Teirin - April 2016 - Still Drifting

My last challenge did not go well.  I didn't care about half of my goals.  I think this will go better.

Maintenance goals:

Judo twice per week as much as possible

Stick to budget, track expenditures

Walk 70k + steps per week

Talk a day/evening off per week to spend at home

Get out once/month - probably the tournament in Dieppe on the 24th.

Guitar - three times per week if possible

Sleep

Renew my inhaler prescription and ask for either a third Flovent inhaler or a higher dose.

Get to bed by midnight on work nights and 1 am on weekend nights.

Read or meditate before bed if possible.

Increasing my inhaler use is letting me sleep the night through and I'm generally feeling better.  That isn't always the issue but it's working right now.  Stupid spring.

Do things outside of Work/Judo/Cleaning

Book time off for ECCE, after the Titan Challenge/for my birthday, and a week of visiting family or a staycation.  Whatever works out.

Register a team for the Titan Challenge and hassle the interested to commit.  I'm the worst for committing so this should be fine.

Registered for ECCE - consider a cosplay.  It would make Nax very happy.

Additional training session per week - whatever is fun and will prep me for the challenge.  Possibly running.

Finish some manga/read some books/watch something.  Fiction, non-fiction, frivolous, deep.  Whatever.

Maintain apartment

Do dishes every night except Fridays.

Tidy each night after dishes.

Wash the &%$#ing windows - I even found some tips on making this easier.

The landlords are admittedly not doing a great job of providing notification of viewings.  There is supposed to be 24 hours of notice.  There was 75 min notice once this week, though it was cancelled.  Possibly because one of the neighbours said no.  No idea.  The landlords have taken steps to improve this, the realtor managing the whole thing can now just contact us directly.  Still, I'm working on the assumption that people could pop in and view the place at any time.  Besides, having the dishes done daily is nice.

• Like 5

Zero week:

Work and cleaning largely ate the week, though cleaning through the week meant I had more time off this weekend.  That was nice.

Judo twice per week as much as possible - I let the guys know on Monday that I wouldn't be able to make it for the week. 

Stick to budget, track expenditures - Ok.  budget tracked.  Went over on groceries, though am stocked up for a while.

Walk 70k + steps per week - 68k and I didn't really wear it today.  Close enough.

Talk a day/evening off per week to spend at home - hahahahahahahahaha no.

Get out once/month - Not this week....

Guitar - three times per week if possible - nope.

EDIT:  I did go for a run on Saturday.  Given how long it's been since I last ran, it was a bit pathetic.

Quarter-end was Thursday.  I got to work between 9 and 9:45 all last week- the latter happened more after later nights at the office.  I left work at 6:45 (fine), 8:50, 9:20, 8:30, and 5:45 respectively.  So not awful but Judo wasn't happening.  On the upside, I slept pretty well most nights of the week.  Ate fairly well since I knew it was coming and packed enough each day.

We hit 60 on our main classes last week.  My White Mage is looking coooool.

Media state:

4 eps into Daredevil S2.  Great, though darker at times than I'm overly comfortable with. (group watch night)

Ghost in the Shell: SAC continues to be awesome. (group watch night)

I miss Durarara!! and should read the manga/light novels/whatever it's based on. (group watch night - ended)

Is the Order a Rabbit? and Kinmoza continue to be made of happiness and light. (group watch night)

Dark Matter got a second season.  Must finish watching the first.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - watch more!  First season was awesome.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero looks good from the first ep. (group watch night)

The Lost Village has a lot of potential and looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I like it. (group watch night)

No word on Noragami S3.  At least the manga is ongoing and awesome. (group watch night - ended)

Books:

I should re-read some Tanya Huff and Emma Bull.  I haven't re-read them in ages and I just got ebooks of some of my favourite Emma Bull novels that I got used when I was a teenager.  I wonder how much I didn't pick up on when I was reading them back in those days.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Happiness and light sounds good.  Maybe I'll try one of those when I'm done with Natsume Yujin-Cho.

I might need to do a Miss Fisher challenge some time.  Though I hesitate to imagine what it'd involve.

It's nice to balance out teh other stuff we watch.  Non Non Biyori and Chunibyo were also good series.

Heh.  Climbing in high heels, corrupting youth, bending police departments to your will....

10 hours ago, RES said:

To edit sig...go to account settings, left hand menu the link to edit signature should be there...

and of course I'm following along :) 

Thanks....  It used to be under Edit Profile. 

• Like 1

Yeah, viewing schedules. I've pretty much learned not to trust landlords and to be of an easy temperament when that time comes around. It's the only way to survive.

The challenge looks good. It is important to care about your goals. :D Back when I learned the SMART idea of goals, I used to think of the R as relevant because it needed to be your goal and not someone else's goal for you.

Anyway, here's hoping you rock the month!

What's the Titan Challenge? Nevermind!

Good to see you again. You were sounding kinda burnt out over the last couple months. I hope that the rush at work is done and you can do your own things again.

Having to keep your apartment tidy is a pain and gratifying all at once. Hopefully mostly gratifying. I'll be here to cheer you on as you dominate your goals.

16 hours ago, karinajean said:

I'm having a restless spring where I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the things I need to do. your list of things to do looks very reasonable, healthy, and like things that need doing.

That's what I'm going for.  Granted, I don't have kids or a commute to coordinate around like you do.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, viewing schedules. I've pretty much learned not to trust landlords and to be of an easy temperament when that time comes around. It's the only way to survive.

The challenge looks good. It is important to care about your goals. :D Back when I learned the SMART idea of goals, I used to think of the R as relevant because it needed to be your goal and not someone else's goal for you.

Anyway, here's hoping you rock the month!

What's the Titan Challenge? Nevermind!

I don't so much mind them coming in or short notice, but it only happens when I have slacked off on the dishes, or the kitty litter needs to be changed.  Because life works that way.

Yeah, relevant is something I have trouble with.  I was thinking more about what I think I *should* want instead of what I really want.

Heh.  Yeah.  I'm pretty decided on doing it.  One of my clubmates suggested Team Wechoka-Judoka for the name. We'll go with that.  For others, it's a local 6 km muddy obstacle course.  Sounds like fun.

Edit:  How did I type Judoka wrong?????????

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good to see you again. You were sounding kinda burnt out over the last couple months. I hope that the rush at work is done and you can do your own things again.

Having to keep your apartment tidy is a pain and gratifying all at once. Hopefully mostly gratifying. I'll be here to cheer you on as you dominate your goals.

Maybe some burnout, but also a general lack of goals to work toward.  I'll find new ones.

Thank you!  Dishes are getting done and I do like the place this clean.

• Like 2
On 2016-04-05 at 3:22 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Nice to see you again. I hope you can enjoy this challenge.

Thank you!  I swear I will get into the Rebels and check for newbies this time.

On 2016-04-05 at 11:52 AM, Twilight said:

You're the second person to mention Miss Fisher in as many days. It's a sign.

Hello, also adrift person. Let's do the thing!

It is a really good show.  It is generally quite a fun show with a great cast.  That said, it is a murder mystery series so a certain level of misery is inherrent.  It also does not sugar coat some of the shittier realities of the time and handles them sympathetically.  Stuff like being LGB and I (no T as far as I've seen), unwed pregnancy, interracial marriage, interfaith marriage, fallout from WW1, etc.  Great show.  The clothing is amazing for a bonus.

We shall!

Actual update:

Maintenance - Judo scheduled for tonight and looks fine, walking numbers are good so far.  Time off this week may be dodgy.  No guitar so far.

Sleep - I was up late both nights but slept well once I got to sleep.  Last night was great.  Sunday night was my own fault.  I ate too much ice cream and got an upset stomach.  I don't tolerate a lot of junk food well and know better.  It was GF cookies and cream though.   Last night, I started reading NF and just stayed up too late.  Ooops.  Started reading a Tanya Huff novel before bed a bit. 

Get out more - Working on the Titan team, we need to decide on a starting time before I can register and find some more people for the team.  Further planning and recruiting will happen at Judo.  Should head over to the workout park and play there some.  Will need gloves.  Obstacles will include climbing, horizontal bars, and going up a steep hill with a rope.

ECCE registration is in and Nax and I were talking about hotel arrangements.  I will totally cover the extra to get a room with a small fridge.  That way I can bring real food and just live on my stash for the weekend.  Cuts down on costs too.

I also started looking at good times to visit my parents.  They're rather down these days and a visit might help.  I worry about them a lot. 

Apt Maintenance - working so far.  There are two viewings tomorrow (full notice!) and all I need to do tonight are sweep, dust, daily dishes.  I'll change the kitty litter early too.  I normally completely swap it Wednesday night since it's garbage night.  It gets scooped every morning.  The dishes took 10 min last night!

I made a nice stirfry for dinner last night:  chicken, a bit of bacon, shallots, mushrooms, bok choy, spinach, ginger, pepper, and soya sauce.  More tonight.

Also, am obsessing over smoothie bowls.  So tasty and pretty.  They'll replace a meal with all of those calories.

• Like 2

Probably recruited another teammate at Judo tonight.

The difference between drop Seoi Nage and Seoi Otoshi, because I screwed it up at class tonight and Sensei sent us this link to reinforce his explanation.

The distinction is whether you lift your opponent and then drop to your knees, or drop to your knees and pull them down.

lead_large.png

22 hours ago, Teirin said:

Thank you!  I swear I will get into the Rebels and check for newbies this time.

Don't worry too much about it. I have the feeling not many ambassadors are around at the moment anyway. Somehow things changed this year.

22 hours ago, Teirin said:

Last night, I started reading NF and just stayed up too late.  Ooops.  Started reading a Tanya Huff novel before bed a bit. 

Story of my life. I now try to check nerd fitness before dinner and than try to not look at my phone until the next morning. But I think I need more willpower for that quest.

Smoothie bowls really look delicious.

8 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Don't worry too much about it. I have the feeling not many ambassadors are around at the moment anyway. Somehow things changed this year.

When they made it a 'not-only-newbies' guild it made it tough :( 

Week 1 summary:

Maintenance goals:

• Judo twice per week as much as possible - made it both nights
  • Stick to budget, track expenditures - yes
  • Walk 70k + steps per week - 76k+
  • Talk a day/evening off per week to spend at home - hangout was at my place on Friday so I could be home
  • Get out once/month - probably the tournament in Dieppe on the 24th - registered and committed
  • Guitar - three times per week if possible - no......

Sleep

• Renew my inhaler prescription and ask for either a third Flovent inhaler or a higher dose. - will likely happen in Week 3
  • Get to bed by midnight on work nights and 1 am on weekend nights. - 2/7 nights, one on the weekend.  Not good.
  • Read or meditate before bed if possible. - yes, reading a few pages or so most nights

Do things outside of Work/Judo/Cleaning

• Book time off for ECCE, after the Titan Challenge/for my birthday, and a week of visiting family or a staycation.  Whatever works out.  - no (week 2)
  • Register a team for the Titan Challenge and hassle the interested to commit.  I'm the worst for committing so this should be fine. - gathering teammates and selecting a start time.  6 out of 10 people so far.
  • Registered for ECCE - consider a cosplay.  It would make Nax very happy. - registered, cosplay dubious
  • Additional training session per week - whatever is fun and will prep me for the challenge.  Possibly running. - ran on Saturday.  3.79 km in 25 min.  Am slow but getting back to it.  No sign of knee trouble.
  • Finish some manga/read some books/watch something.  Fiction, non-fiction, frivolous, deep.  Whatever. - re-reading War for the Oaks, watched a concert DVD, and checked out some new anime to watch by myself.  Anime is short so easier to sneak in an episode here and there.

Maintain apartment

• Do dishes every night except Fridays - complete
  • Tidy each night after dishes. - also complete
  • Wash the &%$#ing windows - I even found some tips on making this easier. - not yet

Overall week 1 went really well.  Sleep was good quality but I was getting to bed late.  The only thing I completely missed was guitar and watching the concert DVD has that urge to practice twitching.  Especially since it included a live version of this as a solo. 

Week 2 (so far)

• Time booked off for ECCE and after the Titan challenge/for my birthday.
  • Kettle/pot ordered to facilitate heating food at cons.  Between that and a fridge, I will eat well at ECCE.
  • In bed 2/2 nights so far, though sleep Monday night was quite bad.
  • Monday night game called off because 3/5 of us are sick so evening spent home.

Downside:  I am sick.  It hasn't fully settled in and I am aggressively resting, drinking, and eating well to try to ditch it.  I have begged off Judo tonight as nobody else needs this.  Besides, I got very little sleep last night and am a complete clutz when underslept.

I have a new side goal:  Get my summoner to level 60 in FF.  I'm at 45 now.  We've hit another impass in game and I am once again the weak link.  I can't dodge all of the floor stuff and keep everyone standing.  I was having a particularly clumsy/incompetent day on Sunday and it was awful.  Fortunately, our pickup fourth was a very kind and patient person flagged as a Mentor and willing to stick it out past when we were.  They reassured us that everyone wipes out a lot on that one and provided great advice.  We thanked them and all agree to Vote Abandon as it was just not happening that day.  A few lower level dungeon runs with me as DPS went quite well and that may just work better in the long run.  Having the option would be good at least.

Story of my life. I now try to check nerd fitness before dinner and than try to not look at my phone until the next morning. But I think I need more willpower for that quest.

Smoothie bowls really look delicious.

It seems recruit numbers are down, or a lot of them are going directly to a guild.  That works out just fine.  The Rebel guild used to have up to 400 threads sometimes.  It was a lot to monitor and I think there was a fair bit of burnout.

Yep!  Good plan staying away before bed.

They are!  I made one.  Banana + frozen raspberries plus a bit of milk for the smoothie.  We topped them with a scoop of strawberry meditteranean yogurt or plain greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, and a little chopped dark chocolate.

When they made it a 'not-only-newbies' guild it made it tough :( 

That made it a bit tougher, but I wonder if it made it easier on newbies to have more experienced people in the guild with them? 

That's also true. And I miss the tags.

There's still tags though?

We can still tag our own but I'm not sure about GLs being able to tag people?

Yay for the new teammate at judo!

Have a good weekend!

New teammate from the Judo club for the Titan Challenge :-)  The class has been growing and some of the newbies are staying!  I'm not even the smallest person in the club anymore.  There are 3 or 4 smaller, which makes me very happy.  

Geez, but Judo does have its subtleties, doesn't it?

Anyway, yeah, good luck with the race prep. Gloves and the like are probably going to be handy for you. How is the workout park?

It does.  Sensei was not upset with me over it.  He says he sees Yondans making the same mistake but he's going to make sure that we know the difference :-)

Workout park is pretty great if still rather soggy.  I should get a picture of it sometime.  It's right on my prefered running circuit as well, so I can stop there for a few things and then continue.

That made it a bit tougher, but I wonder if it made it easier on newbies to have more experienced people in the guild with them? 

Interacting with other newbies on my first challenge was not fun.  Milling around with no one knowing what they're doing, and all your peers being as green as you are... not a good recipe for learning, IMO, and nothing easily visible to aspire to.

• Like 1

Interacting with other newbies on my first challenge was not fun.  Milling around with no one knowing what they're doing, and all your peers being as green as you are... not a good recipe for learning, IMO, and nothing easily visible to aspire to.

I was wondering if that was the case.  Sometimes when the Recruit/Rebel section got really big it reminded me a little of Escape From New York.  It was too large to manage effectively and had some wild ideas about what people needed to commit to for changes running around despite the best efforts of Spezzy, Blaidd, and the ambassadors.  I have no idea how Blaidd checked in on so many people so often.

• Like 1

Having our accountabilabuddy group the first challenge made all the difference for me. I don't think anyone from outside the team followed my thread. I got one suggestion on improving my goals from a GM at the beginning, and that was it. Things got better once we got to our second challenge and joined guilds.

I hope you get over being sick soon and can enjoy all the things you have planned.

Hey, take good care of yourself and get better soon. Nerdist recently published a list of new anime to watch, and there are some new good things, like a series from the Attack of The Titans people. =D

I think there's a judo dojo nearby my new home. I need to check it out =D

• Like 1