I've been doing the morning/evening skin moisturizing for several years now. I use a no-frills soap that dries my skin. Moisturizing feels good. Lots of positive reinforcement to do it. My daytime moisturizer has spf 15 sunscreen, on the advice of my doctor.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:27 PM, Urgan said:

I've never been accused of managing stress super well. At least maybe one day I'll get this whole getting in bed on time thing nailed down. 

If you do, let me know how. I'm continuing to struggle with that.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

11/6/2017

giphy.gif

Just thinking about people and their opinions about food is like

Lift

This is the start of 5s week. Bench and OHP time. As mentioned before, I got a new bench 5RM of 85lbs, so that was a good sign for the week. 

Food

Calories: 2117

Protein: 116

Fiber: 53

I might have overkilled fiber just a bit. Oh well.

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 1/28

Callus care: 0/4

Bokken time: 0/4

A shockingly decent start to the week as far as gym and energy goes. Work was one giant roadblock after another. DST struck over the weekend, which means yahoos on the road when I go to the gym and darkness when I travel across town for dojo time. Can we please cancel DST forever?

Somebody from a random Boston bank is calling me incessantly and I do not want to pick up the phone and talk to someone who has called 5 times in <20 minutes.  

On 11/7/2017 at 9:18 AM, Kishi said:

Hey, you survived the explosion. Lots of people don't do that. Most of the non-Rebels I know would have let one single event like what you dealt with derail them for weeks/month(s), but not you. You dug in and kept fighting. I respect how mundane that must seem to you, now, since you been at this for a while, but it's really something special, and FWIW I hope you realize that.

I'm sorry to hear that your awesome is such a struggle right now. But it also sounds like things are getting better too. I hope it gets better in leaps and bounds for you in the coming month. :)

I guess it's because there is no alternative lifestyle. It's my mission to feel as consistently the same as Shark Week and Life in general will allow. Doing that while not having to subject myself to the unasked-for opinions of the peanut gallery (coworkers), because food is a big part of this goal, as it turns out, and not eating random crap requires a lot of dealing with peer pressure. Fortunately I do not crave the approval of others. 

On 11/7/2017 at 3:50 PM, Mistr said:

I've been doing the morning/evening skin moisturizing for several years now. I use a no-frills soap that dries my skin. Moisturizing feels good. Lots of positive reinforcement to do it. My daytime moisturizer has spf 15 sunscreen, on the advice of my doctor.

If you do, let me know how. I'm continuing to struggle with that.

I do it seasonally, because in the summer I would feel like a slug if I did it all the time. Or even more like a slug. I have an issue with oily skin except for when I'm not and I have a problem with dryness.

My mantra is, think of how crappy you will feel tomorrow if you don't behave like an Adult. Success rate is about 75%.

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

14 hours ago, Urgan said:

A shockingly decent start to the week as far as gym and energy goes. Work was one giant roadblock after another. DST struck over the weekend, which means yahoos on the road when I go to the gym and darkness when I travel across town for dojo time. Can we please cancel DST forever?

i heard they're actually petitioning to do that for the EDT zone.

14 hours ago, Urgan said:

I do it seasonally, because in the summer I would feel like a slug if I did it all the time. Or even more like a slug. I have an issue with oily skin except for when I'm not and I have a problem with dryness.

sameeeee. i found a nice moisturizer from a nearby farm that has been treating me well though. on special event days i'll use this over my makeup when my tzone starts getting oily. on regular days i just don't care enough :P 

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

11/7/2017 + 11/8/2017

giphy.gif

Yes. yes he do

Lift

An unremarkable Wednesday 5s day for lower body. 

Food

Calories: 2307 | 2428, 2376

Protein: 135 | 154, 135

Fiber: 43 | 22, 53

Allllll the fiber.

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 3/28

Sled time: 0/4

I knew I forgot something when I wrote this month's goals. Sled time, get.

Tuesday was so boring that it was beyond all description. Wednesday was so insane I did not go to Aikido, but went straight home after picking up dinner. My computer is not physically capable of doing the work that needed to be done, so I spent 9 hours fighting hardware limitations to end in failure. Dinner pickup of course included a forced wait because they couldn't not be out of the chicken. 

On a totally unrelated note, do you know what you do when your sibling relays a gift-wrapped cash money offer to buy rural property belonging to your deceased parents that's been sitting around deteriorating for like 10 years and you didn't have to lift a finger to take care of said property from a distance once in all that time and won't have to do anything except sign some papers to get desperately needed cash? Did I mention it's rural and only so many people want land to put cows on with dilapidated buildings nobody has lived in for years in a place where more people are leaving/dying than not? Buildings people are breaking into and rendering the area unsafe for locals, much less out-of-towners?

You REJECT the shit out of it because it's not quite the amount you wanted.

That was what my parents were dealing with.

So.

Wednesday can go die now plzkthx. 

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Ugh :/ 

That sounds like the type of crap my ex's parents would pull a lot (and then wonder why I didn't like them very much).

Fact: Assholes don't know they stink.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Ugh. My sympathy.

It is amazing what people can believe about property values and demand for said property. Everyone always imagines getting at least as much as the top price for nearby properties, regardless of the relative condition and (lack of) amenities of their own property. If said property was in a major metro area with a seller's market, maybe. Who exactly has use for land in Podunk county, miles from Nowhereville? In a rural area you can count the number of potential buyers on your fingers.

The same thing happens frequently when older relatives need to downsize. They remember how expensive their furniture and appliances were when they bought them. They don't consider how little demand there is for 40-year old used stuff. Even things that are actual antiques are hard to sell. You're lucky to find a charity shop that will come and pick up the big items.

• Like 3

Level 76  Viking paladin

I empathize with your work problems. I'm in a similar spot right now - I need different parts of the bureaucratic machine to work, and they just can't even right now. People whose signatures I need to progress my cases aren't in, and their slack isn't being picked up by the other parts of the machine.

It sucks when the hardware you have can't accomplish the tasks you need. ^_^;

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

That was what my parents were dealing with.

Yeesh. Frankly it sounds like he should be glad he got an offer period. A chance to unload unused property for a profit and he turned it down because it wasn't good enough? Dude. What.

20 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeesh. Frankly it sounds like he should be glad he got an offer period. A chance to unload unused property for a profit and he turned it down because it wasn't good enough? Dude. What.

All she cares about is money and it's the damnest thing but she can't ever get enough of it to keep her out of trouble. Know anybody like that?

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Ugh. My sympathy.

It is amazing what people can believe about property values and demand for said property. Everyone always imagines getting at least as much as the top price for nearby properties, regardless of the relative condition and (lack of) amenities of their own property. If said property was in a major metro area with a seller's market, maybe. Who exactly has use for land in Podunk county, miles from Nowhereville? In a rural area you can count the number of potential buyers on your fingers.

The same thing happens frequently when older relatives need to downsize. They remember how expensive their furniture and appliances were when they bought them. They don't consider how little demand there is for 40-year old used stuff. Even things that are actual antiques are hard to sell. You're lucky to find a charity shop that will come and pick up the big items.

She doesn't have any IDEA what it's like to peel rat carcasses off of her parents' stuff and having to make these kind of decisions. Nobody has the space to keep the things that they honestly want to save and they sure don't have the space to house stuff that is salvageable but better off with someone else who needs.

• Like 1

11/9/2017

giphy.gif

A fine mess

Lift

Rest day.

Food

Calories: 2259 | 2113

Protein: 130 | 114

Fiber: 38 | 22

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 4/28

Sled time: 0/4

One of those boring days where the best thing about it is bedtime. I am finally seeing myself getting ahead of the dry skin issue, though. 

That feel when you can tell how many people are off today because of how slow Instagram is to update with new stuff. Poor timing since lots of people are off work today, reducing the options of things I have to work on by a Whole Lot. The only good thing about this is there's fewer people to care that I worked my butt off (for no results) on Wednesday right through lunch, so I get off an hour earlier today. Woo hoo?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Urgan said:

giphy.gif

my spirit animal

52 minutes ago, Urgan said:

That feel when you can tell how many people are off today because of how slow Instagram is to update with new stuff. Poor timing since lots of people are off work today, reducing the options of things I have to work on by a Whole Lot. The only good thing about this is there's fewer people to care that I worked my butt off (for no results) on Wednesday right through lunch, so I get off an hour earlier today. Woo hoo?

An hour ain't nothing, gonna try to sneak out a touch early myself, depends on how conspicuous it would be... so boring today ;_;

• Haha 1

11/10/2017 - 11/12/2017

giphy.gif

Can't, I have plans

Lift

Squats

45     5

105  5

135  5

140  5

162   2

156   6

156   2x5

Deadlifts

135   5

145   5

165   5

190   2

181   3x5

I oopsed squats and should have done 3x5, but first set was 6 due to being distracted. Those were some heavy 5s. Deadlifts were solid. 

Food

Calories: 2286 | 2379, 2352, 2239

Protein: 126 | 117, 131, 113

Fiber: 35 | 48, 45, 9

That isn't a typo. 9 whole gs of fiber on Sunday. Otherwise, NAILED IT. On Saturday I accidentally nailed my carbs and fats right on the nose (aka, MFP said I had 0g of each left by day's end). When does this actually happen?

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 6/28

Callus care: 1/4

Bokken time: 1/4

Sled time: 1/4 123lbs, 15 minutes, 400 ft

Food and lifting are on point this week. No weirdness with hormones to speak of, just the usual work roller coaster this week. Which is kind of a big deal, considering last month. Missed a lotion day, but only because I didn't take care of my hands properly twice, just the once. I played around with yokomenuchi suburi, it felt mega weird. More practice needed. Then I crawled in bed and napped all the naps on Sunday. I hurry up and get the required stuff out of the way then go back to bed, for srs. 

Now if I can just get through this week without crashing and stuff, that'd be great. Let's have all the crappy feels on one week so I can at least PLAN for it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Now if I can just get through this week without crashing and stuff, that'd be great. Let's have all the crappy feels on one week so I can at least PLAN for it.

Yeah, and now rather than next week when the holiday rolls around. That'll be trouble enough when it comes.

3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, and now rather than next week when the holiday rolls around. That'll be trouble enough when it comes.

OTOH, a good excuse to eat then go back upstairs to avoid having to listen to certain people. #justsayin

Seriously, though, I am glad my body didn't decide to stick with moving the energy drop thing it does up a week again. Maybe just maybe I'm onto something. 

• Like 3

11/13/2017 - 11/15/2017

giphy.gif

Circa survive

Lift

Monday

Bench

45       5

70       5

75       3

85       1

93       1

98       1

102.5 1--2.5lb PR!!

OHP

45       5

50       5

55       3

60       1

70       1

56       3x3

Wednesday

Squats

45      5

135    5

140    3

155    1

172    1

175    1

177.5 1

180    1

Deadlifts

135   5

165   3

180   1

190   1

162   3x3

Dat PR feel.

Food

Calories: 2534 | 2621, 2786, 2442

Protein: 139 | 149, 155, 125

Fiber: 33 | 18, 55, 22

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 8/28

Callus care: 2/4

Bokken time: 1/4

Sled time: 1/4

Sorry for letting dust gather here again. Migraine hit me like 10 tons of bricks attached to a wrecking ball that was shot out of a cannon like

giphy.gif

You feel me?

I did PR on bench and felt pretty darn good on squats, seeing as how I was only supposed to go to 172lbs. I could have totally hit 185 and maybe more, but deadlifts. So. Saturday will be interesting. Otherwise, I'll just be outlasting this week.

• Like 2

nice PR!! i'm guessing you got the migraine after those workouts otherwise that is pretty boss of you. hopefully you're feeling better!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

nice PR!! i'm guessing you got the migraine after those workouts otherwise that is pretty boss of you. hopefully you're feeling better!

Actually the migraine hit Tuesday morning, so. Monday I was pain-free, and Wednesday was All the Pain. Except I feel fine while in the gym, because there is less temptation/mandate to stare at backlit screens and I hadn't driven far yet.  

• Like 1

11/16/2017 - 11/19/2017

giphy.gif

Not today

Lift

Friday

OHP

45       5

55       3

63       1

70       1

73       1

80       1--2.5lb PR!       

Saturday

Squats

45      5

135    5

140    3

155    1

172    1

180    1

185    1

190    1

Bench

45       5

70       5

75       3

85       1

93       1

76   3x3

Deadlifts

145   5

165   3

180   1

200   1

209   1

225   1

237.5 2x0

Friday's PR was spoiled by my camera peace-ing out for the one critical set. Took nearly 7 minutes of boring footage thereafter with no trouble whatsoever. Diva phone. Only had time to do OHP on Friday, so bench happened on Saturday. I tried to make it 3 PRs this week, but no dice.

Food

Calories: 2522 | 2583, 2349, 2313, 2561

Protein: 128 | 141, 99, 99, 128

Fiber: 27 | 7, 44, 27, 14

Pitifully schizophrenic. There are days when I have oatmeal and fruit, and then there are every other days. COUGH. Yup, got this all under control.

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 9/28

Callus care: 2/4

Bokken time: 2/4

So I have figured out I am really bad at moisturizing TWICE per day, particularly in reference to my hands. I do so all over the once and my face specifically twice, but hands are out of the picture. Yeah, I know. I'm talented. I did manage to do something to attack my calluses, so there is that. In general, my skin is less bad than when I started this goal. Winter hits hard and I hope this stays true. No sled time because I decided I needed to not pile stress on after those deadlift attempts. Meh.

Some things I forgot to mention because I cannot remember anything when I actually sit down to write these. Monday was chiro day, so no Aikido happened. I had to run an errand in a strange land after being stressed out, so I did what any red-blooded human would and bought Chick-fil-a fries for dinner then went home and ate chocolate. I actually had very nearly good macros that day thanks entirely to lunch. Wednesday was Brain Pain, USA, so obviously that precluded driving in the dark. Now the dojo is closed for Thanksgiving. SIGH. I'm going to forget how to do the thing by the time 2018 rolls around.

• Like 2

Yay for the PRs!

Boo for the migraine!

When do your hands feel dry? I keep a small bottle of moisturizer in my desk at work because I find the soap at work is super drying. I keep moisturizer next to the kitchen sink too. In practice I never use that one because my hands don't feel dry after I was dishes.

I hope you can keep the family stress to a minimum and enjoy Turkey day.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

19 minutes ago, Mistr said:

When do your hands feel dry? I keep a small bottle of moisturizer in my desk at work because I find the soap at work is super drying. I keep moisturizer next to the kitchen sink too. In practice I never use that one because my hands don't feel dry after I was dishes.

They're always dry when I am in no position to stick moisturizer on my hands, lol. Murphy's law and all that. Right now, they're generally acceptable and I'm not sure whether I am bothered about getting more rounds in or not. I guess I should shoot for as often as is easy to do and re-evaluate how that works as the temperature continues to drop.

21 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I hope you can keep the family stress to a minimum and enjoy Turkey day.

There's the family stress from family that IS coming and family stress from ones who are not. That land issue I mentioned could get nasty before it resolves, we don't know. 

• Like 1

11/20/2017 - 11/26/2017

giphy.gif

Where HAVE I been?

Lift

QCM_bn9vuBA2JJns6s2nCAiah71c14iCvusJBnBlI9JHl1nwXBOyLlzXuqcv3BGNRZXTX6hLewHY5nYaNIyMYK6JsYQ-_QF5rcAEoD7h3SuUXf2O2BfUdmvg-99vU7rHjXbb20NY

That's a bench and OHP 3RM PR, 94lbs and 67lbs respectively. I ended up doing these Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday because the dojo is closed and I just. couldn't. make. myself. get up at dawn this week. Maybe I was super run-down, maybe it was just laziness. I dunno. 

Food

Calories: 2598 | 2700, 2632, 2661, 2303, 2850, 2440

Protein: 126 | 110, 123, 88, 141, 184, 111

Fiber: 31 | 42, 11, 53, 33, 40, 8

I just want to point out that I ate the LEAST on Thanksgiving Day. This happens every year. I think it's the anxiety.

Do the Thing

Winter is Coming: 11/28

Callus care: 3/4

Bokken time: 3/4

Doing absolutely terrible at my moisturizer goal. I am in fact using lotion daily, just not as much as scheduled. I was fine until a few days ago and now my hands are kinda dry. Chalk it up to being in a different environment for a few days for Thanksgiving? I dunno. I haven't weighed myself half of this week, so there's an incomplete picture there, but I imagine it did not change hugely.

My sled is removing the paint from the garage floor, so. Going to have to rethink sled time. 

In other news, the migraine downgraded to a headache, but has hung around alllllllll week, so. My motivation to type words has been at an all-time low. Next week in my eyes is the beginning of EOY preparations. The type of work I will be doing is going to gradually shift to tax forms and I will need to carefully monitor my stress. That's going to manifest in the form of energy/mood and performance in the gym. All things being equal I hope this year will be less abysmal than last year--both in terms of stress and how I handled it. If I detect a drop in performance my initial strategy will be to repeat the cycle until February, which is by when the worst should be past. Failing that, I'll back down if I have to, but I really hope to not resort to that. 

• Like 2