Dragon_Lady Episode 1: The Fat Menace

Swirling fire intro:

Hi guys, I'm Lady_Dragon. A dragon irl, who is stuck as a female human for at least 80 years (or so the old witch said before I ate her...no offense other witches, this one was really rude and deserved it). The old witch told me, as I held her in my claws, that I was going to be knocked on the head, and be reborn as a human female to live out my life until I was able to transcend back to my dragon self. I was too busy being angry at her for trying to take off some of my scales to use in some spell or some sort to pay much attention. So, here I am. BUT what she didn't tell me was that I would be stuck in a human WHO HAS A HARD TIME NOT BEING FAT. Seriously! WTF with you humans!!! In any case, here I am. When I was a dragon, I had a nice huge size, I was very muscular, I was short for a female dragon, sure, but I was confident and was one of the fastest in my nest crew. So you can imagine how angry I am to be 35 years of human age and stuck being slow and fat. 

How's a girl supposed to be strong and intimidating if she's slow and fat? HOW? 

But I digress. 

My goal in this stupid human life, is to be strong. One of you humans came up with the idea of this chick and I saw her when I was like 8:

WonderWoman-Ross.png and her sister Nubia 6ebb75f09bf1fcba066ad9581d95f671.jpg

Look at her! Strong...confident...you can almost see her wings! I want to be like that! But what am I instead?

eddie_murphy_norbit2006-as-fat-black-woman-med-big.jpg

So what's a dragon to do? 

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to:

Goal 1: Lift like a dragon

I want to be strong. So I'm going to lift weights. 3 x a week, Mon-Wed-Fri going to lift as much as I can. I have been following the Nike + Fitness and I'm going to continue doing that but adding more weight and pushing myself harder. 

Goal 2: Eat like a dragon

When I was a dragonface, I ate a lot of meat that I caught myself. I can't really go about doing that anymore (hard to divebomb a field with no wings) but I can still eat like one. Meat, vegetables, and very little carbs. 50g carbs a day TOPS + 1500 calories. That's right, I'm going into ketosis again. I may give myself a little treat now and again ...let's say, once every 2 weeks I'll give myself like a gluten free cookie or something. But just one. Maybe a Starbucks to go with it.

Goal 3: Think like a dragon

This life is all I got until I get back to my dragon self again, so I need to start doing things that are for me and me alone. #YOLO as the kids say. So I'm going to do that. Right now, I have no friends. None. No one I can talk to about anything. Sure i have a boyfriend but that's not what I want. I want a bff again. So I have to go find one. This...is harder than I thought it would be. I'm mostly into male human stuff, and so far the only people I can get along with are as such, so, this should be interesting. But my goal is to find a friend.

Goal 4: Meditate

Dragons get a lot of time to think about things, and that's what I need to do. Feel the freedom to think and relax. So right now, I'm going to do a 5 min a week meditation session as a basis. I can do more, but not less. Every week, add 2 minutes. 

So that's it for now. I will record things into this journal daily, to see how I progress. I look forward to talking to hopefully a bunch of you in this journey to get my roar back.

My base stats are:

Int: 10

Str: 10

Sta: 10

Wis: 5

Agi: 2

--Yoda's wisdom for today:

Eat fudge today. Allow for such, rare visit does hmm. Hmm yes. Yes. Tomorrow, feel burn and lift hard. Yesss.

• Like 3

Whoa, I see some eerie similarities here ... okay, not that eerie, given this community ... I too, am aiming for a max of 1500 calories and have no friends who live anywhere even remotely close to me. (Must admit I've never been a dragon, though I do voluntarily turn into a bear every winter ...)

Following!

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

great goals! Good luck!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Yesterday, I made the mistake of taking my before pictures. Le'ts just say that it hurt. A lot. I have to walk around with people looking at me like that. Here I was, just not even realizing how bad I look (I mean yea, I do, but the severity...Gods the severity...) until then. What. Was. I. Thinking? I should have 100% changed this years ago! I mean, yes, I had been working on it but ...ugh. 

Very distressing.

So, today I went and did the improbable. I went for a 8 minute bike ride around my neighborhood. Not the bike ride that I would have taken 3 years ago, the long way, but it was a start. I could go back out again, but I want to ramp up slowly. Super slowly. Tonight I am lifting, so a little bit of biking does me good I think. It was nice to get out there, feel the wind, and thankfully no one was out there save one older woman. I have to build up the courage to do more than my little area. But that will come with time.

AS far as food is concerned, I have done badly. 

Breakfast: 483 cal, 8 carbs

Lunch 739 cal, 73 carbs

Dinner: 352 cal 38 carbs

Snacks 330 cal 29 carbs

Total: 1904 calories, 148 carbs, 149 protein, 34 fiber, 101 fats, 22 sugars

Why so high in carbs you say? Breakfast was a broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas and wter chestnuts blend, lunch was a glutenf ree burger bun, hamburger and 5 oz of sweet potato baked, and dinner is another gluten free hamburger bun. I realize that the buns (and the sweet potato) are horrid, I just didn't realize how horrid. Next time (2 buns left) I plan to either make my own buns, use lettuce, or just eat the burger alone. Shame on me for eating like that. I will never lose if my carbs are that high. Oh also, snacks consisted of a Quest bar and 2 cups of protein powder.

Meditation I plan to do in the next 4 minutes, for about 5 minutes. The friend thing...well...I haven't left the house all day, minus my bike ride (w@home day today) so that's a no. 

SO for today:

Eating: -10 points (Int)

Workout: +5 points for the bike ride (Str)

Meditation: +5 for meditation (Wis)

Friendzone: +.1 for smiling and waving at the old lady I saw walking today. (Chr)

Total: 

Int: 0

Str: 15

Wis: 15

Chr: 5.1

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Dragon_Lady said:

Yesterday, I made the mistake of taking my before pictures. Le'ts just say that it hurt. A lot. I have to walk around with people looking at me like that. Here I was, just not even realizing how bad I look (I mean yea, I do, but the severity...Gods the severity...) until then. What. Was. I. Thinking? I should have 100% changed this years ago! I mean, yes, I had been working on it but ...ugh. 

Just imagine how totally awesome your during/after pictures are going to look, though. I'd say you can't start changing sooner than now, but I don't know if you have a time machine or not. 

4 hours ago, Dragon_Lady said:

Friendzone: +.1 for smiling and waving at the old lady I saw walking today. (Chr)

Smiling and waving at someone is totally a socializing win.

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

I love this challenge, especially the finding the BFF goal. It gets harder to find friends as we get older and I think a lot of people will identify with this. 

Looking forward to seeing your dragon rebirth! 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 03/04/2016 at 7:29 PM, Dragon_Lady said:

--Yoda's wisdom for today:

Eat fudge today. Allow for such, rare visit does hmm. Hmm yes. Yes. Tomorrow, feel burn and lift hard. Yesss.

Yoda. So much wisdom in one so small. *sagenod*

And I'm curious about what you class as 'male human stuff'?  *cough cough* Other than the obvious I mean :angel:

Sending vibes of motivation and love to all x

6 hours ago, Tyburn Lil said:

Yoda. So much wisdom in one so small. *sagenod*

And I'm curious about what you class as 'male human stuff'?  *cough cough* Other than the obvious I mean :angel:

Male human stuff classifies as (traditionally): video games, cars, comic books, action movies, martial arts. I know its different now, but as a little black dragon girl growing up in the 80s/90s, I was *weird* and "not dainty" or whatever.

• Like 1

So for today I didn't do very much. I ate 2 hamburgers (37carbs each for the bun) and 6 oz of sweet potato fries for the day. I didn't go to class and do any interracting with people as I realize art teachers have the right to be ...critical... but some days I'm just not in the mood. I do miss the people though. I didn't say anything to anyone when I was at the dr's office either, other than hi to the lady behind the counter. So I'm not taking any points away from that but not adding any.

I didn't meditate today either.

So for today:

Eating: -5 points (Int)

Workout: rest day so 0

Meditation: -5 (didn't meditate)

Friendszone: 0

Total:

Int: -5

Str: 15

Wis: 10

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dragon_Lady said:

Male human stuff classifies as (traditionally): video games, cars, comic books, action movies, martial arts. I know its different now, but as a little black dragon girl growing up in the 80s/90s, I was *weird* and "not dainty" or whatever.

I identify so much with this. Even now my closest rl friends are guys. 

If you ever want to talk about video games, cars and dragons let me know. :)

Still scrolling through your your thread but I'll stop in here and there to cheer you on! The carbs fight is rough but you can do it! 

• Like 2

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

I'm going to drop in for support and "I like guy stuff" camaraderie. Totally in the same boat - I have no IRL female friends other than ones I've met through the internet!

Progress pictures are so tough! I took some about two months ago and I'm still like, ugh - I have so much work to do! But one day you will look back on them and go, holy crap I've come so far. 

FWIW, if you haven't already, check out Spezzy and SpecialSundae on the forums. Both are great examples of lifting to get stronger, not bigger. It's totally possible to continue lifting gains while in ketosis, but will get much more difficult! 

• Like 2

Today was uneventful. Didn't do anything special but I also didn't do anything all that good. I had a lot of depression and ended up eating a lot of carbs. I did workout today though, so thats a plus. Tomorrow, I am forced into going back to class which sucks but class is almost over. I got this month and like 3 days until it's all over and I'm free. May the spirits of the dragons give me the strength I need to get through work and class and stay under 50 carbs. 

Going to leave everything at a zero except for str as I did workout today, despite the pain my legs were in from last time.

Total:

Int: -5

Str: 20

• Like 1

Having grown up with three brothers and no sisters, I can confirm that being traditionally girly can be over-rated sometimes.

I didn't 'get' pink until I was in my mid twenties. 

I still don't 'get' clutch bags. Rant, rant put a s*dding strap on it. 

Hands are for hex keys and bicycle pumps. *Sagenod*

I'm sorry that the depression visited again, here's hoping the weather turns again soon <3

• Like 2

Sending vibes of motivation and love to all x

On 4/7/2016 at 10:28 PM, Dragon_Lady said:

I got this month and like 3 days until it's all over and I'm free. 

I recommend making a paper chain. Ripping off those paper loops and seeing it get shorter day by day can be encouraging. Also, you get to tear stuff up. 

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

I just got back from the doctor. He said everything was "normal" but my cholesterol was a little high. He wants me on Lipitor. I almost told him to eff off and when he fussed at me about my weight (him being a fatty himself) I most assuredly almost told him to eff off. 

So there I was, driving home and contemplating eating nothing but lettuce for the rest of my life when I remembered that I lost a lot of weight when I went ketogenic. I also got really dehydrated and had a lot of loss in electrolytes and almost died. SO I figure I'll do that again, but this time figure out why that happened. I remember being super scared of carbs to the point where I wouldn't eat vegetables due to the carb count. I mostly just ate bacon and eggs. Literally. It was horrid how meticulous I had to be about recording things, but, it seems thats where I need to go. I have so much research to do that I really dont want to do as I already have no time today (and a workout thats going to be super late at night and squeeze in a meditation session, dishes, finishing a stupid painting and ugh) and really really really want a damn cookie :(

I recommend making a paper chain. Ripping off those paper loops and seeing it get shorter day by day can be encouraging. Also, you get to tear stuff up. 

I got an app that counts down but its not as satisfying. I think Ijust might get one of those one day at a time calendars so I can angrily rip the day off, scream that I owned it and then light it on fire with my fire breath.

• Like 2

I balled up a cookie today.

Yesterday I balled up a giant Kit Kat.

A few years ago, I went on a ketogenic lifestyle change. While I was transitioning, I would get really bad urges to eat chocolate things (I didn't know about dark chocolate at the time) and it would be super hard not to have any. I also was (still am) prone to stress eating. So much so that the second I could I would zone out, run somewhere and get something horrible (like a Kit Kat) and devour it before I realized what I was doing. However, I figured out that if I purchased the item and looked at it, I would wake up from my stupor. There I would be, with a $1.25 candy bar in my hand and severe frustration. So what did I do? I put it in my giant dragon claws and squeezed the daylights out of it. I got rid of stress, AND I think I got some serious dopamine out of it because the desire to eat it would be gone. 

Something so drastic and weird you think I would remember.

Fast forward a few years (and 60 pounds) and I find myself going back into a ketogenic lifestyle. Only this time I'm trying desperately to do it right and not kill myself due to electrolyte loss in the process. I also find myself in an incredibly stressful (and damn stupid imo) position at my jobby job. So yesterday I went and got a Kit Kat. I brought it back to my desk, told myself I hated the Kit Kat and started to squeeze it. It became a little game for me, how much could I squeeze this Kit Kat before the bag ripped. Come to find out, I can make powdered Kit Kat right in the bag.

Today, I did perfectly with my under 30g carbs rule. But stress happened. Someone came by and offered me a sugar cookie, and before I knew it, I was touching the soft baked goodness of it in my claws. It took a lot, but I wrapped it up in a napkin, and squeezed it. I squeezed it until my hands shook, then I threw it away. I know, I know, wasting food but that crap isn't real food and I wouldn't want starving kids in Africa to eat that tripe. I'd much rather give them the bunless chicken sandwich I had today with the two pieces of lettuce, pickles and tomatoes. That, cats and kittens, is food.

So +10 to Int today. I think I deserve it.

Also, +10 to Str because I joined a Weight Lifting Foundations class. Me, she who hates being in gyms due to the hot skinny muscled people who frequent it. But I went anyway. I hate to say that I started with 2 5lb weights and 2 8lb weights but I did. I wanted to do more weight but I decided this time I wasn't going to kill myself trying to do things. I was going to slowly ease my way into lifting and have been. So I did great today.

Chr gets a +5 

I'm a little bit of a car nut. I have a Mazdaspeed3 (this sexy beast below...that's actually literally just like mine only I have an Autobot sticker on the side and a "Do or do not, there is no try) sticker on the back)

picture3.jpg 

which is my dream car. It's not any special car really, it couldn't hold its own in a race between it and a Camaro, nor does it have even 6 cylinders in it, but for some reason, that car has held my fascination for years. When I finally was able to get one I was ecstatic. I still am, every time I drive it, and every time I see another speed3. So coming home today they closed off one side of the road which of course means traffic is dumb. I was going to let people get in regardless, (I'm Jedi, it's my way) and lo and behold the guy pulls up next to me in none other than a white Mazdaspeed3. He looks super nerdy (you know how guys just get that look sometimes) and motioned if he would please get in front. I say he motioned please because I read his lips as he said it. So I said, of course back to him. He gets in front and there we were, a regular Mazda3, his speed3 and my speed3 just right behind each other. And anybody else who owns a speed3 is also a car nut (by default) and there we were, keeping with each other while we drove down the road and I had this smile on my face that wouldn't leave if I tried to make it go. So, while it's not a huge win with being social, it's that I felt a slight connection with another car nut that made me happy. 

And you gotta look at the little happy's that you get as it all adds up.

Int: 5

Str: 30

Chr: 10.1

• Like 1

A few years ago, I went on a ketogenic lifestyle change. While I was transitioning, I would get really bad urges to eat chocolate things (I didn't know about dark chocolate at the time) and it would be super hard not to have any. I also was (still am) prone to stress eating. So much so that the second I could I would zone out, run somewhere and get something horrible (like a Kit Kat) and devour it before I realized what I was doing. However, I figured out that if I purchased the item and looked at it, I would wake up from my stupor. There I would be, with a $1.25 candy bar in my hand and severe frustration. So what did I do? I put it in my giant dragon claws and squeezed the daylights out of it. I got rid of stress, AND I think I got some serious dopamine out of it because the desire to eat it would be gone. 

Seriously, this is genius. Make the bad-for-you thing the enemy, get to destroy something, associate candy with acts of destruction rather than snacktime ...  honestly, I would not call this a waste of food, not if it works to keep you focused. It would be more of a waste if you ate it. Way to be a dragon!

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

How goes it, dragon lady?

Love the car, by the way. And the candy crushing. :) 

I'm doing better than I expected. I have LOST 4.5 POUNDS

onfire.gif

(I got so happy I accidentally let out a fireball at some guy's car that was parked nearby. Then I sassy'd away like that. Totally happened)

• Like 3

So MONDAY was a bad day. Bad as in Mother Nature is a B and tore me a new one. So I didn't work out. I did Yoga instead. That Yoga kinda kicked my butt so I'm calling that a workout. I know it wasn't Str, so I'm adding an Agi. I kinda liked it honestly and plan to do it on my off days.

+2 Agi

Today however I did my B workout and it went just fine. I even added some weights to it. So I get a good +3 Str. I have seen this video a lot on the interwebs lately and it motivates me every single time. I really want to be a runner, and the older lady in there makes me want to so bad. I said once I got down to 200 I would start running and I think I might. I say 200 not because it's my magic "I can do anything at this weight!" number, but because it'd be so much easier on my knees not to have 284lbs bouncing up and down on them. Right now I'm biking which is fine and easier on the knees. I just know I have a runner inside that's dying to get out. But anyway..

+3 Str

Yesterday in class we all ended up passing around our cell numbers as we are all good friends in there and it was a huge boost to my fragile ego to find out people actually wanted to talk to me outside of class. I think that's good enough for a

+8 Chr

I don't know if this counts as meditation, but I sat and listened to the birds chirp today. I don't know why but they relax me so much. Just sitting there, listening to them talk away. It felt like heaven to me. So because I haven't really classified it yet, I'm counting it as a +2 Wis.

Oh and my carbs were at 30g for the day. They say anything under 50 will keep you in ketosis, so I'm going with it. 

+2 Int

Not doin too bad so far.

Int: 7

Str: 33

Wis: 12

Chr: 18.1

• Like 1

Yoga absolutely counts as a workout!

To accurately measure ketosis, I highly recommend purchasing urine sticks to measure, particularly starting out. 50g is kind of the "magic number", but everyone is different. There are physical signs that people like to use too, but the sticks are pretty affordable and will be accurate for a long way on your journey. (To be honest, I'm just not a fan of ketosis in general, just be super careful!). If you ever want to talk to someone about dieting and nutrition, please feel free to send me a pm! I'm not a nutritionist, but I have done a ton of research and have regular access to clinical staff.

Do you have access to a pool? Running in a pool is a great way to exercise without creating undue stress on your joints and is pretty fun! 

Yesterday in class we all ended up passing around our cell numbers as we are all good friends in there and it was a huge boost to my fragile ego to find out people actually wanted to talk to me outside of class. I think that's good enough for a

+8 Chr

That's awesome! Definitely something that can give you more confidence. 

The biking definitely won't hurt that runner any as she makes her way to the surface.

Stealthstitcher

So you guys guess what I tried......working out in the morning! I went to bed early last night specifically for the purpose of waking up early and working out before my bf got home. I really enjoyed it. I tried working out in the morning before and it didn't click with me, this time I don't know what changed. Maybe it's because I did set A of the dumbbell workout? No idea. But I may do it again. 

+3 Str

Yoga absolutely counts as a workout!

To accurately measure ketosis, I highly recommend purchasing urine sticks to measure, particularly starting out. 50g is kind of the "magic number", but everyone is different. There are physical signs that people like to use too, but the sticks are pretty affordable and will be accurate for a long way on your journey. (To be honest, I'm just not a fan of ketosis in general, just be super careful!). If you ever want to talk to someone about dieting and nutrition, please feel free to send me a pm! I'm not a nutritionist, but I have done a ton of research and have regular access to clinical staff.

Do you have access to a pool? Running in a pool is a great way to exercise without creating undue stress on your joints and is pretty fun! 

I don't have access to a pool, the ocean yes, but not a pool. I don't have the +Chr to get my jelly into a bathing suit to go into water yet. If I had my own pool I'd do it in a heartbeat. I tried buying urine sticks before but they didn't seem to work for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong at the time. I'm scared of ketosis tbh because of what it did to me before (involving pain, passing out and loss of electrolytes) but I think it was 100% my fault. Plus this time I'm not going to 0 carbs, and I'm actively keeping up with electrolytes. I don't think I'm going to stay on it forever, but I wanted to use it as a kick in the pants to my system.  I think I should be done and slowly adding back carbs until I figure out a sweet spot by the end of the summer.  

• Like 2