125 1x1

144 6x3 - belted

BP -    NA

OHP - 45 1x3 - belted

59 3x3 - belted

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

175 2x3 - belted

PC -   NA

This felt, for the most part, like garbage. Except the deadlifts. Deadlifts were easy. In case you were wondering my position on lifting while fasted is, don't. I had to take Maggy back to the vet and while I was out went to the gym, precluding food intake beforehand. Agh. Never again. Also, 11 is not a good time to show up, it was packed. Lunchtiem traffic for the lose. I'm giving OHP one more chance, but it probably needs to go TM--these sets were UGLY.

Aikido

I am going to stair-step back into practicing all ukemi. Today I began with the safest of the lot, back rolls. They felt fine, so I'm optimistic forward rolls will be fine.

Recovery

Protein: 1/20 - 121g

Biscuits: 0/2

Chicken and fries, chicken and rice, eggs, and some deli meat made this happen. I don't have a recipe for this particular chicken and rice yet as it was pretty much handed to me by mom on Memorial Day, lol. 

Sleep was spotty at best, I woke up twice, had to get up to use the bathroom because wow has my body been craving water. Like, 8 cups craving it. I ended up taking a tiny nap on the couch mid-afternoon, sigh. 

I did a lot of stretching this time--marichi's pose, down dog, chaturanga, cobra, child's pose, cat, cow, kneeling, and one whose name I forgot. Flexed and extended my feet multiple repetitions from sitting to get my calves. Rocked back and forth and side to side on my back. Rolled quads and hamstrings for the lulz because my left knee wasn't the biggest fan of this day's lifting session--for once we're in agreement. 

Adulting

Okay wow, so I was 100% all about taking Maggy to the vet the previous night, but when morning came I was conflicted. She was walking with a pronounced limp and still wouldn't "talk" to me like she normally does, in the morning it had seemed to mostly disappear. I took her anyway, which as I said meant not eating anything until around 1:30 because I didn't want my vitamins to be nerfed. The vet's phone system (and payment system...) was down, so I had to just take her in and drop her off for the day. Went to the gym, got lunch, came home and ate it, then collapsed on the couch for several hours. Somewhere in there I cleaned out old food from the fridge and did some miscellaneous chores. Went and picked Maggy up--she was treated with an antibiotic and a steroid on the idea she might have mild infection from Harley getting after her constantly--he does like to ambush her from behind several times per day. It's getting better, but he's still very much a kitten who just happens to be bigger than her. She got home and immediately started acting like herself, which isn't shocking given what steroids can do. It's good to have her back. 

Otherwise, I sat on the couch and watched old-school Sonic let's play videos. Derp. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

6 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Glad the steroids are helping! Hopefully she's back to her old self when they wear off, as well.

I hope her acting better before I even took her is a sign this is a foregone conclusion, but that is a reservation until 10 days from now when the last vestige of the meds they gave her wear off. 

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

6-1-2016

tumblr_o8564taoO61vnghdeo1_500.jpg

The fuel of champions

Lifting

-

Aikido

Aikido night~ Shihonage irimi and we alllllmost got to tenkan before Sensei introduced a drill on one way to escape from an attacker who is straddling you. That was special. I think I am getting a grip on irimi version at least. Jammed middle left toe from being an unfortunate uke and a rubbed spot on my other food from scraping the mat too much. Oops. Must fix.

Recovery

Protein: 2/20 - 115g

So far this isn’t my week for blowing away protein quota, but I am making it for the most part, and that’s all that matters.

Sleep...bah. What is that even? A loooong stretch of tossing and turning before realizing i needed to use the bathroom. That tends to help.

Massage day proved some things I already knew---I have a tight left hip/glute, right shoulder blade, and left thumb--and some things I didn’t: my forearms and calves were RIDICULOUSLY knotty. The massage therapist ran thumb and forefinger down the middle of my forearms and wow was that painful. You could get classified information out of somebody with that trick...

Adulting

Applied to a handful of jobs. Cleaned out a nozzle from a spray bottle (it briefly held apple juice for the grilling on Monday, normally it’s used as a way to discipline misbehaving cats...I don’t want apple juice sprayed all over our stuff, lol.

6-2-2016

tumblr_o84smlyrw11qex2qzo1_500.jpg

The bar is less intimidating set up for deadlifts than it once was

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

70 1x3

95 1x2

125 1x1

144 4x3 - belted

BP -    45 1x5 - belted

50 1x3 - belted

60 1x1 - belted

70 4x3 - belted

OHP - NA

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

177.5 2x3 - belted

PC -   NA

This felt a bit better than Tuesday. I am noticing bar path issues at this weight, though, and have been working to actively correct them. Rest of the session was cake. I’m feeling better about deadlifts, for a while I had PTSD from all the failure at the 205/207lb level--it really threw me for a loop. Hopefully my recovery is sufficient to smash those numbers when I get back to them. Bench felt easy, as 70lbs should feel, by all rights.  

Aikido

Forward L/R - 3/3

Backward L/R - 2/2

Breakfall L/R - 2/2

S. Breakfall L/R - 2/2

Knee Walk F/B - 4/.5

I did a minimum of 2 reps per side with good form except for Side breakfalls, wherein I just did 2 each as a test to see if I can manage that much without hurting myself, lol. They all felt pretty solid, though I’m still working on optimizing head position with minimal dizziness upon righting myself at the end of the roll. I get a kick (harr) out of back rolls, they are the best. Breakfalls are wonky and I’m still getting the hang of feeling comfortable doing them. Side breakfalls...lol. Right side is sorta kinda almost okay, left side it’s like, what even, how I do? Kinda sad. Ah well, it was my first solo attempt on left side and it’s been a week since I’ve last inverted myself, so I’m not gonna beat myself up too much, though it is in my nature to do so.

The units for knee walks in this case are in yoga mat lengths. I just can’t do backward knee walking on the yoga mat, too much friction. Will attempt on the gym mats next time. Ah well, it was a productive half yoga mat length, as I think I have a breakthrough on how this whole knee walking thing works, thanks to this super-helpful video:

Recovery

Protein: 3/20 - 121g

Three cheers for getting over the bare minimum… We made the chicken soboro donburi again, this time cooking the rice in the pressure cooker instead of the microwave. Best. Decision. Ever. It made the meal. Oh and smoothie and tuna. I’m actually liking this whole make your own cold drink thing okay. I don’t wish I had some other drink and I can put coconut oil in it, which boosts the caloric value of the drink by...a lot. 200~ calories or so. Tastes like winning.

Adulting

Clean day. I folded the latter half of the towels, cleaned out the microwave, which in turn meant I had to clean off the stovetop (microwave is above oven, can’t help dropping debris onto the stove while cleaning it out), and finished off the effort by disinfecting the countertop. Did a little career research, just surfing the internets for info, not applying to any jobs this time. Job market is the PITS, man.

• Like 1

6-2-2016

tumblr_o84smlyrw11qex2qzo1_500.jpg

The bar is less intimidating set up for deadlifts than it once was

OMG!  Wow!  Gratz on four plates!

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Job market is the PITS, man.

Yikes!  Alternative careers?  Freelance NF articles?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Just now, Sam Ashen said:

Yikes!  Alternative careers?  Freelance NF articles?

Alternative job possibilities in the event I can't secure the one I want before our funds run dry, yes....

6-3-2016

tumblr_o8213xHAkt1rk8uumo1_500.jpg

Job market got me all like

Lifting

-

Aikido

-

Recovery

Protein: 4/20 - 116g

Chicken soboro don leftovers and a Moe’s burrito round out today’s meals. Nothing exciting, but it did taste good.

Sleep...well, it was as broken as usual, but I got up at a good time. I didn't nap this time for once.

Mobility...lol. Whoops, did next to none. Some neck stretches, nothing more.

3/27/16                                  6/3/16

Weight: 112.0 lbs                  Weight: 115.0 lbs (+3.0")

Waist: 23.0"                           Waist: 23.0" (NA)

Hips: 31.5"                             Hips: 32.0"  (+.5")

Biceps(L/R): 10.0"/9.8"          Biceps(L/R): 9.9"/10.0" (-.1”, +.2”)

Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/9.0"         Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/8.9" (NA, -.1”)

Thighs(L/R): 19.8"/19.5"        Thighs(L/R): 19.8"/20.1" (NA, +.6")

Calves(L/R): 11.8"/11.8"        Calves(L/R): 11.9"/11.8" (+.1", NA)

I weighed in at 115.0lbs this morning, down from yesterday’s all time record of 115.8lbs. Based on this, I decided to check my measurements just to see whether it’s water/fat or muscle. I am not really surprised or upset by this outcome, definitely not mad about an increase in bicep and calf size, either, lol.

Cals / Carbs / Fat / Protein

March:         2295    226     106    106

May:            2381    230     113    123

Target:         2300    230     102    115

And for purposes of context, here’s my macro breakdowns over the compared time periods. Both are within acceptable margins, except my protein average for March was low--that’s worth a little overage elsewhere, right? Based on the tiny variances and the fact that I’m now supplementing vitamins that have had me drinking a ton of water, I am optimistic that I have built at least some muscle.

Adulting

Grocery shopping day, job stuff--filed an unemployment claim, applied to four new positions, despaired, considered becoming a farmer--vacuumed, cycled dishes.

• Like 2

Just now, ixaera said:

a noble profession

But seriously, positive vibes your way for jobbiness.

There is some truth in there. I really want a job, if it is not to bring in more than gas, aikido, and car payment money, that I can respect myself when I get up in the morning. And maybe be able to have a life somewhere in the there, that too. 

Glad to hear that Magy and you are both feeling better.

Suggestion for shikko practice: wear volleyball pads or knee supports. The friction will be between two layers of cloth instead of on the skin of your knees. Shikko is much easier when your knees can rotate smoothly.

I hope one of the new job applications works out for you.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

37 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Glad to hear that Magy and you are both feeling better.

Suggestion for shikko practice: wear volleyball pads or knee supports. The friction will be between two layers of cloth instead of on the skin of your knees. Shikko is much easier when your knees can rotate smoothly.

I hope one of the new job applications works out for you.

When Maggy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. 

It did occur to me that knee pads would be sweet to have. I found a way (plush wool rug + two yoga mats + pants) such that the friction isn't a problem so much as my legs wearing out--I DID make the attempt well after lifting, of course, lol. Tired legs are tired. I do have knee sleeves, so that might be a thing I should do. 

I will keep trying until I get gainful employment SOMEWHERE doing SOMETHING. Tech sector isn't showing me much love at this time. 

6-4-2016

tumblr_mql780ShYH1r1cpzlo1_500.gif

Don't mind me, I know what I'm doing over here

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

80 1x3

100 1x2

140 1x1

162.5 2x3 - belted

BP -    NA

OHP - 45 1x3 - belted

59.5 1x3 - belted

DL -    NA

PC -   50 5x3

It’s funny how it’s easier to maintain a straighter bar path with this weight, because you’re just pushing against it with all your might, as opposed to 140~lbs, where it has more wiggle room to go...elsewhere. If that makes any sense. OHP is going TM, because the hyperextension is real and I need to take the time to progress through some volume days. Powercleans were a mixed bag. On the one hand, in the middle sets, something finally clicked and all the reps were totally like

tumblr_o87r432RY51r3wpjdo1_250.gif

But then I had to arm pull the last rep and blow it. Bah.

Aikido

Forward L/R -

Backward L/R -

Breakfall L/R -

S. Breakfall L/R -

Knee Walk F/B -

I apparently need this checklist, because I forgot knee walking at the gym, so I had to do that practice on the rug. Luckily the most stressful thing about it is how intense it proves to be. My legs were quite done after their two passes down the length of the rug.

Recovery

Protein: 5/20 - 123g

Bare-bones tuna salad + rotisserie chicken + green beans + protein cookie made up the bulk of my protein this day. Lots of sugar, zero cares given.

I actually slept through the night! Shocking! Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

Yoga was my mobility--calf, back, arm, and neck stretches for days. I have had some flickers of headache, but nothing sustained or truly aggravating.

Adulting

Watered the flowers, did the laundry, cycled the dishes, brought in the garbage and recycling cans because the holiday on Monday means the trash comes at random times or not at all on the following Friday. Yay for consistent, predictable behavior on the holidays.  

6-5-2016

tumblr_nefhy8502X1tn69vro1_250.gif

Yes...yes, it is. BATHTIME IS HAPPENING.

Lifting

-

Aikido

-

Recovery

Protein: 6/20 - 115g

Baaaaaarely made it, chicken + green beans, smoked brisket + spinach and more chocolate than is reasonable. But I made it. Doesn’t help MFP is lying about tabulating macros, so you have to recount them yourself to be sure it’s adding everything up correctly.

We smoked a brisket and it would of course have been easier had it not decided to rain. Ah well, we had meat eventually.

Adulting

Changed cat box, cleaned out the vacuum filter, cycled dishes, did laundry, and applied for some more jobs. My life is especially boring.

Oh.

Wait.

I bathed cats. Not one or two, but all four of ‘em. Maggy had leftover greasiness from her issue for the last two weeks, and the others hadn’t had one in a looooooong time (or ever!), so...bath day! Funtiems beneath the spoiler~ Because of course you take pictures! 

large.bath1.jpg
Maggy making a last-ditch effort to avoid the inevitable.

large.bath2.jpg
The post-bath consolation by the toilet support group meeting, attended by Maggy and Harley. 

large.bath3.jpg
Oh look, newest member Olive shows up!

large.bath4.jpg
I decided to give it a try with DaVinci, he looks positively murderous, doesn't he? Poor thing was hissy and upset for a couple hours after, but he's over it now. 

large.bath5.jpg
And the whole gang, still quite wet. 

Otherwise I was totally worthless. Bah. 

• Like 3

You have extremely cute cats and I'm surprised you didn't need to go to the ER to get scratches stitched. Sounds like a win to me. :)

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

6 minutes ago, Dagger said:

You have extremely cute cats and I'm surprised you didn't need to go to the ER to get scratches stitched. Sounds like a win to me. :)

Thanks! Lol, three of them I've been handling since they were really young--heck, Maggy and Olive came into the world in our garage! They never claw people on purpose. Harley's still learning; DaVinci...well, he'll probably never be 100% domesticated, but we love him anyway. 

• Like 1

WEEK 1 DEBRIEF!

tumblr_o884y46edU1v91lmjo1_400.gif

BOOM.

Lifting

Lifting is proceeding well, I'm not into rep failure territory. That said, OHP form is becoming consistently sketchy due to weight on the bar, so it's time to switch it over to TM programming. My deadlifts are becoming just another exercise again, rather than the source of intimidation that no doubt contributed heavily to my not being able to get past a double at 207.5lbs.

Aikido

In my private practice, I figured out knee walking and was able to do a couple sessions of side breakfalls without the world ending. In class, we worked on shihonage for what I believe for me is the second time. Moar technique practice needed plz!

Recovery

Protein: 6/20 - 116g AVG

Not bad average given I didn't make a full week's quota, yeah? I'm doing a fairly good job of keeping dairy to an acceptable level, whatever that is, lol.

Sleep has been...uh. I've gotten in the hours, yet I still feel groggy part of the week. I blame the drifting bedtime hours.

Mobilization has been few and far between, but I got a massage this week and haven't had much pain/tension.

Adulting

Adulting has been fairly strong, yeah? Chores tackled like a boss and clean cats~

• Like 2

6-6-2016

tumblr_o8d9r4OtEC1rikvc5o1_500.gif

Suburi day.

Lifting

-

Aikido

I caught a lucky break--this aikido session featured (shomenuchi) bokken suburi numbers 1-4, which was a good rest. There are some significant differences between how I’ve been training with Shinkendo, starting and ending positions of the sword being the most prominent. I’ve got some retraining to do...

Recovery

Protein: 7/20 - 122g

I’d like to say I’m making strides on clean-ish eating, but TBPH, getting enough protein is a sufficient enough challenge that I can’t afford to be too picky about the sources, though obviously the more unprocessed animal protein I can get, the better. Leftover brisket + tortilla soup (I have a base recipe but I’ve heavily, heavily modified it over time, so…) + soft-boiled eggs formed the bulk of the protein sources for today.

I woke up at least once, but it wasn’t a major disruption--sleep was pretty painless for a change of pace.

Hilariously, my butt was sore all day long from the moment I woke up--it could only have come from dealing with the cats. Hilarious, I tell you. Anyone looking for “glute activation” exercises, there you go, from me to you. You’re welcome.

Adulting

Well, since the previous day’s cat bathing extravaganza, I had to clean out the tub (because no way do you clean cats and the tub on the same day...let’s be real). YET MOAR LAUNDRY. Dishes needed putting up, and I made an emergency run to the store to get chicken for dinner.

• Like 1

Apparently if I don't comment here in a few days, you disappear forever.

Hi. keep doing the protein and the lifting and the things.

MOAR biscuits plz

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

9 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Apparently if I don't comment here in a few days, you disappear forever.

Hi. keep doing the protein and the lifting and the things.

MOAR biscuits plz

Dat forum update tho...

Protein is hard--why wasn't it made to taste like sugar, anyway?

Biscuits are coming...

13 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Sugar flavored protein.

I think you're on to something here....

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Sugar flavored protein.

I think you're on to something here....

The look I get when I say I just use the cheap powder from Target is priceless!

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

9 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

The look I get when I say I just use the cheap powder from Target is priceless!

Hey, if it works, why burn the money?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Hey, if it works, why burn the money?

My issue with these is they always taste terrible and so they sit and go to waste.

So it's like throwing away money, because I always end up buying more expensive, better tasting stuff anyways.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

13 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

My issue with these is they always taste terrible and so they sit and go to waste.

So it's like throwing away money, because I always end up buying more expensive, better tasting stuff anyways.

You do have to be able to consume it. But if you can....whatever does the job, right? I myself have this trouble. Protein powders taste like regret. 

• Like 1