On 10/23/2016 at 10:48 PM, Urgan said:

Ah well, glad to have you all the same! I haven't done a challenge since...April, I think? This works a lot better for me, not that I've sworn off challenges forevermore or anything. It was a very productive weekend, if nothing else...my legs are cranky at this point, lol.

So this is where you've been hiding!

I always see the Insta posts but no challenges. Following along now...if the forum gods allow.

• Like 1

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

23 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

So this is where you've been hiding!

I always see the Insta posts but no challenges. Following along now...if the forum gods allow.

Lol, indeed.

I post all the time, so a good rule of thumb is if you don't hear from me then NF (the site) is hatin' on the logs again.

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

10/25/2016

tumblr_inline_ofn8jlOohs1qj2dwq_500.gif

Good times

Eat

Lunch - Ropa Vieja and mixed veggies

Dinner - Bacon and egg yakiudon

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 2/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 1/4

Dojo - 1/2

Boring day was boring. Got in bed on time. Did my first real work mostly by myself. Found issues, got them fixed, tested them again to make sure they were in fact fixed. Repeat two or three times and that was my day. Got home and made two dinners because it's Tuesday. Found out my dad-in-law had a diabetic stroke by himself and lost his sight (unless you count being able to detect light "sight"). Mike isn't taking it terribly well, as you might expect. The joys of being a 30 year old caregiver to someone who lives all alone and outside cell phone service are too many to be enumerated. Wait and see and all that.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Oh goodness, my heart to you, I'm so sorry to hear! 

>HUGS<

• Like 1

Oh gosh, that sounds horrible, so sorry to hear about your dad-in-law.  I hope things start to look up for you guys, aging family members is a whole different kind of stress.  ; ;  <3333

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Ewwwww......  The father of a 30yo seems pretty young yet, too, especially in the South where you live.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

1 hour ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Oh goodness, my heart to you, I'm so sorry to hear! 

>HUGS<

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Oh gosh, that sounds horrible, so sorry to hear about your dad-in-law.  I hope things start to look up for you guys, aging family members is a whole different kind of stress.  ; ;  <3333

Thanks, guys.

3 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Ewwwww......  The father of a 30yo seems pretty young yet, too, especially in the South where you live.

He's not particularly super young, but he has more than his share of medical issues. Not the least of which is depression and a resulting lack of desire/mindfulness to manage his diabetes. 

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

Found out my dad-in-law had a diabetic stroke by himself and lost his sight (unless you count being able to detect light "sight"). Mike isn't taking it terribly well, as you might expect. The joys of being a 30 year old caregiver to someone who lives all alone and outside cell phone service are too many to be enumerated. Wait and see and all that.

Wow, I'm sorry :( 

7 hours ago, Urgan said:

He's not particularly super young, but he has more than his share of medical issues. Not the least of which is depression and a resulting lack of desire/mindfulness to manage his diabetes. 

Depression sucks big time, for a million reasons, and so deadly.

10/26/2016

tumblr_occhyyyjtp1qzfsnio1_400.gif

I got nothin'

Eat

Lunch - Bacon and egg yakiudon

Dinner - Chicken and rice + Italian green beans

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 3/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 2/4

Dojo - 2/2

Squat - 45 1x5

95 1x3

125 1x1

146.5 5x5

Deadlift - 135 1x5

157.5 1x3

Sleep and Doing the Thing we're on point today. I got a 5RM PR on squats and determined that deadlifts are too time intensive when combined with volume squats for the morning routine. I basically have 30~ minutes to get the job done, and the set up and take down for deadlifting has me out the door and right into Traffic. So. Gonna try some shrugs then and see if I die. Aikido was good, we hit munetsuki kotegaeshi  (uke punches and gets thrown by the wrist/hand of the punching arm). Then we did a variation on this, only uke had a knife and our job was to control it like kotegaeshi tenkan, only instead of completing the throw we turned the knife into uke's ribs, ducked under the knife arm (bent), found Nikkyo pin, took the knife, and slashed uke one more time before completing the technique. Fun AND deadly. 

Mike's dad has graduated from light detection to picking out silhouettes, so this may be anything from a slow grind to recovery to the new normal, depending on whether Stroke Pt. 2 happens. 

14 hours ago, ixaera said:

Wow, I'm sorry :( 

Depression sucks big time, for a million reasons, and so deadly.

Yeah, it's the worst watching multiple family members go through hell. Especially if simple neglect to take medicine is in fact the root cause of this. You feel sympathy AND the burning desire to whack the man upside the head at the same time. 

• Like 4

Moments when you decide it's not so bad being only a contractor: Actually looking inside the work microwave.

• Like 4

Ugh, sorry about your father-in-law.  That's a really tough situation.  Not just the health problems, but not being able to trust that they're being managed properly, or even contact reliably.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10/27/2016

tumblr_mr9ch9rw831rp9ko0o1_400.jpg

No shoulder, no problems

Eat

Lunch - Kill City Chili, ground pork and bison variant (linking is broken in mobile, pardon the huge font)

Dinner - the very, very last square of chicken enchilada casserole

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 4/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 2/4

Dojo - 2/2

I notice it's harder to motivate myself to get out of bed when it's not a gym day. Even when I get an hour extra sleep. Bizarre.

Boring work day was boring, but the drive home....whoa boy. So it's really hard to get home in an hour or less, because Traffic. So I decided to take a Different Route home to avoid the hated road and guys. Guys. I found a one lane road--not one lane for each direction, one period. It had a wooden bridge at one point. Directly after which I had to dance with a car that wanted to go the way I had come. It was all like

tumblr_o2ph3pEqRP1s9v1vvo1_400.jpg

Still less bad than the hated road, TBPH, given it also saved me 10-15 minutes.

And then when I got on a sane road, there were two trail-behind mowers eating half our lane. What a day. BUT I did put our office back together, got a package ready to ship out, AND did two loads of laundry.

On 10/27/2016 at 1:20 PM, sarakingdom said:

Ugh, sorry about your father-in-law.  That's a really tough situation.  Not just the health problems, but not being able to trust that they're being managed properly, or even contact reliably.

Dad-in-law is going to rehab today for three weeks, then home with home health care, pending he is healthy enough, I suppose. Should be optimistic but Mike can't turn his stupid brain off when it's trying to club him to death with guilt. Anybody who's been there knows that feel. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I notice it's harder to motivate myself to get out of bed when it's not a gym day. Even when I get an hour extra sleep. Bizarre.

This is also true for me. Even on cardio days with gym buddy (honestly at this point I go because she's cool and I know having the appointment helps keep her motivated), I struggle to get out of bed on time for it. Lifting though? Let me at 'em.

51 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Should be optimistic but Mike can't turn his stupid brain off when it's trying to club him to death with guilt. Anybody who's been there knows that feel. 

Yes. :/

Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Urgan said:

This is super true for me.

Non-lifting Work day = 6:30 alarm + ~2 snoozes

Lifting day = 5:20 alarm and I wake right up

• Like 2

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

On 10/27/2016 at 9:10 AM, Urgan said:

You feel sympathy AND the burning desire to whack the man upside the head at the same time. 

Adult child of a noncompliant type2 diabetic, here.  You nailed the feels, for sure.  

No, dad, let's not have cheesecake and potato chips for dinner.  Yes, dad, you should get that sore looked at...oh, you waited too long and now they are removing your big toe?  No, let's not get McDonald's on the way home from the hospital.  

Sadly, real conversations from my life.  :abnormal:

My sympathies to you and Mike.

• Like 2

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

3 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Adult child of a noncompliant type2 diabetic, here.  You nailed the feels, for sure.  

Same. There should be a club.

My mom's ankles are perpetually purple. She doesn't see this as a problem somehow. Vegetables are no nos to her because "too many carbs" but a dinner roll is just fine "I can have one bread"

Then when she reaches for bread #2 "I'd rather die happy"

It's not even good bread mom :|

• Like 2

10/28/2016

tumblr_n1jldrkPSY1r28fbvo1_500.gif

Friday Life Goals

Eat

Lunch - BBQ pork (sans sauce) + bun, no beans because they were made of sweet syrupy death

Dinner - burrito, again

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 5/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 3/4

Dojo - 2/2

OHP -   45 1x5

58.5 3x3

68.5 1x2--PR+3.5!!

R. Delt - 10 3x10

A surprisingly epic gym day, TBH. It's just OHP day, we'll do the thing and leave, right? Well, it took so little time I figured I could afford to do some more work, and that 58.5 felt pretty light, so why not cram another 10lbs on the bar and see if I couldn't lift that. Well...

So yeah, that was my day as of dark o'clock. Then I went to work and helped Inventory by writing down numbers called down by The Mumbler from the top of a jack. That was exciting. On the more actually exciting end, free protein in the form of BBQ pork happened because we helped, I guess? Unfortunately, the beans were yuck (and slaw is universally inedible IMO) so it was protein and hamburger bun for lunch. I should have stuck to my planned lunch, oh well. The end of the day was much slower, and between all that stuff, getting back to my side of town, getting groceries, and driving home to put them up...my head felt like it was about to explode. Ate a bagel and instantly felt 100x better. Still passed out twice between returning home and bedtime (aka, when I happened to choose to turn out the lights...I was already sleeping....). 

4 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Reveal hidden contents

No, dad, let's not have cheesecake and potato chips for dinner.  Yes, dad, you should get that sore looked at...oh, you waited too long and now they are removing your big toe?  No, let's not get McDonald's on the way home from the hospital.  

Sadly, real conversations from my life.  :abnormal:

My sympathies to you and Mike.

8 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Same. There should be a club.

My mom's ankles are perpetually purple. She doesn't see this as a problem somehow. Vegetables are no nos to her because "too many carbs" but a dinner roll is just fine "I can have one bread"

Then when she reaches for bread #2 "I'd rather die happy"

It's not even good bread mom :|

When I'm feeling uncharitable, I draw comparisons between dogs and spilled antifreeze, buuuut the dogs don't have the intellectual horsepower to understand that that sweet stuff is POISON, so......yeah.

This right here, ladies and gents, is a gentle reminder of what we're dealing with when we suggest people with dietary issues should maybe change. The stuff could be killing them under a label like diabetes and it doesn't really dent their food choices. Why would we figure people without being formally diagnosed with a medical condition related to nutrition would easily part with using comfort food as a means of getting through life? I try not to think about this too hard, because it can depress (and anger) you really fast. 

• Like 2

1.)  YES YES YES OHP PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well freaking done! 

2.) I struggle with food, and am overweight.   The struggle is hard.  BUT.  I am trying.  And mostly succeeding.  My dad doesn't even seem to be trying.  Maybe it's depression, maybe it's "eff it yolo", maybe it's generational...dunno.  But you are correct.  It is quite frustrating.  Ahhh....parents.  I'm gonna compartmentalize those feelz and move on!

• Like 1

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

58 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

1.)  YES YES YES OHP PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well freaking done! 

2.) I struggle with food, and am overweight.   The struggle is hard.  BUT.  I am trying.  And mostly succeeding.  My dad doesn't even seem to be trying.  Maybe it's depression, maybe it's "eff it yolo", maybe it's generational...dunno.  But you are correct.  It is quite frustrating.  Ahhh....parents.  I'm gonna compartmentalize those feelz and move on!

72762024.jpg

I seriously respect the struggle, even falling down because you get back up and try again. I can't respect not trying and repetitive self-harm.

• Like 1

10/29/2016

tumblr_nib3fcIgeK1trj3y7o1_500.gif

Lazy Saturdays are best days

Eat

Lunch - all the spicy salmon sushi ever

Dinner - Kill City Chili redux pt 2

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 5/5

Do the Thing

Gym - 3/4

Dojo - 2/2

Not the most exciting day to report on, but it felt good--first of all, waking up Whenever I Want. Second, getting my laundry for Saturday done quickly. Third, buying some pants that favor cold weather, because cold weather in inevitable, I'm working out before the sun, and lack sufficient winter-friendly pants. Came home and ate the sushi and Big Kat (as cheap chocolate as Kit Kats are, the Big Kat feels like an epic indulgence in the best way). Had a lie down on an ice pack to help my very cranky neck. It's been that way lately, good thing my chiro appointment is Monday evening, huh?

Today I'm going to do today's report, wrapping up the challenge, AND push out next month's planned goals. Because frankly mobile is a pain for an OCD formatting nerd such as myself. Works much better for plain text, God forbid you want to use strikethrough... * grumbles *

• Like 4

10-30-2016 + WEEK 4 DEBRIEF

giphy.gif

Happy Halloween, y'all

Eat

Week 4 Average:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein   /   Sugar

AVG    2351        240            90          142             49   

TGT    2400        237          102          120           100  

DLTA -49 3 -12 22 -51

Pretty good numbers all the way around, I'd say. Sugar and carbs are up because Bagels and Candy Corn, lol.

October Average:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein   /   Sugar

AVG    2395        244            73          137            58   

TGT    2400        237          102          120           100  

DLTA     -5 7 -29 17 -42

We see much the same result here as with Week 4. Funny, normally fats are higher than this, oh well. Tomorrow I'll present the measurement comparison, because I forgot to take them this morning. Oops.

I do have Thoughts about my nutrition vs body composition without the raw data, however. I saw my weight creep up over Week 4 and my initial thought was to reset to 2300 calories, so I changed it in MFP and THEN thought to look at sodium. I've been eating higher sodium generally over this week, combined with elevated stress and/or whatever made today's lifts so poor, so of course my weight is up. It's all water. Ugh. I should have thought of that right away.

Sleep

Lights out 10PM - 100%

Perfect score here, it's probably why I'm still sane at this point!

Do the Thing

Gym - 100%

Dojo - 125%

W00t. All the gymming and Aikido-ing, felt good in spite of how tough it was to balance the Things with work. Hopefully this will get easier as time passes.

Edit: uh, completely forgot to talk about my gym session. BLAH blah, this happened:

• Like 3

[placeholder for measurements]

10/2/16                                   10/2/16

Weight: 114.8 lbs                   Weight: 115.6 lbs (+.8lb)

Waist: 24.4"                           Waist: 24.3" (-.1")

Hips: 32.1"                             Hips: 32.5"  (+.4")

Biceps(L/R): 10.1"/10.3"        Biceps(L/R): 10.3"/10.4" (+.2",+.1")

Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/9.0"         Forearm(L/R): 9.1"/9.1" (NA,+.1")

Thighs(L/R): 18.8"/18.8"        Thighs(L/R): 18.8"/18.8" (+.2",+.2")

Calves(L/R): 12.0"/12.0"        Calves(L/R): 12.0"/12.0" (NA,-.1")

Okay, body, I guess this is progress? Less mixed than last time, I think. The creatine appears to be doing its job, yeah?

November 2016 Goals!

tumblr_ofvoonGZ1Y1ul3tpzo1_500.gif

What a month October was--the last two weeks of consecutive joblessness, the first two of being employed on contract basis. My goals were super simple and probably not that exciting to read. That...probably won't change that much, but it gets somewhat better! Maybe! Onward to goals!

tumblr_of232dMnTo1rby04wo1_500.gif

Eat

MACROS MACROS MACROS. Keep an eye on sodium, not formally tracking it, but rather as a means of keeping my weight in context. 

Recover

Because I am not an adult, this will still be a goal! In bed by 10 before Aikido nights, 10:15 on non-Aikido nights.

Up With the Chickens - 5/week

Ice that Back - 4/week

Do the Thing

Work brings stress, stress hurts lifting progress. In the pursuit of restricting stress, let's assess my stress levels over the course of the day, shall we? The primary mission this time is to make myself cognizant of when I'm causing harm to myself by allowing myself to fritz out over nothing. Other goals:

Journal weekday stress - 5/week

Keep on lifting. If I fail 2x on any lift, deload 10%

Attempt to gently incorporate shrugs into my lifting regimen - 1/week

Keep on Aikido-ing, but not for a grade because I got this

Bokken work 1/week 

Here, let me distract you with candy corn:

tumblr_ofvpnolXvA1qhoe3vo1_500.jpg

And cuteness:

tumblr_ofvqetAQyw1vfaqn2o1_500.jpg

That is all. Let Halloween, Fall, and November commence!

Week Debriefs: 

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

• Like 6