I'm new around here and I love the idea of having an online Battle Log to consolidate my notes on nutrition and workout logs. This will also give me something to do before my first challenge and give me a place to organize my thoughts.

I'm a powerbuilder. I train for strength in the big three lifts, but I also eat and train to increase muscle size and overall look hot. To that end, I mix in bodybuilding workouts with my compound lifting and carefully monitor my macros with MyFitnessPal Premium. I do like to have a few drinks and a cheat meal with girlfriend once or twice a week. I've found that with lifting a lot and throwing in some quick high intensity cardio now and then, the extra calories are negligible.

To begin, I'll just put down my lifting program for the week and my macros for the day. I join the rebellion at a time when I am tweaking my programming, macros, and schedule.  This is a work in progress.  I'm also shopping for a new gym because my current one is overcrowded and full of shady people. My Slingshot Gangsta Wraps (awesome wrist wraps) got stolen during my last session. 

I intend to have something tentative for the next challenge and a summer routine finalized by the end of it. My goal is to gain strength while keeping my fat gain in check. I determine my macros based on my own empirical evidence and not an online calculator.

Workout Program - Week of 04/24/2016

Sunday:

Bench Press 5x5

Squat 3x3

Tuesday:

Chest, Shoulders, Arms, and Back BB Workout

20 minutes of Max Incline Treadmill Powerwalking

Thursday:

Bench Press 5x5

Squat 4x4

Saturday/Sunday (Not sure which one is going to work best yet):

Bench Press 3x5

Deadlift 5x5

Sunday's workout went as such (all weights are in lbs):

Bench Press: Warm Up / 5x5x225

Squat: Warm Up / 3x3x375

Tonight's BB workout at my apartment complex gym will look something like this (dumbbells only go up to 50):

Standing Dumbell Overhead Press: 3x10x50 SUPERSET Lat Pull-Downs 3x10x100

Dumbell Incline Press: 3x15x50

Seated Rows: 3x10xTBD (haven't done these in a while)

Dumbell Bench Press: 3x20x50

Hammer Curls: 3x10x35

Max Incline Treadmill Powerwalk: 20min

Time to hit up the gym. I'll get into my macros in another post. Later, nerds ;)

Lvl 2 Saiyan Warrior & Pokémon Master

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Last night, in the interest of time, I did a handful of supersets with minimal rest and dropped the 20min of treadmill. I'm going to start labeling these workouts by day, date, approximate time and location:

Tuesday, 04/26/2016, 9:00PM - Apartment Complex Gym - Bodybuilding Workout

Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press: 3x10x50

SUPERSET

Lat Pull-Downs 3x12x100

Dumbbell Incline Press: 3x20x50

SUPERSET

Lat Pull-Downs 3x10x100

Dumbbell Bench Press: 3x20x50

SUPERSET

Seated Rows: 3x12x85

Hammer Curls: 1x10x30, 1x13x25

SUPERSET

One Handed Cable Triceps Extension: 2x20x50

I got a great pump, I was sweating hard and my heart rate was up.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

It was a good day for lifting and eating. While I'm putting off shopping for a new gym, I developed a system that works with my ghetto gym. It's really close to where I work and I get off a little bit earlier than 5 on most days, so I can beat most of the working crowd. Unfortunately, my gym being what it is, there is still a substantial unemployed crowd, but it's more manageable. I can get in one good lift in under an hour before it starts filling up. I'll just split my bench/squat weekdays in two. I can deadlift on the weekend or more likely forego it until I get a new gym. It's my worst lift due to long torso/short limb leverages and I'd rather focus my energy on bench and squat at this time.

I have a new gym bag that never leaves my sight or a 3 foot radius of me. I put my a towel over it during my sets. I don't want to use their locker room because it's disgusting. I just ordered my replacement Gangsta Wraps. I might not bother using those until I get a new membership in the city where I live.  Here's what I did today:

Thursday, 04/28/2016, 5:00PM - Ghetto Commercial Gym - Bench Press Workout

45, 135, 185, 205 Warm Up

1x3x225

1x3x235

5x3x245

My bench isn't stellar, but it's getting better. My setup is improving with a better arch and more lat engagement. My form is improving as my elbows are not flaring as much. My wraps should be arriving on Saturday (I love Amazon Prime) so I intend to break them in with a 5x5 of 235 on Sunday.

Calories & Macros

Let's talk about calories and macros. My current plan has been working for me for the past month. My weight has been keeping steady at 210lbs. I am a 5'10, 28 year old male.

I haven't been doing much cardio lately, besides the once a week bodybuilding workout. That either involves supersets with minimal rest or 20 minutes of treadmill (5 minutes of warmup, 10 minutes of max incline at 2.5mph, 5 minutes of cooldown). I work at a desk most of the time, but I work at a million square foot plant, so when I do have to get to my car, go to lunch, go down to the machine floor, or even go to the bathroom, it's a bit of a walk and it almost always involves stairs. I have been doing 2 compound lifts on 3 days of the week on average.

I usually have 2-3 cheat meals and go out drinking once in a week. Cheat meals are large (last night was an entire fried calamari steak appetizer, lots of bread and spreadables, a rack of lamb, mashed potatoes and asparagus) and I have 3-5 drinks on the drinking night. The drinking night always coincides with a cheat meal or two, and then I have a cheat dinner at my mom and stepdad's place once a week. On the other 5 days of the week, these are my goals:

Calories: 2515

Protein: 220g

Carbs: 285g

Fat: 55g

My powerlifter friends told me to eat more fat because I'm not doing my testosterone levels any favors. The bodybuilder that I spoke to said my ratios are good, but my calorie intake should be higher. Any input would be appreciated. My goal is to get bigger and stronger without overbulking and getting fat. I'm OK with some fat gain as it comes with the territory of gaining muscle.

With my current routine I get a little bit stronger (~5lb increase on compounds) and a slightly more aesthetic (comparing progress pics) each week. My weight stays the same.

Today I nailed the current goal with:

Calories: 2494

Protein: 219g

Carbs: 283g

Fat: 54g

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Sunday, 05/01/2016, 4:00PM - Ghetto Commercial Gym - Bench Press & Deadlift Workout

Bench Press:

45 WU

135 WU

185 WU

1x205x6

1x225x3

WRAPS ON

2x245x4

1x245x3

1x245x2

Got a little over zealous when I accidentally grabbed 10's instead of 5's  and decided to roll with it, attempting a 4x4 of 245. I knew I didn't have another one in me on third set. On the fourth set, my leg cramped during my setup, but I kept going. On the third rep, I lost tightness and the bar drifted backward. With the bar on my chest, I had no choice but to dump the plates off the side. When I bench alone, I keep the collars off for this reason. I'll lift smarter in the future. I'm not going to increase the weight until I nail a 5x5x235. Annoyed by the bench workout, I decided to work it off with some deadlifts, because the "power cage" was open.

Deadlift:

135 WU - Overhand Grip

BELT ON

1x225x10 - Overhand Grip

1x315x6 - Mixed Grip 3/3 R/L Alternating Supinated Hand

3x5x365 - Mixed Grip 3/2 R/L Alternating Starting Supinated Hand Each Set

1x5x365 - Mixed Grip L Supinated

1x5x365 - Mixed Grip R Supinated

My small hands necessitate a mixed grip for working sets with anything over 225, so I alternate which hand I supinate mid set or between sets in order to not develop an imbalance. In the future, I will just do entire sets with one grip set up and alternate it between sets. This was my first time deadlifting in a while and my first time deadlifting with a belt. It felt good. I forgot how much of a crazy endorphin rush deadlifting gives me.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Tuesday, 05/03/2016, 5:00PM - Ghetto Commercial Gym - Bench Press Workout

45 WU

135 WU

185 WU

1 X 6 X 205

1 X 4 X 225

WRAPS ON

1 X 5 X 235

5 X 3 X 235

I was too tired for squats, so I benched. I haven't been getting enough sleep and I felt it in the first set of 235. I decided it would be best to leave one rep in the tank in each set and go for a 5X3. I'll try to get more rest and go for a 5X5X235 later in the week.

In personal news, my girlfriend and I broke up. We had been seeing each other for only about 2 months and neither of us were really into it at this point, so it's no big deal. This frees up my training schedule quite a bit and there will be less cheat meals for now. Revised training schedule for the remainder of the week is as follows:

Tue: Squat 5X5X350

Wed: Bodybuilding

Thu: Squat 3X3X380

Fri: Bench 5X5X235

Sat: Rest

Ordered SlingShot compression cuffs and STrong knee sleeves.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

23 hours ago, sweetale said:

Tue: Squat 5X5X350

Wed: Bodybuilding

Thu: Squat 3X3X380

Fri: Bench 5X5X235

Sat: Rest

When you're so physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted that you forget what day of the week it is... I squatted today, so here's the actual plan for the rest of the week:

Thu: Bodybuilding

Fri: Squat 3X3X380

Sat: Bench 5X5X235

Here's what I did today:

Wed, 05/04/2016, 5:00PM - Ghetto Commercial Gym - Squat Workout

45 WU

135 WU

225 WU

BELT ON

1X4X315

1X2X335

5X5X350

Pretty pleased with my Star Wars Day lift. I didn't sleep well last night, but I managed to muddle through the sets. I have a funny video from the workout that I'll link to when I have a moment this weekend.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

My sleep schedule got all kinds of messed up the past few days and I stayed out of the gym. Got back on track with some bench and deads before an epic Mother's Day buffet. Got to take my new compression cuffs for a spin. They feel good and help me keep tight. I lifted with my two gym buddies and they said my bench form has increased dramatically.

Sunday, 05/08/2016, 12:00PM - Ghetto Commercial Gym - Bench Press and Deadlift Workout

Bench Press:

45 WU

135 WU

185 WU

1X6X205

WRAPS ON

5X5X235

Deadlift:

135 WU

225 WU

275 WU

BELT ON

1X4X335

3X5X385

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Saturday, 07/02/2016 - Respawn

I completed the challenge in the last post and disappeared from the forums. I kept training, but logged my workouts in my phone and more recently with pen and paper. I missed the forums so now I'm back! I just got over the stomach flu and finally was able to eat north of 2500 calories today. I'll be back in the gym tomorrow to go for 5X5's of bench and squat and I'll be shooting to eat about 3000 calories per day. I'll go more into detail on my macros in a future post.

Before I got sick, things were going pretty well. I only deadlifted once in the past two months due to issues that I have since remedied, but squat and bench had been progressing nicely. I phased out my bodybuilding style accessory days and started doing high volume OHP instead. My most recent rep PRs are as follows:

Squat: 3X3X415lbs

Bench: 5X3X260lbs

Deadlift: 4X3X405lbs

OHP: 3X8X165lbs

I'm excited to get back at it tomorrow! I lost 6lbs due to illness and am interested to see where my strength is at after not training for a week. Gonna cash in on some serious sleep tonight and eat a big breakfast.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Sunday, 07/03/2016 - Nutrition & Life Goal

Lowering the calories a bit since eating at around 3300 with full cheat days was making me fat. Keeping the goals loose as I feel things out:

Calories: 2900-3000

Protein: At least 200g

Fat: Between 25-30% of my calories

Carbs: Unrestricted as long as the above are met

Cheat meals: Pizza Wednesday at work and one per weekend

Life goals:

- Stop my horrible nail biting habit

- Read The Art of Lifting and The Science of Lifting by Greg Nuckols

- Read Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovich

Heading to the gym in an hour!

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Sunday, 07/03/2016 - Training Session: Fitness Center 3:00PM

Went for 5X5's on Bench and Squat and finished with OHP to get used to that movement again. My strength hadn't dropped off nearly as much as I had expected. I completed squat and almost completed bench with 5lbs less than my best 5X5's. OHP dropped off quite a bit, but I was pretty fatigued by that point in the session.

Here's what I did:

Bench:

45, 135, 185, 225 WU

/Compression Cuffs and Wrist Wraps On/

4X5X245

1X4X245 - Lost tightness in my setup halfway through the set and racked it after 4

Squat:

45, 135, /Knee Sleeves On/ 225 , /Belt On/ 315, 335, 355 WU

5X5X375

OHP:

45, 95, /Compression Cuffs and Wrist Wraps On/ 135 WU

1X4X155

2X6X145

6lbs down, my face and gut look noticeably thinner and with those numbers, stomach flu wasn't the worst thing that could've happened to me. Pleased to be back on the grind.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Monday, 07/04/2016 - Rest Day and Cheat BBQ

Happy 4th of July!!

My approach to days with cheat meals will be to log the rest of the food like any other day just to make sure I'm getting enough protein and make the non cheat meals similar to the usual. Given that I'm going to a BBQ tonight, I don't think protein will be an issue.

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Thought the next challenge thread was open and posted this on accident. This will be the template for what I am currently doing and for the next challenge when it officially starts:

What's up, nerds? I'm back for another go.

A little background for those who don't know me: I train for strength in the powerlifting lifts, but for the moment I don't compete. This will likely change once I establish more order in my professional and personal life. I train for health, looks, confidence, and the thrill of it. I am a disciple of IIFYM - no paleo, clean eating, or what have you. I'm an engineer, so I take an analytical approach to fitness.

I finished my first challenge, but got really busy toward the end and never wrote up my reflections on it.

In a nutshell, I learned the following:

• My self-made programming is working, but I've made a few refinements, eliminating my "bodybuilding" accessory days in favor of incorporating OHP and barbell rows back into my program. I started with StrongLifts 5X5 and what I do has evolved out of there.
  • I want to increase my knowledge and wisdom regarding strength training and programming.
  • I've been eating too much and have been sloppy with my cheat meals. This was particularly true after the conclusion of the challenge I did back in May. At my worst I was 219lbs at 5'10. A nasty past week of stomach bug brought me down to 208, which I've been holding at for the past two days even after bringing my calories back up. I look a lot better and oddly enough, didn't get much weaker. I am seeking to lose more fat.
  • I may have mild insomnia, so my sleep goal was futile. Things have improved since the last challenge, but I am not going to force a sleep goal. I will get into bed when my daily tasks are complete and sleep as it comes to me.
  • Having three gym memberships is awesome and I've learned how to take advantage of the strengths of each one at their least crowded hours.

Main Quest

Increase strength in the powerlifts without becoming too fat. "Too fat" for the moment is a self assessment of how I look and feel. I aim to make it more quantifiable in the future.

Quest Goals

1. Training - Perform the following lifts each week:

Squat 1: Performed at the beginning of the week - Sets of 4 if I just increased the weight / Complete a 5X5 before increasing the weight 5lbs.

Bench 1: Performed at the beginning of the week - Sets of 4 if I just increased the weight / Complete a 5X5 before increasing the weight 5lbs.

Squat 2: Performed after Squat 1 and Bench 1 - Doubles if I just increased the weight / Complete a 5X3 before increasing the weight 5lbs.

Bench 2: Performed after Squat 1 and Bench 1 - Doubles if I just increased the weight / Complete a 5X3 before increasing the weight 5lbs.

Deadlift: Performed on the weekend after a rest day. Start with triples until I can work up to a 5X5 before increasing the weight 10lbs. I haven't been deadlifting that much, so I just came up with this - I will make adjustments as necessary.

OHP: Performed during the same training session as one of the bench days (depending on equipment availability).

3X6-8 trying to increase the weight by 5lbs as I can.

Barbell Rows: Performed during the same training session the other bench day. 3X6-8 trying to increase the weight by 5lbs as I can.

2. Macros - Track daily with MyFitnessPal. Two cheat meals, not days, allowed per week: Pizza Wednesday at work and one per weekend.

Calories: 2900-3100kcal

Protein: At least 200g

Fat: 25-30% of my daily calories

Carbs: Unrestricted as long as the above are met

Adjust as necessary based on strength, appearance, knowledge gained.

3. Reading - Read three books this challenge:

• The Art of Lifting by Greg Nuckols
  • The Science of Lifting by Greg Nuckols
  • Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovich

4. Nail Biting - Stop doing it.

I'll be photographing my nails at the end of each week to keep myself accountable

Battle Log /Challenge 1

Tuesday, 07/05/2016

AM Weigh-In: 213lbs

Training Session: Bench, OHP, Dips - Fitness Center 8:00PM

Bench:

WU - 45, 135, 185, 225

/ Wraps On /

5X5X245

OHP:

/ Wraps & Belt On /

3X8X145

BW Dips

12, 10, 7

I'm adding in dips now once per week. The 5X5 was harder than I expected, but I completed it. The final rep of almost every set was a grinder. OHP was moving well. Both lifts get bumped up 5lbs for the next time. I'll be sticking with 5X5 bench until I'm back to my pre stomach flu 255.

Macros

Calories: 2877

Protein: 230g

Fat: 77g - 24%

Carbs: 316g

Calories and fat were a little low.

Battle Log /Challenge 1