Intimidated by Cosplaying

I've always wanted to cosplay and there's a small convention coming to my area in June (Magic City Con in Birmingham, AL), but lately I'm having a lot of negativity and self-doubt creeping up in my mind, telling me that I just shouldn't try, that anything I attempt will never look good. I'm having trouble even nailing down what I might want to cosplay as because as I look for ideas online I just get so frustrated with the mysoginy of many of the characters or costumes (can't a girl fight crime without wearing a pushup bra?). 

I'm a little overweight so that doesn't help with any self confidence issues I may have, but I'm really cleaning up my diet and if nothing else I'm walking every day and playing with my very high energy dog.

I know lots of folks here have probably ran into similar issues in their own journeys, so what did you do to kick those negativity demons in the face?

• Like 3

I'm a cosplayer and I can promise you that the community isn't as catty as it was shown on the televised abortion known as Heroes of Cosplay.  The key is to pick a character and cosplay the hell out of it.  Whether you want to be a Jedi, a Shinagami, a Sailor Scout, an X-Man, Wonder Woman, or anything else, as long as you like the character, that's all that counts.  The secret of cosplay is that it's not really you.  When you dress as the character, especially at conventions, you are the character.  Nobody sees you anymore.

Believe me, I'm an over-weight home-body, but when I dress as a Jedi I become the Jedi.  I pose, talk to people, get all philosophical, and have fun.  In the end, that's all that matters.  As long as you have fun, then you're cosplaying right.  Oh, there's also making a blood sacrifice to the goddess of cosplay, but that comes when you cut yourself making whatever your costume is, so it's not really worth going into.

• Like 7

I agree with Flagwaver: cosplay is about picking a character you enjoy and playing them for a day.  The attitude and mannerisms are more important than the actual costume.  And the most important thing is to enjoy yourself.

The actual costume making is always an ongoing process as you learn new skills and none of us are in the perfect shape for our costumes, especially since half the characters don't use realistic proportions anyway.

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Definitely give it a go! The community is really nice and welcoming, plus you get to meet other fans of whatever fandom you're doing!

For your first time I'd recommend finding a character that looks like you, just so you feel more comfortable in the costume. If you're on the chubbier side like me and not comfortable with exposing a lot of yourself then choose a character that is reasonably covered up. I've been Rhyme (The World Ends With You) and Ema Skye (Ace Attorney) and felt good in both, but I've also been Misty (Pokemon) which I didn't feel so good in. Believe me, I know it can be hard to pick a female character who isn't too exposed but they do exist. There's also no shame in being a genderbent or different gendered character either if you want to go down that path. 

If you need some ideas, maybe list some of your fandoms here and a brief description of what you look like (or a photo if you're comfortable with that) and see if anyone here can come up with anything.

Another suggestion is to get a friend to cosplay with you! Not only do you get the added support of your buddy but it also adds accountability. :)

If you do decide to ahead with it (which you totally should), :) don't forget to eat properly and drink plenty of water. Keep tabs on the weather and your own body temperature, you don't want your costume making you too hot or too cold. Cons also get crowded which can make it warmer than usual so keep that in mind as well.

Happy cosplaying~

• Like 2

I've been devouring the DC Bombshells series lately and I'm thinking of doing something from that. I really love high waisted shorts so i was thinking about Wonder Woman, especially since you can actually buy the shorts at Hot Topic. I'm blonde so I would have to wear a wig probably but that's no big deal.

Black Canary might or Poison Ivy might be fun too. I haven't decided.

• Like 5

I would assume it runs the gamut between chubby wearing a Steve Rogers shirt and carrying a Cap shield and going full on metal shield and full Cap garb and actually working out/becoming the character.

I have always had an all or nothing mentality for myself. I don't look the part, so I never try. I always joke about cosplaying as Marvel's Mojo, because I kinda look the part, where I'd much rather be several other characters.

I think creating the costume would be so much fun, but I just can't get around my size being a factor. I'm not gonna be the first guy, wearing a Cap shirt with a shield made from the pizza box I'd eaten the night before. (Cap is an example. I've no wish to be him.)

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

My recommendation for first-time cosplay is to keep it simple. That way, it's less likely that you'll find yourself overwhelmed both in the making stage and in the wearing stage. If confidence is an issue for you, you might even want to stick to "closet cosplay," or using regular clothing that you either already own or can get easily (plus perhaps one or two simple props or customized bits), for your first go at things. You'll be portraying a character you like, but you won't be wearing anything that's too far outside of your existing comfort zone. If you're lucky enough to have the money for it, you could also work with someone who does cosplay commissions, many of whom will help design a cosplay that works with your body and confidence level. 

If you want to jump in with both feet and actually make up your own cosplay from scratch, I recommend picking something relatively simple to sew that you would feel comfortable and confident wearing. I make this recommendation largely because you don't want to get stressed out trying to make a whole lot of things or sew something super-complicated and then have to worry about how things are going to look with this puckered seam and that bad armor paint job. These are things that happen, sure, and you'll totally have these things happen on your cosplay journey, but you don't want them to happen your first few times out if you can help it, if only just to build your own confidence up enough to be able to roll with any potential frustrations later.

Also, don't worry if you don't look just like the character you're cosplaying. Too short? Wrong gender? Different hair and no wig? No problem. Just do your best with what you have. We all had to start somewhere, and not everyone has the same time, resources, or talent--but what we all DO have is a love for our fandoms, and it's that more than anything that makes cosplay fun and rewarding. And if the differences are just too much for you to abide yourself, "remix" the character a little! Cosplay an in-universe OC, do a genderbend, pick out an alternate look for a character or combine your favorite parts of several of their looks. You'd be amazed at how much positive feedback that "non-accurate" remixed cosplays get. Loli-goth Darth Vader, Chew-box-a, Disney Princess Assassins...your imagination is the limit. Just have fun!

• Like 2
On 4/26/2016 at 0:02 PM, namelesswonder said:

Do people give you shit for not "being" the character? I like the idea of the costume and all that, but I really don't like roleplay. The pressure to perform is just too much for me at this point.

There will always be those people, but most of the community is very welcoming.

On 4/26/2016 at 1:19 PM, LaMenta3 said:

My recommendation for first-time cosplay is to keep it simple. That way, it's less likely that you'll find yourself overwhelmed both in the making stage and in the wearing stage. If confidence is an issue for you, you might even want to stick to "closet cosplay," or using regular clothing that you either already own or can get easily (plus perhaps one or two simple props or customized bits), for your first go at things. You'll be portraying a character you like, but you won't be wearing anything that's too far outside of your existing comfort zone. If you're lucky enough to have the money for it, you could also work with someone who does cosplay commissions, many of whom will help design a cosplay that works with your body and confidence level. 

If you want to jump in with both feet and actually make up your own cosplay from scratch, I recommend picking something relatively simple to sew that you would feel comfortable and confident wearing. I make this recommendation largely because you don't want to get stressed out trying to make a whole lot of things or sew something super-complicated and then have to worry about how things are going to look with this puckered seam and that bad armor paint job. These are things that happen, sure, and you'll totally have these things happen on your cosplay journey, but you don't want them to happen your first few times out if you can help it, if only just to build your own confidence up enough to be able to roll with any potential frustrations later.

To add to this:  your first costume doesn't have to be "simple," but you shouldn't have to go learn a bunch of new skills to make it.  If you've never sewn before, don't try making your own 3-piece suit.  But if you've already got experience with something, go for it.  My first costume was made entirely from cardboard scavenged from the dorm recycling pile, because that's what I knew how to work with.  You'll pick up new skills as you go and be able to use them on future costumes.

Also, to quote the sign outside my college's engineering build-shop, "There are 3 kinds of jobs: good, quick, and cheap; you can pick 2."  So if you're on a budget, be sure to start early and shop around.  If you're scrambling at the last minute, expect to pay extra.

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

3 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

To add to this:  your first costume doesn't have to be "simple," but you shouldn't have to go learn a bunch of new skills to make it. 

This is pretty much what I meant. :) It can be really stressful trying to put together something super-elaborate when you've never made something like it before or something that requires you to learn a lot of new things to make it. And that can hurt your confidence before you even put your cosplay on.

• Like 1

I started cosplaying two years ago and my first costume was about 75% bought and the modified and about 25% made from 'scratch'. My favorite costumes stick around and I modify them as I learn or overhaul them as I find other techniques from talking to other cosplayers at conventions. It's a blast to meet people to have fun with others who like what you like and to learn new things... So I say go for it and ask away if you have questions or want help!

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

I'm in the same boat. I want to cosplay. I've wanted to for years now. I have a dream character list and everything. But then I go to conventions or meet other ladies that cosplay...and don't feel pretty enough. One friend is literally a model and I'm like...uh...will people laugh at me? I hope to be brave enough next year. Good luck on your cosplay. 

Character | Twitter | IG

"The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them." - GoT

I had similar concerns before I cosplayed for the first time, and in all honesty, the only bad thing that happened was I got inappropriate comments from this one guy who I kept running into. His friends gave him a serious "wtf" talking to and then I didn't see him anymore after that. But people will recognize who you're dressed up as and some people will want pictures of you, even if your wig is crap compared to other people or you aren't in perfect shape. Mostly I saw people who were excited to see a character they liked.

On 4/12/2016 at 10:35 AM, Hot Ocelot said:

lately I'm having a lot of negativity and self-doubt creeping up in my mind, telling me that I just shouldn't try, that anything I attempt will never look good.

I've struggled with this in a different area.  What I found was, if I told myself it had to be perfect the first time, I would never try it.

Instead of trying to be the best cosplayer there, treat this like a 5k training run before a marathon.  This is your first time, so if you do it, you win.  You don't have to do it best or fastest or even get compliments.  If you do it, you're already doing better than you did last time you wanted to, but didn't.

Remind yourself, "This is my first one.  Basically, this is the level I start improving from."  Wear it and, whatever people say (or don't say), just repeat, "This is my first one.  The next one will be even better!"

• Like 2

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

On 8/21/2016 at 8:28 AM, Cataleya said:

But people will recognize who you're dressed up as and some people will want pictures of you, even if your wig is crap compared to other people or you aren't in perfect shape. Mostly I saw people who were excited to see a character they liked.

This. People will want pictures of you no matter what you look like or how well your costume came together; what matters is that you're expressing love for a character they love too. 

I would absolutely encourage you to cosplay, but if you're nervous, I would actually suggest going to the con in regular getup first. You'll get a chance to see other cosplayers and learn firsthand that they don't all have perfect bodies, and you'll get to see the culture. Although the comments in this thread are generally true - that cosplayers are friendly and welcoming as a community - the community etiquette can differ quite a bit from convention to convention.

I've been to some cons where it's considered appropriate to run up to cosplayers - I'm talking total strangers here - and "glomp" them (jump-hug) if their costume doesn't look delicate... and other cons where people will come up to you all excited and respectfully ask for a photo. Going to the con without a costume can give you a feel for what to expect without putting you in the thick of it. 

I'm in the same boat. I've always wanted to cosplay, but being on the chubby and now fat side, I haven't felt like I should. I would love to dress as Wonder Woman, but just don't have the confidence to do so. 

However, this year I'm taking the jump. I took a tiny step last year and dressed as Donna from Doctor Who. It was simple. A pair of jeans from my closet, a grey shirt dress, large belt and a brown leather coat. I liked this because people who knew loved the costume, but for those who didn't, they just thought I was dressed normally. Kind of the best of both worlds. I didn't get overwhelmed. This year, I'm doing a gender bend of the 11th Doctor. Getting the tweed coat, and doing a skirt with tights and some heeled boots. And of course the red suspenders and bow tie. Maybe a fez (not sure if it will stay on my head). 

I'm working my way into things. Maybe next year I'll be more confident to do a version of Wonder Woman. She did get revamped shortly with a jacket and pants. 

Oh, and while I think about it, my first was actually a "street" version of Supergirl. All I did was take a pair of jeans, dye them red, wore a womens cut superman shirt, and a drawstring bag with a superman cape on it. Supergirl out and about during the day, like she was going to school type of thing. Again, only I knew I was dressed up, but it was a small stepping stone.

In short, you can do it. Just start simple (whatever simple is for you like others said) and go from there. 

And DC Bombshells is awesome!!!

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

On 5/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, tyrannosaurus rose said:

I've been to some cons where it's considered appropriate to run up to cosplayers - I'm talking total strangers here - and "glomp" them (jump-hug) if their costume doesn't look delicate... and other cons where people will come up to you all excited and respectfully ask for a photo. Going to the con without a costume can give you a feel for what to expect without putting you in the thick of it. 

I started cosplaying during college almost 15 years ago, and I've never been to a convention where glomping a stranger was acceptable.  Most reputable conventions will throw you out for glomping a friend, if it's too public.  Depending on the circumstances, you can get thrown out for touching a cosplayer without permission, or even arrested.

Recently, it's become official policy at most conventions that you can't even take pictures of a cosplayer without permission.

And as someone who loves both cosplay and cosplaying, I fully approve of these policies.  My friends and I put a lot of time and effort into our costumes, and we still end up with hot glue and safety pins to hold everything together at the last minute.  I don't need some random guy deciding my awesome rig deserves a slap on the back and breaking everything.  Or my female friends getting "accidentally" groped, so they don't want to come back next year.

So like the signs say, remember that "Cosplay is Not Consent" and show respect to your fellow con-goers.  And if you're cosplaying and someone's making you uncomfortable, go find a staff member or site security (or city police at the large conventions).  We want these conventions to be fun and safe for everyone, but sometimes a bad apple still sneaks in and needs to get removed.

Plus we're all nerds, which means a lot of us are extreme introverts.  Give us some breathing room. :playful:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

I started cosplaying during college almost 15 years ago, and I've never been to a convention where glomping a stranger was acceptable.  Most reputable conventions will throw you out for glomping a friend, if it's too public.  Depending on the circumstances, you can get thrown out for touching a cosplayer without permission, or even arrested.

I cannot express how delighted I am to hear this. 

The con I went to that regularly had a glomping issue was Fanime (San Jose). I went three years running in high school and every year it was totally exhausting and overwhelming, but it was the best option for a convention in my area and given my circumstances. 

One year I was cosplaying Misty (Pokemon) with a group and some girl shouted at me from across the room, sprinted over, jumped on me, and then walked away. After she left all of my friends told me they had assumed I knew her (I had never seen her before in my life). Since she walked away so quickly, I figured she had mistaken me for someone else, but she ended up following me around off and on for the rest of the day. She was a mess. That was the last year I went. But that kind of thing was common enough... the only time I saw a cosplayer getting any respect or distance it was a guy there as KH Sephiroth, and he had mechanized his wing. He could hardly take five steps without someone stopping him to ask for a demonstration they could video. 

(My mother, who has 0 interest in anime or anime conventions, recently told me Fanime is getting recognition as "NorCal's ComicCon" so I hope the culture there has changed significantly since I was attending.)

But since then I've visited SakuraCon (Seattle) and YaoiCon (SF) and neither had an issue (a huge relief). 

So @Hot Ocelot, don't listen to what I said before. Go cosplay, it'll be great. :D

• Like 2