• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jediknightingale

Beginning Paleo Questions

After researching and figuring out what (I think) I want of my body, I decided being a vegetarian as originally planned will probably not be best for me (or my budget). Anyways I am starting Paleo on Sunday, except with no pork or fish. Can those just be substituted with another lean meat?

Also, because I am like -3 on a strength scale of 1-10, I starting with Boot Camp. My question is how many calories should I consume a day? I am female, 5'4' and 120lbs. I have been on a 500 calorie a day diet for a while now with no meat/dairy/bread. I pretty much eat vegetables/fruit/oats and drink water. I am concerned that if my body is in starvation mode (which it very well may be after eating squirrel mix) and I eat too many calories all of a sudden that I will gain a ton of weight. Especially because I am going to start with a very beginners workout, if I eat too much and am not burning many calories to begin with will that all end up as extra fat?

Okay, now for my last question. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can re-introduce foods (especially meat) to my system? Last night I had a steak and some asparagus with peppercorn gravy, barely ate 1/3 of my meal, and my stomach is trying to kill itself now. Also the peppercorns hurt my tongue.

Hey, great to hear you're doing this. it's a good call.

To answer your first question, yes you can skip pork and fish. if you're not avoiding fish for some religious reason (I can't think of any) I'd recommend supplementing with some fish oil, though, to get the Omega-3 you need. You can also eat a lot of grass fed beef and get the same effect. Grass fed butter (like Kerrygold) can work here, too.

Don't stress calories. Instead, make sure you eat a lot of protein and fat, with carbs for energy. If you want to shoot for some caloric intake, try ot be in the ballpark of 1500, if you're looking to build muscle. Just keep it to fats and protein, mostly, Sounds like you have a lean body type. You will likely not gain a ton of weight. And there really is no such thing as starvation mode in the way most people think of it. it's pretty much a myth. Really, just eat a good sized hunk of protein with each meal and cook it in fat. Add vegetables to taste. (do yourself a favor and get some coconut milk and coconut oil. That helps).

TBH, your body should not have a bad reaction to meat. If it does, it may be that you've got some Leaky Gut causing cross reactivity. Do yourself a favor and go pretty strict on this stuff for a while. Eat coconut as you can, because it's very healing to the gut. 30 days should tell you everything you need to know if you really do it. (Also, if the beef was a bit rough on you, start with chicken. I roast whole birds for dinner sometimes).

Start to add meat slowly, have a small piece of chicken. The white meat is not as 'heavy' as red meat. Give your body a chance to deal with the protein.

Stay away from extra strong spices that you haven't had in a while, if it doesn't feel right, stop it.

Know what you are are putting in. step up to, say, 800 calories for a bit and make sure you are doing something to help use it.

Good luck & let up know how it is all going.

If you were a veggie and you're eating meat again, go slow. Try some chicken broth, reintroduce some chicken in small quantities, a bit of beef in stir fry, etc. You don't want to suddenly shock your system. Since you'll be low on the meat for a while, make sure to get lots of nuts in the diet (or even cottage cheese if you're not doing a whole-30, to make sure you're supporting your workouts with protein. I may get shot down on this, but I've found it to be a reasonably good protein source and don't have too much of a reaction, personally. That gets into more primal than paleo though).

There are some things called bovine enzymes, or something, which are a gut suppliment for those who don't handle meat very well - I've heard they can help people who were not used to it and trying to get more protein.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it :) hopefully my stomach was just being the devil today. After a ton of water and a nap I felt much better. I'm still going to go slow with all other meats and check out the fish oil/papaya enzyme this weekend!