7 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

I take it you still don't FacePalm.

The day I want family drama in real-time and/or ever is the day I sign up. 

#nope

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

I have unfollowed so much family >.>

Every time I'm with a certain person over the dinner table, which happens during holidays, she never fails to mention something she posted therein. It's the damnedest thing, but if I wanted to know about you feuding with your rebellious, harebrained following-your-path granddaughter (almost just went with "daughter"....that too, up until very recently.....) or Politics, I'd be on there reading the post myself. CRAZY, I KNOW.

Dad picks fights with people like he's gonna change anyone's mind with his superior smack talk, is on his phone during dinner and many an inter-set rest period like a preteen girl. He's stopped doing the latter quite so much at least. 

Can't think of a reason I would want to miss out on this and so much more, like keeping in touch with those people I deliberately did not keep in touch with after graduation. Plus, I have all kinds of free time and stuff I haven't the slightest idea what to do with it all. * coughs * I haven't touched a video game in months, nor read a book, and struggle to post here as it is and I LIKE what people say most of the time on this forum.

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

11 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Every time I'm with a certain person over the dinner table, which happens during holidays, she never fails to mention something she posted therein. It's the damnedest thing, but if I wanted to know about you feuding with your rebellious, harebrained following-your-path granddaughter (almost just went with "daughter"....that too, up until very recently.....) or Politics, I'd be on there reading the post myself. CRAZY, I KNOW.

Dad picks fights with people like he's gonna change anyone's mind with his superior smack talk, is on his phone during dinner and many an inter-set rest period like a preteen girl. He's stopped doing the latter quite so much at least. 

Can't think of a reason I would want to miss out on this and so much more, like keeping in touch with those people I deliberately did not keep in touch with after graduation. Plus, I have all kinds of free time and stuff I haven't the slightest idea what to do with it all. * coughs * I haven't touched a video game in months, nor read a book, and struggle to post here as it is and I LIKE what people say most of the time on this forum.

I'm on it, but the majority of my activity is clicking like on things and talking to my nieces, because usually I'm on it because work has grown very slow or I'm in line waiting somewhere for a while. I rarely get more than 1/75th down my newsfeed, and totally have believable evidence that "I just don't use fb that much Mom, sorry, didn't see your post" 

As for HS people, it turns out my younger self was MOSTLY right about them, with very few exceptions. I should probably delete it, but there are 3 people that are on my list that use it to send info and stuff to Mr Ix, who is also not on it.

You ain't missing much, is what I'm saying :/ Especially if jumping on it would net you more expections of drama from dramapeople.

If you find yourself with that much free time, just download Pocket Camp and be my fran I sell request items CHEAP

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, ixaera said:

I'm on it, but the majority of my activity is clicking like on things and talking to my nieces, because usually I'm on it because work has grown very slow or I'm in line waiting somewhere for a while. I rarely get more than 1/75th down my newsfeed, and totally have believable evidence that "I just don't use fb that much Mom, sorry, didn't see your post" 

As for HS people, it turns out my younger self was MOSTLY right about them, with very few exceptions. I should probably delete it, but there are 3 people that are on my list that use it to send info and stuff to Mr Ix, who is also not on it.

You ain't missing much, is what I'm saying :/ Especially if jumping on it would net you more expections of drama from dramapeople.

Yeah, my family can be roughly divided into two camps: Not On It and Drama-Llama. I feel I am shielded from so much simply by being able to say "Not on FB, sorry (not sorry)!" Thank God nobody has thought to argue with me on this point yet, so they don't know what I really think about the whole thing lol. Good Times to be had over the Thanksgiving turkey, amirite? It doesn't inherently bother me that anyone is/is not on it, it's just that I have all kinds of examples of how it can be abused to exasperating effect that it clearly would be the opposite of fun for me trying to carefully stay in the proverbial FB closet when I could just. not. sign. up.

More power to anyone who can get something meaningful out the platform and avoid the avalanche of social media BS at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Yeah, my family can be roughly divided into two camps: Not On It and Drama-Llama. I feel I am shielded from so much simply by being able to say "Not on FB, sorry (not sorry)!" Thank God nobody has thought to argue with me on this point yet, so they don't know what I really think about the whole thing lol. Good Times to be had over the Thanksgiving turkey, amirite? It doesn't inherently bother me that anyone is/is not on it, it's just that I have all kinds of examples of how it can be abused to exasperating effect that it clearly would be the opposite of fun for me trying to carefully stay in the proverbial FB closet when I could just. not. sign. up.

More power to anyone who can get something meaningful out the platform and avoid the avalanche of social media BS at the same time.

I hide a shitload of stuff, and regularly cull my friends list. That's really all we can do to survive.

7 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I hide a shitload of stuff, and regularly cull my friends list. That's really all we can do to survive.

Relationships are a dynamic thing. Sometimes even ballistic lol. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

5 hours ago, Urgan said:

I agree completely. I am on FB, but every time I check it I feel like it is a waste of time. My immediate family post things I want to see often enough to make it worthwhile.

I totally hear you on the free time. Yesterday Dumbledore and I were at Costco and did window shopping through the flat-screen TV section. This started with him saying we could get a new TV for cheap. We have not actually had a TV for years.

We wandered past the big screens and agreed they are far too big for our house. Then we got to the smallish screens and started looking at the options. I made the mistake of asking why one was hundreds of dollars more than another. We agreed that the expensive one did indeed have a better display. Suddenly Dumbledore was all "I want to get a really good TV so that we don't need to upgrade technology for years". And "think of how much we could save on movie tickets if we got this". Um, we go to movies twice a year. It would take 10 years to pay back at that rate. Assuming that we can get access to first run movies for cheap. Admittedly, he does go to movies with other people besides me. Anything we got would be better than watching movies on his 19 inch monitor. 

I'm with you on struggling to find time to read books and play video games. I don't sit down and watch things on my computer. I only watch movies or episodes when someone else invites me to join them.

• Like 3

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Holy Toledo, guys.

This week.

So. Very. Busy. 

Know what's a poor combination? Daily intense headaches and deploying a project to production with post-prod defects popping up. #nope The good news is, I think I figured out what the problem was this whole time. See, I thought I'd just screwed myself up and had to correct my magnesium issue and once it was well and good, I could stop and just get it from the meat and beans and whatnot. Not so much. Mag Chloride + epsom salt = headache-b-gone. 

Monday - Friday was juggling flaming chainsaws at work, with the special bonus of snowfall and ice on Friday that turned out to be a lot worse than Advertised. So it was a short day. Monday and Wednesday I did hit the gym and dojo and hit a bench PR of 105lbs. Today I should have gone to test OHP, but freezing rain + snow = no. Hopefully it all melts away tomorrow AS ADVERTISED so I can do gym stuff on the weekend. 

My tacit goals this week were to get rid of the headache, and I did that, so. Success?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

geez louise, well I'm glad you got the physical headache under control, hopefully the figurative headaches have cleared up by now too :/

BIG grats on your bench PR!

My body only recognizes magnesium in round white concentrations of 400mg. 

• Like 1

Monday - Friday was juggling flaming chainsaws at work, with the special bonus of snowfall and ice on Friday that turned out to be a lot worse than Advertised. So it was a short day. Monday and Wednesday I did hit the gym and dojo and hit a bench PR of 105lbs. Today I should have gone to test OHP, but freezing rain + snow = no. Hopefully it all melts away tomorrow AS ADVERTISED so I can do gym stuff on the weekend.

Reading that made me tired
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Urgan said:

Know what's a poor combination? Daily intense headaches and deploying a project to production with post-prod defects popping up. #nope The good news is, I think I figured out what the problem was this whole time. See, I thought I'd just screwed myself up and had to correct my magnesium issue and once it was well and good, I could stop and just get it from the meat and beans and whatnot. Not so much. Mag Chloride + epsom salt = headache-b-gone. 

I'm glad you figured this out! I had headaches last week for a week straight and I could barely function at work. Much power to you for as often as you go through migraines. You are one tough chica! Honestly I do think of you when I want to wuss out of a workout with a moderate headache "if urgan can do all that shit with a migraine I can do these squats with a headache". <3 

Monday - Friday was juggling flaming chainsaws at work,

an apt description of work manic panic if I ever read one

So it was a short day. Monday and Wednesday I did hit the gym and dojo and hit a bench PR of 105lbs.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Today I should have gone to test OHP, but freezing rain + snow = no. Hopefully it all melts away tomorrow AS ADVERTISED so I can do gym stuff on the weekend. 

Wise choice, physical safety is more important than testing OHP. <3 

My tacit goals this week were to get rid of the headache, and I did that, so. Success?

To quote your own words to me: Success. 

• Thanks 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

22 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Reading that made me tired

You don't realize exactly how awful it was until you look back lol.

15 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm glad you figured this out! I had headaches last week for a week straight and I could barely function at work. Much power to you for as often as you go through migraines. You are one tough chica! Honestly I do think of you when I want to wuss out of a workout with a moderate headache "if urgan can do all that shit with a migraine I can do these squats with a headache". <3 

At the risk of you thinking I am far less badass than you once did, the barbell is the only thing that makes headaches better when they get beyond a certain threshold, so it's more like showing up for my fix than pressing on as a stoic.

an apt description of work manic panic if I ever read one

There were three chainsaws in rotation, specifically.

Wise choice, physical safety is more important than testing OHP. <3 

It turns out it was wiser than I thought at the time, which went down to "I don't wanna get pelted by freezing rain, I'mma go back to bed." Now I look at it after struggle-bus-ing through squats and deads today and realize I would not have PR'd even had I showed up.

December 2017 Goals

winteriscoming.jpg

EOY is Upon Us

So November was one long headache. Also my magnesium was low and I had trouble with that. But with the turn of December, I figured out the cause of my problems, got a big project out the door strapped to a gurney, and I have some hope of ending the year in a better position and more prepared than I could possibly have been last year. That is what these next two months will be all about. Survival.

giphy.gif

Food

Ahahahahahahahahaha my current calories for the past few weeks, let me show you them.

9ZIZACcUo-Au9Cw687WyidrqwvGZdo58m3zc8J_Tjx1-ZDBBnnafLYH7tYYBbM4T16e5Y9lA7dtbOzo1cwOdsftVzHiD2L5DSte4IllkUDNFuevZBLz-iXZnAjVfzPYi6_KQ-rv1

Like rolling downhill. Is it any surprise my Intensity Day deadlifts were a struggle? If there is any doubt in your mind that I need 2300-2500 average calories to make progress, go to my Insta, and let your doubts drown. This is in large part caused by the migraine. I just did not give a flying happy about food and rolled along as best as I could. No more. I am going back up to 2500 and allowing the rest to fall where it may. Rough guidelines:

Calories: 2500 

Protein: 125

Fiber: 30

As usual, will log these macros in average/daily format. 

Calories0

Protein0

Fiber0

Sleep

I have in fact been doing well enough at being consistent on this, I just need to make it a priority, because soon I will have less room for error. Get ready for bed at 10:30PM, out bed at 5:05AM on lifting days and 6:30AM on non-lifting days. Waived on weekends and holidays.

Curfew: 0/12

Aikido

Time to step it up. I have somewhat of a grasp of another part of my green belt weapons training called taisabaki. These are scripted attacks and responses. I cannot do it as it is done in the dojo, but I can "shadow aikido" it with some degree of accuracy. 2x week for the next 3 weeks, review taisabaki and suburi. 

Bokken time: 0/6

Weekly Debriefs:

[no Week 1 here!]

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

• Like 6

12/11/2017 + 12/12/2017

giphy.gif

Going past the junk food like

Food

average/daily format. 

Calories2260 / 2227, 2293

Protein127 / 132, 121

Fiber: 32 / 45, 32

Better than it has been recently, but not quite what I was hoping for. NEED MORE CALORIES.

Sleep

Curfew: 2/12

Aikido

Bokken time: 0/6

Monday I lifted-ish.

OHP

45     5

50     5

60     3

65     1

70     1

74     1

81     0

Bench

45     5

55     5

65     3

75     3

80     1

90     2x3

I am still gassed from the lack of proper food and exposure to enough lifting stress to keep the wheels on the bus (i.e., skipping too many Wednesdays at a time when it's getting tough to complete my training sessions). Hopefully a week is all I need, buuuut next week is Shark Week, so. Another kick in the head likely incoming.

Aikido'd, had no clue what I was doing most of the time on ushirotekubitori kotegaeshi (two-handed grab of the hands from behind, do wrist reversal on the fool), but when I figured out sensei wanted me to violently grapevine (imagine...), then equally violently cross-step once back the way I came (it feels a bit like being clothes-lined by the shoulders/arms), it made a lot more sense. This realization occurred when we were basically done, which was great * coughs * Gold star quick learner right here.

Work is rocking me (and several others) like a hurricane, trying to get blood from a turnip, aka helpful words from a certain programmer. One client is angry and wants end product yesterday (news flash...), another's work was held up. Same guy is involved with both projects. It's been some kind of dream over here. I did get taken out for fish (clam chowder, trout, scallops, fried okra yes), so there was that. Adulted so hard and did not go to bed instead of making dinner. 

Today is one of those socially mandated "opportunities" to eat like garbage just because somebody decided it would be so. I'm gonna take a hard pass with no explanation because ain't nobody down there needing to know 'bout my gut health. Nor do they care aside from pressuring me to ignore my better judgment because they human like that.

Did I tell you one of my coworkers tried to shame the department into homemaking something for this fried-chicken-a-thon? 

HA.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Today is one of those socially mandated "opportunities" to eat like garbage just because somebody decided it would be so. I'm gonna take a hard pass with no explanation because ain't nobody down there needing to know 'bout my gut health. Nor do they care aside from pressuring me to ignore my better judgment because they human like that.

Did I tell you one of my coworkers tried to shame the department into homemaking something for this fried-chicken-a-thon?

Late last week, somebody asked me if I was planning to go to the office Christmas party coming up this Friday and I said NO.  The end.

Engineering privilege is a wonderful thing!  :D

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

16 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Late last week, somebody asked me if I was planning to go to the office Christmas party coming up this Friday and I said NO.  The end.

Engineering privilege is a wonderful thing!  :D

Can I borrow your engineer hat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ixaera said:

I need it on monday too :3

We'll do the old "pass the hat".....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I'm kind of jealous. Two thirds of our faculty didn't even bother to show up for our academic club's holiday party. Great message that sent...

Yeah, it's not all that it is cracked up to be. Don't put me down for mandatory fun, because over the years I have grown to hate school and work events where they are actually just required assemblies thinly veiled as festivities.  

It's all fine and great to have a party where people may come if they like. To twist arms and pressure people into doing things they neither want to do (because you have a history with these people and are not feeling holly nor jolly in their presence) nor have time for (I barely can cook dinner for the two of us, and you want me to conjure homemade stuff to take to this thing??) is a bad way to get into the holiday spirit. And the harder they twist my arm, the more I am going to look for ways to avoid them and being direct about it is a good way to end up snarled in brambles. Ain't my job to eat greasy grocery store fried chicken at someone's command. Also I despise Dirty Santa/White Elephant/that game where you waste time and money and end up with a reindeer that poops jellybeans or the pocket hose stuff to take to the local charity thrift store. Turns out a lot of the department didn't want to play either, but sufficient social pressure was brought by one human calling individuals up on the office phones and I think it did end up happening. It's one or two vocal people vs around 16, and half of those people were hired two months ago, so. It's a power thing.

Now if your faculty members did pledge to be present and went AWOL, that is a horse of a different color. Guess you could argue it's part of their job to attend the club. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ixaera said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5064295

Our old holiday parties, the event lady would literally require people from different teams to sit at the same table, and the table with the fewest different teams? Yeah, got to go last at the buffet. Eff mandatory parties in the A

giphy.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Urgan said:

Yeah, it's not all that it is cracked up to be. Don't put me down for mandatory fun, because over the years I have grown to hate school and work events where they are actually just required assemblies thinly veiled as festivities.  

It's all fine and great to have a party where people may come if they like. To twist arms and pressure people into doing things they neither want to do (because you have a history with these people and are not feeling holly nor jolly in their presence) nor have time for (I barely can cook dinner for the two of us, and you want me to conjure homemade stuff to take to this thing??) is a bad way to get into the holiday spirit. And the harder they twist my arm, the more I am going to look for ways to avoid them and being direct about it is a good way to end up snarled in brambles. Ain't my job to eat greasy grocery store fried chicken at someone's command. Also I despise Dirty Santa/White Elephant/that game where you waste time and money and end up with a reindeer that poops jellybeans or the pocket hose stuff to take to the local charity thrift store. Turns out a lot of the department didn't want to play either, but sufficient social pressure was brought by one human calling individuals up on the office phones and I think it did end up happening. It's one or two vocal people vs around 16, and half of those people were hired two months ago, so. It's a power thing.

Now if your faculty members did pledge to be present and went AWOL, that is a horse of a different color. Guess you could argue it's part of their job to attend the club. 

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't make anyone go, but there were a number of people up in their offices, and I wouldn't have even said stay the whole time or bring food, but like, it's not gonna kill you to go down the elevator or stairs or whatever, pop your head in, and wish people luck on finals. I know it's a busy time but it just kind of sucks that people complain our club isn't as active as it could be but then the faculty show almost no interest, so why should the students? If it was a departmental party, I'd get it, but it just kind of sucks because our students genuinely want to get to know us better and I do not work at an R1 institute or anything, it's supposed to be a teaching-focused university. 

I mean, the party was three hours long, so like, I didn't stay the whole time, but I was there for a bit to say hi and introduce myself and talk to people, and then I left for work I had to do and came back at the end to pick up my crockpot. (To your food point, I got some Walmart brand broccoli and cheddar soup which is surprisingly okay despite the fact you heat it in a bag, but everyone was super excited about soup and less excited about the pizza that everyone brings to every student event like, ever. No leftover soup, but plenty of leftover pizza they had to send home with... someone. Not me though. Not enough protein. XD)

But no white elephant parties are stupid. Schatz's family wants to do something like that next year and I'm like, I'm... just gonna grab something and keep it the whole time, if that's the case.

• Like 1