• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rbchampagne

Fat vs Protein as main source of calories?

So I am doing the whole30 YAY! and doing pretty well on it (only day 4 though), and mfp is flipping its shit because of my fat intake. I know it is customisable, but I wanted to know if there is any damage with that much fat? I am getting about 50% of my daily calories from fat 30-40% from protein and the rest from carbs. Does it matter if it take in more fat than protein?

Just customise your MFP nutrient goals to suit your own preferences.

Is whole 30 necessarily low carb? (Can you tell I'm not a Paleo expert?)

There's not likely to be any permanent damage from high fat intake, although some people have digestive issues with it.

It does not matter. Especially not for a W30. You may run into a case where if you're going from low fat to high fat you'll need some digestive enzymes for a while, but it's not anything you need to track. There's actually nothing you need to track in MFP for a W30. It's all about the type of food, not the macros. 

14 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

It's actually not low carb at all. Sweet potatoes and plantains ahoy!

16 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Just customise your MFP nutrient goals to suit your own preferences.

There's not likely to be any permanent damage from high fat intake, although some people have digestive issues with it.

1 minute ago, Magess said:

It's actually not low carb at all. Sweet potatoes and plantains ahoy!

I would say for me it is low carb. I don't eat many potatoes to begin with or plantains. It is mainly about cutting out all the added sugar, chemicals I can't pronounce, and just focusing on eating whole foods in there natural forms.

1 minute ago, rbchampagne said:

I would say for me it is low carb. I don't eat many potatoes to begin with or plantains. It is mainly about cutting out all the added sugar, chemicals I can't pronounce, and just focusing on eating whole foods in there natural forms.

I think the point we were discussing was that it doesn't have to be low carb.

13 minutes ago, Magess said:

It does not matter. Especially not for a W30. You may run into a case where if you're going from low fat to high fat you'll need some digestive enzymes for a while, but it's not anything you need to track. There's actually nothing you need to track in MFP for a W30. It's all about the type of food, not the macros. 

Luckily my previous diet consisted of  A LOT of dairy. so high fat doesn't mess with me. I was just wondering because reading an artical with a dietitian that were advising against high fat diets even though high fat vs high protein study participants had almost the same exactly weight loss/ blood work.

3 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Just a reminder... carbs aren't evil! ;) 

I completely agree. I just personally try not to go overboard with them because I am insulin resistant (weight loss and muscle building to get rid of it) and they make me very sleepy and bloated to the point of pain. Plus my body doesn't respond the best. It is mainly refined carbs that do that if I eat to much of them.