Discipline compass: 3x a week & nothing else

Intro: I depend on exercise for good mental health. I learned this a couple of years ago and developed quite a healthy lifestyle, in which I've been thriving. I made exercise an absolute priority for some time, but life changes, and I'm facing a bigger challenge now -- graduating form Law school (last year!) -- and I had to channel time & money resources into that goal. So I had to give up my gym membership and my instructor, and with it went my gym routine, which guaranteed the discipline to attend workouts.

I have a gym at home, in the apartment building I live in, which I share with other residents. It's good enough and I can work out there, I have. But doing it on your own... it's so damn hard, isn't it?

So I struggled with the planning a little but now I found a plan which I'm confident I can follow. I found three spots in my schedule in which I can hit the gym: Tuesday evening, Friday afternoon and Sunday whichever time (I'm yet to find to right moment to workout then, but I will set one). Twice for strength and once for conditioning.

Goal: Workout three times a week, at the previously set times.

Reward: For each week I get the goal right, I get to post a gif of someone doing a victory dance :D .

No more goals? No. I have too much going on to make goals out of everything. Each week, something has to give and usually does. The whole point here is making sure it's not my workout, lest I can't keep the sanity to carry on this madness of a life which is graduating Law school away from home.

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Congratulations on your getting closer to your law degree! That's really awesome and super impressive.  Sometimes we only need to focus on one goal and that helps everything else fall into place, so don't feel bad about only having one goal.  I don't have a whole lot going on in my life like you do at this point so i'm going to set myself up for a few goals.    Good luck, just keep to your schedule as best you can and i'm sure you'll do great!

• Like 1

Orc Ranger

STR: 3 DEX: 1 STA: 2

CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 2

All major changes are like death. You can't see what is on the other side until you get there.

Immortal Power, Plug it in

Current challenge:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34450-training-for-the-fights/

I need extra motivation. Maybe you do too? So here's people who always do the job:

1. Holly Hom

mh_interna_holly-holm-campea-ufc.jpg

Maybe you prefer Ronda Rousey or whoever is holding the Batanweight title right now, but I love Holly Holm beacuse she was prepared. When she went against Rousey, she took on a gigantic challenge she had no reason to believe - nor did enybody else - she could conquer. Still she did the best she could to prepare and when she found Rousey a bit off her game for whatever reason, she was able to take that opportunity. Holm blew my mind that day. She beat Ronda Rowdy Rousey!! and nobody will ever be able to take that form her! I worship Rousey, but that's only the more reason I count Holm as my #1 motivator always, on anything.

2. Bruce Lee

MTM0Njc4MzEzMzEzNTYyNTk0.jpg

Kung Fu is always improving your skills.

3. Rocky Balboa

rockyquote2.png

And his priceless life lessons. If that character didn't existed, it would have to be invented. Hes serves an important role for humanity in general :)

Okay let's go do it!

• Like 1

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

What a flop!

Not one workout last week. The day I posted the motivational thingies, I did get as far as going to the gym, but I was kicked out because 2-3 pm. is cleaning time and residents are not supposed to use the gym at that time. I didn't know that. By the time 3 pm. came around, I was already having lunch (I don't have time to have lunch, digest it and then go to the gym, I can only have lunch afterwards) and getting ready for school. (I should better leave the house before 5 pm. to avoid mind boggling traffic at 34 degrees C (93 F).)

Tuesday night I felt completely tired, and Sunday I was caught up in studying. I had a good session going on, didn't feel like breaking it up. You know, just sitting down on my ass, sipping coffee, reading Law... I would have needed to get dressed, get fed, go downstairs, work out, go back up, shower and then go back to the books... not likely. I took advantage of the inertia.

I'm trying again this week, but I'm coming to the conclusion maybe I can't exercise alone and I should better find a solution in which I can work out in a gym, with instructors and equipment and peers. maybe I can find one near my university...?

So everything changed.

Which is a good thing. When things are going badly, instead of insisting on something that just isn't working, change is a great thing!

What happened is I found, quite by chance, a new gym that fits my insane schedule and my skinny budget. It's not strength tho, it's martial arts. But I'm so happy! It's really close to home, great atmosphere, and I get the incentive I needed to keep to an exercise schedule. It's not ideal, because it just may be that the mental benefits of strength training don't transfer (guess I'm about to find out), and also because martial arts require some strength training at the same time... doesn't it? But still, it may just give me the incentive I needed to strength train by myself on weekends.

This gym offers boxing, jiu jitsu, muay thai, and wrestling, which is rare in my country. It's run by a local semi-star of Muay Thai who is... a girl, which is awesome. And it's called "Rocky Gym", so, good vibes :love_heart:

I had the choose the modality based on my available time, and so I picked Muay Thai, which had the most hours offered. Given a choice, I might have gone for jiu jitsu of wrestling... I guess I would have liked to be nice and close to my opponents :)

It is my first attempt ever at any martial art, and I'm very excited about it. I've barely learned how to throw a jab and I already feel like going out on the streets with my underwear outside of my pants to fight crime, you know what I mean? I feel really bad ass. :D

So the finding of this place happened on Tuesday, which was also my first class, and then I went back yesterday, Wednesday. That makes two workouts this week already. Today I won't have the time, since I had class this morning and have some more in the evening, at school. But tomorrow I intend to go in for the 7 am class, before work. So it's looking like I might just make the challenge this week...! Hooray!

End of second week, third workout done, challenge accomplished. What a week! What a life!

I think it's appropriate do begin with Holm's "victory dance" (or "this is what happen when a christian white girl tries to do the Macarena") :D  :applouse:

StMr9SC.gif

Passing through to report on last week. There was a national holiday, last week, and so all my professors thought is would be a good idea to assign papers due today, so I didn't have much time to write anything else but law blablabla.

But here it goes now: HOW DID WEEK THREE GO?

Monday was good and I got my workout done in the morning before work as usual. But later on I started feeling bad and an annoying cold settled. It was nothing major but it did get me indisposed, I was in no shape to be doing 10 burpees after 3-minute rounds of punching & kicking. So I missed the workout on Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday it was the holiday, and then Friday... on Friday I woke up early, feeling super well, but when I looked out the window, there was such a storm coming down, there was no way I could bike to the gym. I even lost work that day!

Saturday though I went to the condo's gym and got a strength workout done. Nothing fancy, just pushups, rows, squats, and lunges, a few abs, and I was done. I also tried a new variation of the glute bridge, which got my butt sore till today. Good times.

So, goal wasn't achieved, but it wasn't all lost. Two outta three and a great save at the end too!

This week it will be better!

No victory dance yet. The muay thai coach decided to have a "different workout" this morning and called everyone, form the 6 am. and from the 7 am. classes, to be on the beach at six.

First, I hate the beach. I live in a third world city by the sea with other 4 MILLION people where part of my job is to know the conditions of water sanitation. Plus, I hate the beach in the early morning, when ALL people on this part of the city go there to "exercise", flashing around mall-bought shiny gear to do the very little whatever they do. I hate the burgeois, I do.

Second, it's hard enough for me to be up at six to be able to eat a full hour before working out in order to avoid reactive hypoglycemia, I would have to be up at five to be there at six. When I didn't even want to be there.

Third, it was raining!

I mean, come on!

So I'll be doing a strength workout by myself later today or maybe tomorrow. Then I'll come back for my victory dance. *shakes the tailfeather*

Alright! Week four was a win, despite my aversion for the beach, with two muay thai practices on the previously set times, and a strength save at the end!

This challenge was definitely a pass!! Hooray!

Here's a nerdy victory dance specially for you guys :eagerness:

latest?cb=20140525015607