RuckFit Light 2016 PvP Challenge

Did a WOD on Friday consisting of - 

• 2 minute staggered plank
  • 1 minute AMRAP pushups
  • 1 minute bear crawls (which made it clear my backpack is NOT designed for this)
  • 2 minutes AMRAP squats
  • 2 minutes AMRAP lunges
  • 90 second plank

Yikes, that was hard. I think I'll do something more like what @Elastigirl's describing for my next one, with preset reps. 

That is a killer workout. I was wondering how the ruck would work for bear crawls. I was afraid mine would end up hitting me in then head.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Got a 9 mile ruck for time with a 35# pack coming up Wednesday for a competition. I'll let you know how it goes...I've rucked that far once in the past 4 years :P

• Like 3

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

That is a killer workout. I was wondering how the ruck would work for bear crawls. I was afraid mine would end up hitting me in then head.

Mine kept falling off the sides of my back, since it's sort of a low-hanging backpack and not a proper ruck. My head was safe though! 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Hit the 30 mile mark for my second challenge! :) 

• Like 1

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

Hoping this question doesn't get me thrown out of the Ruck club;) Looking at the rucks, at the go ruck site, and they are beautiful, but, wow, are they expensive. The cheapest one is almost $100. And if you want the cool weights, that costs still more. Looking at Amazon, I see what look like good backpacks with frames for around $50, which fits much better into my budget.  What is the difference? Right now, I am only carrying 7.5 pounds, most I will probably get up to is 20 pounds. I mean, if I am still into next year at this time, then maybe I will pay the money. Right now I am thinking it would be nice to have a framed pack,to help distribute the weight, but I don't want to put a bunch of money into it  until I've kept at it for a while and can really tell if rucking is my thing(or one of my things at least)

So, does anyone just use a framed backpack? What is the special difference with the rucks? Would a framed backpack be better than my just normal backpack? 

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hoping this question doesn't get me thrown out of the Ruck club;) Looking at the rucks, at the go ruck site, and they are beautiful, but, wow, are they expensive. The cheapest one is almost $100. And if you want the cool weights, that costs still more. Looking at Amazon, I see what look like good backpacks with frames for around $50, which fits much better into my budget.  What is the difference? Right now, I am only carrying 7.5 pounds, most I will probably get up to is 20 pounds. I mean, if I am still into next year at this time, then maybe I will pay the money. Right now I am thinking it would be nice to have a framed pack,to help distribute the weight, but I don't want to put a bunch of money into it  until I've kept at it for a while and can really tell if rucking is my thing(or one of my things at least)

So, does anyone just use a framed backpack? What is the special difference with the rucks? Would a framed backpack be better than my just normal backpack? 

GORUCK pros: high quality materials, lifetime guarantee, designed by people who know what they're doing with rucking

Cons: price

I STILL have not tried out my new GR2, so I can't vouch for any difference in feel, though I've heard it's a huge improvement over the Army-issue assault pack I wore on my GORUCK in September. That being said, I can tell just by feeling the pack that the quality is magnificent. This may be the last pack I buy in my life. I do not regret spending those $300.

However, there's nothing wrong with going cheaper if you're not sure you'll stick with rucking long-term. Framed packs with waist belts are generally better for weight distribution over a normal backpack.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

GORUCK pros: high quality materials, lifetime guarantee, designed by people who know what they're doing with rucking

Cons: price

I STILL have not tried out my new GR2, so I can't vouch for any difference in feel, though I've heard it's a huge improvement over the Army-issue assault pack I wore on my GORUCK in September. That being said, I can tell just by feeling the pack that the quality is magnificent. This may be the last pack I buy in my life. I do not regret spending those $300.

However, there's nothing wrong with going cheaper if you're not sure you'll stick with rucking long-term. Framed packs with waist belts are generally better for weight distribution over a normal backpack.

Thanks, this is a big help. That was sort of my feeling, the one I buy at Amazon isn't going to last as long. But, if I wear it for a year, and get good mileage out of it, and I am still into rucking, then I can upgrade. 

Thanks, this is a big help. That was sort of my feeling, the one I buy at Amazon isn't going to last as long. But, if I wear it for a year, and get good mileage out of it, and I am still into rucking, then I can upgrade. 

I'm curious - which one are you looking at?

I'm curious - which one are you looking at?

Haven't really narrowed it down yet, just did a quick skim for internal frame backpack. I saw several in the $50 to $60 range. I didn't check to see if they had waist belts though, I need to look at that. You can spend more on those too. I don't think I really need a super sturdy one though. My goal right now is to work up to 10# and then stay there until it is comfortable before I move on. So I don't think I need a heavy duty pack. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Why not? said:

Got a 9 mile ruck for time with a 35# pack coming up Wednesday for a competition. I'll let you know how it goes...I've rucked that far once in the past 4 years :P

Turned out to be a 7 mile (really more like 6.75) ruck. Weight was 38# plus water, weapon, and some other gear. Total weight carried was probably around 55# with all of that. Time was right around 1:38:30. I did not pack the ruck particularly well and ended up with steel plates right against my spine/lower back, so I have some nice ruck rash going on now. Also beat my feet up pretty well...moleskin is my friend today. Can't wait for what I expect will be a 12-miler in two weeks :P

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

7 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Those are some serious miles with impressive amount of weight.

Thanks, it wasn't much fun. I need to start putting some more miles on my feet in boots. Also, thank God I can wear shoes for my GORUCK in May...

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

End of challenge, and I have a sore shoulder and calf. I only had one thing  remaining for the Ruck challenge, my WOD. Since I could pick what I wanted, and I really wanted to check the ticky box, I did a rather lame WOD, but at least I can call it complete:)

plank 30 seconds hold x 30 sec rest x 3

I also did a plank workout for my last WOD, since I wasn't feeling very creative. :P 10 minutes total of various plank variations until I ran out of ideas. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2016 at 5:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

For the challenge with my 5# ruck, 12 pushups in 2 minutes/ couldn't figure out how to do situps with the ruck, so I did planks  1:45 out of 2 minutes( one minute plank, then a mix of holding plank and break)

Your ruck should go on your chest for the situps.  Basically you wear it backwards.

• Like 1