• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thom Stépan

Thom changes tactics to beat that effing troll

Damn forum issues I have lost everyone I follow, so I am not getting any updates on threads.

I so need to sit down and search and catch up with my great mates here.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 6

Damn forum issues I have lost everyone I follow, so I am not getting any updates on threads. emoji853.png

Doh!

I am searching out people today ;)

• Like 2

Dear sir: it is a pleasure to follow your thread!   Yeah the forums are still weird.  I get some notifications but not all of them and what notifications I get are mushed into one email that isn't very readable.  I have given up on most of email notifications and just jump online to respond.  

PS: how is that troll coming along today?

• Like 1

Damn forum issues I have lost everyone I follow, so I am not getting any updates on threads. emoji853.png

It's a test ......  it is only a test .......  

• Like 2

The Troll has been troublesome today. The second week of the school holidays generally adds extra stress for me. I haven't had a chance to meditate at all this week. I have done some housework everyday so far, but that has been all. My sleep patterns have gotten messy, which leads to plenty of issues. I need to get it back on track as school goes back next week.

I have been sending Bec very long text messages explaining how I am feeling and what is happening in my head, which has been helpful for our relationship.

Oh on that note, Bec is finally starting divorce proceedings. That is the next step towards us being able to marry. It is also another nasty blackdog whisper being silenced in my head.

• Like 4

Glad to hear you're still plugging along where you can. I bet school holiday's make things pretty hectic, eh? I'm sure you're doing great regardless. :D Just keep doing what you can because frankly, that's enough. Hey, you're doing better than me. I can't recall the last time I did proper housework.

• Like 1

whew, I hear ya on the sleep schedules.  Mine have been good this challenge, and it seems it is helping me to stay focused on my goals.

Hopefully, things can settle down for you.  Then you can get some rest :)

• Like 1

When I have a successful challenge, Doll. My original idea was hits on all of my goals at the end of the challenge would count as killing the troll. So four good hits and it would be dead. I have only gotten two or three hits so it is still alive. As trolls regenerate I need to get good hits in. But this challenge really started with an odd mood for me, so I haven't set scoring as I usually do. That makes things a bit tricky. Although when some of my big victories with stuff for Bec, jobs around the house, time with kids, I think I am well on the way to killing my first troll.

Problem is trolls have mates. I am also using the troll as a metaphor for the negative 'voices' that the Black Dog of depression sends me. As you would understand, you might beat one 'voice' only to have another attack you from a different angle. So after I beat my first troll another will come for me to battle. But I will be stronger, tougher, more disciplined, basically I will have levelled up. So theoretically defeating the next troll should be easier. Maybe three challenges instead of four.

Today I covered Bec's shift at the local op shop. It was quiet and to amuse myself I did throughout the day:

4x12 incline pushups

2x12 squats

2x12 lunges

I alternated between lunges and squats. So basically a round was the benchtop push ups followed by lunges or squats.

• Like 7

Good for you in getting the bodyweight workout in while you were covering for Bec. Awesome that the way is clearing for the two of you to get married. I'm glad that the texting feelings is working for you and her. My dad's best marriage advice to me - and basically his only advice - was, "Communicate." As long as you do that, you can weather anything. 

Go get that troll, and that dog!

• Like 1

Got a broadsword session in today. I did some bodyweight stuff as a warm up as well.

1x20 shoulder dislocations

1x12 incline push ups

1x12 squats

1x12 lunges

1 grip hang for as long as possible.

Then I got stuck into my broadsword training. First footwork, then I practiced the seven cuts from the three primary guards (inside, outside, hanging). Next was lessons one to four of the core curriculum, ten repetitions of each lesson, finally a forty stroke count of doubling solo. These were repeated for each arm. Forty minutes later I am sweaty, aching in a good way and wobbly on my legs.

Oh and as inspiration from a friend I did the seven cuts and lessons against the punching bag I have. It feels good to hit that thing hard.

• Like 6

I am off to a great start for week four. This Morning I got up at my normal time 5.20am, got dressed and basic grooming. I was in the shed and meditating in fifteen minutes. After that I made my morning coffee and then did some stretches/yoga for another fifteen minutes. Now I am drinking my coffee and updating here.

What is the difference? Simple I crashed at 6.30pm last night and slept for about 11 hours. My poor Bec though. She got gluten poisoning on the 17th, and has been really ill. With pains around her right side. On Saturday we took her to hospital, where they ruled out the nasties; appendicitis, kidney stones, kidney infections. In the end the sent her home late Saturday afternoon, with the thoughts that it was just a different way the celiacs expressed displeasure at the poisoning. So she still isn't well, but yesterday she pushed me to exercise and then told me to go to bed when I was falling asleep in my armchair. I love her so much, she even told me off for apologising and feeling guilty for crashing. Yesterday's and this morning's efforts are due, primarily, to her love for me.

This week's rune is Tir (the North Star).

d59361799d618a3944ee808448002b05.jpg

The rune is also linked with the God Tyr (Old Norse) or Tiw (Old English). It is the rune of truth, nobility, trustworthiness, staying the course, the North (or Pole) Star and victory.

Tyr is the God I first connected with many moons ago and in a sense is my patron, although the Old Norse word translates as 'Beloved Friend' a more beautiful term.

• Like 7

Day two of meditating on the rune Tir. It really is a rune symbolising staying the course, being true to one's self and others, not giving up in the darkness, never betraying your goals/beliefs/friends/family nor deceiving others. In other words being noble of spirit, purpose and deed.

Another word often associated with Tir is glory.

• Like 4

I like the way you have described Tir. Sounds like a very rich concept. So glad your week is starting well. Good for you, bad for the troll.

• Like 1