I have the exact same problem with down pillows.  Cool at first, but the inevitable Poor Neck Angle.

I've been using my microwavable neck pillow religiously after I wake up for about 15 minutes.... for about a week now.  It's helped immensely with that morning tension, even sleeping on a hotel pillow this weekend, I had no ill side effects.  Trial and error, forever....

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

3 hours ago, shaarawy said:

I have the exact same problem with down pillows.  Cool at first, but the inevitable Poor Neck Angle.

I've been using my microwavable neck pillow religiously after I wake up for about 15 minutes.... for about a week now.  It's helped immensely with that morning tension, even sleeping on a hotel pillow this weekend, I had no ill side effects.  Trial and error, forever....

Dad gave me a memory foam one to try with a heavy caveat that it might not be the best. I'd just like to try one to satisfy my curiosity. 

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

5-8-2016

tumblr_o6wye5IXuY1uwp4jpo1_500.gif

This supplement is punk rock

Lifting

Mind the knees; mind the back

Rest day~

Ukemi

Roll 5x per side

See above.

Food

Protein: 5/20 - 123g

Mother’s Day dinner = all the protein ever.

Working theory: Dairy issues might have been caused by magnesium issues! Rationale: an abundance of calcium causes epic perpetual tension. Milk is a huge source of calcium. Body knows this and was trying to tell me to lay off. Also, the comments in this. So I’m not alone in this theory.

Running headlong with this theory, I had cheese and crackers using Ricotta. Note for the future: a good vehicle for tuna.

Sleep

Lights out: 12:15AM -- 7/10

Wake up: 10:00AM -- 10/10

So, full disclosure, I got up in the night again, but I blame it more on the cat sitting on my pillow, squishing it out of shape, and giving me the tensions. Also, it wasn’t an “emergency” situation, as it is usually... Luckily standing up a minute and resetting the pillow sorted that out. Take two with same vitamin strategy...

Mobility

No slouching

Days since last tension headache: 4

Neck mobility: 7/28

Stretch and mobilize: 7/28

I am going to clean the bathroom thoroughly, for it is my spa zone and it must look like such. Ironically, I’m going to call it quits on consecutive epsom salt baths and figure out a routine pending my skin responding favorably to the supplementation, because it’s not entirely loving the soaking.  Go figure.

Re: actual mobility things, anterior and posterior neck and pec/delts were addressed.

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

MAY WEEK 1 DEBRIEF

tumblr_o6gpiqtIE11uzg351o1_500.jpg

This is a funeral for my neck problems, consider yourself invited

Lifting

Proceeding as expected, with interrupted sleep my recovery is iffy. Not much to it at this moment.

Ukemi

All the rolling, all of the time. I have finally figured out how to do both forward and back rolls, and actually like back rolls better, somehow.

Food

Protein: 119g on average! Now if I can just get some sleep, I could tell if this is making a difference.....

Sleep

Could have been better, what with all the interruptions nearly every night #fail I think it's due to my supplement timing.

Mobility

I've developed a four day streak of no tension headaches, solved my tension problem with magnesium supplementation, and my mobility needs are slightly reduced yet I can actually tell a difference afterward!

And there was much rejoicing. 

I no longer need a dedicated neck mobility quest and will drop it.

• Like 2

On 8.5.2016 at 6:15 PM, Urgan said:

Ukemi

Roll 5x per side

Did the thing x 2. Seriously, I blew this quest out of the water. This isn’t work, this is fun. It almost makes one feel like it doesn’t count, you know??

Isn't that the BEST?!!!! Woot woot for getting yourself to this stage, now keep rocking it and do count it!! :triumphant:

On 8.5.2016 at 6:15 PM, Urgan said:

Neck tension down, will to live up.

the essentials that make such a huge difference! Oh boy, what a thing to CELEBRATE, squeeeeeee

Happily attending that funeral :D

And what an awesome week 1 you did so far, you are killing it alll!!

Just keep getting better, you are, go Urgan :)

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

5-9-2016

tumblr_nkjyc3kZA11up6llko1_500.gif

Belated Mother's Day Pool Time...

Lifting

Active rest. Went swimming with mom for 30-45 minutes, it was freezing and quite tiring. Mom wanted to learn how to float on her back and didn't feel confident enough to do it by herself (ironically she can nail floating head-down...). So we did that, she did the thing, I apparently can still do the thing.

Ukemi

Roll 5x per side

Aikido night! My very first maybe-injury in Aikido! Yay! We worked on pistol takeaways using kotegaeshi. THIS is how it’s done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll1GCzl4Bxg

We started with a warm-up review of the technique, then did takeaways from the front, added atemi, and then from the back, with some slight variations here and there, including arm bar by way of pinning uke’s arm against our ribs as we pivot just prior to the actual throw. We also switched partners a lot, which gave me some experience being uke for higher belts (I was the lowest in the room this time). A blue belt was particularly aggressive about that armbar. At one point I held the fake gun to the back of his head, he grabs me in kotegaeshi grip, and really gives me the armbar. I feel a pop in that elbow like someone flicked the back of it, but otherwise I carry through the technique. This probably was due to the fact that something went wrong with the direction he spun, because I ended up in front of him before he could throw. Sensei was very attentive to the fact that it didn’t seem to go right even though he had to monitor the whole room, and I made the executive decision to quit while I was well ahead. Ironically, blue belt did the same thing to his wife. They came up to me to make sure no permanent harm was done and I assured them that I would live to fight another day.

CUE TIGER BALM AND ELBOW SLEEVE.

Food

Protein: 6/20 - 138g

Taking supplements late at night to try to deal with the nocturnal bathroom trips... (spoiler: ...4AM, hello again)

Sleep

Lights out: 11:45PM -- 8/10

Wake up: 8:50AM -- 9/10

Despite waking up in the middle of the night yet again, I felt okay enough. Swimming was exhausting, but no naps. NO NAPS FOR ME.

Mobility

No slouching

Days since last tension headache: 5

Stretch and mobilize: 8/28

Stretching at the dojo, neck mobilization only today~ Some bobbing around in the pool, mostly floating, a little doggy paddle. Very gentle stuff.

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Isn't that the BEST?!!!! Woot woot for getting yourself to this stage, now keep rocking it and do count it!! :triumphant:

the essentials that make such a huge difference! Oh boy, what a thing to CELEBRATE, squeeeeeee

Happily attending that funeral :D

And what an awesome week 1 you did so far, you are killing it alll!!

Just keep getting better, you are, go Urgan :)

YEAH!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Urgan said:

I've developed a four day streak of no tension headaches, solved my tension problem with magnesium supplementation, and my mobility needs are slightly reduced yet I can actually tell a difference afterward!

And there was much rejoicing. 

I no longer need a dedicated neck mobility quest and will drop it.

That is AWESOME.  And the dairy thing, wow, I would not have guessed.

If the soaking's not great, maybe head onto Amazon and look for a magnesium lotion/oil/spray and be pretty generous for a while.  (Especially around the neck and shoulders.)  They're a little drying on the skin, I hear, but for a month to bring you back to normal, might do the job.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

That is AWESOME.  And the dairy thing, wow, I would not have guessed.

If the soaking's not great, maybe head onto Amazon and look for a magnesium lotion/oil/spray and be pretty generous for a while.  (Especially around the neck and shoulders.)  They're a little drying on the skin, I hear, but for a month to bring you back to normal, might do the job.

The timing of my dairy issues is mighty suspicious. We'll see.

I think it'll be fine to soak every now and then, we'll see. Multivitamin might take care of it so it'll be a non-issue. I'm hoping the same thing will be true of the 4AM wake-up time, detox??

I think you gave me your neck issues.

(kind of, I know exactly from where mine are stemming, but it seems yours disappeared the same time mine appeared)

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

20 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I think you gave me your neck issues.

(kind of, I know exactly from where mine are stemming, but it seems yours disappeared the same time mine appeared)

tumblr_menajm0Wnv1r8dxa5.gif

On 5/7/2016 at 0:13 PM, Urgan said:

Sleep and relaxing are the hardest things on this earth. Ironic, isn't it? 

Yep. It should be so easy to just lie down in a comfy spot in a dark room and fall asleep. It used to be for me. WTF?

On 5/8/2016 at 11:15 AM, Urgan said:

Ukemi

Roll 5x per side

Did the thing x 2. Seriously, I blew this quest out of the water. This isn’t work, this is fun. It almost makes one feel like it doesn’t count, you know??

Yay! I'm glad you are enjoying the ukemi. Part of my brain knows that ukemi uses muscles, but I don't think of it that way at all. I think of it as movement that feels good on my back. Plus the awesome flying through the air.

On 5/9/2016 at 1:21 PM, Urgan said:

Working theory: Dairy issues might have been caused by magnesium issues! Rationale: an abundance of calcium causes epic perpetual tension. Milk is a huge source of calcium. Body knows this and was trying to tell me to lay off. Also, the comments in this. So I’m not alone in this theory.

Mobility

No slouching

Days since last tension headache: 4

Neck mobility: 7/28

Stretch and mobilize: 7/28

I am going to clean the bathroom thoroughly, for it is my spa zone and it must look like such. Ironically, I’m going to call it quits on consecutive epsom salt baths and figure out a routine pending my skin responding favorably to the supplementation, because it’s not entirely loving the soaking.  Go figure.

Interesting observations about calcium and magnesium. I've been drinking filtered water because I prefer the taste. Our neighborhood gets well water that contains a lot of minerals. Now I'm going to go research which minerals are in our water. I might have a simple way to increase my magnesium intake.

Yay for four days without tension headaches!

I would expect having epsom salts in the bath to help your skin because the salt makes the osmotic balance similar to your skin. When the balance is perfect there your skin has no loss or gain of water from soaking. Does adding oil to the water help?

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Yay! I'm glad you are enjoying the ukemi. Part of my brain knows that ukemi uses muscles, but I don't think of it that way at all. I think of it as movement that feels good on my back. Plus the awesome flying through the air.

Whee~ I avoided the versions that impacts my upset elbow, but otherwise today was a pretty good day for ukemi.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Interesting observations about calcium and magnesium. I've been drinking filtered water because I prefer the taste. Our neighborhood gets well water that contains a lot of minerals. Now I'm going to go research which minerals are in our water. I might have a simple way to increase my magnesium intake.

Yay for four days without tension headaches!

I would expect having epsom salts in the bath to help your skin because the salt makes the osmotic balance similar to your skin. When the balance is perfect there your skin has no loss or gain of water from soaking. Does adding oil to the water help?

Calcium and magnesium balance on a scale, too much of one means Trouble. The human body is all zen like that.

TENSHUN B GONE.

My skin is weird, it's all vitamin deficient or something, turns red and inflamed with soakings. I figure a good soak every now and again won't kill me while I see if this multi is gonna help matters. I can't tell you about the bath oil yet because too many variables (the fizzy spa thing might have interfered). It made my skin super silky smooth, but then I was BAD itchy late at night. Lately I've managed to skate by without slathering myself with moisturizer. YAY THAT. Tonight I shall soak with epsom salt and bath oil and we shall see the results!

Oh and I drank a cup of milk + protein powder the day after a large foo-foo coffee, we'll see if I get leprosy and die or something~ I love this game of eating a thing and watching what happens. It's a lot more fun without the TENSHUNS complicating matters.  

• Like 3

EEEP!!!! GOOD LUCK...

But by the time you see this the proper question will be HOW DID IT GO!?!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

30 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

EEEP!!!! GOOD LUCK...

But by the time you see this the proper question will be HOW DID IT GO!?!

Akdkrjrjfgodooaf! £×*=

It would just be a temp position, but seems cool. I am SO bad at determining how it went. I liked the people, I can do the job, we had a nice conversation, but that means very little in the final analysis. You know? Hard stuff.

• Like 1

Had that conversation yesterday as Mr. J also had a job interview. I was talking to one of my friends here at work (HR) and she was like it's so hard to tell too.... you can have a great feeling and everything could have been perfect, but for just some reason there is one tiny little thing that is wrong, or somebody else does something just a little bit better.

Not intending to make you feel bad or anything.. but FINGDING JOBS ARE HARD YO. I wish you luck, but if you don't get it, don't get down on yourself.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Had that conversation yesterday as Mr. J also had a job interview. I was talking to one of my friends here at work (HR) and she was like it's so hard to tell too.... you can have a great feeling and everything could have been perfect, but for just some reason there is one tiny little thing that is wrong, or somebody else does something just a little bit better.

Not intending to make you feel bad or anything.. but FINGDING JOBS ARE HARD YO. I wish you luck, but if you don't get it, don't get down on yourself.

It's so hard when you think you really hit it off. I don't know anymore, it's either "nope that was a definite fail" or default "that didn't seem so bad"...

• Like 1

5-10-2016

Red-Lionfish-in-the-Caribbean-365x235.jp

Maybe I'm a lion.

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

70 1x3

95 1x2

115 1x1

138 6x3 - belted

BP -     NA

OHP -  NA

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

165 1x3 - belted

PC -   NA

Squats felt way better today than last week. I decided to go easy by nixing upper body for today, given the minor stress of those light deadlifts, probably a good call. (Futurenote: yes.)

Ukemi

Roll 5x per side

I stayed away from ukemi that might affect my left elbow, otherwise aces. Not that I’m counting it against me. Sensei called to check up on my elbow, he seemed kinda worried, lol.

Food

Protein: 7/20 - 138g

Yup, hit 138 two days in a row. What’re the odds, huh? Anyway, chicken and gnocchi dumplings for dinner! Quick, easy, winning it.

Sleep

Lights out: 11:15PM -- 7/10

Wake up: 9:25AM -- 10/10

I got in bed kinda beat up from Aikido, woke up not even thinking about my neck from the bed to the bathroom. Do you know what that means? NO STIFFNESS, NO MISERY. My lifts seemed better, so I guess I don’t care if I have to get up so long as I don’t have the force production of an invalid.

Mobility

No slouching

Days since last tension headache: 6

Stretch and mobilize: 8/28

Not too much mobility work due to not wanting to put undue stress on the elbow, but neck ROM stretches and foot mobility I can do. My right calf/ankle/foot is tight, but no complaints here. Where I will complain is how I wish I could go back in time and not have soaked in the tub. I sat for about 15 minutes in epsom + sesame body oil then got a shower and wow was that a mistake. Not sure if the transfer was the problem (being too slow to get back under water or pat dry) or the combination of what I was soaking in, but I will never do that again ‘til this skin thing is sorted out. Scratched myself red and weepy, yay…

1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

Hope the skin issues and the elbow get sorted out quickly otherwise just being your awesome self doing a yet again awesome challenge!

Gonna tell you something, I hit 156 protein twice in a row last days... You mentioned coincidence?

Especially considering the same things were not eaten!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Most of mine are either yay or nay.  The last one was a keep it in the file the past four months kind of nay and I have since slipped into DEFCON 4.

Stupid meeting this morning.  The scheduling guy talked about maybe my replacement coming on board.  I said I'm hopeful. :P

That dude *does* know it's my favorite joke.  Right?

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

13 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Most of mine are either yay or nay.  The last one was a keep it in the file the past four months kind of nay and I have since slipped into DEFCON 4.

Stupid meeting this morning.  The scheduling guy talked about maybe my replacement coming on board.  I said I'm hopeful. :P

That dude *does* know it's my favorite joke.  Right?

Let's hope it's still just a joke, lol.

• Like 1

I hope you get an offer out of the interview, that your elbow recovers quickly and that you figure out what is irritating your skin.

Maybe the sesame body oil? In my experience, epsom salts are neutral in the bath. My skin gets less wrinkly when I use epsom salts, but it doesn't feel drier or more moisturized. I usually just rinse off with water after soaking - no soap or body oil is involved.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

12 hours ago, Urgan said:

Let's hope it's still just a joke, lol.

If not, then it is their business.  They interviewed a perfect replacement (one of my buddies who lives on the West Coast) about a year and a half ago, but did not pull the trigger.  Their business. :lol:

No idea what MM's work is like for comparison or any of the other NF engineers.  Here is an analogy:

Going back to Tuesday evening, one of my work sets might take 30 seconds and I might rest for three minutes in between.  So if you pop by momentarily, there is an 86% probability you see me just standing around and talking to the cute girl and you might get the impression that's all you ever do at the gym.

My job involves a lot of thinking.

I don't know.  Let me think about it.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP