5/16/2019

giphy.gif

Possibilities

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Within: Samurai Don't Complain (in fitness)

-

Without: Giri

Buy New External Harddrive

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Within: Crying in the Dojo

Class Technique Review - 4/8

Video Technique Review - 4/8

Buki Waza Review - 4/8

Without: Keep heizen and carry on

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Automated Testing Research

Audit Grocery Bill - $780 ($880), $589 ($742), $329 ($374)

Audit Power Bill - $116, $108

Benevolence

Within and Without: Love

Learn first-aid - 79%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 2/4

9:00 Dinner - 4/8

Cat grooming - 1/4

Politeness

Within: Rēsetsu

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 6/19

Without: Do 

Watch Shodo Lesson - 15%

Drawing Japanese Characters - 1/4

Honesty

Within: Shinjitsu for Me

Marksmanship

- doubled the requirement for buki waza

- I still expect myself to check cat food/water, brush teeth, floss, and spray down the shower on the regular

Without: Matomo for Thee

Liar Liar - 7/27

I think I forgot to mention my malfunctioning left eyeball. On the drive to the dojo, it just decided it wanted a divorce from my contact lens. Only on the left side. Ladies and gents, the magic of astigmatism. Dojo time wasn't harmed that much by it, because I wasn't shifting from close/far vision that often. This is a thing I have discovered as a consequence of this strange phenomenon--when it occurs, blinking beyond the bare minimum and looking all over the place are the ticket to a Bad Time. 

Cue Thursday. I didn't replace the lens because I was hoping it was just dirty and I could wring a little more life from it. #urganischeap I thought wrongly. Most of the day was just a blast as a result. The drive home was particularly noteworthy because it was starting to pour rain, some sort of wreck on Double Oak Mountain axed my typical commute by locking up an entire highway from the point I would get on it to the home stretch, forcing nav to suggest the longest possible route as the best option. I fought it every step of the way, because remember the contact lens issue? And what provokes it? Well rain + driving = pain and near-blindness much of the way. One of the more unnecessary tragedies of modern life, perhaps. Gonna need to make an eye appointment eventually, I guess, since I just opened my last contact lens for my left eye....

At least there was some work to do at work, which meant I had something literally to focus on that was consistent. And lying-down time was helpful. After work, I napped so hard I overslept my alarm and missed an SOS call from dad. He was doing his gym things and messed up his spreadsheet where his lifts were programmed, so I reminded him how to fix it and all was well on that front going forward. As a result, I barely barely BARELY started making dinner before 9PM, but we made it fam. We made it. I did Japanese, Aikido review of the videos I've already watched, and did some first aid training. BOOM. 

I'm getting a little too chatty at meetings, but I think Thursday was okay at least.

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

That gif is one of many reasons I don't fry stuff. Terrifying!

All foods aren't created equal in the frying world. Frying an egg and getting scalded is more your fault than say, making homemade hashbrowns where there is weaponized water ready to ruin your hype. There's only so much patting one can do before you just roll the dice and/or invest in a spatter guard. I can't do pre-breaded stuff obviously and laziness/lack of time eliminates most frying from consideration, but I do love some fried eggs in coconut and sesame oil. With a healthy level of respect for the clear lava.

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

4 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Wait fried eggs with coconut and sesame oil? Tell me more!

Yeah every Sunday I make a bunch of fried eggs for the next morning (because I ain't about that morning cooking) and I often make a few for a meal right then, depending on how many calories. It's dead simple. I just dump the oil in such that the pan looks a bit like a vinyl record with more coconut oil than sesame (zero measuring has been done, it's just a thin layer...), turn on medium high, wait a minute or two until there's a hint of a shimmer in the oil, then I crack my eggs in and turn it down to low and slap the lid on the pan until they are the desired level of cooked. Minimum exposure to popping. If you are really terrified you can crack them in before the oil starts shimmering and wait until it starts to look like it will pop to turn the heat down. However. The hotter you let the oil get, the more likely for a thin, wispy, crispy egg white with that caramelized sesame-tinted goodness. But perfectly edible either way IMO. It's a balancing act.  

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

1 minute ago, Cataleya said:

I'm not nervous about making eggs but anything that requires me to set something into an actual pool of oil is almost always a bad idea.

I might have to try these eggs, though! I don't currently have coconut oil though we have just about everything else. I wonder if the husband will kill me for picking up yet another bottle. XD

Lol, you smuggle it in the house, make the eggs, THEN tell him about it afterward. If you have another tasteless oil lying around, that might do just as well?

• Like 1

5/17/2019 - 5/19/2019

giphy.gif

Because Skeletor, apparently

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

-

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 4/8

Buki Waza Review - 4/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Audit Grocery Bill - $780 ($880), $589 ($742), $486 ($550)

Audit Power Bill - $116, $108

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 79%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 2/4

Cat grooming - 1/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 6/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 50%

Drawing Japanese Characters - 2/4

Honesty

Marksmanship

- I still expect myself to check cat food/water, brush teeth, floss, and spray down the shower on the regular

Liar Liar - 8/27

We have some money, which is unusual. I bought some more workout clothes and that external harddrive since now seemed the time. Our new chairs came in, so we put those together and cleaned off the kitchen table--that space has a new lease on life. Watched some more shodo video and practiced that. I'm feeling a bit better in the gym than I have in a while, let's see how long that lasts. 

Forgot to brush the cats. Whoops.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Urgan said:

We have some money, which is unusual.

Why did I laugh so hard at this?? Is it because the truth hurts??? Ahahaha oh man.  ("Surprise, money!" always makes me nervous I forgot to pay a bill or 5............)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Why did I laugh so hard at this?? Is it because the truth hurts??? Ahahaha oh man.  ("Surprise, money!" always makes me nervous I forgot to pay a bill or 5............)

You know why we had money? So work could say 85% of my shirts are off the table now!

5/20/2019

giphy.gif

Debatable

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

I was very good today, considering

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 5/8

Buki Waza Review - 4/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Audit Power Bill - $116, $108

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 2/4

Cat grooming - 1/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 6/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 50%

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 9/27

Gym time featured a .5lb 5RM PR for bench, 92.5lbs that was 5x5'd. The annoying guy was there, but I jiu jitsu'd my way around him.

So...yeah, I spoiled the "highlight" of the day--work changed their policy on attire effective that day! Yay! The upshot is jeans are allowed, but no t-shirts or sleeveless shirts. Ever. No more casual Friday. Oh boy, sure you can buy more jeans to wear and you can hope to heck you have enough short sleeve shirts that cannot be construed as "t-shirt" for the week. Spoiler, I'm cutting it close. I decided to buy the same shirt sufficient for 3 days of the week, use a shirt that's essentially the same style as the bought shirts, and got a $3.60 men's button-down shirt on clearance partly because the 3 shirts were 3 whole cents away from free shipping, partly because I am really attracted to the idea of wearing a button-down on Fridays. With a t-shirt under it. And that will be my uniform from now on, because if you're going to cause turmoil, might as well take every last ounce of thinking out of the process from now on in exchange. I don't think I'll be buying jeans because time and money. Might be obvious, but I did not stay quiet during the meeting, so no points there. Not even sorry.

Speaking of money...so far I appear to be spending an average of $182 ($208) per week on groceries themselves + monthly Instacart charges + separate cat food/litter supply. This is within the upper end of average when shopping for myself--it tends to be in the $500-$700 range per month. I can count on one hand the times it's been higher than $800 at my main grocery store. Now I am being a lot more week-to-week in my considerations of what to buy, so we lose a bit in terms of surplus items "just in case," but for the purposes of gauging how much it costs for what we actually need it seems to be an acceptable level of cost for not having to deal with the full Shopping Experience.

Due to said clothing turmoil, I became highly motivated and finished my first aid training, along with starting to work on automated testing. Gonna try to install Python + Webdriver then see if I can learn the language. Shouldn't be the hardest part of the job--the hardest part might be the install or interfacing with the website to be tested for the first time. We'll see. 

Dojo time was hanmi kotegaeshi, the highlight of which was not losing balance and landing a knee on uke's temple. You know, might not be such a great idea. Luckily that did not occur. Came home and just did class review, because I had to clear out my closet to see what remained permissible for ze office gestapo. Not a lot, but enough to get me by until my new uniform arrives. Ate all of the food (2700~ calories' worth) because I was hungry and I'm not really fussed staying under calories, honestly. 

19 hours ago, Urgan said:

You know why we had money? So work could say 85% of my shirts are off the table now!

Where is the 'my head is on fire' react for this???

WORK UGH.  I just.  .... I'm sure with all of the company issues that could have been addressed, dress code necessitated every single one of those thoughtful and timely changes.

>:[

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shaar said:

Where is the 'my head is on fire' react for this???

WORK UGH.  I just.  .... I'm sure with all of the company issues that could have been addressed, dress code necessitated every single one of those thoughtful and timely changes.

>:[

You can definitely file that one under "Having solved all other problems..." or "We're going to take more half a year to come up with something that makes no sense." Your call. Whichever one you pick will be wrong, however. I'm not going to spend every morning wondering if this particular article of clothing  is making some dress code nazi's eye twitch. 

• Like 1

Who the hell decided that wearing jeans was doing workers a favor down here? I honestly don't get it. People wonder why I wear slacks, like I'm not casual enough and I'm like, "Yo, have you seen what the temp is reading today?" Can't pay me enough to wear jeans when it's like this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5/21/2019 + 5/22/2019

giphy.gif

Bring out your...oh, you know

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 6/8

Video Technique Review - 5/8

Buki Waza Review - 4/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 2/4

9:00 Dinner - 5/8

Cat grooming - 1/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 7/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 50%

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 10/27

Fear not, fair citizens, for I did not die yesterday. No, I got sucked into the usual less-than-healthy behavior pattern I adopted while trying to program--aka, neglect pretty much everything until all the problems are solved and the program works perfectly. I'm sure you can see the trouble with this scenario.

But let me back up. So on Tuesday I decided I was going to try to set up an automated testing environment. All by myself. So...I did. Kinda. I was going to go with Python as my language of choice, but ran into access issues which might require higher powers to grant me permissions, so I switched to Java and got all the way to installing Eclipse, which is the Java IDE (integrated development environment) riiiiight as it was time to go. Thank God I had to leave the laptop at the office, or things would have gotten ugly for my dinnertime, Japanese practice, and Aikido goals.

I finished the install on Wednesday and started programming my first tests. To appreciate what had to occur to make this happen, I needed to download Java, Chromedriver (a tool that lets Java and a browser, in this case Chrome, shake hands and communicate), and Eclipse. Next make them all talk to one another. Then and only then can you begin to plumb the mysteries of Automated Testing. Grab your hardhats, kids, 'cuz we there and I'm just about at a place where I could update my resume for the second time this month lol. Unfortunately I kind of got stuck trying to interact with a typeahead field (it's a text box that will autosuggest things to you as you type) because it's a jerk and won't take simulated key presses, only real authentic ones. Talked to a dev and he said there was a ~hidden field~ I needed to direct my attention to in order to really set the thing. Okie dokie, that's what Thursday will be for.

Beat it across town and did dojo things. We did a thing whose full Japanese name I forget, but it's grab + punch iriminage. Then we reviewed hanmi kotegaeshi, which after being verbally reminded what the technique actually was, we did alright. Oh, and the A/C was broken so we camped a stick fan and dodged small bugs that made the grievous error of taking shelter on the mat. Kept the whining down, utilized a joke instead. Got home to no husband (gone for work trip) and cat barf on the bed. Yay. All the clothes that are no longer seasonal/appropriate for work were piled on the bed, so I had to move that, first. I was also hungry and achy, so this was all the fun. What an end to a day. Still no cursing, although this week has put my will to the test in innumerable ways.

Once more unto the breach...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

the A/C was broken

Funny you mention this

It's been our first hot-ish-sorta week here and the amount of people calling with broken ACs made me think of All Of Our Plights and.....

Yeah.

It here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Funny you mention this

It's been our first hot-ish-sorta week here and the amount of people calling with broken ACs made me think of All Of Our Plights and.....

Yeah.

It here.

Hope nobody is shooting the proverbial messenger over their lack of climate control. 

• Like 1

5/23/2019

giphy.gif

The most accurate depiction known to man,

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

-

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 6/8

Video Technique Review - 6/8

Buki Waza Review - 5/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 2/4

9:00 Dinner - 6/8

Cat grooming - 1/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 7/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 50%

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 11/27

This was quite the day. For one, I am a Javascript-injecting h4x0r now. For sure. I solved a problem two people paid a lot more than me couldn't, which is always a small ego boost, especially when you know you are darn near instantly more marketable now. I'm going to slowly build some test cases without telling anybody else (aside from one dev whose help I needed to get the deets on that hidden field I had to tackle in order to solve said problem), because I don't want to have expectations put on me outside of what I'm already doing until I am super confident I can test some part of the whole site automated-like. 

For another, this was our 5 year anniversary. How do you envision spending an anniversary? Ours was him being on a 1100 mile round trip to NC in 24 hours to retrieve an engine. That's equivalent to two round trips to the coast. Through Atlanta twice. Through NASCAR traffic twice. Through some SC golf tournament (paging @shaar for a pain-share...). Twice. He got a hotel room at 1AM close to the SC border because see all that shizz he had to get past, which means 4 hours of sleep. He was so bad off I got the tacos for dinner and beat on him to try to preempt the usual post-trip migraines he'll get because being in a car as long as he does will make your muscles think they have fibrodysplasia. Also, in case you aren't aware, studies have shown that the greater SouthEast US ranks public speaking and driving through the Atlanta met as bigger fears than death itself.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

Indeed, may cooler heads prevail!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

OH SWEET BABY HAY-SUS THE GOLF TRAFFIC

THE GOLF TRAFFIC

100-yard stare into the distance...........

Bless him. Bless y'all. Phew.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shaar said:

OH SWEET BABY HAY-SUS THE GOLF TRAFFIC

THE GOLF TRAFFIC

100-yard stare into the distance...........

Bless him. Bless y'all. Phew.

I hope I didn't trigger your PTSD lol. It was A Day, for sure.

I somehow forgot to mention that Maggy barfed beside the bed, took one of my shoes, and put it on TOP of the pile. I woke up at 7:50 (had to leave by 8:15...). And a chipmunk decided it wanted to die on the road leading to our neighborhood. I...think I dodged him?? Such a weird day.

5/24/2019 - 5/28/2019

giphy.gif

I have questions

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

This is becoming a non-issue. I turn to the side, what you can't see can't hurt you.

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 7/8

Video Technique Review - 6/8

Buki Waza Review - 6/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Audit Grocery Bill - $780 ($880), $589 ($742), $601 ($712)

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 3/4

9:00 Dinner - 7/8

Cat grooming - 2/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 0

Silence is Golden - 8/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 75%

Drawing Japanese Characters - 3/4

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 16/27

Whew, it's been a minute. The magic of holidays, right? Let's see what I can remember.....

Friday - Decent gym session, unremarkable day aside from it being the Friday before a long weekend away from the office.

Saturday - I had to do gym things in record time to shop and be back home for a gathering of humans around food while out of doors, as happens from time to time. Every time this happens, I am massacred by insects, and this time was no exception. Socialing is hard.

Sunday - cleaned toilets, cleaned sinks, checked in with dad to make sure he was up-to-date (spoiler: he wasn't), watched some more shodo video, brushed the cats, lost my mind and tried to open up my laptop case because I was tired of the fan noise and heat generated by it. Got stymied by two possibly stripped-out screws, attempted to reassemble and had issues re-seating the RAM. Gave myself a small panic attack. Took the RAM out and put it back in. Turned laptop on. Success. I will never do that again with that laptop. The kicker is I started the operation at 1AM, because that's when it hit me like an itch attack.

I need to call this one in to a repair shop and determine if there is an easy fix or if the bother is sufficient to warrant budgeting for a new laptop and all the risk that entails. Best laptop currently on market for my needs, or so I thought, has BIOS problem (if this happens, the laptop will not complete boot-up. Yay, just what I need) that strikes random users. The research has begun, just so I won't be dangling in the breeze should it come to replacing my nearly 7 year old machine. It's a Vaio, so I will likely have to switch brands for the next one. This makes me much crank. 

Monday - Gym was open, so I did that and scored a bunch of 108lb bench singles. Ran around town running interference for a few things I forgot to buy on Friday and Saturday, bought ground coffee, chocolate (because grocery store is not selling the kind I like anymore.....), and Chick-fil-a fries. Husband randomly brought home a filet his step-dad grilled, which I ate and took advantage of Not Cooking for yet another day. Will wonders never cease? Did some technique video review in lieu of dojo time, because of it being Memorial Day there was no class and moved the books we rescued from my grandparents' property from idling in boxes to sitting on the desk airing out.

Tuesday - Worked from home. It was glorious. Somewhere in that ball of a weekend, I worked on trying on clothes/transitioning the seasons/putting up things that are now useless to me--aka pushing a lot of clothes on the top shelf in our closet. The majority of the trying-on happened during downtime. I've been staring at the office lately and it's kind of a disaster. Dust, misfiled books, non-office stuff in the office, items that need to be donated, cat barf in awkward places under furniture....those "new" books that need to be evaluated/cataloged if I'm planning on keeping them...that room has it all. Well, I pulled a bunch of books off the shelf (the entire Naruto manga from 1 - 46 anyway, or X-1999 1-16 or whatever?, among several print books), freeing up quite a bit of space. Dusted the shelves. Bagged some donatable goods between shelf and closet-cleaning. Made dinner--chicken, roasted potatoes, fried leeks. See, this is what happens when you don't have to commute. Also, a lot of complicated feelings arise when I start contemplating my library. For one, I'm wrestling with whether I want to try to do fiction again (the vast majority of my physical library is in fact some ratio of sci-fi and fantasy, so this is an existential issue of sorts). I think I might. There is a small "when" question I will need to answer like--do I want to try reading novels at the gym or is this going to be another attempt at non-gym reading time??

5/29/2019

giphy.gif

The Madness

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

Smooth sailing 100%.

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 7/8

Video Technique Review - 7/8

Buki Waza Review - 6/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 3/4

9:00 Dinner - 7/8

Cat grooming - 2/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 1

Silence is Golden - 9/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 75%

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 17/27

Gym was good, a got a 1lb morning 1RM PR on squat and rack pulls were fairly okay afterward.

Work is doing its best Chinese water torture impression with small, annoying changes that make me feel they were all designed to give maximum discomfort. Maybe just to me. I dunno. 

As a result I used a curse to best describe my frustration when I got to my parents' house. Speaking of their house, they're doing a partial reno of their kitchen this week and so I guess you could call my life a construction zone because power tools go off at random at work and there was dust on most everything at home, but no noise there because the heavy lifting had already been done. What a world. Dojo time featured maegiri work. Went home and reviewed that, did my Japanese practice, and did some reading in actual dead tree books that I have owned forever. Weeded a couple out right away, which surprised me a little bit but hey. Second win all day.

5/30/2019

giphy.gif

Not pictured: eggs frying in the background

武士道   (ぶしどう)

Justice/Rectitude 

-

Update Resume

Clean kitchen counters

Clean shower

Clean kitchen table

Clean toilet

Clean sinks

Clean microwave

Mop floor

Courage

Class Technique Review - 8/8

Video Technique Review - 7/8

Buki Waza Review - 7/8

Gun Research

Laptop Cleaning Research

Benevolence

Learn first-aid - 100%

Dad Programming

Dad Training - 3/4

9:00 Dinner - 8/8

Cat grooming - 2/4

Politeness

Curse Count - 1

Silence is Golden - 10/19

Watch Shodo Lesson - 75%

Honesty

Marksmanship

Liar Liar - 17/27

Thursday was a day. I had some actual work to do, and I finished creating an automated test, so I've managed to automate one of the "CRUD" operations on a page. One small step for man...one giant leap past two people who have a lot more programming experience than me trying the same thing and sorta giving up maybe? One of them was a "senior" QA guy who left soon after joining the company, so he may simply have not given it enough time to figure it out, but still. I'll take any honest-to-God win where I can get it, as they are RARE as autopsied bovine at work now. Finding bugs is really kind of blase. Every blue moon I'll find a really spectacular one. Dinner barely qualifies as getting started before 9 because bacon has to be cooked in the oven and water must be boiled for carbonara, so I sort of began in name only before 9. This put us eating really late. Not the funnest, but this wife works and gets home at 6, so there's not much for it. I've been skimming the first pages of several books in my to-read list, found another book that didn't impress me with its start so away it will go when I find a final destination for the unwanted books. That leaves a mere 181 books to read.