DrFeelgood X: The First Upgrade (Metal Man)

DrFeelgood

Good job recovering from the All time MFP high score.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

W3D6 - 2/3.  It didn't come at a nutritional cost, but I subverted my water goal again to enjoy some diet ginger ale with my dinner of BBQ chicken thighs, skillet potatoes, and salad--followed by ice cream for dessert.  The rest of the day came in on target.   MFG and I took the Minions on a family bike ride to the local shops, so total ride was about 7km and a little over an hour.  I was impressed at how well the youngest was able to keep up on his little bike. :D

Bedtime was on time and today is off to a great start.  Week 3 looks to end strong and set up a good start to the final stretch.

• Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

W3D7 - 0/3.  The only planned failure was my water goal since I wanted to finish off the diet ginger ale from the previous day.  The rest of the failures happened after the Minions' bedtimes.  It was a difficult day to plan anyway since church was held outdoors and there was fellowship after the service, complete with food trucks offering tasty vittles.  I did my best to stay on target for lunch and dinner, and by sundown I was right on track.

Then the kids went to bed and my whole psyche relaxed.  It had been a stressful weekend with all the demands of parenthood and general living.  Following an afternoon of lawn and outdoor maintenance (the first time in weeks the weather held off enough to get some work done) I was sunburnt and completely done with the day, but the kids still required constant monitoring.  My entire being sighed in relief when they (finally) fell asleep--long after their own bedtimes--and that's when I quit caring about discipline.  So I ate whatever I wanted while watching Game of Thrones.  Then since I was enjoying my night so much I stayed up even longer eating snacks and watching Futurama.  I'm not even sorry.

TL;DR - took the day off.  Back at it today.

• Like 5

unnamed.jpg

If only I'd taken advantage... ;)

Alas, no--my snacks were decidedly savory: eggs, quesadillas, a bowl of Cheerios.  The only dessert-y thing I did was to swab a couple pieces of milk chocolate through the peanut butter jar so I could "glue" on a few pecans.  That's a tasty treat.

I've held up my Pain™ deal by not buying ice cream.  The stuff I ate the other day was leftover from MFG after she picked out all the brownie bits. :lol:  I told her next time she should just buy some brownies.

• Like 3

swab a couple pieces of milk chocolate through the peanut butter jar so I could "glue" on a few pecans.  That's a tasty treat.

That sounds delicious! 

If I go off the rails, I get everything sweet in site ;) 

And great job on not getting the ice cream!

• Like 3
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

W4D1 - 3/4.  I'm more or less neglecting my water goal lately.  The only departures have included diet sodas (zero calories) and a single glass of milk the other night with my chocolate indulgences.  All other goals were met.

Workout was superb:  I made good progress with my squat form (6 reps at 310 lbs) and I can feel the overhead press wanting to gain that seventh rep at 150 lbs.  Dips and leg raises were crushed out before another nice long stretch.  Good stuff.

Calories were on target:  I've been trying to keep my meals about the same as they will be when I start cutting again and just fill in the additional energy with added snacking.  It's getting tougher now that my daily targets are right at maintenance level.  There will definitely be some shock when I start eating less again.

Bedtime was on time, but sleep was delayed.  Should be a solid Day 2 today.

• Like 6

W4D2 - 0/3.  Stayed home on sick leave to tend and try to prevent a pending ailment.  Caught a nap during the afternoon that messed with bedtime.  Since I skipped lunch I had plenty of calories left over after dinner, so I added some ice cream to round out the day.  Then MFG made a pan of bacon and bought some cookies, so I snacked and blew my total for the day.  I'm still ignoring the water goal in this final week.  So that's a tanked day, but it was worth it.

After being excluded all day it's good to be back in the working forums.  From what I can tell the gallery issues have been repaired as well, and the previous problem we were all having with edits has been remedied.  Catch y'all in the AM with updates for Day 3 (spreadsheet already contains the stats).

• Like 4

I hope the ailment doesn't push through, take care of yourself <4

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

Then MFG made a pan of bacon and bought some cookies

Women.... You can't live with them, you can't live without them ;)

• Like 1
Spoiler

8 hours ago, Hilary_W said:

Good to see you're taking care of yourself. Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Thanks, usually I only stay home when I don't want to take something contagious to the office, but on this occasion I needed to just lie in bed all day and let a few things heal up.

8 hours ago, Terah said:

I hope the ailment doesn't push through, take care of yourself <4

Women.... You can't live with them, you can't live without them ;)

Seems I was able to keep it from getting worse, only time will tell.

I definitely can't live without MFG--she's my world (my bacon-y, chocolate-chippy world). :D

• Like 4

W4D3 - 1/4.  Still struggling to reel in the calories, still not caring about water, still enjoying my nights with MFG after the kids have gone to bed--this final week is petering out a bit, but that's okay.  This is my last challenge before going back to real deficit-eating so I'm not worried about getting a little lax before the push begins again.  As for food, it wasn't a terrible day, but it was our weekly bible-study group and potluck so I think Wednesdays are just going to be tough to count as a matter of course going forward.  Again, nothing I'm going to stress about because I like making and having friends.  Water goal fell again to some diet Dr Pepper I drank before heading to the gym.

Workout was very good.  Bench press is still tracking for a slight increase over the challenge period, and deadlift has made significant improvements.  I'm going to purchase some wrist straps before the next challenge starts so I can keep getting heavier with that one because my grip keeps failing before the rest of me is ready to quit.  I was able to pull the last set of rows all the way to 8 reps at 175, which is a major improvement over the year so far.  I finished up with my usual planks and some really good stretching.

Bedtime was late because I wanted it to be. ;)

MFG and Bubbles are heading to a homeschool convention tomorrow so I'm taking the day off work to be a full-time dad for the weekend.  That means I won't be able to get my final programmed workout in for this challenge, so I'm just going to do something active with the Rowdyruff Boys and slip my final barbell session to next Monday during Week 0, which is a deload week anyway.  The next lifting cycle will start with the next challenge.  I bought a couple of new board games on Amazon to help me dad this weekend if the weather competes with our other planned activities.  I'm looking forward to some R&R with my boys--it should be a fun weekend.

• Like 3

W4D4 - 0/3.  Way over on calories--basically just 24 hours of mindless snacking.  Regular and diet sodas peppered the day with caffeine.  Bedtime was late since I was wired and I wanted to spend some time with MFG before she left for the weekend.  She and Bubbles are at the convention now, so the boys and I are watching Thundercats while I finish up my home-office stuff this morning.  We'll get out and do something fun together while trying to pay at least lip service to my fitness plans. ;)

• Like 2

On 28-4-2016 at 3:44 PM, DrFeelgood said:

to be a full-time dad for the weekend.

Have fun! I'm sure your boys will love all the attention :) 

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

W4D4 - 0/3.  Way over on calories--basically just 24 hours of mindless snacking.  Regular and diet sodas peppered the day with caffeine.  Bedtime was late since I was wired and I wanted to spend some time with MFG before she left for the weekend.  She and Bubbles are at the convention now, so the boys and I are watching Thundercats while I finish up my home-office stuff this morning.  We'll get out and do something fun together while trying to pay at least lip service to my fitness plans. ;)

You just started your weekend 0 early. Get it out of your system this weekend and start fresh and motivated on Monday with the rest of us Doodlies :) 

• Like 2
Spoiler

5 hours ago, Terah said:

Have fun! I'm sure your boys will love all the attention :) 

You just started your weekend 0 early. Get it out of your system this weekend and start fresh and motivated on Monday with the rest of us Doodlies :) 

We're having a ball. :)  Need some down time to recover from our big adventures today.  Pizza is on the way!

I'm taking a full Week 0 next weeks, so my next challenge won't start until the 8th.  I don't think I can afford to keep this rate up all week, though. ;)  Next week is my final week of reverse dieting now that I've worked my way slowly back up to eating at maintenance (and then some).  I need to cut again so my pants will quit assaulting me. :D

• Like 4

W4D5 - 2/4.  I took the boys bowling for our activity, then we went to the sports store to pick up a few things.  Just as we arrived a tornadic storm passed through and dropped a bunch of hail on our spot, but the tornadoes didn't hit until they were about 15 miles northeast of the shopping center.  There was some property damage but no lives lost as far as I've heard.  I got some video of the developing storm before the hail started--pretty impressive.  Anyway, with the bowling and all the walking, I'll say that miscellaneous improv exercise is a pass.

Calories are still high, but they should even out over the next week.  I drank some soda with the boys during our lunch abroad.  We ordered pizza for dinner and then played Splendor until bedtime.  After washing up and brushing teeth we did our nightly devotion and I tucked them in for a good night's sleep.  I didn't last much longer on my own, so I called it a day at a bit after 10pm and slept great all night.

MFG and Bubbles will be back tonight, so the boys and I need to get our day underway if we're going to do everything I have planned. :)

• Like 4

W4D6 - 1/3.  Well we survived 36 hours without Mom, and we had a lot of fun together with not too many hurt feelings.  My boys really take it hard when they can't do something perfectly the first time (bowling, golf, board games, etc.).  I suspect they get that from me.  MFG and Bubbles had a great and productive time at the convention, so it's been an outstanding weekend.  For Saturday's outings I took the boys to the driving range and let them split a bucket of balls.  Then we did a few putting challenges on the practice green.  It started fun and turned all emotional--they get that part from their Mom. ;)  We ended on a better run and then came home to start dinner and play 7 Wonders, which they loved.  The girls made it home in time to join us, so we had a lovely family meal while everyone talked about their weekends.

In terms of my own fitness goals I'm still tracking but I'm done trying.  I allowed the last week of this challenge to lapse for no particular reason, and I don't regret it at all.  I have one more week of reverse dieting before shifting full force toward strict deficits and major fat burning, which is sorely needed since I'm now flirting with the last notch on my belt. :D  I still have one more heavy workout tomorrow to finish up this lifting cycle, and then Wednesday and Friday will be deloaded sessions to aid recovery and prep for the next cycle.

large.57266106567f9_WeightGraph.JPG

The scale for this final week's official check-in said 222 lbs., so I've maintained fairly well over the course of this challenge while increasing my intake to restore my metabolism.  One more Week Zero and I'll be ready to cut again.  I won't end this challenge until Monday night in order to log the final workout, then I'll do a wrap up on Metal Man and prep for the next boss stage.

• Like 6

W4D7 - 0/3.  Well, that's a strong finish to the challenge.  A bunch of ice cream took me over 5000 calories for the final day. :)  A fair amount of soda tanked the water goal, put a bunch of sugar in my blood, and infused me with enough caffeine to stay up for Game of Thrones. :D

Week Zero starts this afternoon when I've finished my final workout.  I'll wrap everything up tomorrow.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

W4D7 - 0/3.  Well, that's a strong finish to the challenge.  A bunch of ice cream took me over 5000 calories for the final day. :)  A fair amount of soda tanked the water goal, put a bunch of sugar in my blood, and infused me with enough caffeine to stay up for Game of Thrones. :D

Week Zero starts this afternoon when I've finished my final workout.  I'll wrap everything up tomorrow.

That day sounds epic. I hope you enjoyed it!

• Like 2
Spoiler

47 minutes ago, Terah said:

That day sounds epic. I hope you enjoyed it!

I did enjoy it. :)  It was a great weekend!

25 minutes ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Way to go out with a bang!

That's the only thing that didn't happen, MFG and I were exhausted by the time we got to bed. ;)

• Like 5

Final workout completed, it was kind of an off day after skipping Friday and eating like a moron all weekend.  Probably a fitting end to this challenge.

But it's over now.  Metal Man has been defeated, not that I was trying very hard there toward the end of the stage.  Now I can stand around for a blink waiting for Dr. Light to beam me out and equip me with the Metal Blade.

Challenge spreadsheets are here.

- I successfully completed my reverse diet, bringing my daily calories all the way back up to (calculated) maintenance without gaining any weight.

- I completed all of my programmed workouts and made strength gains with the barbells.

- I demonstrated to myself that I can stick to my goals when I feel like they matter.

My 1RMs for the barbell lifts are a mixed bag, so I'm going to focus on my working weights instead:

- Bench increased from 215 to 235 lbs.

- Deadlift increased from 315 to 350 lbs.

- Squat increased from 285 to 330 lbs.

- Overhead press increased from 150 to 155 lbs.

Those are decent numbers relative to my lean mass.  More importantly every single lift was attempted and competed with more weight than I've ever tried before.  If I can get deadlift up to 405 and OHP up to 185 then I'll be right where I want to be.

Since that final week consisted of several consecutive significant calorie surpluses I'm going to end my reverse diet a week earlier than planned.  As of yesterday the cut is on.  I'm super pumped to get back in control of my body mass, and with the lessons I've learned over the last 16 months I can be that much smarter about my nutrition this time around.

Week Zero will not be a week off, but I'm still not going to start my next challenge until the 8th.  Hope to see y'all there.

• Like 6