On 8/30/2017 at 1:25 PM, Urgan said:

It was a case of powerful signaling that recovery was a better use of time than applying more stress. Although TBPH I kinda wanted to have my cake and eat it, too. Always end up feeling guilty anyway. Good times. 

SAME. i always feel guilty when i choose to sleep in in lieu of gyming. even for a perfectly acceptable reason. we'll just have to keep coming on NF so that outside perspective can remind us IT'S OKAY.

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

4 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i always feel guilty when i choose to sleep in in lieu of gyming.

At first, I thought you said, "I always feel guilty when I choose to sleep in lieu of gaming!  #oldmanproblems

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

31 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

SAME. i always feel guilty when i choose to sleep in in lieu of gyming. even for a perfectly acceptable reason. we'll just have to keep coming on NF so that outside perspective can remind us IT'S OKAY.

In this boat also, total guilt fest over not gymming the second I got back in town, because post-vacation crud. But still the best decision all around.

• Like 2
On 8/30/2017 at 5:27 PM, Nadoriel said:

Omg I miss aikido so much! I had plenty of fun when I did it before university xD I hate shift work sometimes... 

Sleeping is important *. * and eating muahahah as long as it doesn't prevent you from sleeping at night? 

It is SUCH a small world, isn't it? Work is just the worst. 

I tell you, I could probably chug a Red Bull just before bed and still conk out, the way my job has me out of gas by day's end. I will never put that to the test, because it would require actually drinking one.

22 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

22 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

At first, I thought you said, "I always feel guilty when I choose to sleep in lieu of gaming!  #oldmanproblems

#rememberwhen #gamingallnight 

#whatismoney

21 hours ago, ixaera said:

In this boat also, total guilt fest over not gymming the second I got back in town, because post-vacation crud. But still the best decision all around.

I am done trying to fitness where it just isn't happening this work week. I tried my best to get a session in today, but Harvey reached out with a trailing finger and flipped me very specifically off by knocking out the power to my gym. WTF do you do with that hour between gym and heading to work?? Ugh. Went back to bed for 15 minutes because f*** mornings anyway. 

Just gonna be repeating this week's programming next week because only getting half the days in is a fail.

It's been busy at work. Got a real cluster that is due to go out to client today. Cue Mad Scramble, track 3.

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Work is the worst XD I had to give it up while at uni because of my placements. Hmm.. I dunno... I have aikido kinda nearby. Although things are pretty expensive here, you actually pay by class and not monthly. One day I'll muster the courage to try it out xD

I think I'm the same, except I actually drink coffees during all my breaks at work, get home and sleep very easily. On night shifts I'm lucky cause I go straight to bed. But during day shifts I sometimes fall asleep right after dinner, in my couch xD Actually I sometimes fall asleep even at work, on my breaks, even after I drink the coffee.

I guess I'm just one of those which caffeine as 0 effect.

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

September 2017 Goals!

giphy.gif

Trying to process Life

Oh yeah, I'm doing this whole battle log thing, right? Here's the thing. I am really struggling with this whole work/lifestyle balance deal. Specifically, a lot of unhappiness about always feeling like I am running behind and not getting anything done. I am going to give this formula a bit of a (gradual) shakeup and make goals on a week-to-week basis. These goals are going to be all about Adulting and will expand and/or change as I feel I have made progress on/conquered prior goals. My very first target is going to be...

giphy.gif

Sleep

A large part of the problem could be because when at home, I have to take an hour+ nap before cooking dinner during the work week, then I am functional enough to...stay up too late with the Youtubes. If I am not doing laundry, working out, or cooking during the weekend, I am lying down sleeping, weaving in and out thereof, or wishing I was there. A lot more feeling worn out than anything else. So the most obvious plan is to attempt a hard reset. Curfew is lights out at 10:30 and noooooo napping Tuesday and Thursday. It may come down to getting in bed really, really early for a little while. 

Curfew: 0/3

No naps: 0/2

Weekly Debriefs:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

A word on the past few days. I went to the gym Saturday and Sunday. This has definitely not been the best week in terms of performance, I have felt It in the form of really poor recovery and weights feeling a little too heavy. I'm going to blame it on the Ides and move on. I was in bed the majority of Monday. I have not exactly been a paragon of industry. Sluggish has been the watch word. Meh. 

Sleep is for the strong. You are strong. You should sleep more. I have a hunch that getting more of it in a more organized fashion is going to do you a lot of good.

The Youtube has been keeping me up too. I've been watching through Man At Arms, which is this blacksmithing show where they try to recreate weapons from movies, anime, video games, TV, books, etc. They don't seem to have a limit in terms of what they can actually do, and it's hugely impressive.

And in case you're interested, those episodes aren't going anywhere, so you can still sleep and catch them later. :'D

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Urgan said:

Curfew is lights out at 10:30 and noooooo napping Tuesday and Thursday. It may come down to getting in bed really, really early for a little while. 

Curfew: 0/3

Weekly Debriefs: TBD

plan is good. going to bed early is fiiiiine! I start getting ready for bed at 8pm and lights out for me as 9pm so you are not in the early to bed camp alone :D 

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

9/5/2017

giphy.gif

KILLING ALL THE GOALS

Sleep

Curfew: 1/3

No naps: 1/2

Well now. I managed to not nap, not sit/lie down until bedtime, cooked two meals, and fell asleep BEFORE curfew.

With the lights on.

But still. This is what progress looks like. And considering I had a really hard time getting to sleep on Monday night, bordering on a miracle. 

• Like 3

9/6/2017

giphy.gif

...'Kay

Sleep

Curfew: 2/3

No naps: 1/2

Did the fall asleep with lights on thing again, but I did not do my usual thing at least, darnit. I hope to soon address this fall asleep, wake up, THEN get ready for bed business. But first, we make this the new baseline.

Gym and Aikido happened. Lifts were a repeat of last week's, if ya know, I had actually DONE last week's. Which by default makes this week more successful. Knee/upper leg discomfort was the theme of the day, exacerbated by sitting in this chair. The chair doesn't hurt me  because Perfect Right Angles, but when I hurt it makes it worse, ya dig? I think I am more prone to joint pain when trying to push past the Ides like NBD. I'm pondering taking a low volume week (not a deload, per say. Intensity will stay high) to coincide with every Ides and see if knocking off the volume on that specific week does the trick. I am afraid it may jank with my progress, but so is this intermittent joint funk #justsayin' 

Aikido was an experience. Do a technique I felt comfortable with going in...feel less comfortable going out. I did spot a correction I needed to make all by myself (cross step instead of straight step), not sure if I was doing it that way before and forgot this time? Oh well. Third wheel in a three person group made it a lot less fun this time, too. Next time and all that.

22 hours ago, ixaera said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

21 hours ago, Kishi said:

tumblr_mxkn1bWXhu1qdlh1io1_400.gif

THESE GOALS FALL LIKE DOMINOES (DOMINOES)

I kept trying to find happy gifs, but the computer wouldn't let me source them, so. Glad to hear that the sleep is off to a good start!

These goals are building blocks, so to speak. 

11 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Possibly relevant to your interests!

Anyway, he's clearly citing original 5/3/1 which is not what you're doing, and the obvious problem he sees with original 5/3/1 is the same as what we see, not enough volume/intensity, which you then addressed.

Interesting, anyway!

Yeah, you just can't do 5/3/1 as written without either doing a crapload of accessory work (what is time, anyway?) or modifying the dickens out of it. I've basically written myself a program using 5/3/1 as a warmup and rep yardstick lol. So far I am immensely pleased with it and am only just now modifying it a little to keep bench weight going up (dropping 1 set from 3s day). 

• Like 3

Yeah, that was one thing that really surprised me in my time flirting with 5/3/1. He likes to bill it as this super-basic, fast program, in and out of the gym in no time. But holy crow is that not true.

I'll want to watch that Alan Thrall video later, just because I like him.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, that was one thing that really surprised me in my time flirting with 5/3/1. He likes to bill it as this super-basic, fast program, in and out of the gym in no time*. But holy crow is that not true.

*Some restrictions apply. Only for barebones program. Not available in all states.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9/7/2017 + 9/8/2017

giphy.gif

The lazies did not win this day

Sleep

Curfew: 3/3

No naps: 2/2

I am noticing a pattern of falling asleep BEFORE curfew, which leads me to waking back up, finishing getting ready for bed, and then turning out the light for real. Friday evening was hard. This week was hard, but then enforcing this You Have One Job will inevitably be tough at first. I know it will pay off. 

Thursday was generally unremarkable for most of the day. The main thing is I did not let myself lie all the way down and migrated to the couch, which is 30% as comfy as the bed. I made dinner more or less right away then bedtime. 

Friday I lifted the things.

Tg9Zb6A6Ww4D-bnloXO9isoaamd6hUud_ksgWlsvcoUpvKy_rDArMJP_PMKJBKlBLEr3-gV9WdA8QpjFXSmBCm_4KHlnrEjICueZm3iTQEdTtWYLtpzGXYXT23HnJIBmkDWVGTxG

NBD, just 3x3'd my 3RM on OHP. Looked better than last week's one triple. As I said, Ides is maybe probably a thing. It's not on the same week as Shark Week, but I definitely have a "Down Week" in the gym, so to speak. A way to work around this is to plan a low volume week to coincide with it and see if I can ditch the all over joint soreness that acts up more some parts of the month than others. 

Things I have learned on Friday:

1. 13 oz of bottled iced coffee = 2 x sugar of 6 mini powdered doughnuts.

2. Dark Chocolate Twix is Not Worth It

Guess which breakfast item I bought.

Also, while I cannot say I suffered for having eaten the Twix, I can also say there are more worthwhile ways to do IIFYM. You know what I'm saying? 

• Like 3

On 9/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, Urgan said:

Friday I lifted the things.

Tg9Zb6A6Ww4D-bnloXO9isoaamd6hUud_ksgWlsvcoUpvKy_rDArMJP_PMKJBKlBLEr3-gV9WdA8QpjFXSmBCm_4KHlnrEjICueZm3iTQEdTtWYLtpzGXYXT23HnJIBmkDWVGTxG

NBD, just 3x3'd my 3RM on OHP. Looked better than last week's one triple. 

AMAZING! OHP is so tough dude. 

On 9/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, Urgan said:

Things I have learned on Friday:

1. 13 oz of bottled iced coffee = 2 x sugar of 6 mini powdered doughnuts.

2. Dark Chocolate Twix is Not Worth It

Guess which breakfast item I bought.

Also, while I cannot say I suffered for having eaten the Twix, I can also say there are more worthwhile ways to do IIFYM. You know what I'm saying? 

These things happen. I went to the store to buy ham (I was craving ham and cheese eggs for breakfast) and I also came back with pumpkin donuts becauseIhiked4milesanditscooloutsideandwhodoesn'tlikedonuts. Needlessly to say I did not eat well yesterday. And you can also guess what I ate for breakfast this morning. 

So what I'm saying is, I feel ya. 

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

9/9/2017 + 9/10/2017

giphy.gif

I can has new work plz?

Sleep

Curfew: 3/3

No naps: 2/2

FyZmmQDKVjiaKiHJy3zNFjdB391QSC_NPRLS7nADUySvzTihELmh47Fsy9s_XMJsHwpBg9ymZDWvISH5gF-n6W_2vp-bUY568HzD775_914ncNblUs9f9gr2tddqIfFOGF-4ZIUR

Week 1 Averages:

Cals   /   Carbs   /   Fats    /  Protein /  Sugar

AVG    2448        243         116          105              62

TGT    2500        281         97          125             50

cqiwVHUsiZnp2AZTVNmyhUErs0buW2DL1OYb_zmlD7v3SP_egF60anN-_n6S0DjtiNF96bMI7vQqYn_NsIBHpITtEtC6ys2uTycEkqSyqjJPKK3_CCpH5DzytAoEBjQ2T5cysf-d

EMiiKmJ8-RwyCkyaWTj1Ehix6ued8vRdwRxiFDfu-uh9IoytwvRreuTFA24qkK58xljsFxVMFxpJWGHMH0pWIdxjK_WgkMtuLKL6uXxI5t7Am9p0sl3ARgrMdjapveOxR6Hnqnfj

The usual stuff. I relifted last week's weights, with a net improvement. Sunday I had the energy to do chores and stuff.

I will post this week's goals eventually. Just found out this company doesn't pay contractors on days when the entire office is shut down. I have gotten paid for every other major holiday, so I am not sure why this one is in dispute, but whatever. It doesn't matter except as a pay hit already taken, because there's no point in coming up here and being the only one in this part of the building. * other thoughts censored * 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

AMAZING! OHP is so tough dude. 

I think the trick is like bench, all the volume at as high an intensity as you can stand? ALL THE DOMS.

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

These things happen. I went to the store to buy ham (I was craving ham and cheese eggs for breakfast) and I also came back with pumpkin donuts becauseIhiked4milesanditscooloutsideandwhodoesn'tlikedonuts. Needlessly to say I did not eat well yesterday. And you can also guess what I ate for breakfast this morning. 

So what I'm saying is, I feel ya. 

I kinda think the Hostess ones would have been better. The macros in general are better or identical to the Krispy Kreme variety. Go figure. 

Also, ham and cheese eggs is a thing I would not mind having right now...

* stares at molded bagels in trashcan *

* whimpers *

• Like 1

BE STRONG. The bagels are not worthy of your love. They deserve wrath! WRATH. The only thing they are worth is fuel for the fire!

incidentally, bagels don't burn that good. Which just goes to show what kind of fuel they are.

Also, way to triple your triple!

• Like 1

September Week 2 Goals + 9/11/2017

giphy.gif

GTFO, Irma

Hi. I'm late, I know. Oh well. Work sapped my will to live and stuff. Shark Week is Coming. Funtiems ahoy.

Sleep

I have already seen some sign of this improving things. This is continuing, because Important. If I keep seeing signs of Falling Asleep pre-curfew, I will have to adjust accordingly.

Curfew: 1/5

Food

I ran out of bagels and the store did not have any of the kind I prefer. Also I have sniffling, runny, stuffed-up nose, cold sensitivity, bloating, off-and-on diarrhea (you're welcome), and nail ridges. Some of these symptoms I have attributed to dairy, and they might be--or at least they might be Not Helping. I almost had a breakdown about impending Shark Week (head pain = only certain sides of head can be slept on) intersecting with the limitations of Drainage while trying to go to sleep last night. Picture this: it's light's out time, but you have a stuffed up head, yet somehow drippy at the same time, and pair that up with intestinal issues and the unshakable feeling like needing to use the bathroom. It was a Good Time to be me, yes sir.

Decided I would have to be a Big Girl, break down and start eliminating some things. I did not have this problem a year ago. It's hard to think like that in the middle of the symptoms, you know? This isn't normal. I cannot eliminate a dumb thyroid as the problem, because I cannot do my own bloodwork, but I can not eat wheat and start to eliminate grains. Yup, I have come to a place where I am willing to give this a try. I figure if I at least ditch bread right this minute, I should see some benefit from that. The operating theory is my bagels are blocking the zinc and iron I eat from doing any good. Going forward I will do my best to scrub my diet of grains to give this option the greatest opportunity for success. Thinking about picking up a zinc supplement just to get me over this hump faster?

No bread: 1/7

Clean

Mmkay, so this is the other thing that caused a micro-meltdown and a restructuring of my priorities. I need to keep my habitat remotely livable. Because of Shark Week, my goal load will be light because Wednesday - Thursday are going to probably fall into a black hole. Also, Fall is nearly upon us. It's hinting at an approach. As evidence of the benefits of my sleep goal, I had the energy to pull down alllll of my clothes that might be cold weather appropriate. The great Try-On-Athon is upon us once again, ladies and gents.

Clean Something: 0/1

Try on Clothes: 0/1

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

BE STRONG. The bagels are not worthy of your love. They deserve wrath! WRATH. The only thing they are worth is fuel for the fire!

incidentally, bagels don't burn that good. Which just goes to show what kind of fuel they are.

Also, way to triple your triple!

...yeah. Yeah. I think maybe there is something to the burning thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

I cannot eliminate a dumb thyroid as the problem, because I cannot do my own bloodwork

If at some point you're already at the doc getting bloodwork, they can usually run a T4 or TSH (ideally both) test for not-inflated amounts of money. (I appear to not have to pay out the wazoo for a cholesterol test when I do my thyroid checkups, anyway.) Worth thinking about. Dumb thyroids are ridiculously common.

Just now, ixaera said:

If at some point you're already at the doc getting bloodwork, they can usually run a T4 or TSH (ideally both) test for not-inflated amounts of money. (I appear to not have to pay out the wazoo for a cholesterol test when I do my thyroid checkups, anyway.) Worth thinking about. Dumb thyroids are ridiculously common.

At this very moment, with a  long sleeve on, post-Irma coolness, and a thermostat that has yet to catch up, my nose feels pretty good. This place is a mediocre to poor indicator, but it's something. I have reason to be vaguely optimistic for the moment.