• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jarric

Jarric's search for Cain

Hey! You are doing great! Incentives help me a lot, just like having specific goals, but sometimes those goals aren't enough of a reward themselves. You've set yourself up properly for success, so a day off here and there is sometimes needed. My entire week has been pretty much like your day, but, "The sun will come out tomorrow!" especially when, like you, you don't like feeling this way and aren't eager to repeat the day :) 

• Like 1

Missed the gym today.

Stayed at work late for no reason; didn't really get anything done just couldn't bring myself to get ready and leave. Actually got changed for the gym, then called the Mrs (looking for an excuse not to go) and she asked me to come straight home as she'd started cooking.

Properly disappointed in myself.;

Every hero tastes defeat once in a while.  Just make sure to come back at the challenge even stronger today!!!

• Like 1

I find it hard to get in to the gym after work, when your brain is thoroughly fried. I do the same thing on occasion. I fixed it  by switching my workouts to first thing in the morning or lunch. Lunch time means I have to get to work earlier but I love the break from work. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the support guys. Tried to quote your replies and respond directly but I'm having a fight with my laptop at the moment.

Anyway, feeling better about it now, and went to the gym today so at least I still manage twice this week :). Also got my first of my two hikes in yesterday, which felt good.

• Like 3

Thanks for the support guys. Tried to quote your replies and respond directly but I'm having a fight with my laptop at the moment.

Anyway, feeling better about it now, and went to the gym today so at least I still manage twice this week :). Also got my first of my two hikes in yesterday, which felt good.

Yea, the boards are being derpy again, but good job on getting out and moving!!!

Week two is about to start!  Let's go!

Yes, let's do this!

Yea, the boards are being derpy again, but good job on getting out and moving!!!

Thank you :) 

So last week wasn't too bad in the end. Managed to get in two gym sessions still, didn't have any badminton planned so I couldn't miss any, plus one of my hikes for the month is sorted. Overall I've done reasonably well on my goals - just that Friday evening/Saturday morning mental slump really got to me.

I also twanged my shoulder on the last day of week zero, so I've been having to work round that and by the looks of it will have to for a couple more weeks.

Also completed my goal for the ranger mini, and I'm getting on ok with the Darebee PvP.

Challenge goals so far:

Swim: 3/3 for week 1

Hiking: 1/2 for month

French: 424/350 XP for week 1

Teeth: 7/7 for week 1

Keep track: Updated the battle log every day.

No compromises: 1 gym session missed in week 1

• Like 3

Got my third swim for the week in today, two weeks running now! That's already considerably better than last month's attempt, as as I know I can't go tomorrow I'm happy with that.

Teeth are on track. I'm actually surprised at how easy it is with just the motivation of being accountable on here.

Apart from the wobble last week it's going really well so far.

• Like 2

I find it hard to get in to the gym after work, when your brain is thoroughly fried. I do the same thing on occasion. I fixed it  by switching my workouts to first thing in the morning or lunch. Lunch time means I have to get to work earlier but I love the break from work. 

Late to the reply party, but I agree - getting the workout done during lunch or first thing in the morning is the way to go. There is only one effective workaround that I have found for initiating the workout sequence even after a full day of work:

il_340x270.921076027_pf60.jpg

Two weeks running - you're half way done! Keep at it!!

• Like 2

Late to the reply party, but I agree - getting the workout done during lunch or first thing in the morning is the way to go. There is only one effective workaround that I have found for initiating the workout sequence even after a full day of work:

il_340x270.921076027_pf60.jpg

Two weeks running - you're half way done! Keep at it!!

Liquid strength! Yes, that sounds like a plan. May need to try this tonight as I've had less that 4 hours sleep and I drank a not inconsiderable amount of beer yesterday!

Hooray! hang on to that momentum :)

I'll certainly try to!

Liquid strength! Yes, that sounds like a plan. May need to try this tonight as I've had less that 4 hours sleep and I drank a not inconsiderable amount of beer yesterday!

D: That sounds terrible. I hope you survived the day!

• Like 1

D: That sounds terrible. I hope you survived the day!

Still alive! Actually got to the gym as well yesterday somehow.

Looking forward to a week with less drink involved though. A combination of a social and corporate drinking is really starting to take its toll this week.

Still alive! Actually got to the gym as well yesterday somehow.

Looking forward to a week with less drink involved though. A combination of a social and corporate drinking is really starting to take its toll this week.

Ouch.  That can add up to a lot of calories and carbs that you didn't want.  Here's to a new week!!

Ouch.  That can add up to a lot of calories and carbs that you didn't want.  Here's to a new week!!

Certainly can do! Not to mention the lack of proper sleep (not that I'm necessarily getting to bed later, but drunk sleep is not the same).

I've just run through my battle log and done a quick count up. Very roughly the alcoholic equivalent of 33 pints of beer consumed this past week. That very very roughly what, 7.5k calories? Nasty... How did I used to do this every single week?

• Like 2

Good day today; saw a trainer and put together a new gym program. Going to be running it alternately with my existing program for the time being. Very briefly the new program is squats (so I can see what everyone here's raving about!), incline bench, lat pull down, combo dumbell thing, ab/core thing.

Quick early round-up of week 2:

Challenge goals so far:

Swim: 3/3 for week 2, 2 weeks fully complete.

Hiking: 1/2 for month (no change from last week)

French: 440/350 XP for week 2 (smashed it with 154 today), 2 weeks fully complete

Teeth: 6/7 for week 2. Assuming I brush my teeth before bed tonight that will change to 7/7, and 2 weeks fully complete.

Keep track: Still completing the battle log daily. Very nearly missed it last night, but got in at the last moment.

No compromises: All clear for week 2. 1 week fully complete as first week failed.

Going to lay out a plan for next week, to hopefully keep my focus:

• At work Monday and Tuesday - finish writing/practicing speech for conference on Wednesday. Had very short notice on this and need to get it nailed.
  • Monday swim, work, snooker match
  • Tuesday swim, work, drive to Buckingham for conference
  • Wednesday conference, get through speech without cocking up, drive home. Can be a gym day if I feel like it after the drive, but not set in stone. May also need to get groceries.
  • Thursday swim, work, possibly badminton if I've booked it?
  • Friday swim, work, gym, probably out for a beer with Dad
  • Saturday hike, domestic rangering, run karaoke night
  • Sunday gym, domestic rangerng, work at club
  • All week keep tooth brushing.
  • Duolingo aim for 50XP each day, but accept that this may be lower early week and higher late week to meet the goal. Speech practice takes precedence Mon & Tues
  • Like 3

Trying to come up with some ideas for domestic rangering at the weekend. I don't intend to do everything on here, but I think a list will help motivate me to at least do something around the house while the Mrs is at work/at least give me options. If you think of anything to add let me know.

• Make omelette muffins for the week's breakfasts
  • Buy trouser for hiking (cost effective recommendations welcomed)
  • Clean bathroom
  • Clean and polish hiking boots
  • Clean kitchen
  • Hoover
  • Sort out new tenancy agreement
  • Wash gym and swim stuff
  • Grocery shopping
  • Play Diablo III only after completing at least 2 of the above
  • Like 1

Update list of things to possibly do:

• Make omelette muffins for the week's breakfasts
  • Buy trouser for hiking (cost effective recommendations welcomed)
  • Clean bathroom
  • Clean and polish hiking boots
  • Clean kitchen
  • Hoover
  • Sort out new tenancy agreement
  • Wash gym and swim stuff
  • Grocery shopping
  • Put batteries in the clocks (why haven't I done this already?)
  • Mow the lawn
  • Clean out my car
  • Take car to car wash
  • Play Diablo III only after completing at least 2 of the above

No gym today as I didn't get home in time. Speech at the conference went well though, thankfully, and it was nice to get away for a day. Just need to get up to swim in the morning and catch up on some Duolingo and I'll be on target.

Also, sorry if I'm not checking in on your threads much guys; need to schedule time to come on here more I think!

• Like 1

Good week so far.  Let us know how it goes with the trainer.  I've been thinking about paying for one sometime but I'm hesitant.  

"Play Diablo III" should be done as first, second, and third items.  Save the rest for when you're bored of playing.  The rest will always be there but evil will not kill itself.  

Good week so far.  Let us know how it goes with the trainer.  I've been thinking about paying for one sometime but I'm hesitant.  

I'd definitely recommend it. It would be mega expensive to do all the time, but the occasional session to check your form and to consider new work to add to your routine can be really worthwhile (or it felt like it to me anyway). I'm also lucky that my gym membership includes "program update" sessions, so I can book someone every 6-8 weeks to check on what I'm doing.

Got a new program put together last time, which I'm going to do on alternate sessions with the current one. I leave my gym log at the gym so this is as best as I can remember:

New one:

Squats (starting at 30kg) - 4 x 10

Incline Bench Press (starting at 25kg) - 4 x 10

Lat pull downs (machine) (can't remember weight, possibly 30kg?) - 4 x 10

Dumbell side raise, front raise, hammer curl, shoulder press (all together counts as 1 rep) (starting at 4kg) - 4 x 6

Weighted leg extensions, followed immediately with kettle bell trunk twists (is that what they're called?) - can't remember sets and reps

Old one:

Lunges (currently 30kg) - 4 x 12

Cable chest fly (currently 35kg) - 3 x 8

Barbell row, twist, press (currently 10kg) - 4 x 8

Inverted row - 4 x 10

Bastards - 3 x 11

"Play Diablo III" should be done as first, second, and third items.  Save the rest for when you're bored of playing.  The rest will always be there but evil will not kill itself.  

"when you're bored of playing". If I waited for that I'd starve to death in front of my monitor!