My April challenge has totally gone to hell and I don't want to wait until May to get back on track. I'll start this challenge at the two-week point with modified goals and prepare for the next one.

What happened? <rant ahead>

March was a disaster and I had to scrap that challenge. My mother-in-law passed away, which is a sad loss. She was 92 and her health took a sudden decline and she passed without long suffering, which is comforting. I am the trustee of her estate, so in addition to funeral/burial arrangements out of state, I was responsible for the business end of things. It's still ongoing, but under control.

In the midst of that, I came down with the worst cold I've ever had. Sore throat, chest congestion and cough--the works. Getting sick gets progressively more difficult to tolerate as we get older. I'm two weeks away from 63. (When did I get old?!?)

I had great plans for my April Challenge. I had some new ideas and approaches to my fitness goals. I was pumped for a successful kickoff to the New Me. It's my Birthday Month and I intended to devote the month to ME.

Wrong.

My brother had to go and get sick. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother very much.

That said; his contracting pneumonia and going to ICU couldn't have happened at a worse time for me and my challenge.

I know--I sound selfish and petulant.

When is a GOOD time to get pneumonia?  Mom died of pneumonia. My MIL had pneumonia when she passed a month ago. Now my baby brother has it! I couldn't bear losing him, too.

The good news is that my brother is at home and recovering very well. He has had to suspend his chemotherapy for a while (Multiple Myeloma and Leukemia), but he will get back on track once his lungs clear up.

So…while I'm still worried about him, I'm going to turn my focus back to me. And I'm going to try something totally different: I'm going to manage my expectations.

My starting point will be back a few levels, but I know I can make them up fairly quickly. If I can start May at the same point I started February, I'll be pleased. So for the rest of April, I'm keeping it simple: Eat Clean, Lift Heavy (for me), Practice Self Care, and step up my presence on NF forums.

Hi there, found your new challenge. Looks like a good solid plan for the rest of April. How is this week going? Hope your brother is doing better

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27