Loved UnderRated Movies

On 2/2/2017 at 10:19 PM, EmeraldEagle said:

Fried Green Tomatoes

Epic.  Every woman should see this movie.

On 1/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, brandon de niro said:

Leon: The Professional

This is one I wish I'd mentioned.  But I disagree on Blue Velvet.  The title gives me a gag reflex.

On 10/31/2016 at 1:31 PM, Maj. Bloodnok said:

Bubba Ho-Tep

Hilarious!

On 10/31/2016 at 0:39 PM, LadyShello said:

I second Oscar and Clue and add to that list Murder by Death - hilarious, but not in the stupid way hilarious movies are funny now. 

I'll throw another vote out to Dark City and 12 Monkeys

You're so dead on with all of these that now I have to see Clay Pigeons.

Also, if you haven't seen them yet, check out Night Watch and Day Watch.  They're subtitled but fantastic - especially if you liked Dark City and 12 Monkeys.

Also, Wag the Dog, which predicted Clinton's fiasco before it happened.

• Like 1

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

I'll second a bunch of the above - Watchmen, O Brother, Con Air, Eternal Sunshine, Wedding Singer. You guys have taste! I keep meaning to watch that Punisher movie too.

A few other suggestions: Dark City, which was the film Alex Proyas made after The Crow and is amazing. Dredd, the Karl Urban version from a few years ago. Demolition Man (I don't think this is really under-rated - everyone I know loves it - but hey ...), StargateStarship Troopers, Johnny Mnemonic, 12 Monkeys, The Fifth Element ...

I could list cheesy 90s and 00s sci-fi movies for hours but I'll spare you!

Galaxy Quest!

Oh man! I need to rewatch some of these, I had even forgotten 12 Monkeys existed! I loved Starship Troopers, Dread, The Fifth Element, Demolition Man, Galaxy Quest, Stargate... The only problem is that my bf hates sci-fi :(

For those who like love stories The Notebook is a brilliant story, though it's a better book than a film, and I can't believe no one has suggested Dusk Till Dawn yet. Classic Tarantino. :D

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 3/26/2017 at 2:51 PM, Guzzi said:

Oh man! I need to rewatch some of these, I had even forgotten 12 Monkeys existed! I loved Starship Troopers, Dread, The Fifth Element, Demolition Man, Galaxy Quest, Stargate... The only problem is that my bf hates sci-fi :(

For those who like love stories The Notebook is a brilliant story, though it's a better book than a film, and I can't believe no one has suggested Dusk Till Dawn yet. Classic Tarantino. :D

I first read that as Keith Urban.....but all of those movies are great as well. I have a store called "The Movie Trading company" by me. It has all of these greats for very cheap prices. Just picked up Legend the other day which has the two different movie cuts. Legend is so great.

On 4/5/2016 at 5:01 PM, Butternut said:

This is the beginning of my List

-Wedding Singer (should be on everyone's shelf, I'm not that big into love stories, but this one is very acceptable.)

-Watchmen (I'm still talking my husband into letting me be Rorshach for Halloween, he says it won't work because "I'm a 5'8" chick")

-Eternal Sunshine and the Spotless Mind (Ok, I swear I'm not that much into love stories, but again this is very acceptable)

-There Will Be Blood (This one was a popular movie, I just still think its awesome

-Top Secret (I was not born born yet when this movie was out, so I'm not sure if it was popular, but I have only met 1 person who knows of this movie)

Good list. Wedding Singer is probably Adam Sandler's best comedy. And holy shit Eternal Sunshine is phenomenal. Let me see if I can get a list:

• In the Land of Women -- Adam Brody can actually act! Who knew? But this movie's strength is its simple story.
  • Rat Race -- Literally one of the funniest movies I have ever seen; perfect comedic timing and the best cast for the job.
  • Super 8 -- I freaking love this movie; nostalgic, mysterious, heartbreaking and mesmerizing.
  • Punch Drunk Love -- Speaking of Adam Sandler, I think this is his best performance. "I'd say that's that, Mattress Man." (WARNING: Strong language)
  • Wes Anderson movies -- all of them; the critics are kind of "ehhhh...well...ummm...it's clever" but I'm like "Holy shit, what did I just watch, and can I watch it again?"
  • Sherlock Holmes -- The Guy Ritchie reinvention turned Sherlock into an action hero while maintaining his witty and socially inept behavior; RDJr. is pretty much golden as far as I'm concerned.
  • Blood Diamond -- Sure, it falls apart during most of its action sequences, and it lags a bit during some of the dialogue, but damn Dicaprio and Hounsou sure can act.
  • Tucker and Dale Versus Evil -- Maybe it's because I live in a very "redneck" state (West Virginia) and can picture this kind of thing actually happening (sort of), or maybe it's the brilliant blending of comedy and horror; either way, I love this one.
  • The Cabin in the Woods -- Yes, it's nerd candy. Yes, it's written by Joss Whedon. But oh my God it is so much fun.
  • Into the Wild -- Sure, it's a bummer, but come on. We all knew how the movie was going to end. But because I am drawn to nature and the wild myself, I see something familiar in Chris's desire to connect with nature and pursue his own kind of freedom. Beautifully filmed with a perfect set of songs composed by Eddie Vedder, I just can't get enough.
  • Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Can't believe I forgot one:

Scott Pilgrim Versus the World -- What a fun movie.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - I don't know if this is "underrated", per se, but to my knowledge it's not what normal people pop into the DVD player on a Friday night ... it is, however, my most-watched movie by a longshot. It's like Star Trek in the 1800's. I love it.

Higher Ground (1988) - starring John Denver as a Los Angeles cop busting narcotics rings in Alaska. Yes, that John Denver. It's cheesy and heartwarming, but surprisingly not predictable. One of my favorites.

Most of my absolute favorite movies are really old - my favorite movie of all time is The Clock (1944). Forgive me for sounding like a hipster, but I don't know anyone else in person who has seen it ... but it is an absolute gem. Also highly recommend 1960's Westerns, 1930's screwball comedies, old 1930's and 40's Hitchcock films, and vintage chick flicks like Roman Holiday (1953), The Shop Around the Corner (1940), and Bachelor Mother (1939).

Also anything by Fred Astaire (swoon) or Buster Keaton (swoon).

Also You Can't Take It With You (1938) - that one gives me the warm fuzzies!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Most of my absolute favorite movies are really old

You have good taste. I love classic films. Singin' in the Rain remains my all-time favorite musical. Not underrated but incredible.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Kung-Fu Hustle is a chronically under-appreciated film. It is also the reason I was no longer allowed to pick films for movie night, once upon a yesteryear. Also, Jackie Chan's Hong Kong works don't get nearly enough love in the US, particularly Wheels on Meals.

• Like 2

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

The Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas.

Flash Point and SPL with Donnie Yen.

Ondine with Colin Farrell

TiMER

Bedazzled and Airheads with Brendan Frazier

Face/Off of course.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:21 AM, Nomad Jay said:

Also, Jackie Chan's Hong Kong works don't get nearly enough love in the US, particularly Wheels on Meals.

With Benny The Jet. I watched this in the theater twice.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2017 at 7:25 AM, Akura said:

How is Wheels on Meals underrated?! What is wrong with people?

*shrug* Maybe I'm just not hanging out with the right kind of people.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

A lot of great titles in these 3 pages. Added a few to my "to watch" list. Here's 2 I haven't seen mentioned.

• Waiting - This one might only really resinate with people who have worked at a restaurant, but my lord, it rings so true it's scary even while being on over the top comedy. 
  • Out Cold - It's a silly comedy and probably really rings true to me as I saw it when I was freshly out of high school, but I loved it then and still love it now. 

I'll cast another vote for Clue, my all time favorite movie.

Another couple of movies I really like are:

The VVitch: a period drama/horror story about a family of puritans who slowly go insane as they feel the Devil's grasp tightening around them. Yes the title is spelled like that. The pace is really slow, but I love the character interactions.

Hansel and Gretel: witch hunters: this movie is pure, delicious cheese. It's utter nonsense and I love every minute of it. Also Famke Janssen is in it. Nuff said. 

Image result for famke janssen hansel and gretel

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

You know when you see a film when you're a kid and something about it sticks with you, so that even when you grow up and know that actually, on many levels a film is rubbish or some way short of what could have been, but yet you still love it? That's what Krull and Slipstream are. Most people have heard of Krull, but Slipstream tends to have passed most people by, even nerds. And it is so so flawed and one of the few films worth a remake (never going to happen, sadly) but also so full of ideas. And it has Mark Hammill and Bill Paxton and Robbie Coltrane and Sir Ben Kingsley and Bob Peck (oh man is Bob Peck good in this!)

I'd also mention the Princess Bride because that stuck with me from childhood (for years I could remember the sword fight scene and nothing else), but unlike the other 2 this is genuinely, all out awesome.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 11/16/2017 at 5:29 PM, GodzillaKong said:

I'd also mention the Princess Bride because that stuck with me from childhood (for years I could remember the sword fight scene and nothing else), but unlike the other 2 this is genuinely, all out awesome.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I'm seeing a lot of movies here that are not underrated...but they're good movies lol

Black Sheep (2006)

Frank (2014)

Never Let Me Go (2010)

The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006)

All of the Riddick movies

The City of Lost Children (1995)

Delicatessen (1991)

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...