Hoping nerdfitness is the one!

I found Nerd Fitness on a subreddit last week and have spent the last 4 days researching it.

It seems awesome and I would love some help!

27/m/205lbs/5'10". Waist 36". I have let myself go in recent years. O drank way too much and was 'too busy' to work out. I also smoked a pack a day for 10 years. Now I've been nicotine free for 43 days and back in the gym for 5 weeks. Right now I go to the gym 6 days a week two times a day. Lift ( dumbbell circuit training) m,w,f mornings. Spin class m,w,sat night. Yoga/Pilates t,r morning and run/swim t,r night. I just found out about paleo so I'm going to give it a try. I haven't lost a pound. I haven't lost anything off of my waist. I do have some definition coming in my shoulders.

Other than my diet, does anything in my workout sound off?

I'm trying to run right now but when I do, my lower back starts to hurt bad. I've got new running shoes and I stretch to no avail. Ideas?

Also, can anyone throw me some other easy food plans for starting paleo? I've found a couple small recipes (Steve's stir fry).

Sorry for the long post. I'm very eager to get my life/body back on track!

Thanks!

Justin

I assure you NF is the right place. No matter who you are and what you're interested in, there are people here who can help you get there.

Calculate your caloric needs (I like this calculator) and pick your deficit for weight loss. One pound of fat = 3500 calories, so to lose one pound per week, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day (3500/7=500). It sounds like you're exercising a lot, so you have to make sure to eat enough to keep yourself energized and your metabolism steady. Even though it's not strictly paleo, track your food for a couple of days to get a feel for how many calories you're eating and what your macronutrient ratios are.

Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf run great paleo blogs with articles and tips to get you started, and the Paleo board can answer any specific questions you have.

It sounds like you're off to a great start on your transformation. Welcome and good luck!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Congrats on quitting smoking. As a bartender I know how tough it can be to be around drinkers and not smoking. That's huge. I was right about your size when I started getting back in shape, about a year ago now I think, and it can be tough because I didn't really see it at first. I also do free weights MWF. Trust me if you keep at it you'll see it after a while, especially with the cardio. From being a 37 waist I guaranty when you buy yourself a pair 32s it feels pretty sweet.

Also, if running is hurting your back, consider perhaps bicycling. My knee gives me problems when I run, biking works better for me.

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Wow...yeah I agree that NF is the right place as long as you have the right mindset!

I would also caution you that you might be doing too much. Working out is awesome and super fun, and I also have the tendency to jump cannonball-style into any new regimen...but be careful. You don't want to stress your body too much, or wear yourself out. For instance, I am in school full time, and I work 30+ hours a week. I was exercising 6 days a week (cardio 3 days/weights 3 days). It's too much. I'm constantly exhausted.

Just a couple thoughts...welcome and I'm sure you will have great success on your journey!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

welcome to the community! i agree with above that you're likely working out too much. or at least too much than is sustainable long term. i think if you eat a balanced diet (paleo or otherwise) and work out 3-6 times per week you'll get the results you want...and it will be a long term shift as opposed to wht you're doing now...which is great...but i just don't know anyone who can work out 12 times per week and not go a bit insane.

i did a 30 day paleo trial (i recommend reading robb wolf's book "the paleo solution" before starting) and i'm trying to make my diet more paleo now (though not all the way). the stir fry is a great start. some other things i like: grill some chicken breasts and do sides like brocolli, wilted spinach with red peppers, squash, sweet potatos. hamburgers without the buns are good. also steak. sometimes i'll do a breakfast for dinner kinda thing with scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon. fruit works if you like sweets. i like to cut up an apple and/or pear and toss it in a an with a bit of olive oil and some cinammon...good dessert...or snack.

but do track your calories for a week or so. just to see where you are at. you'll notice habits like "i seem to eat a good bit at 230pm" or "i seem to eat sweet things after 9pm." these can be good clues of the best way to structure your diet. for example, for me, i know i get hungrier/snackier in the evening. so i try to keep my calories realitvely low during the day so that i have a bit more wiggle room at night.

good luck and glad youre here!