Pavowski needs to do SOMETHING

Pavowski

*opens the shed doors*

*watches the dust motes spin up into the air*

*coughs and goes for a leaf blower*

Epitaph Records smoke blow music art

Man, it's been a minute since I poked my head in here. I guess it's no great surprise. I should have seen it coming. When soccer season rolls around, my eight-hour days turn into twelve- or even fifteen-hour days, which really saps my resolve to run and work out, let alone to nerd around on a forum talking about my running and working out (or rather, my lack of running and working out).

But soccer season is just about over, and it's time to get back on the scooter. Or horse. Or wagon. Or something.

Workouts have gotten away from me. Regular runs have gotten away from me. Diet has gotten away from me. It's time to do something to rein in all this slipping and sliding all over the place. So this re-initiation challenge is about doing something, anything, to re-establish positive momentum and get moving in the right direction instead of just sliding in whatever direction I happen to be going.

snow ice dog sliding slipping

So the goals are simple.

1. Run. I'd like to get back in the habit of going 4x weekly, but I will settle for three this time, with the caveat that I need to be running at least ten miles weekly. Maybe start the challenge at 3x and move up to 4x by the end. Soccer season is over in just a couple weeks. That should be doable. (Can you tell I'm making this up off the top of my head?)

2. Strength. I've really slacked here, and I'm not happy about it. I'm going to stay focused on just simple stuff for now -- that means completing the beginner's body weight workout 2x a week. I can easily do more than that, or modify the routine as needed, but I want those strength workouts. Push-ups, pull-ups, and squats at a bare minimum at each workout.

3. Batch Prep. I've recently learned about the joys of batch-prepping meals that don't suck, which is really a must when you're a teacher. So: 1 batch prep meal for every week of the challenge, to the tune of at least 4 meals spread out during the week. The catch? I can't make the same thing over and over. I have to modify at least one component every week. That should keep me from boring myself to death.

Simple goals as stepping stones to get fancier next month. Yeah.

Time to get to work.

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Started off yesterday with a gorgeous run out at Sweetwater Creek State Park here just outside of Atlanta. Absolutely beautiful trails that I don't visit nearly enough, and I had it all to myself at 7 on a Monday morning.

20160404_083206.jpg?w=490

Even ran a half mile of it barefoot!

20160404_083402.jpg?w=490

PSA: it's really tough to take a picture of the underside of your feet without a selfie stick. I'll go out on a limb and say it's impossible without also giving a wide view of your crotch.

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

In workouts this week: 150 push-ups, 120 squats, about 50 pull-ups, and a bunch of bear-crawls.

It burns.

movies music loop fire robot

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Slow start this week, but I'm getting runs and I'm having lunches of freaking awesome batch-prepped pork, sweet potatoes, and carrots.

Also got a call about a new job, for which I interview tomorrow. Could be exciting. Good day to get some burpees on my lunch break, maybe; get the blood flowing.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Good luck with the interview!

Thanks. I got it, in fact. Fastest I've EVER gotten a job (from application to hired in about five days, lol.) 

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Technically, August. In practice, I've already started. (I'm a teacher, so there's new curriculum to plan...)

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Man, why do I find it so hard to post regularly around here?

It's a good week for the challenge. Batch-prep meals are pulled pork with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and zucchini.

Two runs already this week with a long run (5 mi or so) on tap for the weekend. (Snuck a barefoot mile into both of my runs, too, bonus points!)

And I've already gotten my body weight workouts for the week. Trying out side-to-side push-ups (and I can sum them up in one word ... ouch) and Bulgarian split squats (with the rear leg elevated on a chair ... also ouch).

For a guy who always has tons to say, I really don't have much to say. Just keep swimming...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Ugh, testing is in full effect in school. I made it through the entire workday without even realizing I forgot to get my strength work in today. Crap...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Man, is it the last day of the challenge already?

I wasn't even thinking about it that way, but I did get in a body weight workout while I had my kids at the playground today. Rounded it off with pull-ups on the bar when I got home, so ... yay.

Going back and checking my Garmin connect, it turns out that I hit ... exactly my goal of 3 runs per week. If the challenge continued tomorrow, I'd have a 4-run week this week, but alas. 3 per week is not bad, but I can do better. Still, I'm getting that weekend long run back in action, so that's nice.

And ... I didn't exactly log my body weight workouts, but I feel pretty damn sure that I got done at least 2, if not 3, every week. Feels good to be trying out new push-up variations (side-to-sides, one hand elevated) and squat variations (shrimp squat ... holy hell am I unbalanced on the right leg), and pull-ups still make me feel pretty BA.

Food was good. Excellent, even. Sweet potatoes are so much better than I anticipated, even having them almost every day, and the pulled pork I've been having is as good as anything I've had in a restaurant.

All in all, a successful challenge!

excited driving pumped feeling it movies

Now, if only I knew how to score these under the new system...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!