4 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

I love those Complete Cookies.

For when you need those extra calories, protein, and sugar, lol. Which is...every day for me. Oh wait, I don't need the sugar, I just want it~

5 minutes ago, shaarawy said:

I need to have some SERIOUS ADULTING DAYS over this long weekend... sheets and laundry need to happen, along with Swiffering up all the cat fur/tumbleweeds, and some lawn maintenance.. *snore*

ALL THE ADULTING, NONE OF THE CAT HAIR. For about 10 minutes, tops, lol.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

6-28-2016

tumblr_mieerkxvAj1s5p6zuo2_400.gif

Bonus PC day funtiems

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

85 1x3

100 1x2

135 1x1

155 6x3 - belted

BP -    NA

OHP - 45.5 6x3 - belted

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

195 2x3 - belted

PC -   45 1x3 - belted

Squats were challenging, mostly sets 5 and 6, lol. I am getting stronger, though, because I have greater command of bar path with awareness of the issue in spite of the increase in weight. Only a couple of trash reps in there, which is a pretty good deal. OHP was lolrific, as per expectations. Deadlifts were pretty strong, the last rep was not exactly stellar, but no problem. Oh, oh right, I did a few reps of power cleans with the empty bar. Definitely have been using too narrow a grip. Despite this, I'm feeling a lot more confident about the whole business.

Aikido

Forward L/R -

Backward L/R -

S Breakfall L/R -

Knee Walk F/B -

Took a while due to mat availability issues, but I got it done. Had to do a bunch of breakfalls to remember how it’s done correctly, but I am now back to working on breakfalls from standing. Different style than before, where it was assumed that someone had a grip on one of my arms, this is a forward roll of sorts. Hopefully mastering this will gain me entry to a pain-free static throw version.

Recovery

Protein: 26/20 - 115g

Biscuits: 2/2

Food

Yes, yes indeed biscuits were made: bacon-cheddar buttermilk drop biscuits. They taste like cheez-its, TBPH, lol, and that is fine by me. Lunch was the leftovers I was unable to tackle yesterday and dinner was a pressure cooked chuck roast.

Sleep

Pretty much flawless. Got up a little earlier than on average, too.

Mobility

Did a few yoga poses, rolled calves, quads, and hams a bit while waiting for the mat space to practice ukemi and such. In the evening, I rolled the lat/delt interfaces on both sides, did some more hip stretches, poked adductors a bit (they were so tight they were sore to pressure, whoops!), rolled my feet big time. Left foot was pretty wound up, actually~

Adulting

Ran a load of dishes and watered the plants today. Spent some time soaking in epsom salt. I almost want to count doing the mobility work AND sticking around to practice ukemi instead of walking away like I was tempted to do, but...probably not legit?

• Like 3

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

45 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I almost want to count doing the mobility work AND sticking around to practice ukemi instead of walking away like I was tempted to do, but...probably not legit?

I say this at least counts as a half point at LEAST (if not two whole points, because doing things you don't feel like should always count as adulting IMVHO)

but then, I'm always hunting for points for adulting

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ixaera said:

I say this at least counts as a half point at LEAST (if not two whole points, because doing things you don't feel like should always count as adulting IMVHO)

but then, I'm always hunting for points for adulting

I guess it's a self-discipline win more than the thing I did? 

• Like 2

6-29-2016

tumblr_nboxv5FHOe1r7tu05o2_500.jpg

Yes please

Lifting

-

Aikido

Shihonage night! I'm getting good at tenkan and with a little reminder remembered how irimi works. Only stepped on uke's broken toe once, because I didn't know it was broken 'til I had and he informed me of this, lol. Shihonage tenkan is not a good technique to practice with a busted digit.

Recovery

Protein: 27/20 - 127g

Food

Made me some Bacon and Egg Yakiudon for lunch, OM NOM. Leftovers for dinner. Canned chicken to make the magic happen.

Sleep

Not much to report here, tough to get to sleep, but afterward it was a-okay.

Mobility

MASSAGE day~ Adductors were super tight, stretched them before aikido.

Adulting

Flowers were watered, cycle dishes, made myself lunch for fun, cleaned all our towels. Yay. 

• Like 3

6-30-2016

tumblr_nb2l2fhB801rmf66ho1_400.gif

Breaking my falls sometimes like

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

75 1x3

100 1x2

130 1x1

155 4x3 - belted

BP -    45 1x5 - belted

50 1x3 - belted

60 1x1 - belted

71 4x3 - belted

OHP - NA

DL -    160 1x3 - belted

197.5 2x3 - belted

PC -   NA

Forgot to mention on Tuesday that my right knee complained after squats--directly below kneecap, lower patellar tendon best as I can determine. Why remember it now? Because today it was my left knee’s turn to whine. Probably letting them scoot a little more forward at the bottom of the squat than they should. Given it goes away before deadlifts, I’m not fussed, but I will work diligently to avoid a repeat because I like my knees as they are, lol. Bench was reasonable work, nothing major of course. Deadlifts. They were some serious work, but still able to get two triples with some semi-questionable form. Probably should repeat ‘em just to make sure I’m strong enough to press on with solid form. Second set was actually better than the first, so raw strength in the main movers isn’t the issue.

Note: over-narrowing my grip leads to thoracic spine flexion + slouching to the right while propped up in bed watching Youtube + right side ukemi from standing ?= migraine? I do not have one presently, I am just detecting a pattern. This may be a Lesson in the making... It actually excites me that I may have found out what I'm doing "wrong" with my ukemi...and that, if so, it has nothing to do with my technique! That would be quite nice.

Aikido

Despite all this happy ukemi talk, I didn’t actually do anything today, boo. Wanted to get out of gym sooner to run by the store, is all. Might could pop into the gym tomorrow, maybe?? Presuming I can walk...

Recovery

Protein: 27/20 - 94g

Food

A leftovers day. I didn’t feel up to eating dinner when 8:30 arrived, just had an egg. No appetites. Not a terrible score given I bailed on a full meal, yeah?

Sleep

Ugh, getting to sleep was a Chore and woke up to cat barf. Not my finest shining moment.

Mobility

Rolled my mid-back and got hubs to beat on it a bit. Improved things markedly. I think the lifting session + cleaning the tub was not kind to it.

Adulting

Woke up to the sweet sound (and smell) of a cat barfing under the bed. In the very middle, where I could not reach. Incidentally, we were nearly out of paper towels and there were two other barfing incidents in the morning, so….to the store I went. Got home, took shower, soaked in tub. Toilet stopped up. Unclogged toilet. Cleaned tub, toilet, and sink. Now the bathroom smells like Clean. Did NOT slouch in bed while watching Youtube videos.

Other times...

tumblr_msw8skyJLG1sch74io1_500.gif

• Like 3

WEEK 4 DEBRIEF!

tumblr_nhmt72P9UX1tij9dyo1_500.gif

Falling: it's a Big Deal

Lifting

Fresh off of a squat PR, I'm looking good to continue along~ PCs are cleaning up slowly.

Aikido

Technique practice! Ukemi! From Standing! OMG. I feel like progress is happening all the way around, from warm-up to yellow belt techniques.

Recovery

Protein: 27/20 - 125g AVG

Food

Biscuits accomplished, I am not a fake Southerner. Would you believe my protein average is STILL 125 for the third week in a row?? Even with FUBAR "dinner" tonight...amazing.

Sleep

Sleep is better, less tension upon waking up and less interruption in the middle of the night. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

Mobility

Massage day + some attempts at stretching, a more noble effort than last week maybe?

Adulting

ALL OF THE ADULTING. This household runs like clockwork. CLOCKWORK I SAY.

• Like 5

July 2016 Goals!

June proved that Texas Method well agrees with me, that I have work to do to become proficient at even the most basic standing ukemi, that I can in fact get sleep, and what do you know, but I can sorta kind bake things. Kinda. Oh, and I am as tight as a drum in random places. As always, July will build on the shoulders of the giant that was the previous month's exploits. Here we go! With feeling! And some very pointed goals. Who says battle logs all have to be vague??

tumblr_o8q3iiaCDX1v0crswo1_500.gif

(Note: this posted randomly because I fail at noticing what has focus when I press Enter....)

Recovery

Food!

Basically, I am going back to enforcing my calorie range from a while back while trying to keep up with protein in a similar fashion. This will look like:

Calories - maintain an average of 2300 calories per week, daily calorie range permitted: 2100 - 2500. 1 variance from this range permitted, probably will be used on Saturdays, because Intensity Day.

Protein - maintain an average of 104 - 126g per week

Weight and measurements once a week to track effectiveness.

This isn't new at all, people who've been following me will recognize this. It's coming back because of scale and waistline creep, it may be as much to do with fruit, cheese, and random corn consumption as with anything, this will give me the opportunity to focus on dealing with the bloat/fat/water/whatever. 2-3 lbs of whatever, specifically. If lifts suffer, this will be scuttled. If calories and protein goals are at odds, the calorie cap takes precedence. I am hoping to encourage more efficacious use of calories with less wanton sugar consumption to pad out my macros, if you catch my drift.  

Mobility!

This is easy, DO THE THING, URGAN. IT'S IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

• 12 - Foot mobility/stretch Axed because my feet started acting up
  • 12 - Hips mobility/stretch
  • 12 - Neck mobility/stretch
  • Anything that hurts, twinges, tugs, or kvetches, log it.

Lifting

In June, a PR or two happened! July's assignments:

• Make more PRs
  • Figure out a way to set up squats that do not introduce over-flexion of thoracic spine

Aikido

We have done a lot of basic rolling, haven't we? Let's switch up the formula a bit. 

• 12 - Side breakfalls (forward roll from standing > side fall). Let's stick to 2x per side to be safe-ish
  • 4 - forward, backward rolls, shikko (knee walking), 4x per side per technique
  • Dojo days - Adductor stretches! Hamstring stretches! Other stretches! Let's mobilize instead of just sitting, shall we?

Week Debriefs:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Urgan said:

ALL OF THE ADULTING. This household runs like clockwork. CLOCKWORK I SAY.

AWESOME! Sometimes I think this is the biggest challenge of being an adult. And also the most boring one...

Anyway, sounds like you are continuing strong and planing to build on it for July. I'm still here cheering for you! :)

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Ahaha I too am building tracking due to waistline creep into my next challenge... sigh... food, why you do?!!?

Grats on June's victories, and BISCUITING, nom, much nom. Happy July!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

AWESOME! Sometimes I think this is the biggest challenge of being an adult. And also the most boring one...

Anyway, sounds like you are continuing strong and planing to build on it for July. I'm still here cheering for you! :)

It's one of those make lemonade out of lemons when you really wanted filet mignon, yeah?

Thanks, let the games begin~

2 hours ago, shaarawy said:

Ahaha I too am building tracking due to waistline creep into my next challenge... sigh... food, why you do?!!?

Grats on June's victories, and BISCUITING, nom, much nom. Happy July!!

I'm hoping my gut is just angry with my food choices, but I do have data showing 2500-2600 calorie averages along with hovering around 114 in April and 115-116 on May and June. This cannot be complete coincidence. The weight itself isn't the problem, though, it's the sensation it's all just camping my middle. 

We shall be July champions!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Urgan said:

It's one of those make lemonade out of lemons when you really wanted filet mignon, yeah?

Such a good way of describing it. :)

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Yeah I hear you about weight and midsection. I wouldn't care what the number said on the scale, but I don't like how it feels on my body, especially where I feel it.

I love how you organized your battle log like its own independent series of challenges! I never would have thought to do that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah I hear you about weight and midsection. I wouldn't care what the number said on the scale, but I don't like how it feels on my body, especially where I feel it.

Wilks favors the lighter lifter who can still move the same amount of iron, but the heavier one is, the easier it is in general to lift. To speak nothing of these feeling things. It is quite the balancing act if you don't know your maintenance macros~

5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I love how you organized your battle log like its own independent series of challenges! I never would have thought to do that.

That is exactly what I set out to attempt! This way, even if I do return to formal challenges, I can keep up with the results of those here. This way I have maximum control while still keeping a certain amount of pressure on, yeah? 

• Like 2

7-1-2016

tumblr_o81ui48eP91ugcziko1_500.jpg

I hope it was worth it

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2377

Protein - 121

Variance - 0/1

Yasss. Right on track. I’ll average out this week’s macros on Sunday and get starting stats then.

Mobility!

Feet - 0/12

Hips - 0/12

Neck - 0/12

I got in some decent hip and neck stretching today--not counting any of it toward my totals until the 4th, just to have some order to this maness. That doesn’t mean I can’t start early and brag about it, lol.

Lifting

Just Say NO to Thoracic Flexion

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 0/12

Rolls + Shikko - 0/4

Dojo Mobility - x
-

I cleaned cat ears and gave them all flea meds today, lol. It was a good day for them, wasn't it?? Finally got my white belt diploma and photo framed, got a haircut, and did the grocery thing that we all do. Got my cart stolen when I went back to see about the flea meds--with 8-10 items still in it--and that pretty well wrecked that shopping trip. People who are so lazy they steal carts to avoid putting themselves out the trip to get a cart need to DIAF. Not my most charitable thought moment, but shy of breaking the law that is about the worst thing you can do to a random stranger without looking them in the eye.

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Got my cart stolen when I went back to see about the flea meds--with 8-10 items still in it--and that pretty well wrecked that shopping trip.

This happens? O___O What is wrong with people?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dagger said:

This happens? O___O What is wrong with people?

Apparently so. 

Let me be frank, they were both very, very overweight--perhaps even obese--and had two containers of cat litter in their grasp from what I could tell as I was passing by. I typically buy two containers of cat litter at a time, because Four Cats. I think you can do the rest of the math, lol. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Still a dick move, though! Even when overloaded, you don't steal another shopper's cart unless it's Black Friday.

It's like wearing white after Labor Day. Just don't do it!

In the case of Black Friday: steal the other person's stuff, trample anyone who opposes you, and spread chaos wherever you tread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

In the case of Black Friday: steal the other person's stuff, trample anyone who opposes you, and spread chaos wherever you tread. 

So that's what you do the Aikido for. All those joint locks and such. Someone tries to jostle you and you flip them with the harmony of the universe so that they did to themselves. :D

• Like 3

7-2-2016

tumblr_o9ktdfknM01vnghdeo1_250.jpg

You know just what to say

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2360

Protein - 105

Variance - 0/1

Ate fairly responsibly given I got 3 hours of sleep, tops. That is to say, I ate at all. * coughs * While my choices in general were fairly solid (sandwich, smoothie for the FUEL, eggs, beans), they included some stuff that is a bit tough on the stomach and I’m hoping to get my digestion back to status quo. Note: I should ease up on the epsom for a few days 'til this is resolved, maybe~

Being out of phase with your spouse’s sleep schedule + minor muscle pain making it hard to find a good sleeping posture + snoring that you can feel as well as hear through earplugs, through the door, lying on the couch in the next room. It...was not a great night.

The sinus issue he’s been having? Yeah, we think it’s connected and it will merit a doc visit when we have the wherewithal to do so.

Mobility!

Feet - 0/12

Hips - 0/12

Neck - 0/12

My microwavable neck pillow thing came, as well as a kickass pair of leggings and mag lotion~ I am so ready for this month. Right ankle needed some attention, so I poked it a bit. Took a much needed soak and it really helped my feelings. The cats sat on the edge of the tub, concerned. One finally slipped and fell in, poor Maggy. I gave her my towel to dry off with and no permanent harm done.

This was a kind of bare-bones day, as one might expect.

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

85 1x3

115 1x2

140 1x1

172.5 1x3 - belted --PR+2.5!!

BP -    NA

OHP - 51 2x3 - belted

DL -    NA

PC -   45 1x5

60 3x4

62.5 2x3 --PR+2.5!!

62.5 1x2 - failed 3rd rep

Who else you know PRs twice on 3 hours of sleep? Actually it was dirty and ugly, both of ‘em, but it happened. I’m considering redoing this week’s progression on squats, but it’s just a thought. OHP was easy, blah blah. PCs I spent time practicing with a wider grip, which helped a lot. Still needing work on triple extension, buuut I had a few really good reps in there that the weight practice just made it impossible to work on more because heavy = form breakdown after a couple sets. Whoops. Back to empty bar, it is, then.

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 0/12

Rolls + Shikko - 0/4

Dojo Mobility - x

Sorry, ukemi...soon, though! Oh, probably should mention that Week 1 of July will have no aikido classes because Independence Day dojo closure for the week. Sad face.

19 hours ago, Kishi said:

So that's what you do the Aikido for. All those joint locks and such. Someone tries to jostle you and you flip them with the harmony of the universe so that they did to themselves. :D

Actually, the only time I've experienced Black Friday shopping (skittering in to by more ornament hangers way before the Event starts doesn't count...it's an eerie time, though, the calm before the storm) was as a Walmart employee and let me say, it would be VERY useful to have the skills to blend with the greed-maddened horde and well, survive would be job number 1, yeah? 

• Like 5

Addendum: I did a good job of not over-narrowing my squat grip and my back felt pretty darn good. Bit by bit perhaps I can resolve the lower trap twitch for good.

• Like 3

7-3-2016

tumblr_mf9i8gzlmn1royjmvo1_500.jpg

I see what you did there

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2300

Protein - 115

Variance - 0/1

It doesn't get more on target than this, lol. Nachos with a restrained amount of dairy (barely any), a big venison burger, hot dog, watermelon, and tiiiiiiny amount of ice cream made this happen. No sign of my stomach disapproving of this combination thus far. We went to a cookout in the early evening and contributed sufficient chicken that we had to have help hauling it away, lol. I shot a gun for the very first time, finally indulging my Ursula quest of like a year ago, lol. It was a little 22 pistol and I lucked out on the first shot and hit the center, lol. The rest...not so much. The guys shot a bit of the 22, but we ran out of light way too quickly. It was a good first experience, and I was glad they stuck to lower firepower this time because #jumpy #earprocan'tfixthis. Those weren't the only explosions, of course fireworks happened. Not a huge fan of being so close to them when they are ignited, but wasn't much to be done about that unless I wanted to jump in the lake (spoiler: nope). The light show itself was nice.

But this is the food section. Averages for this past week!

Calories - 2373

Protein - 115

Pretty good, right? Should get some interesting data soon.

Mobility!

Feet - 0/12

Hips - 0/12

Neck - 0/12

Got some foot and neck stretching in and soaked after food, firearms, and fireworks, even though it was pretty late. It was that badly needed, lol.

Lifting

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 0/12

Rolls + Shikko - 0/4

Dojo Mobility - x

-

Starting Stats as of 7/3/16                               

Weight: 115.6 lbs                 

Waist: 23.5"                         

Hips: 32.0"                           

Biceps(L/R): 10.0"/10.0"        

Forearm(L/R): 9.0"/9.0"       

Thighs(L/R): 20.0"/20.25"      

Calves(L/R): 11.9"/11.9"

So...higher doesn’t always mean bad, of course, I just want to occasionally get control so my midsection doesn't experience explosive growth, without compromising the gains. In this case, the rest of the measurements are for context relative to what the scale says. Again, much of this may just be the aftereffects of a slightly distressed gut. Tangible proof it's calmed down is good, right?

• Like 2

Higher does not always mean bad. And there are advantages to be had - easier time moving weight, fighting heavier, things like that.

And it sounds like your body's feeling better about the food choices too, which is excellent.

Also, glad to hear that you finally got to shoot!

• Like 1

7-4-2016

tumblr_nx5i9aNSB31rluhlpo1_400.gif

Mobilizin'

Recovery

Food!

Cals - 2,101

Protein - 107

Variance - 0/1

...and here we are on the other end of acceptability. I got a case of fussy stomach and nothing sounded good, was tired, and generally felt hot and not so great. I fully admit that I self-medicate with vanilla shakes. Sinus trouble? Vanilla shake. Sore throat? Vanilla shake. Indigestion? Vanilla shake. Bad mood? Vanilla shake. On the plus side, I was restrained and got a small. I will trade some gas for low grade nausea/loss of appetite any day. I blame the temperature outside lately--I’m just not built for 95+ degrees, ugh.

Almost didn’t visit my folks due to it, but went anyway because I needed to eat stuff and nothing here was sounding viable (in my defense of today's food choices, I did skip mac 'n cheese and peach cobbler--I do in fact have the capacity for restraint). A good choice. Not only is it Independence Day, but it’s also Dad’s birthday. I owe him funfetti cheesecake. Next weekend. Mike and Dad love it and I prefer making and serving it to actually eating it anyhow.

Speaking of Dad, his eating patterns are becoming more restrained. As of today he’s down 7lbs and that’s WITH some food in him at the time of weighing. It’s only been a month and we don’t even have him on an actual cut! God bless barbells.  

Mobility!

Feet - 1/12

Hips - 1/12

Neck - 1/12

All the stretching/rolling + calf stretches, quad stretching and massaging, and left shoulder massaging. Wonder what I’m doing to create shoulder tension in such an odd place as the very most exterior part of the shoulder? Maybe it was the twinge when I picked up fat cat Callie at my parents' house, but I don't remember which limb it happened on.

Lifting

-

Aikido

S Breakfalls - 0/12

Rolls + Shikko - 0/4

Dojo Mobility - x

-

19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Higher does not always mean bad. And there are advantages to be had - easier time moving weight, fighting heavier, things like that.

And it sounds like your body's feeling better about the food choices too, which is excellent.

Also, glad to hear that you finally got to shoot!

I just want all the muscle, damnit. All of it. I only accept that there will always be fat involved in this equation because mass moves mass, lol. 

Generally it's stabilizing, slowly working on making better choices to get digestion under control. 

Pew pew. Hoping to get more comfortable with aiming the 22 and move up to a 9mm and shotgun after a few sessions, I am told some of the long guns are about as easy to handle as the itty bitty, which intrigues me. 

• Like 3