1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Will update as we learn things.

Welcome to Uncle Jim-Bob's Jiffy-Quik Open Heart Surgery Gallery.....in only two weeks from this moment.....

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Welcome to Uncle Jim-Bob's Jiffy-Quik Open Heart Surgery Gallery

Holy crap I just guffawed at my desk, ahdjksaf

JIFFY QUIK DRIVE THRU SERVICE AVAILABLE!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

15 minutes ago, shaar said:

Holy crap I just guffawed at my desk, ahdjksaf

JIFFY QUIK DRIVE THRU SERVICE AVAILABLE!

Well he is leaving for now, so it's drive-away service ATM.....

I has a smol frustrate. Oh well. A mere two weeks from now we can start the road back to baseline....

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

7/24/2018

giphy.gif

...are good decisions anyway?

Recovery

Sleep - 15/19

2500 calories - 2445 / 2415

Aikido

Jo - 5/8

Adulting

Chores. Sink, Toilet, Floor, Kitchen Counters

New Tires

We got the bad news about having to go the worst case scenario with dad. At least he's out of the hospital for now. Due to making so much food on Sunday, I was able to nap guilt-free for the first time in ever and still have dinner. Copious amounts of brisket (10 oz) and an entire steamer bag of riced cauliflower FTW. 

My weight hit 120.2lbs this morning. Why do dark chocolate expresso beans taste so good? Why do I keep buying them? There might have been gas and bloating (all over, not just abdominal) heralded by sub-par BM the night before. * moves jar of beans out of sight * I'm done. I know what works, I just insist on being stupid. And I pay for it with joint problems and rings that don't fit and no idea if the scale is doing what it is more because of my macros or because of stupid life choices. We're going to do a thing called no more eating non-cheese milk protein no matter WHERE in the ingredients list it falls. No mas. Nada. Nicht. 

Right.

I have been doing bedtime right, I shouldn't even have to talk about BMs anymore if I can make a good choice for once, my dad hasn't keeled over yet, I'm sorta kinda thinking about doing jo practice occasionally lol. I haven't forgotten the first half of the kata yet, which is a win. Considering adding more in the hopes of preserving their memory.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But that's just thinking about it. Actually doing it will be another thing entirely.

• Like 1

7/25/2018

giphy.gif

Coming at ya like

Recovery

Sleep - 16/19

2500 calories - 2474 / 2532

Aikido

Jo - 5/8

Adulting

New Tires

Squat

45           5

125         5

145         5

160         5

170         2

142         3x5

Deadlifts

135         5

150         5

175         5

195         2

Well Wednesday was a day. Woke up with the fun symptoms including an oncoming case of the Fukkits, but I crawled out of bed, took GasX, and told the Fukkits to...yeah. It didn't feel awesome to start, but I did most of the thing (RIP backoff volume deadlifts). A water main broke on the most congested artery of the city that I rely on to get to work and almost was late for the morning meeting. I'd emailed my boss about it, but still. The First Commandment is Do Not Miss the Morning Meeting. And I don't want a track record of doing it--even due to Suddenly Pond--only one month into this thing. The day after boss cranked over someone taking a spontaneous Work From Home day. #nope

Aikido was nikyo, suwari waza edition. I am digging not taking full-blown ukemi for a bit. We have two Europeans visiting the dojo and that has been amusing. One is straight from the UK and one appears to have put down roots here. The amusing part is they both have a lot of experience (in different styles), like I think one of them is black belt level, but we're so different in style that stepping on the mat into our advanced class is kind of intimidating? Even though we are the most low key chill dojo ever. Well he finally got on the mat and I didn't work with him, but he didn't sound like he was totally lost. The British Aikidoka is very sharp and dramatic with his reactions--I'm accustomed to slowly bending and you can kind of guess when someone is going to tap because it's like, happening in slow motion before the tap happens? He'll kinda jerk around when he begins to feel the pin and it's very much like, did I break you dude or you just drama llama? Great guy, no complaints there and please just talk more because amazing voice, just would be nice to be sure I'm not breaking the man's fingers. * shrug * I checked to make sure he still had full use of them all after class, so I guess we're good.

And then we had a cultural exchange involving this:

Because somehow our conversation meandered to the show and so we watched that. Put me a bit late getting home, but oh well. It was an amusing night. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kishi said:

A good, lighthearted night sounds like what the doctor ordered. Glad you could get out to have it. :)

We'll have nobody new come in for months and then half the town wants to try a class...mebbe one or two stay...lather rinse repeat. I have no idea. I do hope at least one of them stays and/or visits often because they seem like fun.

• Like 1

7/26/2018

giphy.gif

We're doing Science and I'm still alive

Recovery

Sleep - 17/19

2500 calories - 2510 / 2544

Aikido

Jo - 6/8

Adulting

New Tires

I think new tires is happening sometime next week (because it sure isn't happening this one, lol), due to financial timing. We've about put it off as long as it's safe to do so--I'm lucky to have someone who can gauge these things for me and I'm the tightwad of the two, so it works out. 

I am very proud of my bedtime rituals, although I wish it translated to getting up at a consistent time--it's not due to laziness, it's me falling back asleep instantly and/or not even remembering hearing the alarm. I'm going to need to address this somehow. Calories are as on point as possible, fiber is hovering around 20g average, which seems to be okay based on output, so I'll just roll with it. I'm doing pretty good with my Jo practice--just enough to keep it fresh, not enough to ingrain bad habits I'm hoping. I need to figure out a way for us to do better at keeping the floor cleaned, but I guess we can't have everything and the next opportunity to do that is this weekend, which I should cowgirl up and take. 

Riveting reading material, I know. The excitement never ends, because I'm hovering between 118 and 120lbs, depending on how stupid I'm feeling like being the day prior. I may look at tweaking down macros to see if my performance falls off a cliff into a ravine full of spikes. Any fat gained on my frame goes straight to my lower abs and thighs. I'm more interested in maintaining clothing comfort and I'm pretty sure my recent gains are more fat than muscle. I'm up around 250 calories on average this month vs the rest of this year. I also know messing with this dairy/gluten stuff causes weight fluctuations and I don't have good data on how long it takes to come down off of those effects, except it doesn't seem to be too long. I'm thinking a 100 calorie average dip shouldn't destroy me. I'm not looking for a real cut so much as relocating that maintenance edge and riding it just to see how my body reacts to it. I do think my new job nerves are about over because they aren't enough to jerk me out of bed on time anymore. Usually a good indicator of how deeply I've internalized the stress to be on my best behavior and make good new job impressions. Also certain foods are about to run out and I need to make strategic choices to consolidate which/how many fermented foods are staples. Bacteria make gas and affect all the things, so. Still experimenting.

I did a quick average of calories from the last week of April to the first week of July, which were the latest stretches of time my weight hovered in a comfortable zone and got 2310, so....the least surprising result ever for multiple reasons. But comforting in that it's a basic input/output equation between calories and lbs. The bloaty feeling might be slightly more nuanced, but basically nothing that can't be solved with a few more wild, random swings in diet. 

7/27/2018 - 7/29/2018

giphy.gif

Trying to find something to say about this weekend...

Recovery

Sleep - 18/19

2500 calories - 2436 / 2512, 2335, 2160

Aikido

Jo - 6/8

Adulting

New Tires - Scheduled for 8/2

Friday

OHP

45         5

55         5

60         5

71.5      2

68         4x5

Bench

45         5

60         5

70         5

80         5

90         2

80         5x5

5RM + 1lb on OHP, felt like 10 tons, but whatever. Absolutely nothing else of note for this day.

Saturday

Squat

45           5

115         5

140         5

150         5

177         2

168         5x5

Deadlifts

135         5

155         5

175         5

205         2

192         5x5

100lbs + of my OHP 5RM is my new squat 5RM, also a +1lb PR. Deadlifts were just work. None of it felt that bad, it got heavy at the tail end of the work sets, but if it didn't get that way it wouldn't be doing any good, now would it? Other than that, I was pretty worthless this weekend.

Definitely going to start tamping back on calories next month and see if we can't make some fluff disappear. I have a feeling we can.

Sunday

See above. Totally useless. Didn't clean floor. Didn't do jo stuff. Didn't do shit aside from eat, sleep, and laundry. Yawn. I think we have new tires slated for Thursday because time has run out on them. 

11 hours ago, ixaera said:

oh hi are you me

Considering we both have a parent going through cardiovascular Hell, gained 2lbs accidentally, and are both experiencing a pay raise this month....

giphy.gif

• Like 2

August 2018 Goals

giphy.gif

How it feels to join this BL in progress, I imagine--awkward and random in equal measure

Amazingly enough, a month and a bit into this new job, and I'm contemplating a return to normal routine. Performance in the gym is up and so is my weight due to 2500 daily calorie averages. No gummies, no dairy aside from hard cheese--not even yogurt--and fruit is not a thing to be eaten to excess, or perhaps at all. Balanced Breaks just aren't doing it for my gut, no ifs, ands, or butts. The achy joints and weakness say so. This is going to try to be a 5 week affair.

Recovery

Sleep. Keeping this one. I have been doing so good about not falling asleep at the magic hour of 10:45 or staying up until 11:30 on Sunday. Whee. 11/11:15 on Aikido nights.

0/25

2350 calories. Bloat is gone and cannot be blamed for the numbers on the scale. Time to reel the macros in a smidge. I'd prefer to rest at 117 vs 119-120. I know, I know. You're all crying for me. I get it. But all that weight is in spots that are making my clothes uncomfortable and gosh darnit I just bought these pants less than a month ago.

0 : 0

Fruit. I will perform one isolated experiment with fruit of a very modest nature to determine if any quantity of fruit is a problem. Key word being modest. I need to just do that and nothing else random, but leave it to me....

Aikido

Jo. KEEP THE KATA I.

0/10 

Suwari Waza. Maybe practice that, too? Somehow. On wood floors. TBD, I may replace this with something else.

0/5

Adulting

SQL. I feel the need to refresh myself how SQL works, querying, and things. This seems as good a tutorial as any. During work downtime, go through sections. I should be able to do that in a month.

0%

Math. I'm going to try to do a really scary thing. The most scary thing a human being can possibly do in this life. That's right, I'm going to try to learn Calculus

0/5

New Tires 8/2. It's happening. I think.

Weekly Debriefs: 

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

SQL. I feel the need to refresh myself how SQL works, querying, and things. This seems as good a tutorial as any. During work downtime, go through sections. I should be able to do that in a month.

I poked at it a little bit and found while it has good info, personally me being me, the presentation is kinda confusing and the bits are all over the place so if you find yourself frustrated with this, I found these helpful http://www.joes2pros.com/joes2pros/Page/books

Cheesy name, but well presented and clean.

I found that once I got through that stuff, googling syntax got me where I wanted to go most of the time, at which point a page that's kinda disjointed isn't a problem anymore (and you might already be there, this is just here JUST IN CASE because I like to help so I apologize if you're already past all this)

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

Math. I'm going to try to do a really scary thing. The most scary thing a human being can possibly do in this life. That's right, I'm going to try to learn Calculus

*crosses self*

• Thanks 1

7/30/2018

giphy.gif

This gif never gets old

Recovery

Sleep - 1/25

2350 cals - 2348 : 2348

Fruit

Aikido

Jo - 0/10 

Suwari Waza - 0/5

Adulting

SQL - 0%

Math - 0/5

New Tires 8/2 

Bench

45         5

70         5

80         3

90         1

98         1

103       5x1

OHP

45         5

55         5

60         3

70         1

80         2x1

60         6x3

Gym time did not feature any strict PRs, but essentially I've never benched 103lbs before at all and it's +1lb for number of sets. A vaguely similar story for OHP--I should have topped out at 75lbs, but plate math is hard so I loaded up 80lbs and wondered why that was so heavy. I've done 3 singles at that weight before, but it's been a while and I'd sort of lost the ability to do more than one confidently due to stress, so. Call it a comeback. Or delusion. 

Hit a bird on the way to work, which is always a good way to start a day. Stupid thing was well clear of my car but something possessed it to fly in again and he got nailed. Road food too good?

We're getting new people at work this week and I expect the balance of things will shift and it rarely happens for the better. Was nice while it lasted. Today was end of sprint scramble. Not as bad of a scramble as other places tend to be, but considering I'm working with someone who is a remote employee, it got Interesting in the way only delayed communication and isolation can.

Aikido was a little more busy than it has been--more bodies on the mat. British guy didn't show and the other dude is going back to Georgia so this was his last class for a while, I guess. Two-elbow grab kotegaeshi and some bonus stabbings. So basically an okay night. Husband is living the Poison Oak life right now from helping take down a tree. 

I poked at it a little bit and found while it has good info, personally me being me, the presentation is kinda confusing and the bits are all over the place so if you find yourself frustrated with this, I found these helpful http://www.joes2pros.com/joes2pros/Page/books

Cheesy name, but well presented and clean.

I found that once I got through that stuff, googling syntax got me where I wanted to go most of the time, at which point a page that's kinda disjointed isn't a problem anymore (and you might already be there, this is just here JUST IN CASE because I like to help so I apologize if you're already past all this)

I will keep that in mind. I wish I could just like, retake my college SQL courses now? The advanced stuff made a lot more sense then....

*crosses self*

...I know, right?

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

giphy.gif

This gif never gets old

Hahahahahahaha oh my gosh what in the world I LOVE IT

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Hit a bird on the way to work, which is always a good way to start a day. Stupid thing was well clear of my car but something possessed it to fly in again and he got nailed. Road food too good?

THEM ROAD SNACKS THO'.  I have a horrifying memory of two mockingbirds locked in a VERY INTENSE BRAWL as they fell from a lamppost, flapping and honking to land... yep, directly in front of my passenger side tire.  Fwump, two for one.  Situational awareness, guys...............

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Hahahahahahaha oh my gosh what in the world I LOVE IT

It's terrible and awesome.

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

THEM ROAD SNACKS THO'.  I have a horrifying memory of two mockingbirds locked in a VERY INTENSE BRAWL as they fell from a lamppost, flapping and honking to land... yep, directly in front of my passenger side tire.  Fwump, two for one.  Situational awareness, guys...............

What are priorities, anyway?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

Gym time did not feature any strict PRs, but essentially I've never benched 103lbs before at all and it's +1lb for number of sets. A vaguely similar story for OHP--I should have topped out at 75lbs, but plate math is hard so I loaded up 80lbs and wondered why that was so heavy. I've done 3 singles at that weight before, but it's been a while and I'd sort of lost the ability to do more than one confidently due to stress, so. Call it a comeback. Or delusion.

#SneakyStrength

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

Aikido was a little more busy than it has been--more bodies on the mat. British guy didn't show and the other dude is going back to Georgia so this was his last class for a while, I guess. Two-elbow grab kotegaeshi and some bonus stabbings. So basically an okay night.

Bodies are nice. I find that the more bodies there are, the easier the class tends to be, although as always that depends most on what the teacher's feeling.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kishi said:

#SneakyStrength

#bodiesbetrollin

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Bodies are nice. I find that the more bodies there are, the easier the class tends to be, although as always that depends most on what the teacher's feeling.

It depends, I guess. I heard one class Sensei basically had everyone doing Crossfit. I have never been so glad to miss a class.

Face has been draining all day. Current Mood:

On 7/30/2018 at 4:48 PM, Urgan said:

August 2018 Goals

Amazingly enough, a month and a bit into this new job, and I'm contemplating a return to normal routine. Performance in the gym is up and so is my weight due to 2500 daily calorie averages. No gummies, no dairy aside from hard cheese--not even yogurt--and fruit is not a thing to be eaten to excess, or perhaps at all. Balanced Breaks just aren't doing it for my gut, no ifs, ands, or butts. The achy joints and weakness say so. This is going to try to be a 5 week affair.

Yay for a return to normal routine in August! 

Recovery

Sleep. Keeping this one. I have been doing so good about not falling asleep at the magic hour of 10:45 or staying up until 11:30 on Sunday. Whee. 11/11:15 on Aikido nights.

0/25

Why is sleep so hard? Nice that you are making gradual changes. Hopefully work stress will continue to be tolerable.

2350 calories. Bloat is gone and cannot be blamed for the numbers on the scale. Time to reel the macros in a smidge. I'd prefer to rest at 117 vs 119-120. I know, I know. You're all crying for me. I get it. But all that weight is in spots that are making my clothes uncomfortable and gosh darnit I just bought these pants less than a month ago.

Nods. I have the same problem with my new pants. I know I should follow your lead and cut back on chocolate and treats. But not quite yet...

Suwari Waza. Maybe practice that, too? Somehow. On wood floors. TBD, I may replace this with something else.

Do you have volleyball kneepads? Practicing on hardwood might be easier than carpet because you can pivot without your gi pants sticking to the floor. You just have to be deliberate in how you put down your knees. One of the senior students at my dojo is going to teach a session on how to do suwari waza properly so that one does not injure the knees. My understanding is that it involves keeping the quads engaged and one's weight over one's heels. Details TBD

I have done calculus. Not nearly as scary as randori. You've got this.

I hope things go well for your dad. All surgery is scary and heart surgery more than most. At least it is something that surgeons do frequently.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

Re Calculus - for Cal 1 at least, memorizing the formulas and information about what derives or integrates to what made it easier for me.  If you can find some physics or engineering type examples, it can help the logic make sense, too.  Otherwise, have fun!  (Calculus was long, long ago, and far, far away, but still, while I did bang my head against it on occasion, it was an interesting subject). 

I got nothing on SQL.  Is it a database manipulation, or a programming language?  Or in between?

• Like 1

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

7/31/2018

giphy.gif

I Adulted today--spoiler, it wasn't super fun

Recovery

Sleep - 2/25

2350 cals - 2348 : 2348 *

Fruit

this is not a typo, I literally ate totally different things aside from kraut, same calories between yesterday and today

Aikido

Jo - 0/10 

Suwari Waza - 0/5

Adulting

SQL - 6%

Math - 0/5

New Tires 8/2 

Yesterday was the actual worst. Some combination of humidity and relative freezing temperatures in the office conspired to make my sinuses stay wide open all day long. Nothing quite like being just miserable enough to leave but knowing the minute you leave the building you'll be fine. Like, literally. Walking outside the building I felt fine. 

And then there's the joy of getting into an argument about that.

Does anybody else have an issue with when you and your partner are both feeling bad, your issue is quickly dismissed or actually compared against their issue and declared preferable while you are still actively trying to cope with it? As is that is somehow supposed to be of help to anybody?

Or is that just me?

Do you want decent treatment or do you want peace?

Choose wisely.

I finally cowgirl'd up and put my foot down. We're not a fighty dramatic couple so it wasn't a big thing. It did a produce an immediate adjustment in behavior with accompanying predictable Mope because pointing out that I have feelings makes him feel bad. Remains to be seen whether it will stick. Now if I can just get more than than a one or two word response when I ask how HE is doing, we'll be in business.

So yeah, that was good. Made the rest of the day just fabulous. 

I made chicken and rice, which was just olive oil, chicken, copious amounts of minced garlic, rice, salt, pepper, parsley, and paprika. The latter turned the rice a good shade of reddish-brown. Otherwise, I got cracking on my SQL studying. Halfway through the Basics now, like 90% I already knew, but ya know. Got to chew through the easy stuff so I don't find myself suddenly lost.

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

Nods. I have the same problem with my new pants. I know I should follow your lead and cut back on chocolate and treats. But not quite yet...

You don't realize the issue at hand until it's already very bad and then it's a little late to avoid the Suffering.

Do you have volleyball kneepads? Practicing on hardwood might be easier than carpet because you can pivot without your gi pants sticking to the floor. You just have to be deliberate in how you put down your knees. One of the senior students at my dojo is going to teach a session on how to do suwari waza properly so that one does not injure the knees. My understanding is that it involves keeping the quads engaged and one's weight over one's heels. Details TBD

I do not, but I do have knee sleeves and they may work okay enough for this purpose?

I have done calculus. Not nearly as scary as randori. You've got this.

12 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Re Calculus - for Cal 1 at least, memorizing the formulas and information about what derives or integrates to what made it easier for me.  If you can find some physics or engineering type examples, it can help the logic make sense, too.  Otherwise, have fun!  (Calculus was long, long ago, and far, far away, but still, while I did bang my head against it on occasion, it was an interesting subject). 

So here's the sad thing, I took Cal I and II in college because Computer Science major, I took enough math that one more class would have gotten me a double minor, but no. Let me make an analogy: people with a fear of snakes do not want to learn about snakes. They just want to run out of the room and survive the encounter. It is neither a fun nor interesting subject to them.

I'm trying to be a better human than that. Really the point isn't to be able to solve Calculus problems, it's to find some kind of understanding of the theory and whatnot. 

I hope things go well for your dad. All surgery is scary and heart surgery more than most. At least it is something that surgeons do frequently.

Yeah this is sadly not an infrequent procedure that they perform. It's ironically the only good thing about this treatment plan, it's even more routine now than when he had his first heart attack like nearly two decades ago.

12 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I got nothing on SQL.  Is it a database manipulation, or a programming language?  Or in between?

SQL is short for Structured Query Language. It's kinda both? It can be used to do CRUD--create, read, update, delete--operations on the database and such things as maintain user roles/permissions. It's data-driven. You can create views and triggers and things that slice the database up into a smaller sandbox and control the visibility of that information so that an external query can't be used to access everything in a table or some other table. Did you know you can, if not protected against, type a query into a search box and sometimes it will throw an error that will tell you information about tables, which will also allow you to use that name to dig deeper? All this by using an escape character -- '. If you're at all interested, this article goes into greater detail without being crazy verbose. Data security is actually interesting when no one is trying to sell you anything by using lowest common denominator herd-like fear.

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does anybody else have an issue with when you and your partner are both feeling bad, your issue is quickly dismissed or actually compared against their issue and declared preferable while you are still actively trying to cope with it? As is that is somehow supposed to be of help to anybody?

Or is that just me?

Do you want decent treatment or do you want peace?

Choose wisely.

I finally cowgirl'd up and put my foot down. We're not a fighty dramatic couple so it wasn't a big thing. It did a produce an immediate adjustment in behavior with accompanying predictable Mope because pointing out that I have feelings makes him feel bad. Remains to be seen whether it will stick. Now if I can just get more than than a one or two word response when I ask how HE is doing, we'll be in business.

Spoiler

YES

YES

YES

YES

(pardon my wild exuberance)

Yes.  To the letter.  This was a big sticking point in Previous Relationship, and I feel that feel 150%.  Annoying to the max.  Good luck, soldier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shaar said:

Hide contents

YES

YES

YES

YES

(pardon my wild exuberance)

Yes.  To the letter.  This was a big sticking point in Previous Relationship, and I feel that feel 150%.  Annoying to the max.  Good luck, soldier.

And the worst part is you're also forced to choose between feeling their pain and feeling your own compounded by the other person's selfishness. They're just too distracted to give you any support in the first place/later/ever.