• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thom Stépan

Thom changes tactics to beat that effing troll

All this year I have been working at trying to kill a troll. Three challenges I have been able to wound the beast but not defeat it outright. In my last challenge I was the one that came off second best. During chocfest the troll fired up a couple of depressive episodes for me. What I have been doing whilst good, has not been good enough. I need to change things up a bit in order to defeat my first troll.

First what I am keeping. The broadsword work stays. Those who follow my battlelog will know that the other night a impromptu cateran broadsword session helped me fight off the worst effects of a depressive episode. Besides this is still part of my epic quest. I need to keep focussed on this.

I will also be keeping my meditation sessions going. This feeds directly into my soul and spirituality.

What I am ditching; the sugar goal. Tracking with MFP means all sugar is totalled not just added sugar. So fruit and dairy went to my goal and often exceeded it. These are natural sugars, not added. So as long I keep wary of what I eat I will be fine.

I am adapting my exercising and doing stuff goal.

Let's start with the bleeding obvious, I am a full time Dad. For those who are new, I have six kids. Five of whom are traumatised, that trauma is now coming out. We expected this to occur as our family moved from survival mode into recovery and growth mode. My Bec has short bowel syndrome and is Celiac. I am a long term black dog fighter (depression) I am winning more than losing. We are part of the working poor. These are limiting factors to my life.

But they are NOT the only factors of my life. I am a Heathen, I am somewhat intelligent (though unqualified), I am more stubborn than a mule, we are loved by our families and close friends. I get up and try again after falling down. I have successfully respawned here on NF after more than six months away. I have the support of many awesome people here on NF. I have successfully lost 18+kilograms in the last three years. Some time in the next 2 years Bec and I will get married.

How does this relate to my goals? Simple I need to understand that with all this stuff in my life that anything I do to improve my health is better than nothing. That efforts towards improving my family's quality of life is worth pursuing and to focus on the one percent improvement.

So I need an exercise goal, simply any workout even a short one is better than nothing. Stretching, cardio, yoga, walking, bodyweight, sledgehammer, Hiit, kettlebells, dumbbells basically anything goes. Sessions of a minimum of 1 set of working reps (yoga and stretching is thirty second hold). Where possible aim for at least a ten minute routine (particularly for yoga/stretching) to get best benefits. Hopefully I will get at least one session in per day.

Getting stuff done, this is more than just my normal everyday housework stuff, cooking and laundry. I can improve things by working more in the garden, whether maintaining lawns, weeding garden beds or planting veggies. There are odd jobs that could be done around the house like putting up some shelves (have to buy first), organising stuff better, re-stumping the house. Doing stuff with the kids, I have that D&D campaign still to get going, kick the soccer ball around with them, have them help me with the garden (even though it doubles my workload), take them out somewhere (even the park). Also just plain old appreciate my kids. It is easy to get caught up in the irritating things they do (particularly with that Black Dog and his trolls whispering in my head). I need to remember the love, hugs and cool stuff as well.

Do something special with Bec each week, whether it is wash and brush her hair, having a coffee, or watching a movie/show together. Doing stuff for me, here I am really looking at SCA stuff or getting to the markets again, doing something with my crafts. Getting on with my studies and job applications, reading.

So that is four areas to work on to improve my life and that of my family.

House and garden maintenance/improvements;

Kids activities and appreciating them;

Bec time with her;

Myself crafting, re-enactment, reading, markets, studies, jobsearch.

Now I just need to work out how to score these goals and then my challenge is good to go.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 13

Slowly adding stuff to my original post as I have time to do so. I might eventually finish writing up my goals before the end of the challenge. Lol

• Like 3

I freaking LOVE this Thom! The only dog that ought to be beat is the black dog of depression. Eff that. You know I empathize.

This is my favourite challenge I've seen you post because of the care in it for what really matters most (oops rhyming). There is so much in the world to tackle and do, but to take a step back and prioritize helps make the mountain so much smaller.

One's own kiddos and Lady are about the best quest anyone can venture. Much support to you brother! Hail!

• Like 2

Nice challenge. I'm proud of you for sticking to the re-spawn. Troll not dead yet, but you're still fighting and it's the journey that matters.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Slowly adding stuff to my original post as I have time to do so. I might eventually finish writing up my goals before the end of the challenge. Lol

Ha! I hear you on that one. We'll both eventually get our goals figured out! And we'll each keep beating off those black dogs, too. 

You've got a great batch of goals that match your life priorities. That troll WILL die, because you don't give up, and you know who you are and who you are fighting for!

• Like 1

Yeah, the crazy Wizard of Aus apparently .

This weeks rune is: Peordh. Often translated as lotbox, game piece or dice cup. The rune poem is really reminding me to enjoy life.

8a448ae1495c2160be0dcd64046c5e52.jpg

• Like 6

Good runic reminder!

The article on the game is pretty cool, too. Sounds like it would be a good strategic challenge, and fun. A horn of mead along with, and it would be just about perfect. :)

• Like 1

It is a fun game and strategically challenging.

A friend who runs this fb page on tafl, has some fascinating ideas linking the Old Norse cosmology, myrhology and mindset to tafl particularly the 9x9 board. Many concepts of the heathen worldview are contained in tafl, such as the sacral kingship, the willingness to sacrifice yourself for the tribe (represented by the king) the basic tactics for hall burnings and raids.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139877156090703/

• Like 1

Measurements for the start of this challenge.

Weight: 111.6kg same

Body-fat%: 33.10 up by 0.75%

Body-fat weight: 36.95kg up by 0.85kg

Lean body weight: 74.65kg down by 0.85kg

Neck: 41cm up 0.5cm

Chest: 120cm same

Waist: 116cm up 2cm

Hips: 109cm down 1cm

Mid thigh: 56.5 cm up 2.5cm

Bicep flexed: 36.5cm up 1cm

The body-fat percentage going up whilst my weight is steady is a problem. It means I lost condition last month. Bugger that is not good. I will have to reverse that.

Lean body weight:

• Like 3

Yesterday was a tiring day for me. My knees were caning from the change in weather. I needed a stick to help me walk, to take pressure off of my right knee in particular.

My youngest crew had a cross-country carnival yesterday. I went, chances of gluten exposure for Bec (sausage sizzle) and double booking meant I had to go. Then I ended up being checkpoint charlie on the course. Which meant standing for nearly three hours. Yay. Had fun through the pain though. My kids completed their runs, and had fun. My Jen ran with a the kindy girls so they wouldn't get lost on the track. I am so proud of them all. When we got to the op shop where Bec was volunteering we bought them a little toy each. They even thanked us for the good day out.

• Like 3

Photos of my kids;

3d48faccbcda047ed74e046d9e5b2c0c.jpg

My Chris running past my checkpoint, he and his friend John ran the course together, often hand in hand.

84319cc04b30d6c2c5645b7fd501ba7d.jpg

Jen running with the kindy girls.

de3773fe716ff97ea7b411e82d4c02aa.jpg

Elaina on her run, she twisted her ankle Wednesday and ran on it Friday.

56d0abb1dda7732b8bb8bafb9e00104c.jpg

Emmy and her friend ran the course together.

2dcea6c098ab290f28dc0cad40ae3a88.jpg

My Jen struggled to run her race, she is more a warrior than a scout, and she still isn't 100% well yet. So proud of her efforts.

• Like 8

Love the pictures Thom!

@Shadowlion...hadn't thought about it, you and Thom are alike in a few ways! (comment triggered by the discussion of how hard you both think about your challenges...and how sometimes it takes you a while to hone in on exactly what the goals will be)

• Like 1

Love the pictures Thom!

@Shadowlion...hadn't thought about it, you and Thom are alike in a few ways! (comment triggered by the discussion of how hard you both think about your challenges...and how sometimes it takes you a while to hone in on exactly what the goals will be)

Now there is a compliment if I have ever read one, comparing my favourably with Shadowlion.

Great day so far. Got two household jobs in, handle came off the fridge door and I reset the flyscreen in the front screen door (cats had pulled if out by climbing up it). With such a busy week, I fell behind on the washing so I hammered into that. Made some pineapple upside-down muffins for the kids. Spent one on one time with Theo, whilst Bec took kids to soccer. We watched Fast and Furious 7 and Hercules (Dwayne Johnson version). He helped me with every job I had today. I did about ten minutes of broadsword, practicing the seven cuts against a punching bag. Interesting feeling the impact of each cut, and it helped with gauging distance a bit better. Going to have to do that more often.

• Like 5