• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

3 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

That's absolutely brilliant; the perfect method for applying my concept for visualizing my Level 50 and applying it through daily progress toward that goal.

Now I need to make a list!  :P

That is what I was hoping for with mine. Last challenge, it seemed to really help. My problem before had been I make all these wonderful Level 50 goals, and then forget all about them:redface-new:. So, I chose a few and made them into smaller steps for my adventures. I also found it helped me to prioritize. Nowhere in my level 50, did I say I wanted to watch as much TV as possible, or read all the Facebook links;), so when I have spare time is there something else I might chose that would help me reach my level 50?

• Like 4

df07048c2edce2aff4d817ffc2ce0621.jpg

Day 1: Bears need food, a bunch of it after hibernation. I just finished a deficit month,  and I am so glad to be back in maintenance mode. I forget how much more food can be eaten with 500 calories.  Just finished a huge meal of salmon, potatoes, and kale  sauteed in coconut milk. My allergies have been driving me crazy woke up about 5 am this morning with my nose all stuffed up. Ugh. Did my workout and stuff anyway, cause, well it's allergies and just my nose, so I figure I might as well. I actually did  really well on the kettlebell swings, which surprised me. Usually they really suffer when my nose is plugged up. Went on two walks today. One in the afternoon, and one in the evening with hubby. My Fitbit says 13,682 steps. In the evening walk, it started to rain pretty hard a couple of blocks from our home on the return trip, so we were pretty wet when we got home.

My zero week report: I did a bunch of walks, and one shovelglove session, but no other workouts. I did manage to lose the pound I wanted to. That starts me at 118, which gives me a little leeway if I gain some weight on my maintenance eating.

Goals : food and water tracked. I should be able to hit my water goal before lights out time

workout completed

Warm up

Jump rope 80 jumps (2 sets of 40ish)

Swings 100 35# 1 hand 5:40 HR 120

TGU 30/35/30/35/30 3min

Pull 1/1/1/1/1/1/1

Stretch shoulder / hip

• Like 9

12 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

96f8aa187b9915bdaf4a4385e9d112c4.jpg

Subbing for awesome rucking and possible geocaching!  I've never heard of these Turkish getups before

Do you have a challenge this month? I couldn't find you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

That is what I was hoping for with mine. Last challenge, it seemed to really help. My problem before had been I make all these wonderful Level 50 goals, and then forget all about them:redface-new:. So, I chose a few and made them into smaller steps for my adventures. I also found it helped me to prioritize. Nowhere in my level 50, did I say I wanted to watch as much TV as possible, or read all the Facebook links;), so when I have spare time is there something else I might chose that would help me reach my level 50?

Well, you've really fired me up and got me thinking.  I'm already well on my way with certain aspects of leveling my character up to 50, but there are plenty of efforts I can make on a weekly and daily basis that'll help push me closer and closer!

Now I'm really excited to follow along and borrow further inspiration from your adventure list.  :)

• Like 3

Weird scale thing: this morning I weighed myself and it said 116.8, which was a pound lighter than Monday, and I am eating at maintenance.Interested to see tomorrow's reading. 

A few challenges ago I was using the Maffetone formula for my swings. Basically, his theory is that your heart rate needs to stay lower than the current used formula for aerobic activity, or your body will go into anerobic, and you won't develop as strong an aerobic base. So for my age, and allergies my max heart rate was 120. I tried it for the 6 week challenge, but gave it up because it felt like my total time needed for the swings was never lowering. This month, I thought I might try again. Yesterday, I just did a straight timed 100 swings session, and my time was 5:40 with my exertion  rate at about a 6, a little tough, but not that hard. Today I did it using the HR on my Fitbit, and it took 8:42.  

Goals: tracked food;  tracked and drank water, did my workout, also went for a 2.5 mile ruck, and then a 2.5 mile walk with Mr Incredible in the evening.

And I listened to this podcast at The Art of Manliness. It is about why it is important to read the great (classic) books and how. Very good podcast

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/04/04/podcast-189-the-classical-education-you-never-had/

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, AthenaMM said:

Looks like a great day and workout! You're beating my steps again!

Thanks, today was14,000 steps! Really helps now that it is light in the evenings and my husband wants to walk with me.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks, today was14,000 steps! Really helps now that it is light in the evenings and my husband wants to walk with me.

Beating me again!! I may have to up my game!

Great job on your swings! I think I'll listen to that podcast. I'm still reading nonfiction or classic fiction at lunch most days (from the first challenge of the year), but it's taking me a really LONG time to get through the classic fiction books.

18 minutes ago, AthenaMM said:

Beating me again!! I may have to up my game!

Great job on your swings! I think I'll listen to that podcast. I'm still reading nonfiction or classic fiction at lunch most days (from the first challenge of the year), but it's taking me a really LONG time to get through the classic fiction books.

Then you should listen to it. You will find it encouraging.One of her points is not to worry about how long it takes, or that you are doing it slowly. And another point is that it is fine to pick an area of interest  and focus on reading that type of classic book.

• Like 3

Then you should listen to it. You will find it encouraging.One of her points is not to worry about how long it takes, or that you are doing it slowly. And another point is that it is fine to pick an area of interest  and focus on reading that type of classic book.

I bookmarked it and I plan on listening to it tonight. I'll let you know what I think of it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Goals: tracked food;  tracked and drank water, did my workout, also went for a 2.5 mile ruck, and then a 2.5 mile walk with Mr Incredible in the evening.

That sounds like a great day! Keep it up, EG!

Wolf

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Weird scale thing: this morning I weighed myself and it said 116.8, which was a pound lighter than Monday, and I am eating at maintenance.Interested to see tomorrow's reading. 

A few challenges ago I was using the Maffetone formula for my swings. Basically, his theory is that your heart rate needs to stay lower than the current used formula for aerobic activity, or your body will go into anerobic, and you won't develop as strong an aerobic base. So for my age, and allergies my max heart rate was 120. I tried it for the 6 week challenge, but gave it up because it felt like my total time needed for the swings was never lowering. This month, I thought I might try again. Yesterday, I just did a straight timed 100 swings session, and my time was 5:40 with my exertion  rate at about a 6, a little tough, but not that hard. Today I did it using the HR on my Fitbit, and it took 8:42.  

And I listened to this podcast at The Art of Manliness. It is about why it is important to read the great (classic) books and how. Very good podcast

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/04/04/podcast-189-the-classical-education-you-never-had/

I may misunderstand Maffetone, but isn't it about building aerobic base and after the six weeks you can go anaerobic and your times will drop?

6 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

I may misunderstand Maffetone, but isn't it about building aerobic base and after the six weeks you can go anaerobic and your times will drop?

Hmm. I didn't get that, But  I just read a little about it.  I Just read an article or two on his page, and read the Strongfirst forum about people using the formula for swings. TML is reading Primal Endurance, which goes into more detail. Doing it for 6 weeks seems like a more reasonable approach, than trying to always stay in the aerobic zone.  How do you do the cool new thing where you tag someone? I would like to tag @The Most Loathed  on this, and see what he thinks.

• Like 1

To tag I just use an @ symbol but not sure how to do that with people like Sloth who have spaces in their name.

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

The Primal Endurance take on the on Maffetone is that you go 6 weeks (or more, up to indefinitely) to really build up your aerobic engine and also to allow you to train without stressing the body in a negative way. Then you can do heavy training (meaning higher HR and more mileage) for a couple weeks where you go anaerobic and you should be much faster. However, this is very damaging to the body (again, according to the book). So you take an equal amount of time off then start over with the base building cycle.

The purpose is that training at the lower intensity will give more healthy effects but also that when you do go anaerobic, you're still getting 80-90% of your energy aerobically so all the aerobic training pushes that up as well. Sisson also a big fan of Paleo and Ketogenic dieting and feels like this kind of training complements those diets and vice versa. Using the very low intensity in Maffetone you are not kicking your body into a gear where it needs to switch to burning Glycogen but can keep burning fat virtually indefinitely.

He also spends a lot of time talking about being "bonkproof". If you've ever trained really hard then hit a wall where only some raw carbs and/or a long nap could pull you out, this is bonking in his vernacular. It represents the burnout of all of your glycogen stores but still training at an intensity where glycogen is needed to fuel the activity.

*i know I mentioned it above but, again, this is my interpretation of what Mark Sisson says in the book Primal Endurance when talking about the work of Phil Maffetone. So it's not exactly straight from the horses mouth. Also, I don't feel like I have been presented with what I'd call evidence that it works, just a convincing enough narrative that I'm trying it out.

• Like 1

Bonkproof is bs. That's like saying you won't bonk if you only walk. It may be true, but who cares. If you want to go fast, you have to burn the glycogen and risk the bonk.

You can train your body to run solely on fats, but there's a hard limit of how much power you can put out that way. IIRC 190 watts. Of course, that's probably good enough for a typical weekend warrior.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skinNbones said:

To tag I just use an @ symbol but not sure how to do that with people like Sloth who have spaces in their name.

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

Thanks. TML read it , so I didn't need to tag him, but I can't figure out how to make it tag still. Did the @ symbol, and tried the name with spaces and without. My computer just gives me a spinning circle and can't figure it out

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

The Primal Endurance take on the on Maffetone is that you go 6 weeks (or more, up to indefinitely) to really build up your aerobic engine and also to allow you to train without stressing the body in a negative way. Then you can do heavy training (meaning higher HR and more mileage) for a couple weeks where you go anaerobic and you should be much faster. However, this is very damaging to the body (again, according to the book). So you take an equal amount of time off then start over with the base building cycle.

The purpose is that training at the lower intensity will give more healthy effects but also that when you do go anaerobic, you're still getting 80-90% of your energy aerobically so all the aerobic training pushes that up as well. Sisson also a big fan of Paleo and Ketogenic dieting and feels like this kind of training complements those diets and vice versa. Using the very low intensity in Maffetone you are not kicking your body into a gear where it needs to switch to burning Glycogen but can keep burning fat virtually indefinitely.

He also spends a lot of time talking about being "bonkproof". If you've ever trained really hard then hit a wall where only some raw carbs and/or a long nap could pull you out, this is bonking in his vernacular. It represents the burnout of all of your glycogen stores but still training at an intensity where glycogen is needed to fuel the activity.

*i know I mentioned it above but, again, this is my interpretation of what Mark Sisson says in the book Primal Endurance when talking about the work of Phil Maffetone. So it's not exactly straight from the horses mouth. Also, I don't feel like I have been presented with what I'd call evidence that it works, just a convincing enough narrative that I'm trying it out.

The part about lower intensity and not switching to glycogen appealed to me. I feel like I can only push it so hard and then I run out of steam, and that capacity isn't improving. But, in actuality it probably is. And I am not in any situations (competitions) where I've pushed it so hard I've bonked. The few times I've had that happen was just not due to eating enough. Maffetone trained athletes, and he swears by the method. I'm toying with the idea of taking up running, and think the Maffetone formula would be a good start. I am not really sure if it cross applies to kb swings though. I lot of people on the strong first forum love the Maffetone formula, but if the purpose is to keep your body from switching to glycogen, seems like using Pavel's paln of just waiting between swings until your breath is recovered and you can do a strong, good form swing is sufficient.

2 hours ago, Sloth the Slow and Steady said:

Bonkproof is bs. That's like saying you won't bonk if you only walk. It may be true, but who cares. If you want to go fast, you have to burn the glycogen and risk the bonk.

You can train your body to run solely on fats, but there's a hard limit of how much power you can put out that way. IIRC 190 watts. Of course, that's probably good enough for a typical weekend warrior.

Good point. If you are in a race or something, you are going to push it as hard as you can, and then you might hit a wall. It might not be healthy to do that every day, but seems like occasionally it should be fine

• Like 2

Rest day today. Walked on our nature trail, and did a bit of stretching and working in the garden. Little behind on water. Which is bad, because if I try and catch up now, I will have to pee in the middle of the night. I've had 6 glasses, so I will have one more this evening, so only 1 short of goal.

This challenge I am upping my carbs, but still in my calorie limit. My carbs are about 40-45%. Seeing how that affects my strength.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The spinning circle is the forum software trying to find the username. Sometimes you have to delete everything and retype it, sometimes you have to give it a minute.

@TanktimusTheEncourager Thanks, seemed like I give it a bit, and it didn't work,

Doesn't seem to be working with your name. Maybe if I leave out the spaces?Hmm that didn't work either. Ah well, thanks for  your help anyway

• Like 2

All this Maffetone stuff sounds pretty interesting. I may have to check it out. As for the tagging thing, I tried it shortly after the forum change and I couldn't get it to work on someone with a one word name. I never got a spinning circle either. I just thought there must be something else you were supposed to do.

2 hours ago, AthenaMM said:

All this Maffetone stuff sounds pretty interesting. I may have to check it out. As for the tagging thing, I tried it shortly after the forum change and I couldn't get it to work on someone with a one word name. I never got a spinning circle either. I just thought there must be something else you were supposed to do.

Good to know I am not the only one who couldn'tt get it to work. 

• Like 1