Xena faces the wall

Xena

I'm moving into the last 5 weeks of marathon training...so the challenge is kind of more of the same. I have two or three hard weeks left and then a taper. Hard weeks are hard. Taper weeks usually lead to obsessing over phantom injuries etc. Hoping you guys will help me hold it together J

1.       Plan the run. Run the plan.  This is my most important goal. 11 weeks into a training plan aimed toward a 4 hour marathon. week, there are 4 possible points (2 speed/tempo workouts, a long run, and being within 2 miles of target total mileage)

2.       150 push-ups. (Spread over the whole challenge!)

3.       8 times to the gym. Still working very slowly toward chin-ups. Because I can’t do any actual chin-ups yet, I mostly do negatives and use the gravitron as a quantifiable benchmark. I actually improved a tiny bit last month. Able to do sets of 8,8,7 @ “11”.

4.       Fun cooking goal. I got a bunch of great spices for Christmas and some soup mixes…make one dish using each of these things (not all together!)

i5ni54.jpg

5.       Stretch goal. Finish 30 day splits challenge (13 days to go). And do two at-home restorative yoga sessions.

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Looking forward to seeing you smash that Marathon.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Can't miss out on my favourite Marathon runner.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

20 hours ago, Xena said:

Taper weeks usually lead to obsessing over phantom injuries etc. 

Wasn't it you and Phoenix who came up with the name "The Phantom Pain" for that weird, nebulous ache you get right before you work out? I cannot tell you how much saner I felt after I found out I wasn't the only one who's knees start mysteriously aching right before I go the the gym...

You're gonna be great, I know it 

:)

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Ooh! The spice mixes look great. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Great goals and focus, as always.

I'm encouraged by your chin-up and push-up progress. I'm constantly fighting the common refrain that older women have a hard time with strength training. It's not as if there is much long-term research on that. I'm 11 years older than you. I love examples like this because they show that women considerably older than either of us can start strength training and get strong.

• Like 3

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

11 hours ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

Ooh! The spice mixes look great. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

So happy to see old and new friends on this thread! Tzippi...haven't seen you here in a while. Psyched to hear how the re-location has gone. And YES, you would definitely think of lots of good ideas for the spice mixes :-)

11 hours ago, Hilary_W said:

Yes, the cooking goal looks like a lot of fun.

Hi Hilary! I see it's your first challenge (or like me, and old signature line!). If your first challenge, Welcome! I'll swing by and visit either way. Definitely impressed by your 100 pushup goal :-)

7 hours ago, Mistr said:

Great goals and focus, as always.

I'm encouraged by your chin-up and push-up progress. I'm constantly fighting the common refrain that older women have a hard time with strength training. It's not as if there is much long-term research on that. I'm 11 years older than you. I love examples like this because they show that women considerably older than either of us can start strength training and get strong.

It is cool to think that we can keep getting stronger. Or at least keep challenging our bodies in new ways. I like the video too!

P.S. I did nothing to work on my challenge today. It was a planned/engineered rest day. But no worries, lots of stuff on tap for tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Ah, phantom injuries, those are a thing...a maddeningly irritating thing. "Wait, why is my shoulder sore? Can't think of anything I did to it? Why does it have to be such a jerk to me?" And so on.

Mmmm, yummy spices. Can't wait to see what you come up with. 

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Yesterday was a great challenge day. Morning run with alternating marathon/easy pace (mile-by-mile for 7 miles). I was on the bike path and it was gently snowing (not like the driving sleet of Sunday). After work nice session at the gym. I had changed up some of my gym routine, and it made it feel a little more fun.

Today some stretching, pushups, and partial "deck of cards***" (for mini-challenge- 17 cards down!) workout in the morning. After work I was in a TERRIBLE mood, but had to lead the track workout. I had planned one of my favorites: 3x1 mile, with 5 burpees after each lap within the miles. That workout always makes me smile. It's fun to know that people will actually do burpees just because I told them to :-)

Up to 22 pushups so far for the challenge.

*** There are lots of variations on deck of cards workouts. I just pick a different exercise for each suit (and I've avoided pushups because I'm already doing plenty of them).

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

1 hour ago, Xena said:

After work I was in a TERRIBLE mood, but had to lead the track workout. I had planned one of my favorites: 3x1 mile, with 5 burpees after each lap within the miles. That workout always makes me smile. It's fun to know that people will actually do burpees just because I told them to :-)

The thrill of power... :)

Here to see you whip this challenge and help you hold it together when the phantom menace appears. You've got this! :encouragement: 

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Today kind of a low energy day. Took a couple visitors on a trail run in the morning. After running, did a little stretching and a bit of the "deck of cards" workout. Was too tired to do much of anything after work. Going to rest up tonight and declare a "micro-re-spawn" tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

You are doing well Xena, burpees are always fun.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Pretty good weekend. Yesterday I finished that darned deck of cards workout and did a solid, moderately hilly 12 miles.

Today volunteered for our local trail race (course marking...set-up/take-down), so got in another 20K+. Between set-up and take-down, I fit in a gym session. Wasn't the best gym session ever because my legs were a little shot, but I didn't want to start the challenge in the hole on this.

Week 1 Re-cap

1. Run the plan. Giving myself the full 4 points here. Made some modifications, mostly because of the trail race, but I think I got in all the key workouts.

2. 150 Pushups. Only 22 this week. I'm behind here, mostly because of the mini-challenge and my burpee track workout. I think I can gain a lot of ground this week.

3. 8 times to the Gym. Went twice (including dragging myself today), so I'm on track.

4. Cooking (using 6 spice mixes and soup mix). Used the soup mix last weekend. Used a couple of the spices in uninspired ways (sprinkled a little on some chicken), so I'm only counting those as half complete. Would have cooked something interesting this weekend but just have too many leftovers sitting around. First world problem.

5. Stretching...5 of the last 8 days. Up to day 22 of the 30 day challenge. Pretty sure I'm not getting any more flexible, just working out the knots after each run.

I've mentioned before I have one crazy tight hamstring. I also have a weak hip on the same leg. I've tried various hip/glute exercises on and off. I was thinking about it a little today because I was doing single-leg deadlifts, and that leg is MUCH worse as a base leg. It's not just the lack of flexibility but also a lack of strength and/or stability. I get kind of bored doing traditional hip/glute strengthening exercises. I was thinking that I might be able to work on this with some yoga balance poses. Half moon, warrior 3, dancer would be obvious ones. Also 3 legged dog....I really don't like that pose, which most likely means it would be very helpful. Side plank (vasisthasana) with leg raised...this one is good because it's challenging but more fun than miserable (also I think this really gets at the lateral weakness).

I do want to come up with another medium-term (challenge or two) stretching/yoga goal for after I finish the one I'm working on. I have a few days left of the circuit and then I'm going to use the rest of this 4-week challenge to experiment with some ideas.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Oh....my other big win for the day. I finally figured out how to skip to unread posts in the threads I'm following. This is after several people posted specific directions on the general chatter thread. Still took a little floundering around on my part. But now I've got that figured out....and have consequently realized that I don't seem to be following many of the threads I fully intended to be following.  ...I'm apparently a cyber-work-in-progress (as well as a real-life work-in-progress).

• Like 5

Oct/Nov 2016

Oh....my other big win for the day. I finally figured out how to skip to unread posts in the threads I'm following. This is after several people posted specific directions on the general chatter thread. Still took a little floundering around on my part. But now I've got that figured out....and have consequently realized that I don't seem to be following many of the threads I fully intended to be following.  ...I'm apparently a cyber-work-in-progress (as well as a real-life work-in-progress).

Me too! I read the tips in the general chatter thread and all of a sudden keeping up with peoples threads was so much easier. I realised I'd missed a few people I meant to follow, including you!. Derp! This has now been rectified!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I've been missing that feature ever since the format changed. I would never have found it without your help.

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

How did I manage to miss this thread for so long?

I couldn't believe how much stuff I was missing on your thread. You created a whole new world over there!

@mistr sounds like you figured it out by yourself! I was not very helpful in my description :-)

Today was a little blah. Uninspired and stressful day at work. Said no to one or two extra commitments for this week (enough is enough!!!). Introduced a friend to the upstairs part of the gym today and showed him a bunch of exercises. He's an old friend but new to the gym and just getting back into exercising. I wanted to be helpful but didn't want to overwhelm or intimidate. Potentially difficult balance, but I think I did ok for today.

He was talking about scheduling a session with a trainer. I think that's a great idea (and told him so), but also think he might get more out of it if he gets just a little more familiar with the gym first. Will be able to think more about what he wants to learn etc.

• Like 3

Oct/Nov 2016

Xena! Yeah I missed your thread too...heading over to the general chatter thread to try to figure things out. I love that you're a gym mentor! 

Did you say your marathon is the 1st? Can't remember which one you said you are doing, too lazy to dig through and find the post :P

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I'm doing the Kalamazoo marathon on May 8. This week is my last week of hard training.

Speaking of hard training, I couldn't quite hack it today. This morning I was aiming for 7 miles with 8x800 at 10 K pace. My body felt tired and I wanted to skip it. Made myself go out, did the first 2 800's and felt completely exhausted. Ran moderately after that for a total of 4 miles. Will have to do more intervals tomorrow to balance this out. Last week was pretty hard, so I'm not surprised...you are pretty much supposed to feel like crap at this point in the training. Body can only do what it can do.

Went to the doctor today for a minor issue. I have a great doctor! Have had the same on since I moved here (about 14 years ago). Picked him as my primary doctor because he has a sports medicine specialty. Love that I can talk to him about fitness. Also cool to have the same doctor for so long. I was telling him about my problem (minor rash near my eye) and mentioned that I had experienced something similar 5-10 years ago...sure enough, he looks back and in less than a minute finds detailed notes from 2005/2006. It's great to have someone who really knows your medical history.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Xena! Yeah I missed your thread too...heading over to the general chatter thread to try to figure things out. I love that you're a gym mentor! 

Did you say your marathon is the 1st? Can't remember which one you said you are doing, too lazy to dig through and find the post :P

Let's see

1. Click "unread content" (at the top of the page)

2. On the menu under "following" select something like content I am following

3. On the topics that appear, click on the blue start to the left of the topic name

Glitch:

4. Every time you go back to "unread content" from the top of the page, I think you have to repeat step #2 (ANNOYING!)...but you can work around it by using the "back" button instead.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

ooooh! I'm obviously still learning. Directly from the forum page, if you just click on the blue circles or stars, you will go straight to unread content.

Don't know if you new this but you can make your own stream (like my content but better) with just the people you follow.  It's easier to use, although I can't remember why since I haven't used my content since I made my on stream.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.