Woo Deadlift PR!!!

Re: Unflavored protein, I use the unflavored MyProtein impact - 11 lb bag is ~$8 / lb full price, but they almost always have a sale that lets you get it 20%+ off. I have no idea how reputable it is, but LabDoor rates their quality pretty highly (and I find the taste quite palatable with like a pump of flavored coffee syrup per scoop of powder).

• Like 3

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

23 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Re: Unflavored protein, I use the unflavored MyProtein impact - 11 lb bag is ~$8 / lb full price, but they almost always have a sale that lets you get it 20%+ off. I have no idea how reputable it is, but LabDoor rates their quality pretty highly (and I find the taste quite palatable with like a pump of flavored coffee syrup per scoop of powder).

I've tried their stuff in the past, but the stuff I got had soy in it and it all pretty much just passed through me. I had the good toilet paper, though, so it was okay...

• Haha 1
On 8/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, Urgan said:

I had to wait 45 minutes for <15 minutes of chiro-ing because Aikdo Time is Now. Only redeeming thing about that cluster is scared-but-curious chiro let me do technique on him. That's right, he Full Nelsoned me for pay, I kotegaeshi'd him for free. Then improvised some shit when he inquired about how to handle a choke. Above my pay grade ATM. 

Aikido was working kaitenage. And I got kicked in the head during randori after nage had taken me down to the mat. Soooooo for those of you keeping score at home, I can now authoritatively compare anything against digging a ditch AND correctly identify whether X is in fact a kick in the head. 

Ah, I take it you haven't worked on ushiro kubishime attacks yet. That is where uke grabs one of your wrists from behind and tries to choke you with the other arm. Preview tip: the first move is to pin the choking arm to your chest with your free hand so that the choke won't work. Once you have that in place you have lots of options. Being a klutz and stomping on their insteps works well outside the dojo.

Ouch, kicks hurt. I hope your sensei gave him a talking to about awareness of his surroundings. That is not supposed to happen.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

8/8/2017 - 8/10/2017

Lift

oxiz0Xvps4fQ6w3MGZ8RZXkyNOSAZaP_sTkh-eAjnrOkyPDquYhrgbr_VyBKgYS9syz4I1UR2eA0jchc1C5w-kN33v7k4IvV-ShRiv0hWJuy5JiOOZg_cuT1fft4GpjpsDt3Cl_G

Recover

Calorie AVG: 2276 / 2045 + 2316 + 2428 + 2315

Iron Maiden: 11/28

Curfew: 4/19*

The Ides: 8/7 - 8/12 - ET TU?

Aikido

Review techniques - 2/8

Weekly To-Do

Buy flea meds for the cats

Lay off the right leg

Psoas massage - 1/8

Tuesday was special. One of those days where it sick to be alive, and that extended into Wednesday. Tuesday's flood resulted in 

I elected to sleep in on Wednesday in deference to the Ides, Week 3 T-1 week to Shark Week. Figured nothing productive would happen by pushing my body while it is sluggish and achy. You know the feel. Luckily Thursday's gym session was better than Monday's. 

My calories are better at least?? Iron's good, but my curfew adherence was trash lol. Thursday night I got in bed on time, but I stayed up for a good cause. It's hard to describe precisely what brought this on, so I guess I'll default to chronological order.

Monday's chiropractic appointment I directed him to my right thigh's protective tension. Chiro noted I favor that side and my legs were uneven. Prescribed stretching.

Fast forward to mid-Tuesday's flood. I figured out my 1.5 year old tennis shoes have a hole in them. I need new shoes. I was going to buy more like the ones that need replacing, but then I got to thinking. Maybe I need to go with flat soled Converses. You know, because maybe the squishy soles aren't helping things. 

Flash forward to Thursday evening. I stay up late researching, because I was stretching aaaaand figured out the soreness is radiating from my psoas. Grab the knee and bring them up and inside, and yup, psoas light up. Massaged the area, stretched the cap out of that leg. Researched. And then it hit me. I bias to my right leg. When standing in place for a while, when doing a tough squat. I need to be mindful of posture. 

THOUGHTS??

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 8/9/2017 at 10:48 AM, MikeWazowski said:

Woo Deadlift PR!!!

On 8/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, Kishi said:

I've tried their stuff in the past, but the stuff I got had soy in it and it all pretty much just passed through me. I had the good toilet paper, though, so it was okay...

Oops. 

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

Ah, I take it you haven't worked on ushiro kubishime attacks yet. That is where uke grabs one of your wrists from behind and tries to choke you with the other arm. Preview tip: the first move is to pin the choking arm to your chest with your free hand so that the choke won't work. Once you have that in place you have lots of options. Being a klutz and stomping on their insteps works well outside the dojo.

Ouch, kicks hurt. I hope your sensei gave him a talking to about awareness of his surroundings. That is not supposed to happen.

Yeah, no good experience with front or rear chokes. Yet. 

Not sure if he did. I sat out Wednesday randomized as a security precaution. Forgot to mention the dizziness on Tuesday morning from 8 - 11-ish. That was fun. Made working more interesting.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

8/11/2017 + 8/12/2017

giphy.gif

No excuses needed

Lift

Tdj-B1ZKUTokyQBFpVxoNa0u_oi9oZqY2ZKFBgbKB6U45O5_CFi0WVs1XZNoSI83ghcmA1mfrKLcrme6kbuIl_zMUXx7b5Ja50NSr1slCtbgdFeLBZHDnQMKqwN0h-fOjthi0hn6

Recover

Calorie AVG: 2397 / 2045 + 2316 + 2428 + 2315 + 2681 + 2599

Iron Maiden: 13/28

Curfew: 5/19*

Aikido

Review techniques - 3/8

Weekly To-Do

Lay off the right leg

Psoas massage - 2/8

You guys are gonna lol so hard at my weight graph, just sayin'.....

I was so achy all over on Friday and into today. It's not lost on me that this is the week after all-out Intensity week and before Shark Week. Might have overextended just a bit. Something to keep in mind re: psoas issue. Even so, I am excited at the prospect of being able to improve my distinct asymmetric tension. I'll be trying to go back to sleeping on my back more--you know, a week from now because Reasons--I'm sure sleeping posture is not THE cause of my issues, but it surely isn't helping resolve it. That's another part of cutting my right side some slack--keeping hips and shoulders as stacked while sleeping on my side as I can, cue all the pillows. As of typing this, I think the difference between how the sides feel is less dramatic. 

The back of my head is still tender. Must have one helluva bruise there. No other symptoms that I can tell.

Saturday I just kinda sat around all day, because I am still achy. Could I have lifted? Yeah, probably. Did I have to? Nope. I have plans to make it tomorrow, I need to hit 166lbs on squat, that's not really optional. 

9 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Me, for past two months on your thread:

giphy.gif

Me, now:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I swear some of us could use a "sleeping form check".  For real.

There are so many ways I bias to my right side. In bed alone, there's angling my hips while sleeping on my side and making a number "4" with my legs, right leg being the bent one. Argh. The hydra heads of psoas pain are many.

8/13/2017 + WEEK 2 DEBRIEF

https://media2.giphy.com/media/w87yLYL7lwDWE/200w.gif

Progress

Lift

39vBpGgGOsvuVRbMPk83_Sfwfk9DhlDeSGqiYXf3Yf7Jsh6PkUgij7Ns1VjvPfnZNHJhO-rZ7Y0_qfCvV53frA-Sm2FU144XBOqs_W1JyhwgNOVQNmUpkXGYokGlj3aNwzFizeJi

Recover

Calorie AVG: 2372 / 2045 + 2316 + 2428 + 2315 + 2681 + 2599 + 2387

Iron Maiden: 14/28

Curfew: 5/19*

Week 1 Averages:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein /  Sugar

AVG    2273        237       113          112             61

TGT    2500        281         97          125             50

CUFXt8umfrYpLdfWPeOfZIXAXNIfpxlNQLCDgm_Mz3isqMBtCt06lj1inQ3EPtrnDwyC3rIjjU_kmzBGgB8Wxi5opaK7xRIhW1h4bbNyYM0Z-vcoOn_uTGXq-Y439dvl747LKFtY

k0v0tFCOn0gFk_JoNsod1fkFmO3p_PRlNoX1LoqA2j3en4AZ7bVQAmimEKnzZOsYHewuEtFEErTXGiznWaSGwZeLIKVtWXhpweP9KkFzV-JP67PAKOzL1h-Iz4P9hcOXALKlhDaR

Aikido

Review techniques - 3/8

Weekly To-Do

Lay off the right leg

Psoas massage - 2/8

I weighed myself daily and like 4 of the 7 days came up 116.6lbs. Calories have been up in the air, although the macros average out kinda okay. Sugar is high because cherries. 

I think a large part of acute psoas pain was due to Ides week/overtraining making all my joints cranky even when nothing is wrong. The  issue of protective tension is still a thing, however, and I think it is multi-factorial given how lop-sided my posture apparently is. I traded in squishy tennis shoes for flat-soled shoes.

Everything about this week was weird and "off," but I squeaked in all training days somehow. The final session, heavy squats and deadlifts, felt remarkably good, considering.

On a completely unrelated note, I discovered something positive about minor incontinence: you aren't thinking about how heavy that weight on your back is, NOW ARE YOU? Shark Week is glorious. Guess it beats feeling weak as a kitten, right up until the migraines hit any day now. Maybe.

Still haven't bought the flea med and it may take another week because All the Bills.

18 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I don't have a good answer, but as a fellow side-sleeper I sympathize. Hope this straightens out!

Miles to go and all that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I think a large part of acute psoas pain was due to Ides week/overtraining making all my joints cranky even when nothing is wrong. The  issue of protective tension is still a thing, however, and I think it is multi-factorial given how lop-sided my posture apparently is. I traded in squishy tennis shoes for flat-soled shoes.

I might have missed this in an earlier post, but have you considered any kind of stretches for that? I dunno if it works for everyone, but stretching is typically a good antidote to tension for me. Not the fancy stuff with tools either, but good old-fashioned static stretching. I took up doing that again after run practice and it's helped ease a lot of the residual tension in my legs. Maybe something like that would work for you too?

9 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I might have missed this in an earlier post, but have you considered any kind of stretches for that? I dunno if it works for everyone, but stretching is typically a good antidote to tension for me. Not the fancy stuff with tools either, but good old-fashioned static stretching. I took up doing that again after run practice and it's helped ease a lot of the residual tension in my legs. Maybe something like that would work for you too?

That's part of it, I've added massage as a requirement and that includes ROM and this inverted pigeon pose thing. All the angles I can has?

• Like 1

Here to wildly advocate for a pair of Cons.  I've had the same pair for years and best money spent ever, I wear them to the gym too and they are 100% perfecto.

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

7 minutes ago, shaar said:

Here to wildly advocate for a pair of Cons.  I've had the same pair for years and best money spent ever, I wear them to the gym too and they are 100% perfecto.

I am now in possession of two pair, one for deadlifting that I've had ever since lifting was a thing, the other for the abuses of life. It's amazing how you never question your shoes 'til like, they spring a leak during monsoon season, ya know??

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I am now in possession of two pair, one for deadlifting that I've had ever since lifting was a thing, the other for the abuses of life. It's amazing how you never question your shoes 'til like, they spring a leak during monsoon season, ya know??

I made the mistake of wearing sandals out this weekend when Monsoon #587 hit and phew, not the best idea.  Went home, dried my feet, put on my Real Shoes, and went out again.  It's the little things!!

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

36 minutes ago, shaar said:

I made the mistake of wearing sandals out this weekend when Monsoon #587 hit and phew, not the best idea.  Went home, dried my feet, put on my Real Shoes, and went out again.  It's the little things!!

The feel is too real.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shaar said:

Hahaha...I wore a pair of sandals to work and had to go out in the rain (travel between buildings).  Dashing through the rain was fine, but the leather stretching in my sandals was anoying until I could stay still and let them shrink while drying on my feet. 

• Like 2

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

8/14/2017 - 8/16/2017

giphy.gif

Hormones

Lift

SZ-pktD1g77uF47d3-mJAWuwXLVsMSRXBzLKsJTnel4mBPxrzLmNeIUJfR4SlpVRp0aFcgwoGmbHAI7dZg0E7R2NZ0VHITKIzcFmJ0AY4Cg_AN_fDO0H6KOFHkuXGGJzr-lwKbiY

Recover

Calorie AVG: 2367 / 2343 + 2908 + 1851

Iron Maiden: 17/28

Curfew:75/19*

Aikido

Review techniques - 3/8

Weekly To-Do

Lay off the right leg

Psoas massage - 4/8

Holy carp, guys. Sorry to only just be reporting in on THURSDAY, but yeah. Shark Week. It happened again.

Monday was fine and normal, I did the gym thing and Aikido whatnot. On 4.5 hours of sleep. Not because I was bad, but because I could. Not. Fall. Asleep. So maybe I was a little punchy, nothing coffee at 6:30PM can't cure. We did bokken work, for which I was enormously grateful (Shark Week + getting thrown repeatedly + getting up repeatedly = NO). Minor psoas work before bed.

Tuesday was meh from start and bleh to finish. The migraine started in around 4~. Did not cook, did not pass go or collect $200. 

Wednesday was Oh HELL no on all fronts.  No appetite, no lifts, no Aikido, no joy. Napped from 5-7:30, 8-12:30, 3:30-5, and 10:30-11:30. Fell back asleep until 5 the next morning. Very full schedule. When I was awake, I felt like shit for feeling too much like shit to do anything, so I was a hero and made actual dinner. I did a weensy bit of psoas work, which is improving BTW. I can get the two sides to feel identical now. Pondering if it will ever be possible to make the stress on both sides of my body more equal than they are now. If I could, would that affect Shark Week?

booo sorry about the killer week. my friend has been getting migraines recently during shark week. she is not diligent enough to be able to figure out what might be causing it though.

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

4 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

booo sorry about the killer week. my friend has been getting migraines recently during shark week. she is not diligent enough to be able to figure out what might be causing it though.

This may be a fruitless question, but does she only get 'em on one side/same spots on her head??

33 minutes ago, Urgan said:

This may be a fruitless question, but does she only get 'em on one side/same spots on her head??

Exact same spot, above her right eye

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

9 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Exact same spot, above her right eye

For srs? That's me, too. Wonder if that side is more tense in general, also. 

9 minutes ago, Urgan said:

For srs? That's me, too. Wonder if that side is more tense in general, also. 

shoot! just found out that shark week doesn't bring them for her. thought it did :( ugh. BODIES.

that side could be more tense for her though, i know she is right-handed. she is sporadic with her exercise. sometimes lots of running, sometimes lifting. she roasts coffee for a living though so is always moving around those heavy bags.

Instagram | pinterest