Arrowan's Sixth Challenge: Whistles and Bells

Arrowan

So the interview on Thursday went well, but I really have no idea how I rank among the other candidates. Hopefully I'll hear back soon...although I may have some difficult decisions to make in the near future. I'm ready for change and yet....terrified of it. 

I'm kind of packing in the exercise sessions toward the end of this week, but I'm on track to meet my goal. I did a run on Tuesday, a run AND and workout on Thursday, and then I did another workout this morning. It wasn't easy to find motivation this morning, but I just thought about how much I wanted to meet my challenge goal, and I knew I wouldn't have time later in the day because of work. So I just put on my "hard hat" and got it done. As long as I get a run in tomorrow and another workout on Sunday, I'll be on track. 

Slacking on the salamanders studies, but I still have two days, and salamanders are my specialty anyway. I'll just be brushing up a bit. 

Still need to get in another job app this week. 

Calorie tracking is going well. Went over my daily goal by 22 yesterday, but today I have 68 to spare :)

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

Hey, you're doing great! :D Change is both exciting and terrifying. Take it with arms wide open when it comes for you, wrap your arms around that terror and hang on for dear life. There's always something interesting waiting when you take that ride!

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Hey, you're doing great! :D Change is both exciting and terrifying. Take it with arms wide open when it comes for you, wrap your arms around that terror and hang on for dear life. There's always something interesting waiting when you take that ride!

So true, and thanks for the encouragement! Every bit helps. 

I keep a power point of pictures and quotes that motivate me, and one is from a weekend in college when I went with the women's ultimate team from a nearby college (we had a mixed team at my school, and the other school's team was hurting for female players) to a women's tournament in New Hampshire. I was nervous about accepting the invitation--the other girls were better players than me, most were older and seemed much cooler, and I was unused to going away for days at a time with people I hardly knew...but I said yes and had an amazing time. The quote with that picture: "The correct answer is, 'I'm in!'"

I try to recall times like that when I need courage to embrace the unknown. Your words help all the more :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for a Week 2 rundown: 

1). Physical training: I accomplished my 3 runs but only did 2 workouts. I hope to do a "make-up" workout at some point, but I'm not going to get too focused on that because I don't want to feel like I fell behind and can't catch up. 

2). Calorie tracking: Yes. Every day. Although I'm taking in more calories than I'd like on most days, my weekly net calories were better this week than last week. Saturday's net was -481 (easily the worst day of the week, calorie-wise), and Sunday's was -115. 

3). Herp study: Salamander study went great! Felt good to brush up on my favorite group of herps.

4). Job search: Fell pretty short on this one. I did have an interview this past week, which I think is fair to substitute for an application, but I didn't get any new apps out. I checked the job boards most days, but didn't find anything promising enough to get me to apply. I have to step up my game here. 

Side Quest: Presentations--Salamander powerpoint completed! Even went through it with a friend who was kind enough to muster up some interest and ask questions.  

Week 3 looks promising. Yesterday I had 107 calories to spare, and I spent more time reading up on salamanders. This morning I got up early and ran a mile to this spot in the woods on a public trail with a picturesque little waterfall. There I did a body-weight routine--it was novel enough for me to do this outside, but even more so because there was a light rain and the ground was quite cold and wet (something I forgot to consider until I was already on my way there). So I got a little dirty and wet but that made it kind of fun and made me feel kind of tough. And then I ran the mile back to the house. Now I'm finishing the day with another 100 calories to spare. 

So I need to step up the job hunt and focus on turtles this week! Good luck to all as the challenge wears on!

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

Week 3 looks promising. Yesterday I had 107 calories to spare, and I spent more time reading up on salamanders. This morning I got up early and ran a mile to this spot in the woods on a public trail with a picturesque little waterfall. There I did a body-weight routine--it was novel enough for me to do this outside, but even more so because there was a light rain and the ground was quite cold and wet (something I forgot to consider until I was already on my way there). So I got a little dirty and wet but that made it kind of fun and made me feel kind of tough.

Sounds like a perfect workout location! I love working out outside, some of my favorite runs are on rainy days. You're waterfall location definitely tops any scenery I have around me. 

Enjoy your turtle studies!

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

This morning I got up early and ran a mile to this spot in the woods on a public trail with a picturesque little waterfall. There I did a body-weight routine--it was novel enough for me to do this outside, but even more so because there was a light rain and the ground was quite cold and wet (something I forgot to consider until I was already on my way there). So I got a little dirty and wet but that made it kind of fun and made me feel kind of tough.

Oh, nice! You are tough!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Okay, I'm overdue for an update. I've been putting it off because...shame. 

Week 3 wasn't ALL bad...

Physical training: All 3 runs completed (average mile time just slightly better than in week 2); completed just 2 out of 3 planned workouts. Majorly disappointed in myself for this. I usually go to the gym with a friend, but she's had a cold and hasn't been going much, so guess what? Me neither. No excuse. I can do it at home too, I've just fallen out of the habit. 

Tracking calories: I have continued to track calories every day, and for 4 out of 7 days in week 3 I was within my calorie budget, BUT on the 3 days I went over, I went over by quite a lot (400-600 calories). It's the sweets, no question about that. I just give in to my desire for ice cream or chocolate, especially late at night. 

Herp study: I really neglected this in week 3. I LOVE turtles, but just didn't take the time to go over them. So I have some catching up to do in this last week because I WILL NOT skip turtles.

Job applications: I actually met this goal and submitted 2 applications for this week. They are both jobs I would be very happy to get. 

Side Quest: See herp study. I started a turtle presentation but didn't get too far with it. So that will go along with catching up on turtle studies. 

Had a family visit on Thursday that was good in some respects but also incredibly stressful in others. I'm sorry to say I let it affect my motivation. If I'm honest, there's plenty of time to finish strong and still make this a great challenge. I need to stop making excuses for myself and just get things done--and also remember that any progress, however imperfect, is better than none. I find myself reasoning that it's not worth it to suit up for a run or workout because I wouldn't have time for a good one...but that's just foolishness. I need to work on my goals at every opportunity, no matter how minor it may seem.

Week 4 is already underway. I tracked calories yesterday (went over by 475, which isn't great but important to admit). Nothing else to report. I feel like with this post I can put the bad behind me and focus on making this last week really great. Here goes!

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

Can we call week 3 hump week? At least the hard stuff is behind us, and Week 4 is just that one last push to finish. (Any fun turtle facts for us that you'd like to share??)

Deserts are evil. Enough said.

Regarding motivation to run/workout on 'off' days - I've found that when I force myself to do the quick "just get it done" workouts I get more out of it than on days where I have all the time in the world. Because on the days I'm tight on time, I fool around less and just focus. Or I do HIIT type workouts that kick my butt with very little time needed.

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Thanks, @Garjan. Week 3 is definitely hump week :)

Yes, quick workouts can be more focused and intense. I have to keep that in mind when considering whether to squeeze in a session or not. 

Making progress in week 4. I've done one workout and one run, tracked calories and studied turtles. I went over my calorie goal by about 400 yesterday, but only by 23 today. Big improvement in light of recent binges. 

Your fun turtle fact for the day: The musk turtle (Sternotherus odoratus) has a very small plastron (the shell on its underside), which allows for a greater range of motion for its limbs compared to most turtles; this gives it a fair climbing ability, and musk turtles are occasionally found as high as 6 feet in trees overhanging wetlands. (and yes, musk turtles are named so because they stink!) :)

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

That's awesome! I had no clue that some turtles are able to climb trees and stuff. Learn new things every day...

How did week 4 treat you in general?

• Like 1

Okay, challenge officially over. Time for assessment. Here's the overview:

Goal:                                                     Successful days/Pts:                 Grade/Result

1. Physical training             12 runs + 10 workouts = 22/24 sessions           B

2. Calorie tracking                                           28/28 days                                A

3. Herp ID and anuran call                          test pending                          incomplete

4. Job search                                       6/8 applications or interviews             B

Side Quest: 3 out of 4 presentations completed and rehearsed

Weeks 3 and 4 were definitely tougher for me than weeks 1 and 2. I missed one body-weight workout in each of the final two weeks. Overall, though, I'd say I did well sticking to the physical training goal. I managed to increase difficulty in a few of the exercises, including knee push-up reps, number of jumping jacks, and burpee reps. Running went well. I pretty much did about 2 miles each day, and got my average mile time down to about 8.5 minutes. Things I can do to improve here are finding a regular time for workouts and runs, rather than fitting them in willy-nilly, so they'll be habits that take less will power; I also want to try interval running to change things up. 

Calorie tracking was relatively easy to keep up with--sticking to daily goals on MyFitnessPal was a lot harder. I was careful not to make calorie restriction an official part of my challenge, but tried to post my net calories, just to give myself accountability. Having to post those numbers was a major motivator for me (for the last 3 days of the challenge, I had calories to spare: +396, +17, and +18, respectively). I still went over my calorie goal on a lot of days, but was under on 13 days of the challenge. That's a huge improvement for me from recent months, so I think I'm onto something here. 

Herp study was fun when I took the time to do it. I re-learned a lot of things I'd forgotten. However, I could have spent a lot more time on this, too. Again, finding a regular time to do this would be ideal. I still have to test myself to determine a grade for this--my friend is going to help me with an ID test, so I'll add a post when I have a result. 

The job search was okay but I could have done better. During the course of the challenge I submitted 4 new applications and underwent 2 interviews. Unfortunately, none of these have thus far resulted in me actually getting a new job, so even though I got a B for this goal, I kind of feel like a failure in this department. I definitely have to keep at it, but the rejection is pretty bad for morale. Luckily, I have a whole army of nerd rebels to inspire me to level up, so I know I'll win the day in the end :)

The side quest was fun--making those PowerPoint presentations for herp ID was helpful in re-learning about the critters and also got me back into naturalist/outreach mode. I didn't complete the snake presentation in time to count for this challenge, but I still plan to do it this week. Next step is to get out there and interact with folks at nature centers and such, volunteer and network and maybe worm my way into a job somewhere. 

I'm giving myself 11 attribute points for my accomplishments this challenge, allocated as shown:

Starting Attributes:

STR 9/DEX 6/STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

Ending Attributes:

STR 10/DEX 7/STA 16/CON 10/WIS 20/CHA 9

Now it's time to formulate the next challenge--onward and upward! Thanks to everyone who checked in with me, gave advice, and cheered me on. It makes all the difference in the world. See you next time! 

• Like 1

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4