My Kid Has Stopped Sleeping!

A short background, my daughter is 14 months old and has been a really good night sleeper from day 1. Until 2 weeks ago she'd sleep 20:00-07:00 pretty much consistently, as much as any adult anyway. Less good at naps though, she naps in the morning but afternoons are very hit and miss. But I don't worry about afternoon naps if she seems happy enough. She's also very 

relaxed, doesn't really scream or cry that much.

But the last two weeks! It's like some one switches our kid at night! Happy during the day but the second the light goes off she goes full hysteria. In a way I'd never heard until this current issue. If she throws a tantrum during the day I'd say it's about half the volume of the nighttime noise. And nothing will calm her. Nothing that works during the day anyway. And if you're brave enough to pick her up she thrashes so hard there's a serious danger of dropping her or having her collide with the cot. She also now wakes up pretty much every hour or two, and where she used to babble to herself and sometimes whinge softly she bursts straight back into the screaming fits.

Basically, HELP! There's been no sleep in this house for 2 weeks and I'll take any advice I can get to restore her old pattern.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

My twins have acid reflux. It really only manifest itself at night with them. They would do they same thing. Arching and thrashing around until their pediatrician placed them on a reducer. I would have your pediatrician take a look at that. My oldest daughter also had night terrors for about a month starting at three. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do in the regard except let it pass, and it will.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas. Will look into the reflux. I wondered about night terrors but turning on the light doesn't seem to help so I'm presuming it isn't that. I just hope whatever it is passes soon :P

Battle Log:

Any chance she's teething?

It's also possible she's going through a really clingy phase.  Have you tried holding her until she goes to sleep, and not putting her down until you're sure she's soundly out?

One other though.  Have you changed laundry soap recently?  She might be sensitive to the residue from it, and it's particularly on her bedding/pjs and/or is too distracted during the day to complain.

Good luck!

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Have a 21 month old here, and it comes in spurts. Most of the times she's a great sleeper, but we've had 3-4 spurts of anywhere from 1-3 weeks where she wakes a lot, or refuses to go down. Some of it is separation anxiety, due to mental development and her missing mommy/daddy. Some of it has been teething. Friends' children have had the reflux issue.

For the separation anxiety, you can either look into sleep training, or do what many of us do, and let the kid in bed with you for a few hours, then place them back in the crib once they're out. For teething, dose of baby Tylenol before bed helps a lot.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks for all the feedback :D Nice to know we're not alone lol!

It was weird, tried everything and it would work for a night (or less) and then fail. Suddenly, last night she went down and just stayed asleep and the same tonight. All we changed was getting rid of her pillow. So weird. But yes, peace rains again! :D

Battle Log: