Dude, I used to eat those things all the time.

I don't enjoy them anymore. Too bland. Just chewy sugar... which I say like it's a bad thing, and that can't be right. Maybe if I dipped them in sriracha or something...

Also, hey! I missed the part where you got a job again! That's groovy! Congratulations! Way to get back at it.

10-11-2016 + 10-12-2016

tumblr_oczn1xhZ671rti241o1_500.jpg

What messing with stuff on my closet shelves feels like

Recovery

Ice Tally - 6

Lunch - Leftover chicken adobo; classic tomato soup + bacon + gnocchi

Dinner - tomato soup + brown rice california roll; Chicken Burrito Bowl by way of Mexican Pulled Chicken filling  

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

95 1x3

120 1x1

142 5x5

DL -    135 1x5

155 3x3

Aikido

Forward Rolls - 1/2

Bokken Suburi - 2/4

Dojo Days - Y

The past two days have been BUSY. So busy I had to borrow a page from @Kishi's book and either do the thing or report it--so I chose to go ahead and get some stuff done, and here I am now. Been shopping for clothes that fit the bill for work--Kohl's and Nordstrom Rack were my stores of choice and I made off like a bandit. For one, I have jeans now. Gasp. Only took me three hours to get there, but anyway....Oh yes, I can wear jeans to work, my supervisor informed me. So between that and the changing seasons, that means pull everything out of the closet and try it on if I hadn't worn it in the past three months. Bought six pairs of jeans, lost 7 pairs of pants and a fistful of leggings. Lol. Story of my life, right there. Oh well, most of them were clothes I was holding onto for some stupid reason.

Oh yeah, and I gymmed--very doable, but after that and all the shopping, my legs were so sore I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't. get. comfortable. Agh. Iced both days, ate well. Despite feeling like a cowboy after a long ride post-shopping, I did go to Aikido. All the stretching, all the shomenuchi kotegaeshi. Looks like this:

I thought I'd done this technique before, but turns out not so much. Lol. Kotegaeshi is so much harder in a dynamic situation, ahaifheio. I'm pretty sure I didn't even talk about what we worked on Monday, it was ~sankyo~. Sankyo is amazing, in that way that threatens elbow integrity. A video demo for the curious:

Training is going very well, I feel like the foundation laid by white and yellow are beginning to * click * so that we work these techniques for the first time and it already feels like polishing time. Kotegaeshi is my weakest link thus far, for some reason. Here's hoping I can keep it up after starting my job. Speaking of the job, so here's what I think is going to have to happen: boss wants me to work 8 to 5, which makes eeeeeeverything about 10 degrees harder. I'm going to try to train before work maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday on the logic that those days I have to remember my gi and a change of clothes for aikido anyway, let's get all the remembering out of the way at once. And I'm going to have to remember a lot at stupid early times of day, which means I'm going to have to set up for the next day the night before. Gulp.

Now next week will be weird for multiple reasons. First, it's the first week of work, obviously, and the first week I'm getting up with the chickens. Second, it'll be the first time I'm getting up with said chickens to put something heavy on my back, and I recognize the value of preworkout for surviving this process. Third, I volunteered to help with my dojo's karate tournament next Saturday, and my role requires training that's being held on Thursday evening. This first week will be Special, because how do dinner?

• Like 6

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 10/11/2016 at 6:05 PM, ixaera said:

It is probably maybe also gluten-free!

>.>

Oh. Well then. 

19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Dude, I used to eat those things all the time.

I don't enjoy them anymore. Too bland. Just chewy sugar... which I say like it's a bad thing, and that can't be right. Maybe if I dipped them in sriracha or something...

Also, hey! I missed the part where you got a job again! That's groovy! Congratulations! Way to get back at it.

I think you have identified candy corn's main selling point. Yup, I can has an employed. We can revel in the How Do Fitness? frustrations together. 

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

29 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I think you have identified candy corn's main selling point.

Not that I've tried any of those things discussed here, but I've definitely noticed that the more picky I've gotten with my sweets (yay!), the more texture plays a huge role in how much I like something. Give me something with the right texture and I'm a happy camper, otherwise I can just skip it.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

53 minutes ago, Urgan said:

The past two days have been BUSY. So busy I had to borrow a page from @Kishi's book and either do the thing or report it--so I chose to go ahead and get some stuff done, and here I am now. Been shopping for clothes that fit the bill for work--Kohl's and Nordstrom Rack were my stores of choice and I made off like a bandit. For one, I have jeans now. Gasp. Only took me three hours to get there, but anyway....Oh yes, I can wear jeans to work, my supervisor informed me. So between that and the changing seasons, that means pull everything out of the closet and try it on if I hadn't worn it in the past three months. Bought six pairs of jeans, lost 7 pairs of pants and a fistful of leggings. Lol. Story of my life, right there. Oh well, most of them were clothes I was holding onto for some stupid reason.

Good for you getting new clothes and especially getting rid of the old ones. Sorting through my old clothes has been on my to-do list several weekends in a row. I will strive to follow your example.

53 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Training is going very well, I feel like the foundation laid by white and yellow are beginning to * click * so that we work these techniques for the first time and it already feels like polishing time. Kotegaeshi is my weakest link thus far, for some reason. Here's hoping I can keep it up after starting my job. Speaking of the job, so here's what I think is going to have to happen: boss wants me to work 8 to 5, which makes eeeeeeverything about 10 degrees harder. I'm going to try to train before work maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday on the logic that those days I have to remember my gi and a change of clothes for aikido anyway, let's get all the remembering out of the way at once. And I'm going to have to remember a lot at stupid early times of day, which means I'm going to have to set up for the next day the night before. Gulp.

This first week will be Special, because how do dinner?

Great that your aikido is starting to click! The same basic movements get put together in all sorts of ways. Once you are solid on the basics, learning variations is easy.

Setting up for work the night before is pretty easy once you make it part of your routine. And it gives you time to figure out something else when you realize that the top you wanted to wear is still in the dirty laundry.

Dinner = crock pot. Another thing to mostly set up the night before. You can have the meat and veggies prepped in fridge containers so that all you have to do in the morning is layer them in the crock pot and turn it on.

• Like 2

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

Not that I've tried any of those things discussed here, but I've definitely noticed that the more picky I've gotten with my sweets (yay!), the more texture plays a huge role in how much I like something. Give me something with the right texture and I'm a happy camper, otherwise I can just skip it.

#thereisnobadfood

I always say, if you can only have one type of dessert, it might as well be a darn fine dessert. Since I'm not living a very constrained diet, I in fact have to concern myself with eating enough. Always trying to eat a whole foods kind of diet, but in the case of the candy corn, it's more of a thing where Mike can manage one slice of cake or half a Complete Cookie and max out on the richness, but he can eat a big handful of candy corn. Compromise and all that.

4 hours ago, shaar said:

A pre-emptive welcome to the Early Workout Club~ :)

I inquired as to the early morning traffic. Apparently people get up at early arse hours to go swimming? What a world. I cannot imagine the stress of messing up my hair and having to shower as part of the morning ritual, but then my commute requires an hour buffer to make sure I get there. Traffic on the roads I must travel can vary wildly, from nearly empty to car on fire, all but one lane blocked (really).

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good for you getting new clothes and especially getting rid of the old ones. Sorting through my old clothes has been on my to-do list several weekends in a row. I will strive to follow your example.

Great that your aikido is starting to click! The same basic movements get put together in all sorts of ways. Once you are solid on the basics, learning variations is easy.

Setting up for work the night before is pretty easy once you make it part of your routine. And it gives you time to figure out something else when you realize that the top you wanted to wear is still in the dirty laundry.

Dinner = crock pot. Another thing to mostly set up the night before. You can have the meat and veggies prepped in fridge containers so that all you have to do in the morning is layer them in the crock pot and turn it on.

Out with the old, in with the fuzzy sweaters. Or something like that. It feels about a billion times better with a clean closet and I already have a new give-away pile started. I really need to attack that office closet and get it straightened out, it's haunting me.

Aikido is just about the best thing ever. Second to lifting, perhaps. But being strong combined with technique is a winning formula. Technique should allegedly win the day, but in the event of imperfect technique or a fiercely strong assailant (or stiff-arse partner.....), raw force never hurt. Who wants to flail around with an unfamiliar partner in the dojo anyway? All the big guys demand better form AND greater strength for me to treat them like my more familiar ukes. Sigh. #todolist

I think I'm going to take to carrying a bag of hygiene products of all kinds, for two reasons: 1- forces me to think differently about what I need for the morning and 2- in the event of unforeseen schedule circumstances, I will not freak out.

I have a pressure cooker, it's just that I'm so lazy I don't want to drag my butt over to the kitchen to fill it up. Nevermind doing it for two meals instead of one. I just have to woman up and do the thing. 

Listened to this today, nothing I didn't know but it's nice to hear affirmation every once in a while...

• Like 3

10-13-2016

tumblr_odehnjOW3j1roqv59o1_500.png

There's something for everyone

Recovery

Ice Tally - 6

Lunch - Moar tomato soup

Dinner - Moar chicken burrito bowl sans rice + gnocchi + cheese

Lifting

BP -    45 1x5

60 1x3

70 3x5

OHP - 45 1x5

58 3x3

R Delt - 10 3x10

Aikido

Forward Rolls - 1/2

Bokken Suburi - 2/4

Dojo Days - N

Lots of laundry got done this day. I rearranged our glasswear and mugs to optimize reachability of the ones we prefer. Some more clothes needed trying on. Lunch break, then time for gym. Weights were lifted, nice and manageable. Here's my OHP:

:Did a big clean-out of and reorganization of the office closet. Found lots to give away. Decided to start selling stuff I have no intention of using on that great international garage sale, eBay, under piratesrbetter. Not gonna hawk my crap here, that's what the site's for, but if you want a laugh, check it out I guess.

• Like 5

10-14-2016

tumblr_oc0zmr31qu1ug6grbo1_500.png

Invest in your future

Recovery

Ice Tally - 6

Lunch - Yet more chicken burrito bowl sans rice + gnocchi

Dinner - A half rotisserie chicken + black beans + corn fritters + french fries (1500~ calories, possibly a single meal PR)

Lifting

-

Aikido

Forward Rolls - 1/2

Bokken Suburi - 2/4

Dojo Days - N

I basically listed stuff all day long, then went to the grocery store, lol. Put groceries up, then back out to buy storage shelving for our closets then eat dinner at Cowboy Chicken. Body was that good.

Sold my first thing while asleep, it is the most surreal thing ever. afkjewiweaeaejaeg 

• Like 4

That food, omnom.

I used to sell on eBay a LONG time ago... I think my best sale was a rare PS1 Dragon Ball fighting game that sold for $320 or something.  Financed a big chunk of my Otakon trip that year, LOL.

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

10-15-2016 + 10-16-2016 + WEEK 2 DEBRIEF

tumblr_of60wiCZS21voo0udo1_400.gif

Dis week

Recovery

Ice Tally - 7

Lunch - Penne with Meatballs + gnocchi + shredded cheese + a third of a 22oz smoothie; mexican chicken + gnocchi + shredded cheese + fries

Dinner - Mexican chicken; Bison ribeye + sauteed zucchini + spinach

I have been...spotty about icing. For the most part, my head has been bearable and I think FFXII had a lot to do with the intensity of symptoms, but I still have unresolved tension issues. Maybe ice more??? I need to recommit to minimal dairy, stat. I am sick of itching.

Oh, and bison ribeye is a thing and it is a good thing.

Avgs for Week 2:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein   /   Sugar  

AVG    2366        260            84          139             62      

TGT    2400        237          102          120           100     

DLTA    -34         23           -18            19            -38     

Not bad. Went a little nuts with the carbs in exchange for my usual fat consumption, but I'll take it. My weight is trending pretty stable, too.

rRpQs6scoq4KU3yHj3HjD88i-nn7xK_fF61ERfEuJKEKU6c4x9GB9KYBSvuSM7KuYeLZJHPWju0lnoFtR11Qt7BbXXQuu29rLQ46cMBdxbA_KxPs5ullWr2FbgrO10QtH0AAgAf5

Lifting

Squat - 45 1x5

105 1x3

135 1x1

155 1x3--misloaded the bar

157.5 2x3

DL -    135 1x5

160 1x3

210 1x3

210 1x2

210 1x0

Fail tiems. I think a sleep pattern that has me waking up multiple times in the night might have a thing to do with this. I felt weak-ish on squats, too. NEED MOAR SLEEPS.

Aikido

Forward Rolls - 2/2

Bokken Suburi - 2/4

Dojo Days - N

#fail Sorry, suburi, I had the busy.

Ohai, early morning update.

Been sooooo busy with getting ready to work and this eBay thing (second package deployed!) that a lot has just slid by. Hopefully this changes soon. So begins the effort re-establish all the habits I've taken for granted, prepare yourself for spectacularly underwhelming goals!

15 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Love your OHP form!

Thrust and Pop: Is it part of the latest dance craze, or one of the Big Four lifts?? You Decide. 

• Like 4

10-17-2016

tumblr_mgnblz4XNX1qkg4y8o1_500.jpg

...ugh.

Eat

Lunch - Bison ribeye + zucchini + spinach + poptarts

Dinner - beef stroganoff + carrots

Monday was a whirlwind of crazy. First day on the job grade crazy. Oh crap my lunch is 400 calories crazy. Was forced to double my calories or risk low blood sugar induced coma. Still came out low in the end, but I made a heroic effort.

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 1/5

Technically over by a few minutes, but I was getting prepped for the next morning, what can ya do?

Do the Thing

Gym - 0/4

Dojo - 1/2

Appointments? - LOL.

I went to the dojo, but DANG was every force in the universe on the other side working against me, including a wreck that totaled two cars and shut the highway down to one lane from three. Awkward happened. This is sokumen iriminage and it is really dynamic and strange:

Depicted is the irimi version, tenkan is absent. Can't be fussed to find that now...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Ahhhh the joys of settling in...

Finding the best prep / plan for workdays is its own bear sometimes

A major, MAJOR downside to changing jobs...

19 hours ago, Urgan said:

I went to the dojo, but DANG was every force in the universe on the other side working against me, including a wreck that totaled two cars and shut the highway down to one lane from three. Awkward happened. This is sokumen iriminage and it is really dynamic and strange:

Depicted is the irimi version, tenkan is absent. Can't be fussed to find that now...

Fascinating. It looks like a judo throw. I can see how it works, but I don't see an aikido scenario when it would be a good choice. The video does not show any attack. Uke is standing still and nage gets behind uke's knees and throws. This could be a simplified exercise just to learn the mechanics of the throw. I would like to see what sort of attack nage is blending with to end up in that position.

I hope the new job works out well for you.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Fascinating. It looks like a judo throw. I can see how it works, but I don't see an aikido scenario when it would be a good choice. The video does not show any attack. Uke is standing still and nage gets behind uke's knees and throws. This could be a simplified exercise just to learn the mechanics of the throw. I would like to see what sort of attack nage is blending with to end up in that position.

I hope the new job works out well for you.

The video might be an exercise, at our dojo it is initiated by uke doing a straight arm grab.

Thanks~

10-18-2016

tumblr_ofa8b7Gf2o1rkm4r8o1_500.jpg

Phrase of the week

Eat

Lunch - Tortilla soup (sans tortillas because Forgot) + emergency Cheez-Its

Dinner - Spaghetti with Grass-fed beef and marinara

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 2/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 1/4

Dojo - 1/2

BP -    45 1x5

50 1x3

65 1x1

80 6x5

50 3x8--DB

I eated, sleeped, and gymmeded. The end.

Well now, I did much better on the food department--still had to raid the snack machine, but I took it a step down from Pop Tarts on the badness scale. Tortilla soup sadly just wasn't cutting it. I got in bed at a good time at the end of the day, so a win there. At the gym, I did my very first morning workout. I drank alllll the preworkout (1 scoop) and that had me Motivated to get out the door. Benched, did not pass out, did not hurt myself somehow. So bizarre walking into the gym in the dark and walking out to the dawn. SO BIZARRE. WHAT EVEN. 

Proof:

Work was less stressful on day two. Less standing around like ijits getting in everyone's way. Still waaaay too much sitting in conference rooms looking at powerpoint, but we're getting there. The drive home was a nightmare, but this is going to be a thing from now on, given the location. Let's see how long I can last, shall we?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Urgan said:

At the gym, I did my very first morning workout. I drank alllll the preworkout (1 scoop) and that had me Motivated to get out the door. Benched, did not pass out, did not hurt myself somehow. So bizarre walking into the gym in the dark and walking out to the dawn. SO BIZARRE. WHAT EVEN. 

I think you are HERO and doing this an hour earlier than me even, but welcome to the AM lifts clubbbbb!

• Like 3

10-19-2016

tumblr_o52lo50xTo1sb2waoo1_400.gif

Like a record, baby

Eat

Lunch - Pasta with Grass-fed beef and marinara

Dinner - cleaned out mom's fridge (AKA turkeu, green beans, zucchini, potato, and waaaaaaay more Rice a roni than is hood for one)

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 3/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 2/4

Dojo - 2/2

Squat - 45 1x5

95 1x3

125 1x1

146 5x5

DL -    135 1x5

155 3x3

Hit the gym early again. No vids because In A Hurry. I ended up being later to work than I'd like, but not actually late. Crammed breakfast and started my day. We went over reviewing specs against what actually printed. Found some issues. Lunched and chilled until it was time to be babysat by experienced QA staff. That was fun. Today's guy was an arachnophile cat owner with a particularly biting implementation of sarcasm. Then we did more sitting in a freezer while trying to log onto a secure site.

Thrilling.

The dojo after raiding mom's fridge. We did kaitenage, which I have codenamed the human yo-yo. Why?

This is nage vision, guys. Go-pros for all Aikidoka now plz. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ixaera said:

I think you are HERO and doing this an hour earlier than me even, but welcome to the AM lifts clubbbbb!

I don't feel like a hero, lol, more like roadkill.