hello, all!

i'm new here. i'm pretty small, partial to pastries, more inclined to sit and read than go for a run. really love nature and cats.

currently, i'm studying abroad in a totally foreign country and have been a bit over my head, hit by culture-shock, bad anxiety, and isolation. i'd really like to get back on track and because i feel my mind and body are so connected, here i am! i'm visiting the druid group because i love yoga and definitely need some more balance and reflection in my life.

with that lil introduction over, here's what i'd like to implement in the next month to challenge myself...

daily: journal, meditation (ten minutes), yoga (thirty minutes), 2L water

weekly: run ten miles total, attend all classes (11 total)

diet: budget/record spending on groceries, no cooking with meat, less cooking with dairy

i want to find myself- find balance and routine again- feel at home with myself- i haven't felt healthy in my mind or body for the past few months since arriving here. i would love any and all suggestions! what are good ways to achieve these goals? 

peace,

toughhobbit

Hi, toughhobbit, and welcome to the rebellion! :)

There are many ways to achieve your goals, but I'd suggest 2: organization and patience. Take a look first at which is your actual stage in all the areas you want to change/improve. Then take the slightliest step forward from that position. Design a plan where you walk from your present self to your future self, in tiny steps. Then follow it (so easy to say that...). And then, patience to keep on when things get complicated and to await for results.

I don't know your level of fitness, but if you're pretty sedentary, I'd start by walking fast instead of running. Also, if you find overwhelming to start so many things at a time, pick just one of the areas (food or exercise or meditation...) and work on it for 1 or 2 weeks before adding more things.

Living in a foreign country is tough, especially if it is a very different culture. But it gets better with time, I'm sure you'll get to enjoy it!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

zenLara, thank you so much for the reply! i am really enjoying my time here-- just want to get my life in order a bit too, and feel good. i'll try to get up like a schedule or plan, that's a good idea! 

by the way, did i read in one of your posts that you have sweet potatoes for lunch? i haven't found any here in southern spain...

31 minutes ago, toughhobbit said:

zenLara, thank you so much for the reply! i am really enjoying my time here-- just want to get my life in order a bit too, and feel good. i'll try to get up like a schedule or plan, that's a good idea! 

by the way, did i read in one of your posts that you have sweet potatoes for lunch? i haven't found any here in southern spain...

C'mon, you're in Spain? Me too :)

Ask for "boniatos" or "batatas" (not "patatas"), it depends on the region they are called one or other way. Except if you're in Andalucía, they may have their own word for that.

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

Welcome to the druids!

Yes a routine might help you. But do not become a slave of your own giant schedule ;) Means: Don't do everything at once and burn out within 3 weeks.

So maybe start with 2 time yoga and meditation per week and increase this each week. You have a lot of daily goals ;)

However: Have a great time with us and don't hesitate to ask.

Where are you from originally?

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

C'mon, you're in Spain? Me too :)

Ask for "boniatos" or "batatas" (not "patatas"), it depends on the region they are called one or other way. Except if you're in Andalucía, they may have their own word for that.

i noticed :D:D hehe yes i'm in andalucia, but I'll ask around! thanks!

2 hours ago, Sunmage said:

Welcome to the druids!

Yes a routine might help you. But do not become a slave of your own giant schedule ;) Means: Don't do everything at once and burn out within 3 weeks.

So maybe start with 2 time yoga and meditation per week and increase this each week. You have a lot of daily goals ;)

However: Have a great time with us and don't hesitate to ask.

Where are you from originally?

thank you sunmage! i'm from the midwest, usa, originally, and am living abroad (studying) for six months. i do have a lot of daily goals... i was thinking a little bit every day instead of trying to do a lot overall, but maybe that's not the best approach? i also have way more free time than i'm used to, as back in the states my studies were more rigorous and i worked two jobs, too, but here it's a lot of siesta and fiesta.

i'll keep you updated on my little adventure :) thank you for the warm welcome.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, toughhobbit said:

here it's a lot of siesta and fiesta.

You're in Andalucía, darling. That's what it is XD

• Like 1

Your dailies all seem like a great way to achieve those goals, meditation, yoga, and journaling are all great ways to become more mindful and hopefully find yourself again. You mentioned feeling at home with yourself, I hope that you find this feeling to stave off the isolation of being in those strange surroundings.

• Like 1

Level: 3 - Wood Elf - Wanderer

STR: 0 | DEX: 5 | STA: 11 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | Current

"Quit...don't quit...noodles...don't noodles. You are too concerned with what was, and what will be"

- Master Oogway

Hi toughhobbit! I know the study abroad thing can really throw your habits into a tail spin. I studied in Scotland aND Germany and man it was all I could do to create normal while I was there. My recommendation is to lay out a schedule that allows for time for your goals without being overly strict and making you want to drop it when something unique comes up. Also I would suggest not pushing yourself to advance beyond where you were before your trip. Ie if you were routinely running 10 miles in the US then that's a fine goal. If you have never done that, then perhaps just make goals to go out and walk? Also take advantage of being in Spain. Spend more time outside walking and exploring rather than setting regular exercise goals. Looking forward to seeing how this challenge goes for you.

• Like 1

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

Welcome to the druids.

I have no suggestions for how to achieve your goals beyond do the things that you've mentioned.  So, the best way to:

Journal daily - Is to write in your journal every day.

Meditate daily - Is to meditate, every day.  Maybe try out guided, unguided, standing, nidras, zazen.

Yoga daily - Take every day to try out some variation of yoga.  Yin, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Bikram, Hatha.

2L of Water - Seems like drinking two liters of water a day will accomplish this.

Divide your larger goals into smaller subsections that work around your life.  That's how you find balance, as you only push with your toes harder as you feel the weight of your body swaying forward.  I think that your goals are fantastic, and that you should approach them with a playful and loving heart.  Experiment like a toddler would with dancing....simply start by taking enjoyable action and then the details will work themselves out as you grow into the practice. :D

• Like 3

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4