Loved UnderRated Movies

I'll second a bunch of the above - Watchmen, O Brother, Con Air, Eternal Sunshine, Wedding Singer. You guys have taste! I keep meaning to watch that Punisher movie too.

A few other suggestions: Dark City, which was the film Alex Proyas made after The Crow and is amazing. Dredd, the Karl Urban version from a few years ago. Demolition Man (I don't think this is really under-rated - everyone I know loves it - but hey ...), StargateStarship Troopers, Johnny Mnemonic, 12 Monkeys, The Fifth Element ...

I could list cheesy 90s and 00s sci-fi movies for hours but I'll spare you!

• Like 3

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:32 AM, Myrdinn said:

Dredd, the Karl Urban version from a few years ago. Demolition Man (I don't think this is really under-rated - everyone I know loves it - but hey ...)

Oh my goodness Dredd was amazing.  I actually started reading the old 2000AD comics to brush up on my Judge Dredd knowledge, it's pretty exciting for 1970s stuff.  And Demolition Man is actually my favorite movie ever so that's another awesome-point for you.  Speaking of Sly, I loved his cheesy version of Judge Dredd too.  Sylvester can do almost no wrong.

My favorite underrated movie is Poolhall Junkies.  It'll make you want to quit your job and start learning pool right then and there.

• Like 1

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

1 minute ago, Andrees said:

I actually started reading the old 2000AD comics to learn brush up on my Judge Dredd knowledge, it's pretty exciting for 1970s stuff

I have just started working my way through these from Prog 1 onwards, I'm on the third volume of the collected works.

I am not such a fan of the Stallone Dredd movie but I guess it's got a kind of cheesy hackneyed charm to it.

Have you watched The Raid? It's an Indonesian martial arts flick that is extremely similar to Dredd. Apparently the latter isn't actually a rip-off, as they were in production at the same time, but you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a remake.

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Just now, Myrdinn said:

I have just started working my way through these from Prog 1 onwards, I'm on the third volume of the collected works.

I am not such a fan of the Stallone Dredd movie but I guess it's got a kind of cheesy hackneyed charm to it.

Have you watched The Raid? It's an Indonesian martial arts flick that is extremely similar to Dredd. Apparently the latter isn't actually a rip-off, as they were in production at the same time, but you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a remake.

Nice!  I'm on prog 27.  It's really cool to see how it all started and how crazy and extreme the setting was for the time.  His Italian stereotype of a maid is pretty off-the-wall too.  And I still haven't seen The Raid!  I have it on my laptop and I've been begging my wife to watch it with me.  I'll make it a goal to watch it within the next week.

No risk, no reward

Current Challenge: Andrees in Shifting Sand Land

Lets start with something serious. A gem of a film, appraised by critics and higly influential, yet near forgotten today.
Diva. This is the film that gave back the picture to the french film. Every single frame is composed... you can pause the movie anytime, print the frame and you have a strong photography to put on the wall. Truly and stunningly amazing. Oh, and the characters are... well. It's a french film, so slight weirdness is mandatory. Side note: I want to be like Gorodish.

If you have the slightest interest in photography, this is a must see. Oh, and the film finds zen in the art of buttering bread.

Then, "C’est arrivé près de chez vous " (english title: "Man bites dog"). A very graphic mockumentary on a film team covering the work of serial killer, raising questions on the role and responsibility of the media.

The former two have been higly appraised by critics, but never made it into the mainstream. The third film, on the other hand, has had a difficult stand with critiques, but gained some very loyal fans (who also crowdfunded a part of the production). Iron Sky exploits the fact that the bad guys in any science fiction film always look a bit like Nazis, and consequently is a science-fiction with real Nazis. From the Moon. Drawing on some of the weirdest conspiracy theories known to man, this film mocks US politics and german car manufacturer advertising abroad, explains the USB port and even references wing commander (for those of you old enough to have played the game). Keep an open eye and ear, there are so many details... like Laibach making the soundtrack citing Wagner (and writing a national anthem for the moon nazis to the tune of "Wacht am Rhein"). Oh, there will be a sequel. Featuring reptiloids and Hitler riding a Dinosaur. And Vladimir Putin.

• Like 3

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

I second Oscar and Clue and add to that list Murder by Death - hilarious, but not in the stupid way hilarious movies are funny now. 

I'll throw another vote out to Dark City and 12 Monkeys

My favorite underrated movie is Clay Pigeons. I watched this back in the VHS era so often that I broke, fixed, then broke again first copy.  I've never run into anyone who has ever heard of it but Vince Vaughn and Joaquin Phoenix are great in this!  Seriously, a must see.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Wow, lots of good stuff here.

Here's mine: "Bubba Ho-Tep", which stars Bruce Campbell as an elderly Elvis impersonator who just might be Elvis in disguise, Ossie Davis as JFK, and a zombie.  Based off a great story by Joe R. Lansdale.

"Leningrad Cowboys Do America" - wonderful, deadpan comedy directed by Aki Kaurismaki, about a Russian polka band who seek fame and fortune in the US.  They're lugging around the frozen corpse of their bassist, and being followed by the village idiot.  Then they discover rock and roll...

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Waterworld - to this day the only boat I want is a Trimaran

Troll Hunter - waiting for a sequel.

• Like 2

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:32 AM, Myrdinn said:

12 Monkeys, The Fifth Element ...

I could list cheesy 90s and 00s sci-fi movies for hours but I'll spare you!

I just watched the Fifth Element the other day.  I always want that blue chick to sing longer.

Oh and thanks for reminding me of 12 monkeys!

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, Driftwood said:

Waterworld - to this day the only boat I want is a Trimaran

Yes!

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Funny Games

It is one of my favorite movies out there but it is the one movie I can never recommend to most people because of how disturbing the film is. The movie is suppose to be both a psychological thriller and also a commentary on horror and slasher films. It was an Austrian film with a shot-for-shot American remake. You can literally watch either version and not see any changes aside from the actors and language(Even the run times are almost the exact same).

SqB4x.gif

lO28z.gif

8s4dk.gif2mK9W.gif

If you are into horror movies I totally recommend this movie. I just have to tell you that the film is probably going to make you feel uncomfortable.

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome

On 4/11/2016 at 2:22 PM, Flagwaver said:

Finally, number three on my list is a movie based on one of my favorite plays.  Noises Off... is another who's who from among Tinsel Town (do you see a pattern here).  Michael Cain, Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve, John Ritter, and Julie Hagerty have some of the best lines and show everything that can go wrong with a big-name stage production.

@FlagwaverI did noises off in high school and that's such a fun show! I didn't realize it was a movie! And great cast I'll have to check that out!

That's neat, and so are you

After the first part covered the basic questions of human existence (where do we come from, what shall we do with the time we have?) , the second part deals with the fundamental metaphysical questions we encounter along the highway and at it's end. --> Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. 

MV5BMjAwNjQyODA2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDM4

"Be excellent to each other!" ;-)

Luds

• Like 2

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

Big Fish - phenomenal fantasy with some great actors.

Stage Beauty - Serious drama, but a great imagining of how acting changed in Shakespearean times.

Penelope - The UK version.  The US version added a bunch of crappy pop music and made it super lame.  The UK version is fabulous.

The Ghost and the Darkness - Intense, but based on the true story of two man-eating lions.  Really great drama.

Sleepy Hollow - Before Tim Burton tried to direct like Tim Burton.  Same with Edward Scissorhands.  Now he's just trying to hard, but those two are classics.

That Lady in Ermine - If you have seen this movie, you should message me, because I don't know anyone outside of people I've shown it to who have seen it or even heard of it.

Yeah, this list is...eclectic.  I know I'm missing dozens.

• Like 1

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn