Malazan Book of the Fallen

Ah, I was reading book 3 when I first met my wife... book 8 when my first son was born.

There are many haunting moments in this series, and I think the T'lan Imass are one of my favourite creations in all of fantasy fiction (and I've read a lot of the stuff over the years). Basically a whole army of undead Neanderthal-like people who transformed their entire race [1] into that state way back in prehistoric times to defeat a horrible enemy. And they're still going, three hundred thousand years later...

[1] Except for a few stragglers who didn't make it to the ritual, and ended up becoming ancestors to both modern-day humans and several other races.

• Like 1

My goal was to complete the entire series this year.  And then I remembered I am starting school again in June, so that's definitely not happening, lol.

It blows me away how the author is able to connect so much information over such a huge amount of space.  Along with the T'lan Imass, I am also fascinated by the Tistii Andii and the glimpses the author gives of how their interactions with much shorter lived humans seems to re-spark in them renewed emotions beyond despair, and a sense of purpose.

I'll never forget where I was when Whiskeyjack died.  Ugh, my heart.

I ordered all ten books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series recently and am planning to read them all, one per month, until I'm done. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in coming along on the journey. A couple people helping to keep one another honest are a lot more likely to finish.

I've read through book five once but it's been a long break and even when I was actively reading the series I kind of knew I needed to reboot. I'm a slow reader so I'm planning on starting in September 2016 and doing one per month. Some of you faster folks could easily read the book of the month with me then read something else before the next book of the month.

I will also probably try to read the Reread of the Fallen posts as I go through.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

I'm not sure why I struggle so much with this series. It has come so highly recommended by so many people. I've tried reading the first multiple times. I even bought it on tape, thinking maybe listening to the words would help. But I'm so bogged down by it. There's too much going on for me, I think. I'm probably just not the epic fantasy sort.

"Mike! I found the chocolate pudding!"

Fitbit | Character | Battle | Challenge

On 8/20/2016 at 0:04 PM, Shibs said:

I'm not sure why I struggle so much with this series. It has come so highly recommended by so many people. I've tried reading the first multiple times. I even bought it on tape, thinking maybe listening to the words would help. But I'm so bogged down by it. There's too much going on for me, I think. I'm probably just not the epic fantasy sort.

I wouldn't assume that you're not an epic fantasy person based on this series. Even for epic fantasy, these books are long, there is a huge cast and things are not explained terribly well. Mistobrn: the Final Empire is a better place to start to explore epic fantasy.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter