[Garjan] Mindful Presence

I'm doing really well with preparing everything the night before (lunch, clothes, magic Mr. Coffee) but the going to bed on time is a struggle.

Sunday night - 6 hrs - Game of Thrones

Monday night - 6.25 hrs - Got home at 9PM and between making/eating dinner and just taking time to myself before bed I didn't put in the effort to go to bed on time. 

Tuesday night - 6 hrs again - IDK I guess I got distracted and stayed up an hour later

Wednesday night - 6.75 hours - closer but still not quite there. 

Bedtime is just a running theme of struggle for me. This challenge, last challenge. I'm shifting my work to an hour earlier through the summer too. Bleh

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Well good job on the meal prep! The sleep struggle...that's tough, especially since you'll be up even earlier during the summer. Just keep plugging away at it. I'm sure you'll get there :)

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

23 hours ago, Arrowan said:

Well good job on the meal prep! The sleep struggle...that's tough, especially since you'll be up even earlier during the summer. Just keep plugging away at it. I'm sure you'll get there :)

Thanks! Sleep was a goal I struggled with last challenge too. I will step down a level and work on things like meal prep that affect bedtime. I'll set up my den and see if that doesn't sort my sleep struggles out on its own. 

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

So I guess the challenge ended yesterday. Here is how I did:

1) Sugar Monster

I KILLED this goal. One cookie on day 2 but otherwise nothing. Had a couple family parties and work birthdays with tempting cakes but you know what? It was much simpler for me to mentally day "I don't eat that" and leave it alone. 

Part of me is afraid that now I'll go straight back to the sugar monster, but i plan to keep the same mindset. Yeah I can have dark chocolate now and then - but not daily. If it's a special occasion sure but not just because it is sitting there or because it was a "rough day". I'm not there yet but I'm beginning to believe I will be.

Next step is to tackle mindless snacking and take a step back with the drinking.

2) Sleep

Real struggle once again. But I did get some clear thinking in for what holds me up and how to fix. Next challenge won't have a sleep goal, but some steps that may end up helping.

3) Doggy training

only 3/5. But I made solid progress on the 3 lessons. Honestly I'd rather do them right than do them quickly. Limping doggy is always a motivation break for me. We are at the point where I'm taking him for X-rays and an orthopedic evaluation next time. Because he's not even 2 yet and we barely take him far afraid we'll break him. At least getting a professional evaluation will tell us how to make it better so we have a chance at real outdoor adventures instead of just a mile long "hike" 

• Like 1

Results:

CHA +5 (And I can go buy some Star Wars movies! BF will be thrilled (not) to be subjected to more endless Star Wars marathons)

CON +0 - Just didn't get there. No CD yet either. Honestly I'll probably just end up buying it anyway. 

WIS +2, STA +1 - 3/5 doggy lessons. This goal is going to be making an appearance until I get through at least this class. 

• Like 1

You did SO good with the Sugar Monster! Congratulations! You are an inspiration :)

For sleep, you're using what you learned to re-tool your goals, so that's great. Made progress with the dog training, too. I agree you should do the lessons right, and not fast for the sake of doing them fast. I really hope you get good news from the vet and that you and your furry pal will be adventuring all over the countryside soon. Thanks for the explanations on the training sessions--those were some informative and well-written excerpts. Looking forward to checking in with you in future challenges!  Good luck!

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Thanks for the support everyone. Definitely a major reason why I was able to kick the sugar monster's butt. And I'm glad to say that I haven't fallen back into the sugar monster's grasp with my first two days off. 

Pupster looks to be doing better - but we're going to force him to take it easy and keep an eye on him this week. Vet visit tentatively scheduled for Friday if he's still limpy.

• Like 1