40 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Followed up. No news is good news?

I don't know.  The last time I was looking, no news is no news.  After a few weeks, it was pretty obviously that no news is NO.

41 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Straight talk time.

Sorry. :(

On the other hand, I don't know how long you have been waiting for news.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

36 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I don't know.  The last time I was looking, no news is no news.  After a few weeks, it was pretty obviously that no news is NO.

Sorry. :(

On the other hand, I don't know how long you have been waiting for news.

<1 week, I don't hold out hope long, I am fluent in Rejection.

Better to face facts when your body sends a signal this loud, yeah?

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Just now, Urgan said:

<1 week, I don't hold out hope long, I am fluent in Rejection.

This sounds like my social life! :lol:

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Better to face facts when your body sends a signal this loud, yeah?

Too early.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

6 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

This sounds like my social life! :lol:

RIP.

6 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Too early.

I'll still be taking it, I'm just not hanging my hopes on it. What I do know for a fact is it lets up when I've had a Bad Time (stress and illness being Exhibits A and B). 

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Surprise!Migraines are literally the worst.  Oh, you want to be a functional human today?  NARP

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

32 minutes ago, shaar said:

Surprise!Migraines are literally the worst.  Oh, you want to be a functional human today?  NARP

The severity was the surprise, lol. But it was Not Happening yesterday, for sure.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 10:18 AM, shaar said:

#DirtyBulk

Whenever I see this, I say it in my head like that song where they say "dirty bit" real fast. I think it's a black eyed peas song.

On 4/25/2017 at 3:02 PM, Mistr said:

Um, the active ingredient in willow bark is salicylic acid, closely related to acetylsalicylic acid in aspirin. Aspirin is safer than willow bark tea because the dose is known and acetyl form of the drug has fewer side effects.

Isn't that the active ingredient in acne washes also?

20 hours ago, Urgan said:

0oqkwlxsnsDwymb3sHKgKIYarIWzkXLNQPkzvVLtJbz-LAqwdLrXpzsL5IRwQKV-z7hXO6gFFncPxIJEYXqXjSZgxpz30cCeWGgv0Wv4EGHAb2YuuSopFnlftXe3dqotxHkMlsav

Those backoff sets look like an excellent idea to me.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

3 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Whenever I see this, I say it in my head like that song where they say "dirty bit" real fast. I think it's a black eyed peas song.

I think "dirty" is half a syllable long, right?

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Isn't that the active ingredient in acne washes also?

It is one, yes. Retinol is another and is a permutation of vitamin A. Chemistry is weird.

7 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Those backoff sets look like an excellent idea to me.

I figure if the most common complaint of 5/3/1 is insufficient volume, well that's a problem we can fix easily enough. Hopefully the balance is right.

• Like 1

4/27/2017 - 4/28/2017

giphy.gif

Me on Thursday around 2

Lift

mXEyrs1LFMTsWjYlc_4Kh_10gwu8nTXrNbGhL-kuJP4esB1WV5F6JNs0WB11bGadPr3jtj-fOn-lXY7DUcDkxaoM_WsgLehL2wOpl5zpYIz_xn5jFphcJ4ZfVfbfP4eBc9pKNEdT

BP = with DBs

Aikido

Bokken - 3/4

Words

Writing - 4/4

Follow up with recruiter 

Pick an Orange Belt test date I decided that the next month's testing (after May) would be a good target to shoot for. 1.5 weeks just doesn't feel like enough prep time. 

Thursday...wasn't the best. I just kinda muddled through it, made food, and that was about it. The egg cups with ham and tomato really were not very good. They tasted like disappointment and, not to put too fine a point on it, barf. So...yeah. 

Friday was better. I did the next to last gym session on this program. It was forearm murder. Then all the job-shuffling at work. Groceries were got. And I wrote things. I did some thinking about the part I'm on over the course of the week, so it was easy. In a rare moment of clarity, I sort of have some ideas for the next month. Huh.

• Like 1

4/29/2017 - 4/30/2017 + WEEK 4 DEBRIEF

giphy.gif

#mayday

Lift

v8x8OzwgYb3C8vBchyjRqbYsBhR16PlFWCGdVGNZg0VtpVVD6bk5Ir-ODlIYj8vFMmMPJAGV4KlagQCf3lmuLkqMurJFDGPARBZjds85-gbyDjfqFCAYYFm0DmEFFlnhphtOLh8z

Yasss. Last session, smoked. 

Aikido

Bokken - 4/4

Words

Writing - 4/4

Follow up with recruiter 

Pick an Orange Belt test date 

I'd say Saturday was a pretty good day. I got a haircut, picked up Yooka-Laylee (anybody who has a bad word to say about Banjo-Kazooie, FIGHT ME), had Chick-fil-a fries, and lifted the mess out of 170lbs. I swear there's a pattern to my strength levels and this was decidedly on the upswing. Came home, played entirely too much Y-L....then went to bed. Some laundry happened in there somewhere.

Sunday was a low-key chore day. Laundry was did, cat brushing and flea medicine was administered, to the utter disgust of all involved. Dishes were cycled. Food for dinner (salmon, spinach, black-eyed peas and field snaps) was obtained while a micro-monsoon passed over us. More fries because clearly I'm not an adult and my macros are not looking awesome. Clothes are packed and ready for the busy Monday shenanigans. I did my final bokken review session here, too. Bought some iron supplements... 

CjVDKnlyR88sducaxunT0VtYfuUIsSqKm23cWm4Iu_mAdAozIuHmV8Lsb7GuAU-8HevjAmWG_ogitWHHOKT79HUMzAHRGamzY1s4E5176qVOwAqu5BugxODNp2-COvfIdb2nrS2D

Week 4 Averages:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein /  Sugar

AVG    2273         242         97          110             63

TGT    2500         281         97          125           100

YGbNg92My9WqkbllNZVWMU2EgWhPeXtplrR0z810ONYKBE73aTx1rUUZF8QxqYPkMva8_7h7p4WTazKMknRqPImi-tleO26tdhtxSg1oyLEPwI2ZMa4wvDJOPFDc4_fodPyv3o5t

...kind of amazing I did as well as I did at the gym, considering these numbers. But we know why that happened. 

A mixed month, to be fair. Most of it was beyond my control (or at least, based on what I knew at the time!). Magnesium isn't the miracle I'd hoped for, wonderful though it may be for what it does in fact do to regulate muscle tension. A spirit bomb of pain dropped on my head Wednesday and blew up my appetite. I've decided I need to make finding other employment a back burner priority--now is not the prime time for positions of this nature, but it needs to stay on the radar. Another Aikido belt test is looming on the horizon. I broke out of the log jam on my writing and may have a way to bridge the arc I was stuck on to some sort of main plot point. I'm writing the outline and started with more of an initial premise than a central plot thread, so....having to make that shit happen eventually, yeah? So all in all, each of my goals did give me answers I needed, even if they weren't the ones I wanted. Onward to May!

• Like 3

May 2017 Goals!

giphy.gif

You were there, you saw April. If not, the above post sums it well. It's May now, let's get at it.

Lift

This will be the start of 5/3/1. I have modified the mess out of it and am giving this new program a two cycle trial to see if I have a viable option here. 

The mission: log workouts. Brag or b*tch as necessary.

Recover

Last month it was all about the magnesium. But that was so last month. This month I'm focusing on sugar/crap from the vending machine and my monthly strength cycle. Those damned hormones. I eat entirely too much junk from the vending machine in the name of bolstering my calories on days where I don't have enough to eat. Seriously, I don't even like poptarts but I eat them because 400 calories is where it's at. SOOOO...obviously the solution is to pack rice and protein bars. Daily. Solves that easily enough.

The mission: This month I'm cutting allowed sugar in half--50g on average. Bring more real food to work. Log when I feel really good and when I feel like garbage under the bar. The purpose is to determine if there are factors beyond my control at least partly responsible for a week 2 crash. 

Log rolling sugar AVG: 7/wk

Log when lifts are a struggle: as needed

Aikido

More bokken work, but this time I'm adding shadow-aikido-ing to the list. It really helped me get iriminage down at the last minute. I am approaching this from the perspective of preparing for test day. That I need to determine...

The mission: Review techniques by myself. It may look silly, but like I said, it works.

Bokken - 1/week

Shadow Aikido - 2/week

Words

Can I write twice per week with the limit on what part of the story I work on removed? We shall see.

Writing - 2/week

Weekly To-Do

Bonus: Put weekly one-off things I need to remember to do here! The name says it all.

Weekly Debriefs: 

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

Recover

Last month it was all about the magnesium. But that was so last month. This month I'm focusing on sugar/crap from the vending machine and my monthly strength cycle. Those damned hormones. I eat entirely too much junk from the vending machine in the name of bolstering my calories on days where I don't have enough to eat. Seriously, I don't even like poptarts but I eat them because 400 calories is where it's at. SOOOO...obviously the solution is to pack rice and protein bars. Daily. Solves that easily enough.

The mission: This month I'm cutting allowed sugar in half--50g on average. Bring more real food to work. Log when I feel really good and when I feel like garbage under the bar. The purpose is to determine if there are factors beyond my control at least partly responsible for a week 2 crash. 

Tracking Methods:  TBD

Recovery is bae. (God I had that term, but NF has made it seem less lame and all the kool NF kids are doing it and fuck it here I go, and now it's a thing.). 

I'm sort of going through a similar thing but for different reasons. Got some calories back and was busy and burnt out and oooo look it's a brownie or a bagel or whatever else is free at work. I'm joining you in the healthy carbs extravaganza. Sort of minus today because I didn't meal prep yesterday so I have a Stouffer's Fit Kitchen TV dinner but then the rest of the week is real food I swear to all things gainz. 

cat-eating-rice-fork-bowl-1348366396Y.gi

I threw beef with some hoisin garlic sauce in the slow cooker this morning and left Mr. T with steamer bags of brown rice and vegetables (no sauce, just two bags of brown rice and two bags of broccoli cauliflower both plain) to have dinner so there will be leftovers for tomorrow (I'll be at barbell club tonight). Who can't make microwave steamer rice? 

I mean, this your thread so sorry for the hijack. Back to all things Urgan!

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

16 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Recovery is bae. (God I had that term, but NF has made it seem less lame and all the kool NF kids are doing it and fuck it here I go, and now it's a thing.). 

I refuse to use that word, however the sentiment is 100% echoed. 

18 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm sort of going through a similar thing but for different reasons. Got some calories back and was busy and burnt out and oooo look it's a brownie or a bagel or whatever else is free at work. I'm joining you in the healthy carbs extravaganza. Sort of minus today because I didn't meal prep yesterday so I have a Stouffer's Fit Kitchen TV dinner but then the rest of the week is real food I swear to all things gainz. 

cat-eating-rice-fork-bowl-1348366396Y.gi

I threw beef with some hoisin garlic sauce in the slow cooker this morning and left Mr. T with steamer bags of brown rice and vegetables (no sauce, just two bags of brown rice and two bags of broccoli cauliflower both plain) to have dinner so there will be leftovers for tomorrow (I'll be at barbell club tonight). Who can't make microwave steamer rice? 

Rice and bagels are my macro fillers du jour. Hey, it beats Poptarts and Twix, yeah?? Just realized I forgot my protein bar. Oops. Oh well. Here's hoping for peppersteak and rice or something similarly macro-friendly at my parents' house tonight. Maybe she's takibg requests....

24 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I mean, this your thread so sorry for the hijack. Back to all things Urgan!

No no, this is relevant to all our interests, I think. You're good.

Week 1 To-Do list start:

1. Research high iron foods

2. Bring box of protein bars to work

3. Check up on the usual job sites

I'm iron deficient, guys. I didn't get a blood test done. How do I know I'm deficienct, you ask? Well. Is it normal to roll out of bed sockless and start snotting and sneezing by the time you close the bathroom door? Draining in the office even though I'm wearing a jacket? Every Sunday feel like roadkill? 

Got some iron supplements and both of these symptoms were greatly relieved. Still keeping watch, but so far so good. I'd like to get my diet cleaned up such that I don't have to supplement (but obviously I will if for whatever reason I need to).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'm iron deficient, guys. I didn't get a blood test done.

Now I'm really curious how you know this without a blood test to prove it.  (read the rest of your post)

Mine were caused by a history of regular blood donations.  When I discussed with the doctor, he quickly agreed and later explained that it is usually caused by bleeding.  Since blood donation is a controlled bleed, that was very likely the cause.

The number I worked out suggested I would have to eat two to three times the recommended amounts of iron to keep up with an 8-week donation cycle.  I also heard the Red Cross loses a lot of regular donors to iron deficiency.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

19 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Now I'm really curious how you know this without a blood test to prove it.  (read the rest of your post)

Through the really scientific process of researching what causes cold symptoms if you don't ACTUALLY have a cold and anemia/iron deficiency came up. Post-supplementation difference is almost night and day. More data needed. 

Blood loss will do it....

38 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'm iron deficient, guys. I didn't get a blood test done.

Heyo, give it a go and see if it helps! You're a clever lady and won't do the biz that won't help you. Hope that's all there is!

• Like 1

/me watches your 5/3/1 journey with interest!

Rice is my preferred jam for a carb/calorie pick-me-up.  It's not uncommon for me to feel my intake start to falter mid-week, cook up some servings of brown rice before work on  Wednesday, and bring it all to store in the fridge.  With a little sea salt.  Omnomnom.

I actually thoroughly enjoy pop tarts but they're not good for my waistline too often. .___________.

Spinach is A+ for iron!  I teeter on the fine line of anemia and took supplements once for a while... it definitely helped.  I don't get regular bloodwork so who knows if I'm still on that line (probably), maybe a supplement would help me too.......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shaar said:

/me watches your 5/3/1 journey with interest!

So far, so good! It's not yet been a full day and I f'd up the number of reps I was supposed to do. Twice. Good times ahoy, y'all.

25 minutes ago, shaar said:

Rice is my preferred jam for a carb/calorie pick-me-up.  It's not uncommon for me to feel my intake start to falter mid-week, cook up some servings of brown rice before work on  Wednesday, and bring it all to store in the fridge.  With a little sea salt.  Omnomnom.

All of rice. Plus or minus veggie bits and egg. /foreshadowing 

26 minutes ago, shaar said:

I actually thoroughly enjoy pop tarts but they're not good for my waistline too often. .___________.

Tell you what, you can have the taste and I'll take the calories. Deal??

26 minutes ago, shaar said:

Spinach is A+ for iron!  I teeter on the fine line of anemia and took supplements once for a while... it definitely helped.  I don't get regular bloodwork so who knows if I'm still on that line (probably), maybe a supplement would help me too.......

If you notice feeling like crap running on empty too often to be Shark Week or not eating enough, maybe??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Urgan said:

So far, so good! It's not yet been a full day and I f'd up the number of reps I was supposed to do. Twice. Good times ahoy, y'all.

I remember when I was researching, that was the thing that got me... I need to write all this down or something?!!?!  Plate math is enough sometimes.

All of rice. Plus or minus veggie bits and egg. /foreshadowing

EGG

Far East Beef and Rice Inc~

Tell you what, you can have the taste and I'll take the calories. Deal??

SIGNED

If you notice feeling like crap running on empty too often to be Shark Week or not eating enough, maybe??

Yeah, it's so hard to tell, 532 reasons why you could be feeling like a dumpster fire...

13 minutes ago, shaar said:

I remember when I was researching, that was the thing that got me... I need to write all this down or something?!!?!  Plate math is enough sometimes.

In the first case, I just assumed warmup would start with 5 reps of empty bar. #nope

Second case, I lost count of my reps.

14 minutes ago, shaar said:

EGG

Far East Beef and Rice Inc~

And fried rice. Flavors made for one another.

14 minutes ago, shaar said:

Yeah, it's so hard to tell, 532 reasons why you could be feeling like a dumpster fire...

I like to start with the simplest--food, sleep, room temperature, before skipping down to oh, cancer, lol. A vitamin/mineral deficiency is down the trail a bit, but it can still be hard to spot until you don't wanna live anymore, you know?

• Like 1

5/1/2017

giphy.gif

It's about that time...

Lift

BP - 45 1x5--d'oh

55 1x3

65 1x3

75 1x3

80 1x3

84 3x3

OHP - 45 2x3

50 1x3

55 1x3

60 1x3

51 2x8

51 1x9--what is life?

Recover

Sugar AVG: 42 -

Lifting status: green

AVG will be tracked with ^, v, or - to indicate its movement relative to the day before.

Aikido

Bokken - 0/4

Shadow Aikido - 0/8

Words

Writing - 0/8

Weekly To-Do

1. Research high iron foods

2. Bring box of protein bars to work

3. Check up on the usual job sites

Bah. Went to look up gifs and NF ate my post. 

5/3/1 good. Right pec woke up pissed off when I stretch my shoulder, didn't care about pressing motions.Learn to count, Urgan. 

Work minded its own business for a change.

Aikido happened. Being uke for someone reviewing for a belt test somehow didn't bother my pec. Go figure. Did shomenuchi kotegaeshi, left and right, irimi and tenkan. Didn't suck. 

Pec is now at peace with the world. The end.

• Like 1