[Garjan] Mindful Presence

Last night was rough - got my 7.5 hours sleep according to Fitbit. Amazingly - BF was having a lot of issues sleeping (heartburn or something) then doggy puked at 4am. Fun night.

I'm still doing good with avoiding sugar though. Almost afraid to open that chocolate bar cause I've been doing so well lately.

Planning to go hit up a trail later today once everyone's up, breakfasted and coffee'd. 

Currently watching Max (movie about the kid who gets his brother's war trained Belgian Malinois) with Pupster passed out on couch next to me :)

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

You're prodding buttock!

Not entirely sure what that means, but it made me laugh and brightened up my Monday morning so thanks! 

Had to get up early today. Didn't succeed all that well - according to fitbit if I didn't wake up off and on throughout the night I would've been on track for the 7 hours of sleep. As it is, I had 28 min of "restless" sleep that they take away from my score. Probably too much Fear the Walking dead marathon :/

Still no sugar! Someone in the office has birthday cake though. I'm gonna pretend I'm waiting until after lunch. Then after lunch I'll pretend I had a piece. That should work, right?

Not actually hiking, but we took pupster to the local park. He did not react (bark at anyone) though he was pulling. A lot. Settled down halfway through but the first part of the walk was torture for all of us. I guess it just shows we need to take him out in public more because everything was WAY too interesting. :)

• Like 3

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

You're prodding buttock!

Not entirely sure what that means, but it made me laugh and brightened up my Monday morning so thanks! 

Kicking butt ... politely. 

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Still no sugar! Someone in the office has birthday cake though. I'm gonna pretend I'm waiting until after lunch. Then after lunch I'll pretend I had a piece. That should work, right?

Yeah! That's awesome. Did your tricky strategy work?

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

Ah that makes so much more sense, thank you!

So far the pre-lunch strategy is working. I'll let you know in 5-6 hours how the rest of the day goes. I think the main coworker push is done, now I just need the willpower to resist the cake sitting right outside my office. (Telling myself that it looks stale and not worth it). Very glad I brought almonds to snack on later ;)

• Like 2

Quick update - I successfully resisted the cake!

helps that I was busy and away from the desk most of the afternoon. But also it really wasn't looking all that tempting. Amazing mental progress so far. Now to get to work on that elusive weekday sleeping thing....

• Like 3

Way to fight off the Sugar Beast!  Those mind tricks are excellent.  And sounds like the pup is making progress too!

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Super long ramble ahoy! Scroll all the way down for the TLDR plan :)

Was an idiot and forgot to bring fitbit home last night. Went to bed around 10:30 and woke up around 5:15 though. So say 6.75 hrs sleep. :(

Did a bit of thinking for my struggles with sleeping this challenge. 

Pt 1) Going to bed
- Problem: I eat dinner real late. Like too used to BF working 2nd shift and waiting for him to come home before dinner late. I want to go to bed by 10, but a lot of the time we're just sitting down for dinner around 9-9:30. We take time to play with the pupster and chill before starting dinner prep. I'd say earliest dinner prep starts is 7:30. Sometimes not until 8-8:30. Quick cooking foods - cool. Long cooking foods = really late dinner. 
- Solution: Look at how to make dinner prep faster. Can we pre cut veggies, marinate protein of the day so all it takes is throwing stuff into oven to cook? How do we keep meals interesting? Leftovers are cool, but I would get a lot of push-back recommending we eat the same thing more than 2 days in a row.
- Problem: Browsing the interwebs late into the evening. Last night we watched a tv show we've been following. The 9PM shows are rough cause they are just on the edge of that 10PM bedtime. 

- Solution: For the TV shows just have a cutoff that we need to start watching by 9:30 or it has to wait until next night. Devices I should turn off when my calendar reminder tells me to. This is all just me being diligent and putting the same focus into bedtime as I've been doing to resist sugar.

Pt2: Sleeping through the Night
- Problem:
Less of an issue than bed time, but the restless nights are affecting my score. I've been sleeping poorly due to stress from work / winding myself up on the interwebs (from what I can guess).
- Solution: Figure out triggers of restlessness. Anything I can do to lessen the bedtime worries so I get better night's sleep??

Pt3: Morning Routine
- Problem:
Getting to work later than I'd like. Luckily I have somewhat flexible hours as long as I spend the time and do my work. Benefits of working in manufacturing. The drawbacks are days when I need to come in early because that extra 1-2 hours messes up dog routine. 
- Solution: What do I really need to do in morning vs what am I doing now?

Now: Get up (snooze alarm 15 min+), shower/brush teeth/etc, choose clothes & get dressed, Walk Dog, Feed Dog, Maybe breakfast & coffee (or i bring to work), make lunch for day, drive to work

So what can i eliminate?
- Picking out clothes (can I do this on sunday for the week?)
- Make lunch (can I do on Sunday, or night before)
- Set up coffee (night before)

I really like taking time to eat breakfast and drink coffee at home. Day starts off too slow if I'm scrambling to do it at work. BUT I also spend too much time browsing the interwebs and get distracted/dont leave early enough :(

Sleepy Bat Cave (aka my weekday plan for rest of challenge):
Sundays or Night Before - Clothes, Lunch, Coffee Pot Delay
Mornings - Get up (no snooze!!), Bathroom, Walk (Run T/Th) Dog, Shower, Get dressed, Feed Dog.
Optional (depending on how long the essentials take) - Breakfast/coffee at home while dog eats. Otherwise have stockpile of stuff to grab quickly to bring to work and just go. 

• Like 2

I really like taking time to eat breakfast and drink coffee at home. Day starts off too slow if I'm scrambling to do it at work. BUT I also spend too much time browsing the interwebs and get distracted/dont leave early enough :(

Oh, so true. So hard to make yourself stop doing things and get out the door in the morning. I've tried using a book that has clearly defined chapters and isn't too interesting ... but then sometimes it gets interesting and you read past the start of the next chapter without realizing it ... 

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

Nice work thinking carefully about sleep troubles. I need to consider some of this, too - we also eat dinner really late and usually watch TV while we're eating, so those two things combined are probably...not great.

Looking forward to seeing how things improve for you here!

Thanks! We watch TV while eating dinner too. And we leave the TV on at night, which I know is supposed to be bad but the background noise actually helps me fall asleep. 

(My favorite is when we leave the science or history channels on at night, because all the space/nature/history documentaries make me feel like I'm learning stuff in my sleep)

Oh, so true. So hard to make yourself stop doing things and get out the door in the morning. I've tried using a book that has clearly defined chapters and isn't too interesting ... but then sometimes it gets interesting and you read past the start of the next chapter without realizing it ... 

I have timers set... that I readily ignore. My amount of morning timers are quite insane. Packing lunch the night before actually helped a lot though. Just toss it in a bag and I'm good. 

Also (for me) coffee tastes so much better out of a ceramic mug than my stainless steel travel mug. I almost prefer 1/2 cup of coffee from ceramic than the 2-3 cups the travel mug holds. Something I really enjoy about weekends is just chilling with the pup slowly drinking my coffee and browsing forums / watching birds outside. 

OMG I think the planning worked out for once! Fitbit says 6hr 58 min sleep! I'm gonna call that close enough :P

I did snooze my alarm 15 min but morning routine only took about 1hr so I got to work at the time I wanted to. progress~~

• Like 4

Pt2: Sleeping through the Night
- Problem:
Less of an issue than bed time, but the restless nights are affecting my score. I've been sleeping poorly due to stress from work / winding myself up on the interwebs (from what I can guess).
- Solution: Figure out triggers of restlessness. Anything I can do to lessen the bedtime worries so I get better night's sleep??

I hope it's not a cliche, but one strategy to lessening stress at night is writing out a list of worries or things that you still have to do that might keep you up. Get it on paper and out of your head, then ask yourself honestly if there's anything you can do about those things that night. If the answer is no, then give yourself permission to forget about them until morning. It's not rocket science, but I find it helps when I'm stressing at bedtime. 

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

@Arrowan thanks! Next time I wake with work anxiety in the middle of the night I'll give it a try. Had a rough Friday at work and started stressing over the weekend from not responding to emails then (was troubleshooting an equipment problem and spent no time at my desk and all of the time at the equipment). Took my morning coffee time today to button them up a little and reduce the anxiety. Feeling better now that I've done it.

Doesn't help much that Pupster started limping mid week. I don't want to take him hiking until a few days after he stops limping. Hopefully soon cause I planned a day off for adventures on Friday.

Had a good solo run yesterday, weather was amazing. Only went out for a mile or so (Fitbit was dying and I think it missed tracking) but the run felt great. Had a birthday party afterwards - friend's daughter - and turned down cake (pretty easy when it's exhausted parents surrounded by excited screaming kiddos and you hide next to others who also turn down cake). Weekend sleep is going pretty well too. Just gotta go to the store and prep lunches through Wednesday. 

• Like 2

Quick somewhat official update since we're halfway through the challenge... :D

1) I do not eat sweets

Apart from that cookie on day 2 I have not had any sweets. Including turning down birthday cake on two separate occasions. And an ice cream meet up with friends last night - (which I'm a little bummed about since I haven't seen them in a while, but it was late and we were making dinner anyway so...) Still thinking about sweets more than I'd like but I'm confident that will lessen over time. 

I think what is working for me is the alternate snack choices - sliced veggies w hummus/guac, fruit, trail mix, beef jerky, etc. I'd like to lay off the snacking - especially immediately after I get home from work - but that will be step 2. Just gonna focus on step 1 for now. 

2) Sleep 7+ hours a night

This is the struggle for me this challenge. Posted my plan last week, so far it is going okay. Logically thinking through the struggle and making a night before plan of attack have put me in a better position mentally to tackle this. Now if only I could convince my fitbit to start tracking again - got messed up because I didn't charge soon enough and looks like I missed the whole weekend :/

3) Fenzi Dog Sports Academy

Goal is 5 lessons. So far I have completed 2. Made good progress early on, but struggled with implementing exercise 2. Did some solid work over the weekend in the house and yard. New places will continue to be a struggle but I think I need to get to a point where I am building on the basics and not letting them be a hold-up. Plan to look through lessons 3, 4 and 5 once I get home and plot out how I will complete.

• Like 3

You're doing so great with the no sweets goal! As someone who also struggles with this, I'm very impressed and taking notes. It's not an official goal of mine for now but something I'm always thinking about. 

Hope the pup's limp goes away soon so you can have more adventures! Keep us informed on the dog training progression, I've enjoyed the narratives so far :)

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

Quick somewhat official update since we're halfway through the challenge... :D

Challenge is lookin' good!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

Thanks everyone for your support! I really appreciate it. (what is it about week 3 that posting becomes more difficult to stay on top of??)

So while I need to continue working on excercises 1 and 2, we're gonna move on to #3

FDSA Lecture 3: Manipulating States

So this lecture goes on to talk about dog's natural state of mind - excited, calm, alert, etc. They also discuss how the "natural" state can vary by area. Maybe pup is nice and calm in the house, but alert and ready for squirrel chasing as soon as you bring them outside. A lot of the lessons offered by the FDSA are focused on building skills for competition - obedience, agility, nosework, etc. So their concern is what state of mind the dog is in during training. Over excitement doesn't help, because it interferes with ability to focus on what behaviors you are asking for. Likewise under excitement is not good because the dog isn't engaged in the training, not much fun if they would prefer to take a nap. They also go into how genetics hardwire certain "states". Neighbor's terrier is constantly on rodent alert - it's in her blood. Meanwhile my german shepherd is very focused on "his" humans. On walks he gets very upset if one person lags behind / charges ahead. (And god forbid one of us needs to slip into a restroom to pee).

Key here is recognizing what is natural for the dog, thinking about what states I want to encourage in training situations and being able to influence him into that optimal condition. On a hike he may be free to be a space cadet, but a city/small town adventure I want more of his attention since there is a lot more traffic around. 

1) What is dog's default state? Describe typical physical, mental, emotional state. Are states different in various situations?

So I'm pretty lucky. Pupster is naturally very CALM. In the house he'll lay down where both humans are in view and chew quietly on a toy. Guests coming over brings excitement - but he settles down pretty quick (tho initial jumping needs some improvement). During playtime he get's excited. Physically he'll bounce and slide around in pursuit of the toy we're playing with (often ropes). But he also settles pretty quick on command. 

Outside is another story. Complete space cadet - everything is interesting. He spends most of his time in the yard self entertaining with the One True Ball. He is obsessively focused on that ball in fact. If I take it away and put it somewhere he can see but not get to it, he'll try to find ways to break out and obtain it. Now that the weather is getting nicer I'd like to get him to have a relaxed down-stay in the yard - without obsessively chasing his ball. Requires removing the toys to do so, he is not naturally going to relax if the One True Ball is out. I need to leash him up to keep him calmly next to me. 

On walks we are touch and go - most days he is great, calmly walking next to me with minimal pulling (but lots of sniffing). Drop of a dime he can go on squirrel alert - charging the rodent spies and belatedly (reluctantly) listening to the leave it command. We are actually getting much better at this - it's the other dog walkers that are an issued. Lately he's been the instigator of barking/pulling - another work in progress, better with some dogs than others. The alertness I am ok with, he can notice other dogs. Honestly, he doesn't need to love other dogs. The overstimulation (barking/pulling) is what I want to curb. My goal is to go from "omg other dog, dog dog dog dog dog!" to "hey there's a dog, thats cool" and keep walking. 

Exercise 3 is to build upon the first 2 exercises. Take exercise 2 (wait for dog to notice you then throw party) and turn it into this:

• Wait for dog to notice you
  • Give 1 simple command (sit, lay down, etc)
  • Reward
  • Release dog (tell him he can do his own thing)

This is to begin conditioning that focusing on us gives a chance to work with us (command) and then a reward. The most important thing is the dog needs to focus all on his own. No encouragement from me to initiate. It has to be all him. (aka patient ninja training, laying in wait for eye contact)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your support! I really appreciate it. (what is it about week 3 that posting becomes more difficult to stay on top of??)

He spends most of his time in the yard self entertaining with the One True Ball.

• Release dog (tell him he can do his own thing)

Posting in week 3 IS so much harder!!

"the One True Ball"...I love this :)

Just curious--what is your release command or indicator? I've never gotten serious with dog training (the dogs I've lived with as an adult are/were not actually mine) but I've heard of the idea of letting the dog know it can go about its business, and I never knew how you communicate this. 

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

@Arrowan

Guess week 3 is just that time where the initial enthusiasm wears off and we actually have to work keep doing good things.

Yes - I get lots of laughs from friends but we really do call it that. Throw any of the other balls and he'll just sit and stare like "ok but for real this time". 

This is a good question - really made me think about the (many, many) times I use the release command through the day. We we use the word "free" but "ok" is also pretty common. It was a little while ago but did not take him long at all to catch on to what it meant. I think we taught as the same time as teaching stay.

I use it a lot...

- to release from stay

- to tell him he can go sniff stuff after I have had him heel on walks

-before we walk out the front door (I make him wait so he doesn't charge and drag me out the door)

- etc

So basically in the case of the training exercise, I ask him to sit then reward/praise and then before he breaks his sit I tell him "free" and let him go back to playing. I think he idea behind this is for him to learn that human ends the training session - to discourage "Kay I'm bored of training. Just gonna go sniff that tree now" 

• Like 1

Wrapping up Week 3 on a good note. Had the day off on Friday - I think I got enough sleep (Fitbit died and I left charger at work) since I was WIDE awake at the time my alarms normally start going off.

Got a good 3 hour hike in on one of my favorite trails - left pup home since I planned to go for so long. He knew as soon as the adventure daypack came out, but I made it up to him by taking a small adventure once I came home.

Dessert avoidance is still good. Need to focus a bit more on training and be more prepared with treats.

• Like 2

Sounds like a good week 3! Now for an awesome week 4!

Yes this! Now I just need to stop thinking of "well next challenge I'll focus on xxx" and focus on finishing this challenge out strong.

Finished up Sunday with a workout - short run, a bit of a playground workout (aka attempts at pull-ups w the monkey bars) and finishing up with sprints. Gotta get over the paranoia of being judged by the people in my neighborhood. Maybe going earlier in the morning when not many people are out is better....