1/4/2019 - 1/6/2019

giphy.gif

My spirit animal

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Within: Samurai Don't Complain

Still gotta work on keeping my eyes on my own work at gym, but otherwise shockingly doing pretty well here.

Without: Giri

Clean shower

Clean microwave

Remove Christmas stuff

Verify whether chipotle pepper is the cause of Husband's heartburn

Replace A/C - happening on 1/8

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 1/29

Deal with electric razor batteries

Declutter nightstand 

Clean shower

Clean microwave

Remove Christmas stuff

Replace A/C on 1/8
Follow up on Mom's foot and leg pain - 1/2 
Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 1/29
Clean toilet
Clean sink counters 

Clean under bed

Mop the floor

Clean stubborn pot stains 
Clean kitchen table
Pop the cork on the cooking wine bottle or throw it out

Declutter coffee table
Research automated testing for work

Budget for HOA fee payment

Bring in parents' dumpster - 0/4

Nutrition 

2500 Calories. 2424 : 2079, 2557, 2509

Aikido

Jo. 4/10

Tech Review. 4/20

I managed to hit 82lbs on OHP a couple sets on Friday and worked up to a 2lb squat PR of 212lbs on Saturday. Ate valiantly to try to hit my calorie goal and got close. I'm bringing the macros back down to 2350--a little boost to the baseline in an effort to encourage better recovery as we do that deload thing on Week 2. I think we got a lot done this weekend. Saturday I think we pretty much decided that some component of "chipotle sauce" is bad for his gut (leaving it out of his usual resulted in zero problems) and considering he had a problem with some of mom's black bean soup that had a rare addition of chipotle pepper....yeah. Gonna shelve that one because I don't think he's ever going to put it to the test. Shower and microwave were cleaned on Sunday, as well as the epic feat of dethroning Christmas decorations. That was a busy time, as we were kinda trying to make dinner, clean the shower, and de-decorate more or less simultaneously. Wanted to do an extra technique review before bed, but it just didn't happen because Japanese practice won out. I am detecting a pattern of moderate headaches lately. Very persistent and very annoying over these last three days. It might rise to the level of begging investigation if this keeps up--I'm still using the lacrosse ball after gym sessions...

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 1/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, Urgan said:

They don't know how to relate to it, so the logical next step is to mock it. Simple as that. That's okay, they don't have to actively embrace it any more than I have to embrace the footballing, which is good because wow do I not do that that is a thing I will never, ever do.

My mom would say they have a "Tear Your Head Clean Off" Ignorance Problem, lol. 

I admire you practicing Japanese. Learning to write new characters takes a lot of practice. You could tell the annoying person that it is a secret code. :P 

On 1/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Urgan said:

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - on the shopping list

Shower cleaner is good. We also have a squee-gee that we use to sluice down the walls after every shower. That helps remove the residual soap and makes it less clammy for the next person. Cuts down a lot on shower mildew.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:39 AM, Urgan said:

We are go for the full A/C replacement on Tuesday, timed because the championship of footballs is on Monday and I reasoned that the best time to be at home all day for a man who hates being at home all day is the day after a late night of screaming at the TV alongside another grown man. My logic is flawless. Strapping my bank account in for a hell of a ride. 

Excellent reasoning. We had to replace our A/C two summers ago. I feel your pain.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, Urgan said:

Kudos for getting this done. I tried to sign up for online billing for our property taxes. After half an hour of struggling with their website, I gave up and mailed them a check.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, Urgan said:

Fooding is going fairly well, my scale had me at 118.6lbs on 1/2 and 117.5 this morning, which is consistent with different weigh-in times and losing any post-Shark Week bloat. Can't imagine what I did to piss off my hormones, what I said or what I ate. Clothes are fine, in fact some compression shorts are a bit loose while a couple older pair are fitting...tight. Bending over isn't a good time, let's say. 

I am envious. I ate all the treats over the holidays and it is showing on the scale and in how my pants fit.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I admire you practicing Japanese. Learning to write new characters takes a lot of practice. You could tell the annoying person that it is a secret code. :P

I'm not even at the point of seriously writing anything yet! That's the scary part, I'm just trying to recognize characters in context and some of them are giving me hell. I can do just fine when they're quizzed in small groups and I can apply Process of Elimination, but in a word or phrase that gets trickier. I'm going to go with saying nothing at all until it can't be avoided. #bravery

Shower cleaner is good. We also have a squee-gee that we use to sluice down the walls after every shower. That helps remove the residual soap and makes it less clammy for the next person. Cuts down a lot on shower mildew.

It's amazing how long you can go just not doing anything about a thing and suddenly it's like slam on life's brakes and deal with it Now. Right. Now.

Excellent reasoning. We had to replace our A/C two summers ago. I feel your pain.

I cannot wait for tomorrow evening when I can recalibrate our financial life around nearly $7000 flying away at once. HOA fees, HUGE power bill from the lagging old heat pump, etc.

Kudos for getting this done. I tried to sign up for online billing for our property taxes. After half an hour of struggling with their website, I gave up and mailed them a check.

Ugh. Online tax payment sounds like an actual Layer. That stuff does Not get QA'd before it's thrown out there for some poor soul to try to throw money at. Full body shudder.

I am envious. I ate all the treats over the holidays and it is showing on the scale and in how my pants fit.

Just develop an intolerance to wheat OR dairy and this problem will be a thing of the past as long as you are not bound and determined to self-harm~ This is actually a thing people do, sadly. I have family that brags about being a walking pharmacy because it takes an army of pills to get their carcass over the finish line of life. This example has consequences that ripple down a generation...

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

1/7/2019

giphy.gif

Flawless

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Football forced the dojo to combine classes which means coming in an hour early. I tried to convince myself this would just permit more tranquil winding-down time afterward, but LBR that didn't change my view of the whole thing much. Gosh I can't even describe it without getting into that mode.

Follow up on Mom's foot and leg pain - 2/2 

Use daily shower cleaner - 2/29

Declutter nightstand  

Clean shower 

Clean microwave 

Remove Christmas stuff 

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 2/29

Replace A/C on 1/8

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters  

Clean under bed 

Mop the floor 

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2342 : 2342

Aikido

Jo. 5/10

Tech Review. 5/20

Well. Monday was a day. It heralded in the first day of deload week, which featured a top set of 103lb for 2 reps on bench. This does not seem like a deload because the weight isn't, but I backed down to 95lbs for some additional work and it was difficult. 103 made me see stars, so. I think we can say I nailed it lol. 

I got a text from the dojo saying that due to the Church of Footballs the two Aikido classes would be combined, which definitely soured my mood because Football Screws Me Yet Again and I have to inhale food and hit the door (and incidentally traffic was particularly congested per Murphy's Law). It's my old class time slot, but it was hard to do even back then. Now it just plain hurts lol. A distant uncle (grandmother's brother) finally died early in the morning. He hadn't been doing great since he had a stroke decades ago, and lately it took quite a negative turn.

The class was a duke's mixture of post-test type drills, which is what I expected given the news of the combined class. It was not a spectacular display of martial prowess. Randori means you don't quit until you get hurt in some manner, shape, or form. Someone's fingernail sliced my middle finger when I was "it" and the others were trying to kill me, as you do. Then I went home and ate a fourth meal, did Japanese, reviewed a technique and jo kata, and settled down for bed. 

The magic of the two week break showed up the next morning, because my knees were sore lol. And I have forgotten my kombucha for the first time ever because I changed the routine up just a tiiiiiiny bit, which was clearly an egregious mistake. So this is a great start, eh? The A/C crew is at the house now and so I am told we will have a new system by tonight. I have mixed feelings about this, but the very least it will be Done today. Kind of surreal.

I feel you on forgetting things and timing things. The meds I'm on now don't work if I take them too close to some of my supplements, but if I take those supplements too close to dinner those in turn get neutered (it's a quirk of soy protein - even the fermented stuff has isoflavones in it, which are apparently good for heart health but bind to iodine, which is needed for thyroid health. Bah).

Anyway, spectacular displays of martial prowess are built on the unspectacular. It happens and needs to be got through on the way to the good stuff.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

I feel you on forgetting things and timing things. The meds I'm on now don't work if I take them too close to some of my supplements, but if I take those supplements too close to dinner those in turn get neutered (it's a quirk of soy protein - even the fermented stuff has isoflavones in it, which are apparently good for heart health but bind to iodine, which is needed for thyroid health. Bah).

Absorption arglebargle. I think we all have to fight that battle at least a couple times in our lives. I try to keep my supplements 8-ish hours apart...

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Anyway, spectacular displays of martial prowess are built on the unspectacular. It happens and needs to be got through on the way to the good stuff.

I at least remembered what to do with my feet. Sorta.

I did a thing just now. I went shopping at a downtown grocery store. Downtown traffic scares me to bits, y'all. Skinny little lanes, one-way roads here, there, and everywhere, and drivers that think they're on the highway. The reason for this trip it hurt my heart too much to lack kombucha, so away I went to the closest store. You want to see lost, it's me walking into a familiar chain that's arranged just a liiiiiittle bit differently. Because it's not totally foreign, it's also totally not like I expected--it reminded me more of HEB in Midland, Texas than a Publix actually. About 10 minutes of me wandering around like an unaccompanied child. I did come out of it with a new flavor, though. 

image.png.d77300dc4102b1f36e10654bcafb6ada.png

Wow is it ever Tropical.

• Like 2

1/8/2019

giphy.gif

For those times when you forget to post a gif

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Football encore, given the period of mourning/gloating by anyone who cares the slightest bit about the game.

Use daily shower cleaner - 3/29

Declutter nightstand   

Clean shower  

Clean microwave  

Remove Christmas stuff  

Replace A/C on 1/8 

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 3/29

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters   

Clean under bed  

Mop the floor  

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2322 : 2301

Aikido

Jo. 5/10

Tech Review. 5/20

Forgot to do technique review. Football. Other words that begin with "F." We got our A/C replaced and unfortunately it still involves a heat pump, but changing that would have made the bill >$6,600 and that we just couldn't do. Maybe in some other lifetime. Bad news is the moment I bumped it up from 70 to 72 degrees when it was at the worst in the mid-40s outside, the aux heat kicked on. That's where the other F words come in. My husband noticed this development, poked around a bit, and after my underscoring the abnormality of the situation decided that the long and short of it was, "that's just how it is." 

Gents.

Let me act as a sort of reverse translator for you. When you say anything synonymous with "that's just how it is" in the absence of actual reasoning, we automatically convert that sentence to "Wife please shut up." Let me explain. You see, we raised the issue. It wasn't a problem until we said something. If we stop saying something, the problem goes away. Presto. Never say this sentence unless you could win a court case on the explanation, because it's going to get you like 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This was said about the engine heat blowing in my face from the front vents (I MUST have the heat or air on some degree aimed elsewhere in order to divert the air flow away from said face. This is not okay when you consider the air coming out of the vents is cold at first and I do not want to have it blowing on me most of the time because Temperature Shock > Sickness.) as well, which of course is not going to stand because contrary to popular opinion Broken/Sick/Debilitated By Preventable Means is not an operating state. The strategy is going to likely be inquire again about replacing the last known possible issue, then the dreaded car swap to take it in to the Family shop I don't go to anymore if that fails. Else invoke the nuclear option. Whee, how exciting.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day. Perhaps this all will resolve itself in a way that does not require aggressive action or yet more money being thrown at problems. A girl can dream.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mistr said:

That sucks that the new HVAC system behaves just like the old one. Did the company give you some assurance that they would solve that problem? If yes, call them right away and tell them that the installers did not get it right. You spent $$$$ - it should work.

It happened once when asked to jump 2 degrees. Later when it was a bit colder we had to make it jump 4 degrees to throw aux heat. I'm running some tests on the system to see how it reacts to different demands. Best case it exonerates the system. Worst case it gives whomever diagnostic information.

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

"that's just how it is." 

No no... no... not after hemorrhaging the cash you did.  For that price there is no "that's just how it is," only "i expect this to work as it should while not raising our energy bill for unknown reasons"..

u g h :[

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

No no... no... not after hemorrhaging the cash you did.  For that price there is no "that's just how it is," only "i expect this to work as it should while not raising our energy bill for unknown reasons"..

u g h :[

There's a chance it was a hiccup or only misbehaves in a verrrrry narrow scenario--which, until it is fixed, is vastly superior to

* heat turns on *

* 30 seconds pass *

* aux heat turns on *

It's working as one would expect in the last hour--which it dang well better given the outside temperatures are getting warmer ATM. I'm going to retest at 4 and 7 PM when the temperatures are going to begin their mid-week crash into freezing temps in a bid to reproduce yesterday evening's behavior. 

The point is more that dismissiveness is not going to be tolerated for a full .2 seconds. Not even if you're really tired and don't want to acknowledge that thing just happened. I don't want to acknowledge it either, but A/C don't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Gents.

Let me act as a sort of reverse translator for you. When you say anything synonymous with "that's just how it is" in the absence of actual reasoning, we automatically convert that sentence to "Wife please shut up." Let me explain. You see, we raised the issue. It wasn't a problem until we said something. If we stop saying something, the problem goes away. Presto. Never say this sentence unless you could win a court case on the explanation, because it's going to get you like  

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The computer's not letting me post gifs, so you're just gonna have to trust that I'm taking notes and that they are copious

• Haha 2

1/9/2019

giphy.gif

Can't stop me, Wednesday

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

AC drama, I suppose?

Use daily shower cleaner - 4/29

Bring in parents' dumpster - 0/3*

Declutter nightstand   

Clean shower  

Clean microwave  

Remove Christmas stuff  

Replace A/C on 1/8 

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 4/29

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters   

Clean under bed  

Mop the floor  

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2336 : 2336

Aikido

Jo. 6/10

Tech Review. 6/20

Yes I ate precisely the same calories as my average. Get on my level. 

Let's see...some "light"-esque work compared to heavy days on the weekend, I guess. Squats required a top set of 185lbs and backoffs of 175 for doubles all around. Deadlifts was 215 and 200, respectively. They did not feel light, but they moved okay. Three times in the afternoon and evening I tested the AC by raising the temperature 2, 4, and 5 degrees around 1, 4, and 7 PM and did not see it switch over to emergency heat. Go figure. Husband DIDd call the AC company and they said it could be a calibration problem that will resolve itself as it is used but to call them back if it did it again. So ideally we don't have to call them back because it learns what climate is and adjusts appropriately. Because that's what it should do and it doesn't require more appointments. * coughs * 

Did lots of Japanese practice, went to my parents' place and learned the latest redneck-arse loco drama to befall both the property my mom is trying to get rid of and the humans we're distantly related to near it (remember the funeral of the uncle I mentioned earlier? That's them), and tried to stick to talking about what should actually be done about finally getting rid of the land in 2019 because there's no way to reason out Crazy. It surrounds us. And it's too depressing and kvetchy to actually describe in any detail other than multiple parties would like cow pasture for next to nothing except one person who thinks they are a titan of real estate compared to my mom and the cow pasture and 3 crumbling(ed) buildings are worth a lot more than any human being is willing to come to Random Town, AL and pay cash for, you see that person is my mom's sister with the ability and willingness to shut down multiple offers that have been made so.....here we are. My parents were randomly on top of their dumpster management this week, sooooo by the time I got there it was already moved out to the street and back. Sigh.

Dojo'd. Uke and I were naughty and did review of the technique list after doing the demonstrated technique a few times lol. We both are trying to get up the nerve to test soon-ish. February or March. Maybe. So we did that most of the class and Sensei played along and showed us some finer points on what we were reviewing (he already knows I'm looking to test soon because I kinda told him the last class of 2018 lol). At the end we convinced Sensei to get a dojo Instagram account and link it to FB to do the socialing. At 10:15PM lol. We lost track of time a bit. Anyway, it was interesting to get a behind the scenes peek at where his head's at in terms of promoting the dojo and such. Maybe we'll finally have a footprint--a more interactive one, anyway, because there is a friendly-looking website at least--online now. He seems to harbor similar fears to @Kishi's situation that we are being overlooked for shinier more Visible places. This is a training center in his backyard in a residential area with a little sign out front of a one lane road that isn't all that super visible from one side lol. However people do drop in fairly regularly because are the only game in town for Aikido. Hence his willingness to give the Insta a try.

Well that put me super late getting home (10:45, 30 minutes later than my average arrival time), whee. Which crammed up technique practice, supplemental face-stuffing, and wind-down time, so in the end sleep was lost and I am paying for it this morning.

22 hours ago, Kishi said:

The computer's not letting me post gifs, so you're just gonna have to trust that I'm taking notes and that they are copious

If you don't do that and don't use the phrase "I'm/it's okay" to describe "actually I feel like shit" or "actually that was really bad" in order to avoid honest conveyance of state of being and opinion because God forbid the wife learn the DEEP SECRETS of hey those Cheerios weren't all that good after all you will be ahead of the communication game. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Urgan said:

The point is more that dismissiveness is not going to be tolerated for a full .2 seconds. Not even if you're really tired and don't want to acknowledge that thing just happened. I don't want to acknowledge it either, but A/C don't care.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.  Ostriching further ain't gonna happen when we're RIGHT NEAR THE FINISH LINE MY LORD

15 minutes ago, Urgan said:

And it's too depressing and kvetchy to actually describe in any detail other than multiple parties would like cow pasture for next to nothing except one person who thinks they are a titan of real estate compared to my mom and the cow pasture and 3 crumbling(ed) buildings are worth a lot more than any human being is willing to come to Random Town, AL and pay cash for, you see that person is my mom's sister with the ability and willingness to shut down multiple offers that have been made so.....here we are.

I........... huh.  Hmm.  Welp.

giphy.gif

People are fascinating, and by fascinating, I mean sometimes you wanna cram 'em all into a metal barrel and shoot them into space.........

• Haha 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

27 minutes ago, Urgan said:

If you don't do that and don't use the phrase "I'm/it's okay" to describe "actually I feel like shit" or "actually that was really bad" in order to avoid honest conveyance of state of being and opinion because God forbid the wife learn the DEEP SECRETS of hey those Cheerios weren't all that good after all you will be ahead of the communication game.

But Cheerios, with all that non-Euclidean geometry. Sometimes we have to keep people safe from things they cannot know. :D

But yeah. The biggest thing I'm learning right now is not to say something when I have nothing to say.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Kishi said:

But yeah. The biggest thing I'm learning right now is not to say something when I have nothing to say.

Don't try to con yourself into assuming the position of being an expert if you are in fact not one. Don't tie your pride as a competent, grown man to knowing everything, it's not going to be a fun time when someone questions this and they're potentially on steadier ground than you. This goes for everybody, but relationally this is how it has gone for me and other family members.

If you know nothing about AC auxiliary heat you didn't learn from Google 10 minutes ago, that's okay. Own it. Say something like, "I dunno, maybe it's [This Possibility]? I'll Check with AC Company or [Someone Who Knows] tomorrow." Don't try to limit the universe of possibilities to the few you presently know when working ACs and car ACs specifically exist and ask me to put blinders on and agree that this is as good as it gets. Ironically he should know this because he does car restoration for a living (cars that never ever had ACs get ACs installed, which involves redesigning the interior of the car...), but apparently mine is enough of a bother that he's willing to consider a world where 2006 Mustang GTs just don't have ACs that work like all other vehicles on land, sea, and air so as to avoid jousting with the pony a 6th time.

[edit: note, he doesn't do electrical work himself so that skillset is not part of expertise, however at no point did anyone declare that the buck stops with him forevermore on this matter...]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Don't try to con yourself into assuming the position of being an expert if you are in fact not one. Don't tie your pride as a competent, grown man to knowing everything, it's not going to be a fun time when someone questions this and they're potentially on steadier ground than you. This goes for everybody, but relationally this is how it has gone for me and other family members.

If you know nothing about AC auxiliary heat you didn't learn from Google 10 minutes ago, that's okay. Own it. Say something like, "I dunno, maybe it's [This Possibility]? I'll Check with AC Company or [Someone Who Knows] tomorrow." Don't try to limit the universe of possibilities to the few you presently know when working ACs and car ACs specifically exist and ask me to put blinders on and agree that this is as good as it gets. Ironically he should know this because he does car restoration for a living (cars that never ever had ACs get ACs installed, which involves redesigning the interior of the car...), but apparently mine is enough of a bother that he's willing to consider a world where 2006 Mustang GTs just don't have ACs that work like all other vehicles on land, sea, and air so as to avoid jousting with the pony a 6th time.

Forsooth and agreed. He's not helping you or himself by avoiding that long time on the phone or being willing to suffer subpar work.

That being said, in the broader sense, humility isn't necessarily... ah, rewarded? Bertrand Russell comes to mind; he says that "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt." I get steamrolled all the time by people, either because they know better or they don't and they just don't care. It's not manly to lose, and by extension to not have control over a situation, so I can see why he would be socialized to comport himself so. It's a pressure I feel too. :-/

13 minutes ago, Kishi said:

That being said, in the broader sense, humility isn't necessarily... ah, rewarded? Bertrand Russell comes to mind; he says that "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt." I get steamrolled all the time by people, either because they know better or they don't and they just don't care. It's not manly to lose, and by extension to not have control over a situation, so I can see why he would be socialized to comport himself so. It's a pressure I feel too. :-/

Being confident and being offended that anyone would dare question your authority on a subject are worlds apart. You're describing the Dunning-Kruger effect, yes? I agree that it is what is at play and a win/lose state unrelated the AC functioning was entirely fabricated in his mind. I struggle to emphathize with being cast as the villain.  

25 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Being confident and being offended that anyone would dare question your authority on a subject are worlds apart. You're describing the Dunning-Kruger effect, yes? I agree that it is what is at play and a win/lose state unrelated the AC functioning was entirely fabricated in his mind. I struggle to emphathize with being cast as the villain.  

*trundles off to google the Dunning-Kruger effect because it would be gauche to pretend he knew it offhand*

*also had to google the definition of "gauche" to make sure he was using it right*

Completely agreed on an objective level. Subjectively, though, that doesn't always play out. I don't think it's much of a stretch to point out that for some men - and maybe your husband; I don't know him except how he's presented so everything I say has a grain of salt - authority and confidence are very closely connected. It's a chicken-egg kind of problem and I'm pretty confident - heh - that it works out differently for different folk. So some men are confident and have a sense of authority on the basis of it, and others are authorities and develop their confidence from the sense of it. I've seen enough cases of both to be well and thoroughly confused.

People are weird.

But yeah, no, your husband was definitely not reading you right and was wrong to dismiss you and definitely should have gone with you on being willing to tussle with the A/C company. And I should be a better man and be sympathetic as opposed to letting this situation remind me of some of my own late musings and hijacking your problems for my own sake.

I will make note of this and do better next time.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Kishi said:

*trundles off to google the Dunning-Kruger effect because it would be gauche to pretend he knew it offhand*

*also had to google the definition of "gauche" to make sure he was using it right*

Completely agreed on an objective level. Subjectively, though, that doesn't always play out. I don't think it's much of a stretch to point out that for some men - and maybe your husband; I don't know him except how he's presented so everything I say has a grain of salt - authority and confidence are very closely connected. It's a chicken-egg kind of problem and I'm pretty confident - heh - that it works out differently for different folk. So some men are confident and have a sense of authority on the basis of it, and others are authorities and develop their confidence from the sense of it. I've seen enough cases of both to be well and thoroughly confused.

People are weird.

But yeah, no, your husband was definitely not reading you right and was wrong to dismiss you and definitely should have gone with you on being willing to tussle with the A/C company. And I should be a better man and be sympathetic as opposed to letting this situation remind me of some of my own late musings and hijacking your problems for my own sake.

I will make note of this and do better next time.

Try to keep in mind I post personal stuff for a combination of two reasons--to vent/laugh at and to discuss the matter from different perspectives. I think we can agree the behavior is a distortion of a character trait that is positive in the right circumstances--say, during crises when the right call at the right time is a life-and-death matter. War, brain surgery, and burning buildings come to mind. Outside of the right circumstances and I am worried about having to escalate the car issue because if anything on this earth is his area of expertise, it's cars. It's basically who he is. So. We'll see.

• Like 1

1/10/2019

giphy.gif

Crank

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I think I was good all day long, somehow

Use daily shower cleaner - 5/29

Declutter nightstand    

Clean shower   

Clean microwave   

Remove Christmas stuff   

Replace A/C on 1/8  

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 4/29 

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters 
Clean under bed   

Mop the floor   

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2364 : 2447

Aikido

Jo. 7/10

Tech Review. 7/20

Well this was a special day. It seems like the heater threw a hissy fit initially on its first night and is good now OR it's being coy. AC Company followed up on the matter, so I think we have finally found a company that won't jack us around. This is good, because we are the Thomas Edisons of AC companies--We can give you a bunch of people who you don't want working for you. Yeeeeeee buddy. Also husband accidentally fixed my car AC. I asked him to get the part number to order the middle part so we can go through that diagnostic step and in the process of messing with it for that end, pulled everything out and put it back in. Lo and behold, we have properly functioning air and heat. It is a miracle, boys and girls. He then had Multi-Factorial Crabby afterward, but we can't have everything in life. I did my Japanese work earlier in the day, so all that remained was jo kata and technique review--I went down each technique video title and made sure I could recall "how they go," and feel pretty comfortable I have the basics down on 85% of them. Buff, wax, polish. We made fried rice, to which I added fried leeks. That was a good choice.

• Like 1

I got tired of people repeatedly asking me of my unlabeled tin of oysters, "That's not sardines, is it?" And I'd say "No, it's not." like this was supposed to ease their mind that damnit I bought sardines and ate them at work just now and they are good as it turns out. Now I will answer in the affirmative if they ask this regardless of what actually inhabits the can. Yes.

1/11/2019 - 1/13/2019

giphy.gif

Technique level: Expert

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I feel pretty good about this weekend. A small amount of whining here and there, but nothing that really got me bent out of shape. My goal is to let nothing bend me out of shape--dreaming big over here lol

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters 

Use daily shower cleaner - 8/29

Declutter nightstand     

Clean shower    

Clean microwave    

Remove Christmas stuff    

Replace A/C on 1/8   

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters 

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 8/29  

Clean under bed    

Mop the floor    

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Write Christmas present thank-you note

Clean pressure cooker inserts

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2296 : 1909, 2344, 2364

Aikido

Jo. 8/10

Tech Review. 7/20

I finished 2s week strong, Friday's upper body session was good and I sneaked in a 2RM PR on squat at 197lbs. Unfortunately I fell asleep early on Friday night and woke up at 11AM on Saturday, which essentially means I went to bed without dinner. I added writing a thank-you note to my list and would have added clean the pressure cooker to the list, but....already did that lol. 

Sunday was chore-a-polooza. We cleaned the toilet, the bathroom sink and mirror, the entire surface of the pressure cooker sans insert, the stubborn-stained pot, and the kitchen counters. Husband cleaned a window sill that was very, very yuck because Cats. The pot was darn near clean before we put it in the dishwasher to get the last of the bits off, so I am optimistic that one more go with fresh baking powder and vinegar next weekend will see it and some of the pressure cooker inserts look more like new. I felt so flipping carpe diem. Right up until my efforts at cleaning the pressure cooker involved removing a gasket from the top of the appliance, forgot to put it back, and dang near burned half of dinner. Yay me~

Saturday also saw me doing dumb things with weighted sticks. @Mistr this should amuse you....and don't worry, I bowed in and out, the kata was just too long to show it on the Insta because it's ADD after all.

• Like 2

Yay for jo kata at the gym!  (and I am now following you on Insta)

Your jo kata 1 has a lot of the elements of the common 31-count jo kata. I would worry about practicing overhead strikes and spins with a weighted (or not, really) bar so close to the mirrors. Says the person who put holes in the rice paper over our shomen with her bokken.

Also yay for functioning heating and AC in your car!

Is there something like Zillow for rural property so that your folks can convince your aunt what the land is worth? Maybe a property tax register? Taxes are public information in my state.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

1/14/2019

giphy.gif

Monday vibes

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I did gud

Use daily shower cleaner - 9/29

Declutter nightstand     

Clean shower    

Clean microwave    

Remove Christmas stuff    

Replace A/C on 1/8   

Clean toilet
Clean sink counters 

Buy (and use) daily shower cleaner - 8/29  

Clean under bed    

Mop the floor    

Clean kitchen table

Declutter coffee table

Write Christmas present thank-you note

Clean pressure cooker inserts

Nutrition 

2350 Calories. 2273 : 2273

Aikido

Jo. 8/10

Tech Review. 8/20

Monday, monday... * ba da ba da da da *

It started with an unenthusiastic bench session--I didn't fail any reps, but 2 sets of 100.5lb triples just didn't exactly feel like "killin' it," so to speak. Unless it = me. OHP trolled me by feeling best on the last backoff sets, but that's generally pretty normal if I don't inadvertently program a burnout for a given day, that is, and definitely preferable to that alternative. Work went by fairly quickly given in an unusual twist there was a lot for me to do and I found a top 100+ anime opening of all time ranking thing and listened to almost all of the ones I didn't know and many of the ones I did, lol. I managed to get out of there without a headache somehow--this has become a rarity. Note: I just noticed there were more than 100, so...guess what I'll be doing today. 

And in the WEIRDEST plot twist some guy who three years ago just happened by the property we're trying to sell that's an hour and 45 minutes away from home while dad was doing some work on it (they talked for a bit that day) tracked my parents down and showed up on their door while I was visiting last night and he's all like, yeah I want to buy the property. And live on it. This key bolded bit is the thing nobody has yet stated when they expressed interest in buying because to most people it's only good for cow pasture. We don't have a formal offer yet, so this is all castles in the sky until such time as we do, but an informal offer just literally walked up and rang the doorbell. Mom nearly managed to turn him away because weird guy showing up who doesn't quite remember the right name of the people he's looking for, but considering it's changed hands three times in my lifetime the court records might not be perfect, you know? He knows some of the cray-cray extended family, and he learned a good bit more about just how much cray is behind the curtain (as fair warning turning the negotiations with said cray), but that didn't seem to deter him. We Shall See.

Dojo time was suwari waza and I worked with a red belt who was free-styling against yoko attacks with bokken. Got hit in the knee with a stick and tweaked the opposite elbow. But at least I feel pretty good about kokyunage and sort of almost good about shomenuchi ikkyo. Yeeeeeeee saw a 3-4 point buck on the same road I met that kamikaze doe--luckily this guy was on the Other Side and was content to waggle his tail at my headlights. Gave the venison the stink eye until I was past him. OI. Stupidest animals walking, deer.

I did my best to review what we worked on, but stick-knee wasn't having it, so awkward flailing on the bed it is. Then I stayed up until Entirely Too Late trying to locate legal retail means of procuring many, many anime opening themes. iTunes has come a long way in this regard.

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for jo kata at the gym!  (and I am now following you on Insta)

Your jo kata 1 has a lot of the elements of the common 31-count jo kata. I would worry about practicing overhead strikes and spins with a weighted (or not, really) bar so close to the mirrors. Says the person who put holes in the rice paper over our shomen with her bokken.

Yeah, this version is like 22 or 24-count? I was forced to go very, very slow due to the Heavy, no worries. I'm accustomed to practicing in a hilariously small, unsafe-for-sticks space at home so it felt like that mountain scene in Gone With the Wind where the camera pans around to show you the Natural Wonder, actually lol.

Also yay for functioning heating and AC in your car!

Climate control is nice. I am slowly re-accustoming myself to it.

Is there something like Zillow for rural property so that your folks can convince your aunt what the land is worth? Maybe a property tax register? Taxes are public information in my state.

So, it's Complicated. The property is so in a shambles that no bank is going to be willing to be party to a loan for it without an extensive inspection, the process of inspecting it would be brutal, and it's an As-Is sale, AKA we aren't doing any repair work on the buildings. Mom vacillates between Just Get Rid of It for almost any price and trying to position the deal to bring in quite a bit more money than was in the strike zone for many years using the authority of the local tax assessment of what the property is worth. 

If you take nothing else away from this clusterfarkle, it's this: the value assigned property is based on the best interest of the person doing the appraisal.

The county values it at nearly 25% more than anyone in their right mind would have guessed because to my sarcastic way of looking at it some joker drove by it and decided how much tax they wanted to extract. This is local government and it is highly suspect. My aunt is convinced that despite and/or because of everyone dying off in the area and their descendants are essentially fleeing the area somehow that makes the land MORE valuable (someone took the good drugs during Econ 101....the 70s were a high time, after all). Her estimation of the value is similarly in the stratosphere.

Meanwhile the reality is it's country land with 1.5 decent buildings attached to an old highway. Cow people don't want the buildings and there isn't a population much that wants to come live in the area even if the good house was in 100% working order, you know? That drives the price down, possibly sharply depending on the needs of the buyer. We're just mostly ready to get rid of it and my aunt, who has borne almost no responsibility despite being jointly responsible for managing this flaming dumpster of a situation, thinks she's sharp shit pro negotiator and has rejected the offers we have gotten because they weren't her idea without building any bridges with the people we do know who want to buy and it doesn't actively harm her at all for the family property to rot until such time as money falls from the sky. Skip to the end, it's a posture composed of some ratio of spite and crazy that only a miracle is going to resolve. We are very, very much hoping this latest development will be the beginning of that miracle.