• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Thom Stépan

Thom changes tactics to beat that effing troll

Strangely enough the Norse Tyr, is primarily known as a God of War and the Althing (Legal Assembly/parliment). Although Snorri staes that someone who is very wise is called Ty-wise and the brave are Ty-valiant after Him. The Icelandic Rune Poem shows Tyr as the Ruler of the Temple and linking Him to clergy and religious rituals.

From comparative mythology we see Tyr as the ancient Sky Father, whose name is cognate to Zeus and Jupiter, Dyaus Pitar. Some of the Germanic tribes called Tyr 'Ziu' and his wife was known as Zisa.

Tyr, Tiw (Old English), Tiwaz, Tius, Mars Thingsus (as the Romans knew Him, inscriptions at Hadrian's Wall), Ziu, Dyaus Pitar are names linked to the God. Tuisto, Saxnot, Saexneat, Cheru are possible tribal variations of the same God but we have little evidence to ascertain one way or the other.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 4

Another meditation session done today. That is three this week. I am reminded of the connection between the Irminsul and this rune this morning. The Irminsul is the great cosmic pillar, the axis mundi, around which everything turns. It is equivalent to the Norse Yggdrasil the world tree.

This was the sacred symbol of the Heathen Saxons. In their most holiest of groves they had a giant pillar made from the trunk of a tree, its apex was said to point at the North Star. It was destroyed and the grove burned down by the Christian Franks under the leadership of Charles the Great, or Charlemagne. The Heathen Saxons were forced to convert to Christianity by sword and fire. Failure to do so ended with torture and death. The converts had to foreswear allegiances to the three main Gods of the Saxons; Odin, Thor and Saxnot.

• Like 3

A very brief meditation session today. I gots the tireds and the lurgy (headcold).

The Tir rune is really teaching us what we are learning and doing here. Be consistent, never give up, stay the course, be true to yourself. So a thousand year old poem is telling us, in a few brief lines, to do what this entire forum (and entire self help industry for that matter) is teaching us to do in order to have a better (noble) life. Fascinating.

• Like 6

My poor Elaina is in hospital, probable appendicitis. Two of my girls are at Granma's, so I am home alone with three kids, Theo, Jenna and Chris.

• Like 1

Glad she at least got some rest. Take care of yourself as best you can while taking care of everyone else.

Thanks Xena, that's pretty much all I an doing at the moment, trying to get enough sleep and making sure that the kids are fed,have clean clothes and the kitchen is clean. The rest can wait. My poor Elaina has at least one more night in hospital.

• Like 1

This is cool, the kids spotted an echidna in the garden. It was eating ants on the driveway, but tried to hide behind some rocks when it was spotted.

0746ade37ed4dd2b828cb19409a6fb75.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah she is still in hospital. They are still not 100% sure if its her appendix or a virus that is going round the presents similar symptoms. She has eaten some dinner today, which is good, first time in a day.

• Like 1

Oh and for those who may not know, my Elaina is a cancer survivor. When she was one (she'll be 8 in July), she was diagnosed with an aggressive, life threatening, non malignant desmoid tumour in her left cheek bone. So technically not cancer, remember the non-malignant part? But if not found it would have killed her. She had her left cheek bone removed, and muscles from her stomach were placed under her eye to support it. She has no teeth on the left side of her mouth, top and bottom. If you didn't know you wouldn't notice such was the skill of her surgeon. She was the youngest person in Australia to undergo such facial reconstruction surgery.

My Nina bear is as tough as nails however, and doesn't let life hold her down. But when she gets really ill, we worry.

053319774282147cc9c0083fb4a20471.jpg

My Nina last Christmas wearing my Trilby.

• Like 6

Very true, with Elaina it is just that bit more.

Strange part is all that tumour stuff happened before I was part of the family, but I felt bad for not being there for her. A stupid thing really, I didn't even know the family, but that is just me. I am grateful and happy that I am the man who tucks her in at night, gives her pick up hugs, helps her with her home work and tells her off when she is naughty. I am her Dad now.

• Like 6

What a beautiful little girl. I'm sorry she's had such hardship already, but I'm glad you are there for her now.

• Like 1