WhitebeltBrowncoat jumps back into things

So I found that edge of the map and dropped off it for a month. The no-break format wasn't working for me, so I decided that a challenge off wasn't a bad thing as long as it didn't extend into multiple challenges off. I like the new structure and am looking forward to them. This challenge, I want to focus on the bare minimum. Build a base of things that are easy to do and start rebuilding good habits. To that end...

1) - Exercise first thing in the morning

Level 1 - 10 squats/10 pushups

I liked doing this but got out of the habit.

Level 2 - 10 squats/10 pushups/10 dips/5 pullups

Add in more exercises, but still keep it to something that can be done quickly

Level 3 - Warmup from /bodyweightfitness recommended routine

2) - Wipe down the kitchen counters every night

It's a small thing, but keeping the kitchen clean really helps things not feel overwhelming. Plus it makes the wife happy.

Level 1 - Wipe down counters

Level 2 - Leave no dishes in the sink overnight

Level 3 - Wipe down bathroom

3) Eat Healthier

Level 1 - Add one vegetable to dinner

Level 2 - One piece of candy at work

Level 3 - No bingeing on toast or cereal at night

4) Kajukenbo

So I know that I'm not going to be able to restart classes any time soon, so let's get creative.

Level 1 - Practice basic strikes, blocks, and movement (slide, shuffle, switch)

Level 2 - Find and learn from a good video of basic kata. The dojo has a set of videos on their website that will be helpful. The downside is that they don't explain the meaning behind the kata. Iain Abernethy does a good job of this.

Level 3 - I've seen some ideas floating around online recently about taking a small foamy ball, putting it on an elastic cord, and either hanging it from the ceiling or tying it to a hat and then punching/moving around it as it swings. Looked like fun and probably easy enough to do.

Level 4 - About a month ago I saw somebody dressed in kendo armor practicing outside. I couldn't stop and talk since I had to pick up the junior browncoat, but I've been driving past the area where I saw them hoping that they will be outside again. Talk with them and find out more about where they practice. The only kendo schools I've seen online are >1 hour away.

Long term goals - Just reiterating and putting it down in words again

Lose ~50-60 lbs to weigh 175 lbs

Get a proper kettlebell set (16, 20, 24 kg)

• Like 1

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

The levels part I'm not sure on. Thought I might try something new with this one and leave room for the things to grow. I think I have to refine the food and kaju related ones. Those were a little more difficult to shoehorn into the pattern while on break at work.They do seem more like bullet points rather than building on a foundation. Hmmm. Things to ponder while I wait for the end of the day...

• Like 1

WhiteBeltBrowncoat | Four-week Challenge 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Current

Goal: Weigh 238 lbs by 10/14/2018 SW(201809112):245.9 / CW(201800917):244.2

Think Progress, Not Perfection

Nice to see you back! A solid foundation is always the best place to start. I look forward to seeing how you do :)

Cephalopod Dreams

Halfling Monk

Challenges: Level 4 | Academy: Level 10

Str 4 | Dex 4 | Sta 4 | Con 7 | Wis 5 | Cha 2

My Character

I'm aiming for my black belt in Shotokan Karate, training to defeat the monster that is chronic pain.

Battle Log | Current Challenge | Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6