• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Corbab

Bacon. Just bacon.

Your liver metabolizes uric acid just fine as long as it's healthy and you're not metabolically deranged. Get healthy first, of course, but provided you are in otherwise good paleo shape, uric acid should not be a problem. Robb Wolf covered that in podcast 84.

... and so as not to only speak ill of bacon, here's a post I did today on BACON. Enjoy and cook your bacon slow.

From your website you posted: "Bacon is low quality meat"

You shut your mouth right now and speak no ill of my bacon o_0 :)

From your website you posted: "Bacon is low quality meat"

You shut your mouth right now and speak no ill of my bacon o_0 :)

Sorry, dude. It's usually true (not that I also said that bacon is ALMOST always a bad cut from a poorly fed yadda yadda ... not all bacon is like that, hjust most).

If you bought high quality pork and made your own bacon, I don't see why you couldn't eat it every single day.

This.

I just made some sweetcure bacon from some organic belly pork and i know that all it has in it is meat, maple syrup, and salt. I'm not worried about the salt, because there's little to no evidence that its bad for you unless you're already hypertensive. It's also only minimally sweet since most of the maple syrup is wasted so i don't worry about the carbs either. I eat as much of it as physically possible :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I eat as much of it as physically possible :)

I have to say, that brought a tear to my eye.

I eat any and all bacon. Im not bothered by nitrates, but thats me. I usually have bacon 3-5 times a week.

My theory is bacon w/ nitrates is ALWAYS > refined grains.

Oz.

My theory is bacon w/ nitrates is ALWAYS > refined grains.

Not going to argue that one. While it's not sockeye salmon ;) , bacon's definitely better for you than the white toast with margarine that altogether too many people have as a part of their breakfast. It's also one hell of a lot better than a can of soda, or any of the 5312531 junk foods out there.

Not going to argue that one. While it's not sockeye salmon ;) , bacon's definitely better for you than the white toast with margarine that altogether too many people have as a part of their breakfast. It's also one hell of a lot better than a can of soda, or any of the 5312531 junk foods out there.

I have to agree with this. I have noticed how in the past by eating toast with butter, cereal, oatmeal actually makes me feel bloated and sluggish in the mornings whereas by eating eggs, bacon, etc actually gives me spunk I need in the morning to get my gears going for the day.

This.

I just made some sweetcure bacon from some organic belly pork and i know that all it has in it is meat, maple syrup, and salt. I'm not worried about the salt, because there's little to no evidence that its bad for you unless you're already hypertensive. It's also only minimally sweet since most of the maple syrup is wasted so i don't worry about the carbs either. I eat as much of it as physically possible :)

Please post the recipe! I may die from happiness!!

Would it hurt to eat bacon just a few times a week not like everyday and get the benefits form it while sticking to a Paleo regime?

I guess I was not 100% clear (or maybe you're not talking to me). Go ahead and eat bacon. All 3 meals if you want. It's not the best quality meat, usually, so take that into consideration, but it's way better than a big mac. Unless your diet is so dialed in that you're looking at the quality if the meat versus the other crap you're maybe eating, then I say you're fine.

I guess in some what this question was targeted to you but at the same time I welcome anyone else's comments. I love bacon, don't get me wrong... I am in the process of learning more about Paleo-type regime knowing that it will help me in the long run. Eat all the bacon I want? Wouldn't that be sweet! I guess there are so many opinions about bacon whether to incorporate in your diet and how much to incorporate. I guess to me, it is like wow. SO many people have different opinions, what is right or wrong?

*Off to researching more* Thanks anyways!

Please post the recipe! I may die from happiness!!

Ingredients:

1.5kg quality boneless pork (belly if you want streaky bacon, loin if you want meatier stuff)

500ml maple syrup

600g salt

Take the pork and put it in a nonmetal dish. Pour over half the maple syrup. Keep in the fridge, covered, for a day. Turn once or twice to make sure its all covered.

On day 2, take the pork out (keep the syrup!) and rub in half the salt. Put it back into the syrup. Leave for another day, turning a couple of times or so.

On day 3, wash off the salt and syrup and rinse your dish out. Put it back in the dish, and pour over the rest of the syrup and salt. Turn it a couple of times a day from now on.

On day 5, rinse off the syrup and salt. You now have bacon!

It's salty as all hell at this point, so I'd advise soaking the resulting meat in water for a few hours.

The result is a slightly sweet, slightly salty Bacon unlike anything you'll find in the shop. And not a nitrate or nitrite in sight! Omnomnomnomnom!

(One thing: if you use regular salt, it won't be pink like the bacon you get in shops. It still tastes the same though. If you want the pink colour you'll need to use about a sixth of the salt as pink curing salt (saltpetre, basically). I don't bother, because I don't see the need. Keep it simple, stupid :P)

Enjoy! (in vast quantity :))

Ingredients:

1.5kg quality boneless pork (belly if you want streaky bacon, loin if you want meatier stuff)

500ml maple syrup

600g salt

Take the pork and put it in a nonmetal dish. Pour over half the maple syrup. Keep in the fridge, covered, for a day. Turn once or twice to make sure its all covered.

On day 2, take the pork out (keep the syrup!) and rub in half the salt. Put it back into the syrup. Leave for another day, turning a couple of times or so.

On day 3, wash off the salt and syrup and rinse your dish out. Put it back in the dish, and pour over the rest of the syrup and salt. Turn it a couple of times a day from now on.

On day 5, rinse off the syrup and salt. You now have bacon!

It's salty as all hell at this point, so I'd advise soaking the resulting meat in water for a few hours.

The result is a slightly sweet, slightly salty Bacon unlike anything you'll find in the shop. And not a nitrate or nitrite in sight! Omnomnomnomnom!

(One thing: if you use regular salt, it won't be pink like the bacon you get in shops. It still tastes the same though. If you want the pink colour you'll need to use about a sixth of the salt as pink curing salt (saltpetre, basically). I don't bother, because I don't see the need. Keep it simple, stupid :P)

Enjoy! (in vast quantity :))

I... I.. I think I love you....