• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LOL, boardgames for the win! I'm using a couple of ours now to get oldest to improve his reading. He was getting along nicely reading short separate words, but as soon as he saw those same words in a sentence, he got stuck and felt overwhelmed. Then one night while we were playing, I got up to check on the food, and he was impatient so tried to read his own card telling him what to do... and he managed it! So I'm making it a (bi- or even tri-) weekly thing and he is more than keen. And of course his math improved as well because he has to work out how much to pay, counting up money, dividing to tell me how much change to give him!

Yeap.  This is why I got into studying games for education.  With us, it was D&D .....

• Like 2

LOL, boardgames for the win! I'm using a couple of ours now to get oldest to improve his reading. He was getting along nicely reading short separate words, but as soon as he saw those same words in a sentence, he got stuck and felt overwhelmed. Then one night while we were playing, I got up to check on the food, and he was impatient so tried to read his own card telling him what to do... and he managed it! So I'm making it a (bi- or even tri-) weekly thing and he is more than keen. And of course his math improved as well because he has to work out how much to pay, counting up money, dividing to tell me how much change to give him!

My son has always loved playing games, so games were a big part of his schooling. 

• Like 1

201601_0729_eacce_sm.jpg

Week 1:

1)  Track Food : done

Track water( or herbal/decaf tea ) during week 8 glasses a day ; I think one day I was a glass short, but other than that good

2)    Workout trying for goal of 5 A(each side) 35# TGU- making progress, up to 3 reps

100 35# KB swings in 5 minutes; pretty good, not as much as I'd like due to allergies, I still did the workout, just not the pace I'd hoped for

3) Try something new : nada, struggling with allergies, so no real enthusiasm for new stuff, 

Adventure:

went geocaching and found a new spot with enough caches for several trips

read devotional book, and classic book, which also happens to be good Ranger reading: The Saga of The Volsungs

did some gardening, not as much as I'd like due to allergies

didn't work on scrapbook at all

went on several evening hikes with hubby and one long walk on the river trail

did some rucking

did rucking pushups and planks

• Like 9

Today

Food and water tracked:yes

workout;yes

My pull-ups are improving. I can almost do 2. I don't go all the way to dead hang, but from about halfway down I can pull myself up to almost chin height with the bar.

workout:

Mobility work

Bridges/halo/ squat jump

Practice swings

Swings 100 35# in 5:25; A bit difficult, breathing is still hard due to allergies

TGu 30/35/35/30/30 3 minute rest- strong

Pull up 1/2/1/2/1 second rep from about half way down, chin doesn’t quite clear bar, but really close, on 1 rep after pull did a dead hang of 10 seconds

Push up (with 5# ruck) 4/4/4/3/2 just decided to play a bit with ruck push ups

• Like 7

read devotional book, and classic book, which also happens to be good Ranger reading: The Saga of The Volsungs

Thank you for the reading suggestion. Will add The Saga of the Volsungs to my reading list.

• Like 1

Nice job so far with this challenge!  But I'm never surprised to see you take care of business in your usual, consistent manner. :)  

Thanks. Did you know that you can choose how many epidemics you have in the deck? We've played 2 games with these friends with the epidemics at the easy level (4? I think) But now the kids (teens) think we need to up the difficulty, so next game we are playing with more epidemics, so we'll see how that goes.

Mind blown.  I remember Pandemic being pretty challenging, so it seemed like a game I couldn't handle with the kids.  But if there are good ways to make the game easier, I think both of them would love a cooperative game.  My son is a board game fiend and whines every night that we don't play something.  

You are doing excellent with your TGU's! I'm also so impressed with your pull-ups! With my elbow limiting my pulling exercises right now, being able to do even one pull-up seems so far away. I think I'm going to add my TGU's back to my regular routine. I can't do swings, but that isn't a reason for me to lose the progress I made with my TGU's. You make me miss my kettlebells!

Erggh, I will be really happy when we get the quote button fixed

@Hilary_W  Saga of The Volsungs is  a Norse Epic Poem about SIgurd, there are probably several translations, ,mine is by Jesse L. Byock, and it is very readable

@elizevdmerwe; thanks, part of the reason I like the rucking pushups is for the sheer bada$$ness of them

@Tanktimus the Encourager-look I can tag you now:D another bear meme, thanks I beary much appreciate it:)

@NymeriaI bet the kids would enjoy Pandemic if you simplified it, it is also really easyto play on teams

• Like 6

You are doing excellent with your TGU's! I'm also so impressed with your pull-ups! With my elbow limiting my pulling exercises right now, being able to do even one pull-up seems so far away. I think I'm going to add my TGU's back to my regular routine. I can't do swings, but that isn't a reason for me to lose the progress I made with my TGU's. You make me miss my kettlebells!

Thanks! You'll get the pull-up. It has been one of the slowest things to progress with me, and the one where I most often have to back off due to tendon issues. I may have posted this before, but it is a good article on prep work for pulls http://www.strongfirst.com/your-first-pull-up-how-to-for-senior-aged-women/  doing stuff like deadhangs and hollow holds will help when you are ready to work on the pull ups again.

And, yes, do the TGU's. I love TGU's they are so beneficial to my shoulder, and great at building forearm strength.

• Like 3

Last challenge I talked about getting some blue light blocking sunglasses like these: http://www.amazon.com/Shield-Sunglasses-Blocker-Driving-Spring/dp/B00JAILG1K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00. The idea is to where them in the evening, and they help filter out blue light, which can block melatonin production. I talked to my husband about getting us some for us to try  out, and I thought he was against the idea. After thinking about it some more, I decided even if he didn't want them, I wanted a pair. So I told him I was buying it, and had he changed his mind. He said "I thought you already got them and that was the plan" Me  "No you said you didn't want them" Him " No, I said I wanted them, I thought you said you changed your mind and didn't want them"  So much for communication;) Not sure what happened there, but I bought them and now we have cool orange sunglasses to wear at night. 

Workout was a repeat of yesterday, only I did my swings at a more relaxed pace. And ab wheel instead of pull ups.But other than that, the same;)

Went on a ruck today 2.5 miles. I also found a new trail. I didn't walk far on it, since I was rucking, I didn't want to have too long a walk home. But, it will be good to try out the trail, and see what it is like.

And Mr. Incredible says we now need to sing this songwatch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

• Like 7

I hope the glasses help. You are really doing a lot of walking and rucking. Congrats! I hope the new trail is cool. It always sounds like you have such fun and pretty places to walk, I'm jealous!

You must share your new tagging knowledge! I haven't tried again, but I assume I still can't tag anyone.

I hope the glasses help. You are really doing a lot of walking and rucking. Congrats! I hope the new trail is cool. It always sounds like you have such fun and pretty places to walk, I'm jealous!

You must share your new tagging knowledge! I haven't tried again, but I assume I still can't tag anyone.

Try the tagging thing again. Mine started working about the time the quote button stopped working. I didn't do anything different, it just works for me now.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to hearing about the glasses. My issue is that I need to wear real glasses, so I'm not sure how well that would work!

New trails make me happy :) have fun exploring!

I'm looking forward to hearing about the glasses. My issue is that I need to wear real glasses, so I'm not sure how well that would work!

New trails make me happy :) have fun exploring!

The ones I bought fit over my glasses. They cost $15. You can get them even cheaper, if you don't need the wear over, but I thought 15 was reasonable

• Like 3

And, yes, do the TGU's. I love TGU's they are so beneficial to my shoulder, and great at building forearm strength.

I love the old Turkish Get-up myself, and I think it's time I casually introduced them into shoulder warmups before our workouts.  Don't think my coach will mind one bit either.  ;)

• Like 4

I love the old Turkish Get-up myself, and I think it's time I casually introduced them into shoulder warmups before our workouts.  Don't think my coach will mind one bit either.  ;)

This looks like a nice easy warm up:D

Hi! You are a very cool bear and I'm not sure why I wasn't following you sooner. 

oh-hai-polar-bear-funny-picture-meme-300

• Like 3

Sunglasses at Night. Now it's going to be  stuck in my head for the entire foreseeable future...not necessarily a bad thing. It's so catchy!

Looks like you're bearing with it well ;) Nice work on the pull-ups! I hope your allergies cease to trouble you, those are always a hassle. 

• Like 1

Sunglasses at Night. Now it's going to be  stuck in my head for the entire foreseeable future...not necessarily a bad thing. It's so catchy!

Looks like you're bearing with it well ;) Nice work on the pull-ups! I hope your allergies cease to trouble you, those are always a hassle. 

:DMy husband was singing it and got it stuck in my head, so I thought I'd share. Allergies are worse today:(maybe tomorrow will be better

Feel like the allergies are winning today. It was a rest day, and I took that very literally. Skipped my walk,seeing if hiding inside helped my allergies. Did some GMB unbreakable mobility work, and then took a nap.

My weight is going on a downward trend. And since my goal is to maintain weight and build strength, that means I need to eat more. Some times after switching from a deficit, I find myself still undereating a bit.  I need to keep reminding myself that even if I gaina bit, that is fine. When counting calories, I tend to overestimate, so I need to up that a bit. Course part of the deal is with my allergies, I am not as hungry. No major changes needed, just a bit of tweaking.

• Like 3

A story about Sunglasses at Night: it was my sister's favourite song when she was younger, and she listened to it endlessly on her bright yellow walkman, usually while wearing flower-shaped sunglasses and nothing else, 'cuz that's how we rolled when we were kids.

Oh, also, great job so far! I hope you allergies settle down soon, but on my side of the continent, at least, it's shaping up to be a doozy of an allergy season. I've been wanting to scratch my eyes out off and on for days, and spring hasn't even fully sprung yet....

• Like 1

A story about Sunglasses at Night: it was my sister's favourite song when she was younger, and she listened to it endlessly on her bright yellow walkman, usually while wearing flower-shaped sunglasses and nothing else, 'cuz that's how we rolled when we were kids.

Oh, also, great job so far! I hope you allergies settle down soon, but on my side of the continent, at least, it's shaping up to be a doozy of an allergy season. I've been wanting to scratch my eyes out off and on for days, and spring hasn't even fully sprung yet....

Fun story.   My eyes seem to be a bit better today, but the nose is driving me crazy

• Like 1