls: 15lbs → 25lbs

• Squat Bar: 50lbs → 65lbs

• Rows: 30lbs → 40lbs

• Deadlift: 65lbs → 80lbs

Reward: +3 STR & +2 CON

3. Scots-Gaelic

Learning Welsh on Duolingo was fun, but I also want to practice Scots-Gaelic from a disc I have. I want to learn enough to be able to communicate in a simple conversation with the locals, if I can. I intend to practice it every week day during the four weeks of this challenge.

Depending on how long the disc is, I may supplement with Welsh if I run out of Scots-Gaelic.

Scots-Gaelic

Scoring: x/9

Reward: +2 CHA

Welsh

Scoring: x/15

Reward: +3 WIS

ymrKkyVqgqRNQuBXDTAVX_wv_ukNqD_PfAUd4Zqe

• Like 3

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Good challenge!

I might be disappointing you here, but you'll probably have a better chance of locals in Scotland understanding you in English than Gaelic, unless you're going to Lewis. 

Give me a shout if you fancy meeting up whilst you're in Edinburgh. I'd be happy to take you to my happy shiny lifting place!

I'll be following again.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I was attracted to your thread by the Scottishness (I am Scottish but live in Scotland).

As SpecialSundae said, not many people speak Gaelic. However, I have tried in the past to learn it and would love to spend more time learning it. So if you want someone to practice let me know!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Scots-Gaelic: 1/20

Walking: 3.5/35

The Scots-Gaelic disc I have (by Talk Now!) is not that good and only has about 9 lessons on it for me to practice with. The sound/pronunciation is pretty bad and after I get through it, I'm going back to Welsh on Duolingo.

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Scots-Gaelic: 3/9

I'm changing up the scoring for the languages. I'm going to go through the nine lessons on the Scots-Gaelic disc I have, then go back to Welsh on Duolingo for 15 days.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

21 minutes ago, elinox said:

Scots-Gaelic: 3/9

I'm changing up the scoring for the languages. I'm going to go through the nine lessons on the Scots-Gaelic disc I have, then go back to Welsh on Duolingo for 15 days.

Good plan! :)

So when are you coming to eat wings and lift shit? ;) 

7 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

So when are you coming to eat wings and lift shit? ;) 

We're in the UK May 14-30.

Edinburgh: May 14-19

Loch Ness: May 20-22

Northern England: May 23-25

Wales: May 26-30

Current Challenge: 

Awesome theme to prepare for your bucket-list vacation! 

Oh, man, I love me some pipes...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Yesterday I walked to the store and then refreshed some Welsh.

Walking: 8/35

Welsh 1/15

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

In about a month, my husband and I are going on one of my bucket-list vacations: Scotland and Wales! We’re spending two glorious weeks exploring the highlands and Edinburgh in Scotland and the castles of northern Wales. I’m so excited!!!

You're going to have a blast.  I was in through Scotland back in September and it was absolutely wonderful.  Isle of Skye is pretty amazing if you get out that way, and Edinburgh is definitely my favorite city I've visited.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

And you didn't even come lift with us. :( 

Honestly, I still regret not carving out time to meet up with you!  We'll definitely be back again, but there might be something of a waiting period before we make it back.  :P

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Elinox, are you going to come lift with us?

I'm not sure yet, it will depend on what we do each day and how tired I am afterwards. I'd like to meet for maybe dinner some night though?

Also, Rurik, yes, we're going to spend a day on Skye too!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: