• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hyperion

Monk Introductory Thread!

I think I need a bit more time before I try group class! The very mention of high-pressure and ugly martial arts practice sends my blood pressure soaring!

Hey everybody, new member here.

I've been doing martial arts on and off for about 3 years.  My school's main focus is Siu-Lum Hung Kuen (Hung-Ga Kung Fu), though we also practice some kickboxing and grappling as it applies to more real world self defense situations. I'm currently on my yellow sash (Second level, third if you include introductory students) and am really trying to get back into a regular routine of going to class and advance myself.  I've had issues in the past of missing classes, and those absences chaining together so that I'm suddenly realizing I haven't attended a class in over a month, which is the main thing I'm focusing on correcting right now.  As anyone who takes martial arts classes can attest, those long periods of absence stunt your growth, and make it that much harder when you try to return to class, only to realize you're flexibility and conditioning are all gone lol.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and exchanging some training ideas and knowledge.

-AJ

• Like 1

Just realized Ibe been in the community like a year and never introduced myself, oops... 

Well hello fellow monks, when I was younger I had a rather active outdoorsy lifestyle, in boy scouts, running around my grandparents forests (both sets lived in the woods it was great) and my brother and I would beat on each other with sticks in a misguided attempt at "kendo" it was not real kendo whatsoever, but what did two country kids know, anyhoo. I really didn't get into physical culture until high school when I started going to the gym, I wasn't too sure what to do or why I was there, maybe I thought of I put on some muscle I'd be more confident and the sports kids wouldn't mess with me. After two years of spastic, and undisciplined workouts I found martial arts. It was actually an anime that I found that convinced me that just regular people do martial arts, not just Bruce Lee, or Mr. Miagi type masters, but average Joe's and Jane's can too. So I dove into the Google and found as much info as I could on home training, it was a little rough those early times, just my brother and I making close approximations of Muay Thai and Savate, but we made it work. After I graduated high school, we trained like mad that summer with a friend whof had actual training in hung gar Kung fu. These made a decent foundation for when I went to college and found my taekwondo master. 3.5 years, gallons of sweat, and hours upon hours of training both in classes and alone( or with a partner). I got my first Dan in taekwondo through the world taekwondo federation. I'm still training with that master too, at least until may when I graduate and have to move away. 

Besides taekwondo, this pervious summer (2017) I went to train in hung gar Kung fu with the sifu of the friend who helped with my foundational training. That added a nice new perspective on balance and power development. It was really hard not to kick high, but adaptation is important and I eventually got it. After school I'm planning on training wherever I can. My tkd grandmaster (my master's master) has a school near my home so I might go there. 

Wicked thread idea.  

I began studying a mixed variation of Okinawan Karate while growing up in Okinawa.  For the briefest stint as a teen, I attempted to learn Shotokan before some health issues took over.  Eventually, I got bored, and came back martial arts to study Ho Kuk Mu Sul (think Kuk Sul Won style, including Hapkido techniques) and a tiny bit of Yang-style Taichi. I then branched off into American TKD Moo Duk Kwan, kickboxing, and boxing.

At this point, I'm leaving heavily toward starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It's totally outside of my comfort zone.  Always open to suggestions, too!

Kudos on your journeys!

Hi, 

I live in California with my wife. I'm a production assistant and lover of martial arts. My favorite thing to do is leg lock people.

I began martial arts when I was five years old with Shotokan out of my parents' garage. My dad holds a black belt and taught my older sister and I a few things. My first formal training was with Aikido at a youth center when I was seven. When I was eleven, I got suckered into a total McDojo Koga Ninjutsu program at that same youth center. When I was 15, I did WTF Tae Kwon Do. I did that for maybe five years. Then I did a few months of Wado-Ryu Karate when I was 25.  I joined a MMA gym learning Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu a year later.  I had a few setbacks, but I've pretty much stuck with that ever since with a much heavier influence on Jiu-Jitsu than Muay Thai now. 

Hi!

I don't have much of a story yet; I've only been a martial arts practitioner for about three weeks.

I've always been attracted by martial arts, and I did two belts' worth of TKD when I was about 7. After college, I learned about MMA and Muay Thai, and have been wanting to try one of them for years. I moved out to Chicago, about two or three years ago, and one of my coworkers told me that there was an MMA gym, about 20 minutes from where I work. I'm 29 now, and, I've finally buckled down and started Muay Thai classes. The classes are pretty small format, so I get to have close contact with my coach and sparring mates. I've found that I like taking hits, so far! It builds up my adrenaline, gets my blood pumping, and makes me want to keep coming back.

I'm so excited to have started, and I don't think this is going to be a short term commitment. I just hope I'm not too old to get to a point where I feel good enough at the sport!

• Like 1

Hi Angor, never too late! I started 3 years ago and turn 40 in July, it's the best thing I've ever done - even with injuries and all sorts, I love it. Just go at your own pace and compare progress with yourself, not with other people who have different bodies and commitments :-)

Have fun!

~A

• Thanks 1